belt knife suggestions

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Nic7364, May 13, 2018.

1. Nic7364

Nic7364 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Ok guys I recently recieved a absolutely beautiful knife from @BogdanS (that I will be reviewing once I have some more experience with) the problem is that it is just too beautiful. I just feel bad when using it. I hope that over time that feeling will go away as it is an amazing knife. But for now I need a user, so here I am again asking for your suggestions on a belt knife. I will have it paired with a terava skrama, a bahco laplander and a Mora eldris. I will be using it as a general purpose knife, so primarily woodwork, food prep and general utility. I will not be using it to chop or beat on (with the exception of very small battoning), I want it for cutting and slicing, so I would prefer a thinner knife. I want something relatively cheap but if it really speaks to me I could be convinces to splash some money on it. Just to set the scene a knife that I am considering is the Mora Kansbol.
    Thanks in advance guys,
    Nic

P.S: I havent decided what grind I prefer so that does not matter at the moment. Also I would prefer higher quality steel. I like the simple design of the the esee 4hm but I want better steel than 1095 so I won't be buying it. I would prefer stainless but I dont mind. Also I have considered the terava 110 but have discounted it because I want a cutter and I dont have the power tools necessary to fix the fat edge.
    Edit: I have decide the best way to proceed is to use my knife mercilessly, so I can get over my self.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    gila_dog, PeterPNL, JasonJ and 2 others like this.
  2. Johnny Bearclaw

Johnny Bearclaw Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I would suggest a Mora of some sort, they can take a good bit of abuse and preform well above their price point. My biggest problem with moras as it relates to you is the food prep, so may I offer the suguestion of adding a opinel which is inexpensive but quailit, and excels at food prep.

Odie, central joe, Mikewood and 2 others like this.
  3. Richinva

Richinva Lover of Sharpened Bits of Steel... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    waiting for the pic of Bogdan's knife................waiting..................

4. Simplejack

Simplejack Scout

Blog Posts:
    Fact

Crusher0032, JasonJ, Odie and 3 others like this.
  5. MEC003

MEC003 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You could get an Enzo Trapper kit in various stainless steels with a flat grind. N690 would be fairly inexpensive or elmax if you want something nicer for more money. Variety of handle options too.

PeterPNL, 556mp, the_dude and 4 others like this.
  6. Odie

Odie Scout

Blog Posts:
    Seems like a Mora Kansbol should work fine for what you want. The variable grind should cover your intended use.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with 1095. An ESEE or a Becker would serve well. A Becker BK14 or a BK16 might also be worth looking at. I have a BK11 that I like a lot.

And finally, I'm sure any knife maker would love to know a knife they made is getting use and not just sitting there looking pretty, so you should use it.

7. Mikewood

Mikewood Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This is excellent advice.
    A knife for camp chores mora classic 1.
    A knife for food prep. Victorinox farmer.

8. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    This. In my opinion, custom knives look better once they start to age. The blade develops a patina and the oils and sweat from your hand darken the handle material and your well made knife looks like a well loved favorite.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  9. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    For a belt knife I have been coming back to the Kabar MK1 for 40 years, had and gave away several. Just recently bought another one. Always had the leather handled ones, but the new one has a rubber handle. It also feels well in the hand. Just my opinion, that and $1.00 will get ya a cup of coffee young fellar. joe

10. Nic7364

Nic7364 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Haha, as soon as I figure out how to upload it. If you go onto his sub forum you can see it there as one of the more recent ones. It is the one with white liners and bkack scales :).

Odie and CivilizationDropout like this.
  11. Nic7364

Nic7364 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I sure am using it, I just dont feel comfortable doing it.
    Nic

Odie, JasonJ and CivilizationDropout like this.
  12. DCPugh

DCPugh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Get an Esee, lifetime warranty no questions asked. They have quite the variety. It’s a good durable knife. I have 6 and never had an issue. If you need pics let me know.

Also you have Bark river knives and trade, they also have the same warranty as Esee. They come in a variety of steels and stainless steels. Just a bit more than Esee though. I have a brkt PSK in Elmax and usually carry it daily. Also if you need picks let me know

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Odie and CivilizationDropout like this.
  13. ACinSA

ACinSA Bring it, don't sing it! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    You are bound to get tons of recommendations pointing you back to Mora or ESEE. While I have several of each (with the Garberg and ESEE 4 my favs from the two), I get it. Something a little more rust resistant and more in line with slicing and general purpose use. A while back I came across a knife that I find is on my belt more than the others...as of late. I am talking about the Lionsteel M4 in M390 steel. It has a great feel in the hand, holds a fantastic edge and comes with a quality leather sheath. I think I paid $134 for it. For the price, it might be worth taking a look at for a GP blade.

Good luck!

Aaron

14. ExAF1N1

ExAF1N1 Purveyor of sharps and savory burnables. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    +1 on the Kansbol. Another option is the cold steel Canadian, which is a knockoff of the original Grohmann. The CS runs about $20 and sometimes less, german Krupp 4116 stainless. If you're a lefty, you can either mod the sheath or make some new pants for it.

JasonJ and CivilizationDropout like this.
  15. 556mp

556mp Bushwhacker Vendor Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Most knife makers will tell you that custom knives are made to be used, reguardless of how "pretty" they are. No matter the level of embellishment, they are a tool.

However, it is your tool and you are free to do, or not do, as you wish with it.

16. Crooked Penguin

Crooked Penguin Scout

Blog Posts:
    I would look in to the LT Wright GNS or Genesis, Enzo Trapper & Castrom's offering to start with. Or maybe a TBS Boar?

Just remember that if you go for a higher end stainless you'll be spending more time sharpening it compared to a decent carbon steel & you might have to get some diamond sharpeners as well if you don't have them already.

CivilizationDropout likes this.
  17. LostViking

LostViking Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Matt makes good sense.

Obviously, I like the Kansbol.

I think the ESEE HM 3 would be a nice choice also. (1095 is decent steel)

A flat grind Grohman #3 in carbon or stainless would serve you well.

For a good performing blade that's easy on the wallet. Perhaps the Russell Green River. I have one in stainless. Very capable blade. Those old timers knew what worked.

I recently acquired a Buck 117 Small Special. Nice size for a belt knife. It's in the middle sandwiched between the 119 Special and my 102 Woodsman.
    [​IMG]

I carried the 102 Woodsman happily for many years. Until I arrived here and found out what I didn't know. Hundreds of knives and thousands of dollars later. It's still one of my favorite knives.

And then there is the Buck Selkirk and mini Selkirk.

Or the Brahma and small Brahma.
    [​IMG]

Personally I think the Buck 103 Skinner would make a great belt knife. Sort of Nessmuky in its appearance. I don't own one yet, but will some day.

Actually there are lots of reasonably priced options out there. Decide what you are going to use it for the most and pick based on that. You will be happy most of the time.

CivilizationDropout and ExAF1N1 like this.
  18. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    Oh man.. Nic, I feel ya man.. I don't even have my BKK (Is that how we are going to shorten "Bushcraft-Kit Knives? I think so... :cool: ) in hand yet and am feeling squeamish about using something that nice out in the woods (still gonna do it!). But think of it like this, I always felt that you should have a blade for makin' stuff, and a blade for breakin' stuff. Bogdan's blade could be and is certainly well suited to the makin' stuff tasks. You use it to build things with, carve traps, toggles, make a chair, whittle something fun, do your fire prep, etc. You certainly aren't going to be hacking it into trees and beating it with a log or doing anything abusive.

BUT, given the premise you've set before us, and that it falls into my "Always have more than one knife with you" mantra, I'll play! Easily, the Kansbol fits the bill for what you've stated. Multiple grinds and functionality out of that blade shape and style, stainless- although not a "super" stainless, comfortable, well built, under $40 shipped to your hands. One and done.

Or not. See, like was said, there are only about 3,000 other knives that could also do all that. Most will cost more, so there is certainly a point of diminishing return from a practical standpoint, where you're going to start paying for the name, or a higher grade of steel you don't need the properties of.

An ESEE 4 or 5 comes to mind. A CIMA-1 clone would do if budget becomes a concern and under $50 is important, but blade steel will get reduced to just "adequate". Any of the Buck options that LostViking mentioned would be great, especially the Selkirk. That knife looks amazing and performs quite well too! A good 'ol Ka-BAR USMC knife would fit this as well.

So, good luck on the search... what I would do though is try out the Kansbol since you're leaning that way anyhow. Go out on an overnight, or 2 day in the woods (or backyard) and try this arrangement out and see what works and what doesn't. Where does the Kansbol fall short? Where does it excel? Then you'll know if you've nailed it or need to reassess.

Also, I will retract my post and edit it to be simply an image of an orangutan if you don't post pictures of your BKK (Bushcraft-Kit Knives) blade from @BogdanS really soon!

Mr. Tettnanger likes this.
  19. mosinjoe

mosinjoe Scout

Blog Posts:
    Buck 119. Yep. I said it. Not as fancy as some shown but still a great knife.

LostViking likes this.
  20. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael Supporter

Blog Posts:
    As always, everything above is a great suggestion, but nobody has mentioned the Hultafors HVK or GK knives yet. Dirt cheap, sharp, and bombproof. Also the Camillus Bushcrafter which is a fantastic knife that can be had for less than $40 if you're patient. I suppose I like the underdogs, but if I had one of Bogdan's knives, I'd use the heck out of it. They look to be excellent quality. Have fun!

21. Nic7364

Nic7364 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Im still using it. I just need something to use while I come to terms with it.
    Nic

556mp likes this.
  22. Nic7364

Nic7364 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I sure am using it, its a great knife.
    Nic

Crusher0032 likes this.
  23. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    People say the Buck 119, I own one but it is a bit large for me. I went with the new 117 because it was a good middle of the road blade in size. I do cary the 119 during bird hunting season because I use it for chopping in the brush.

24. Nic7364

Nic7364 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Exactly my thoughts. Thanks for the good comment Jason, I am leaning towards the kansbol. How do you post a picture on a mobile?
    Nic

25. Nic7364

Nic7364 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Nic

26. Nic7364

Nic7364 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the suggestions Aaron. Ill definitely take a look at it

27. Nic7364

Nic7364 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, I have had a bad experience with 1095 in my ESEE 6. Mostly edge retention and rusting problems (even though I live in a reasonably dry enviroment and kept it clean, dry and oiled).
    Nic

28. Odie

Odie Scout

Blog Posts:
    Have you contacted ESEE about problems with the knife? I'd imagine they'd be interested in having it checked out and sending you a new one.

29. Nic7364

Nic7364 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Why would they be interested? Isnt that just the way 1095 is?
    Nic

30. City Bushcrafter

City Bushcrafter Hooah!

Blog Posts:
    Just use your knife man! That's what they're for!

Odie likes this.
  31. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    The Terava 110 doesn't need any modifications so I don't know where you heard that. It's an excellent knife.

The Cold Steel Master Hunter in 3v is one of my favorites. I recommend it often.

The Kansbol is good but I wish the blade had the typical mora grind instead. But good for the price. The Garberg is good too but I'd take the Terava 110 over it.

I have all the knives I mentioned, plus a many more than I know what to do with, and most often I'll use the Master Hunter 3v. It does everything really well.

Odie likes this.
  32. 556mp

556mp Bushwhacker Vendor Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    1095 should have pretty good edge retention, but it will rust easily like O1.

Odie likes this.
  33. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    On mobile, via web browser on the phone/tablet you still need the image URL.. which you can get if you have it uploaded to a hosting site. It's kind of a pain. With Tapatalk I think it uploads to their servers to be hosted. If you want, just email me the photos and I will put them on my IMGUR and post them for you, or provide you the direct image URL so you can copy/paste it into your own post if you want.

On the rusting, yeah- kinda. On edge retention, definitely not. 1095 should be pretty darn resilient in that regard. My 1095/carbon steel blades all hold a razors edge about 20-30% longer than the same knife in stainless (and no, not like 7Cr13MoV cheap Chinese stainless). So there may be something off about the heat treat on your ESEE 6.

Odie likes this.
  34. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze Usual Suspecto Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    send it to me, i break it in for you !

freebirdfb likes this.
  35. Odie

Odie Scout

Blog Posts:
    I own both an ESEE Laser Strike and a DPx Gear HEST Original, both manufactured out of 1095 by Rowen, like your ESEE 6. I haven't had edge retention, nor rust issues with either.

With the high regard that most people have for Rowen manufactured knives, my first thought would have been that the knife may somehow be defective or possibly a counterfeit, if it wasn't purchased through a reputable seller.

And with the lifetime warranty and the way ESEE stands behind their products, it's worth contacting them and letting them know the issues you've had with yours. They would probably want to inspect, and possibly dissect, your knife and just send you a new one.

freebirdfb likes this.
  36. TheDandyLion

TheDandyLion Scout

Blog Posts:
    ESEE makes a Stainless version of the 4, but I have a feeling you wouldn't like 440c. The Kansbol/2000 is a marvelous knife. Very good cutting tool but the steel might not be quite what you're looking for.

For something a bit more... High qaulity.. I would say these are worth a look:
    Cold Steel Master Hunter: Comes in higher end stainless steel and CPM-3V.

Benchmade Saddle Mountain and Bushcrafter. Really good steels with these ones.

For a bit more money, the Spyderco Junction is a stellar looking knife.

And finally, the Bradley Guardian in one of the 4-6" sizes is worth a look.