Berkey Water filters

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by okcmco, Aug 27, 2014.

1. okcmco

okcmco Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    So, I am thinking about buying a Berkey Water Filter. It looks like it may be a severe winter in OK (according to the bunions and swollen knuckles of the old timers). Last winter storm that was serious, had the poser out for several weeks in some parts of OK. About a week for me in OKC. Oklahoma is just not that prepared for this kind of weather.
    Anyway I am going to try to get a 4000 watt generator and a Berkey water filter
    I was looking at the Big Berkey. But now they have the Royal, The Imperial, the lite, the travel and the go berkey. The Go is the smallest and lightest but has only one element.
    As I understand it, the Berkey system is top notch for protists, bacteria and viri as well as heavy metals and toxins. I think it goes downt o 1 micron.
    DO any of you have one of these filters? Thoughts ?
    I am tempted to get the Big Berkey with 4 elements. But it is big and would not fit in a BOB. However the small ones heve fewer elements and life span as well as reduced flow rate. None of them would be considered a back packing rig.
    WOuld be interested in any recommendations from Preppers who know tis system

Winterhorse likes this.
  2. tranders

tranders Scout

Blog Posts:
    We have used our Royal Berkey everyday to filter our very hard well water. It's going on 2 years with no issues other than I clean the filters with a scotch brite pad every week or so. I would advise getting the extra set of filters just for speed of filtering.It takes a full day to filter for our Royal model.
    We use the Black Berkey filters,but have seen ceramic versions also.

I think it's a great product.

Winterhorse likes this.
  3. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    We have had two Berkey Lights for several years and bought a Big Berkey about 18 months ago. They all have two of the black elements and we keep spare elements, just in case we ever need them. You have to backflush them occasionally, but it is easy and not a big deal. I personally like the Berkey Lights over the others because you can see inside them to determine the water level and see how fast the water is moving through the elements. The only drawback is that after several years one of ours developed a fatique crack in the plastic tub where the spigot goes in. We emailed them and they sent a replacement at no charge. You might get algae in the upper tub if you have a Light in direct sunlight. I highly recommend all Berkeys, my favorite is the Light.

JohnP

Winterhorse likes this.
  4. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Have a travel Berkey that is for taking up to the farm. We have a cistern with rain water, and the Berkey allows me to use it for drinking water. It is definitely not a backpacking item, it is a home or base camp item, but it works very well, and is dead simple reliable. Pour water in top, wait, draw water from spigot, drink or cook. I like them.

Winterhorse and Torrin like this.
  5. Scratch4x4

Scratch4x4 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the thread okcmco. And everyone else for the info. Made me think ahead of time as well.

Winterhorse likes this.
  6. itsken78

itsken78 Guide

Blog Posts:
    i would say just buy the black elements & use your own barrels or buckets. save you a bit of cash, & can make it as big or as small as you want.

7. Old Man in The Woods

Old Man in The Woods Tracker

Blog Posts:
    +1 on just the black elements. We have used the Berky Light for several years. No problems. Cleaned the elements once. I filter just tap water which is fairly clean to start with. We also have the white after-filters supposed to take care of heavy metals etc. I have constructed a portable filter using one black element in a 2 ft. length of 4 in. PVC pipe. Haven't used it yet, but expect it to perform well. I don't think they will take care of viruses tho. Everything else, yes.

OMITW

Winterhorse likes this.
  8. Cro

Cro American Grouch Hobbyist Lifetime Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Had the Big, broke the plastic through our own clutzery.

Agree with buying the filters and making your own. We re-purposed our four elements into a home made version and it works fine.

Winterhorse likes this.
  9. prmedic

prmedic Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the thread, I was always interested in these filters and wanted more Info!

Winterhorse likes this.
  10. Brommeland

Brommeland Scout

Blog Posts:
    We've used a Big Berkey daily for about 7 or so years and it is a fantastic product. However, before you buy, I would recommend doing some research - I have read report after report of the new style (flat top) black filters just falling apart with very little use. Once my last set of filters is toast, I am going to buy a Propur to replace it. It seems to be a generation ahead of the Berkey products now, and of much better quality than the new Berkey stuff.

I'd also recommend looking at Sawyer products. They make drip filter components as well.

11. WisconsinEric

WisconsinEric Scout

Blog Posts:
    The issue a couple years ago of the black elements breaking has been resolved. None of the 3 Berkeys my family own that are between 1.5 and 2.5yrs old have had that problem. Berkey was offering free replacement black elements to those that received black elements from the known bad batch that happened before I bought my first Big Berkey. The bad batch of black elements happened approx 3+yrs ago.

As for size, I feel the "Big" model is really only best sized for 1-3 people, and the "Royal" size I picked up for my Mother when she was going through chemo is really only best sized for 2-4people. Then again I drink a LOT of water.

If I'm "Bugging Out" I'm taking my lightweight MSR Autoflow or MiniWorks filters..... Yeah I know, they do little to nothing for chems and rads... But they are lightweight, and I'm a cripple.

12. CSM1970

CSM1970 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Water Filters

I am a big Sawyer fan and will be setting up a plastic bucket with one of the big Sawyer filters if we have another big blow. However, I work with a guy who bought the top of the line Berky filter that takes out everything down to sub-atomic particles and he loves it. I am not sure why he needs it everyday since the water in Houston is mostly pretty good. However, he is from Mexico and filtering may just be a habit with him.

13. okcmco

okcmco Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Thank you Scratch. I knew this crowd would have used them...

14. jimi

jimi Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was considering the Black Berkey filters to filter my tap water since my town always fails for its water treatment reports. However, there was one point that just met nagging me from buying the system, I could not find any independent lab studies on the filters to verify their efficacy. I have seen reports on the ceramic elements though and they seemed pretty cool. Please note that I'm not disparaging the product, many people seem to love it, I just couldn't get past the idea of why doesn't a company that claims to have such an amazing product, not have it tested by the NSF or some other organization.

Ultimately I ended up with a Multipure Aquadome. The filters were NSF tested and proven to reduce the amount of crud my township left in. The Multipure Aquadome is only supposed to be used on potable water though, so this might not be for you. They have a deal going on now where you get an emergency water treatment kit with it, if you buy before September 1rst. The kit says to purify the water with bleach or iodine before you filter and each of the 2 emergency filters are only supposed to last for 150 gallons each. Once again, this may not be what you are looking for, just throwing out the option.

As a final backup, I keep a Sawyer mini around for filtration. Some bleach and iodine. Along with a good pot to boil in.

15. okcmco

okcmco Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I believe the 4 filter system is said to cover viri

16. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    We lived in Houston for 35 years. My wife and daughter would not drink the city water because the chlorine was so strong. Two Berkeys fixed that, much cheaper than buying bottled water and even the coffee tasted better.

JohnP

17. CSM1970

CSM1970 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Houston water

It must vary by community and source. Ours is good without filtration. If you really want nasty water, move to Midland, Tx. Tastes like produced water from one of the local oil wells.

18. red elm

red elm Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    We have the aqua rain brand and like it. Same thing just different brand. It is used for everyday drinking water because our water is so awful. You won't regret getting one.

19. firefighter49

firefighter49 Scout

Blog Posts:
    The Black Berkey filters works so well it takes red dye out of water. which is the recommended way to check if the filter is working properly or finding leaks. I bet my life on them..... My kids ONLY drink Berkey water and have been used daily in our family for more than 4 years.

20. oldpagan

oldpagan Nature Worshiping Druid Supporter

Blog Posts:
  21. Tree Climber

Tree Climber Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Or you can make your own. All a berkey filter is is a fancy container with the filters inside. Buy the filters and get a two 5 gallon buckets. Put the holes for the filters in the first one, put that on top of the second one with the lid off, and then put a spickot on the bottom of the second one. Put the lid on the top bucket and when you need to filter water, put it in. The thing I said may not have made sense, so watch this.

[video=youtube;w21d_YXiOOU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w21d_YXiOOU[/video]

And here's the filter.
    http://www.amazon.com/Berkey-SSCF-9-Ceramic-Replacement-Filters/dp/B00BWIWW3C/ref=sr_1_sc_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1415756591&sr=8-8-spell&keywords=Burkey+Water+Filter+Replacement+Filter

22. jmoran92

jmoran92 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    If you are looking for prepper water filter, the Berkey has filters. Check it out

23. Ithica

Ithica Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have had a Big Berkey for about two years and am very happy with it. I purchased a scratch and dent unit that was in perfect condition. The corner of the retail box was slightly crushed. The components were all in the original packaging and in perfect condition. The Big Berkey is sized right for my single occupant home in an AZ desert climate. You could make one with five-gallon buckets and Black Berkey elements but it would take up a lot of space and I have to keep up appearances in my "designer" kitchen. My municipal water is from the Colorado River CAP canal and is pretty good. I intend to buy one for the Western Michigan RV I summer in that is on a so-so well water system.

24. purevwmetal

purevwmetal Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Get in touch with Matt from MPknives. He’s on this forum too. He makes excellent blades and could make what your looking for.

25. K7JLJ

K7JLJ Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've used the the Berkey and black filters for years and had a batch off the delams when it happened. They gave me 50% off new one, they did not replace them for free.

It's a good system for water that you think is pure but not one I would bet my life on. For a BOB they are too big or not efficient enough. I would get a pump for that.

Instead of regurgitating more, I'll refer to my post on the matter. https://k7jlj.com/2017/10/29/got-water/