Best backpacking Set up

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by charles, Jul 12, 2018.

1. charles

charles Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hello everyone, I have tried a couple different set ups for backpacking. A while back I purchased a DD Hammocks pathfinder tent as a lightweight tent, mainly for summer because it has a bug net and water proof floor. I then put a 10x10 tarp over it. I am always looking at ways to lighten my pack, what are the best summer backpacking shelters you all have tried?

JKR, Beach Hiker, central joe and 3 others like this.
  2. GoKartz

GoKartz Sharpaholic Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I’m partial to my Hennessy hammock. Comfortable, built in bug net, double thick “floor,” and I don’t roast alive like I do in a tent (especially when covered by a rain fly). The one I have has a small tarp, but I replaced it with a silny 5x7 - more coverage, more or less same weight.

Here’s a pic of it from a couple years ago, with the included tarp. Can’t say it’s the lightest option though - 3lbs.
    A5F1E72F-83B3-4D3F-AA5D-5EA1DCCC78B7.jpeg

central joe, Bobsdock and charles like this.
  3. charles

charles Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I’m tempted to try a hammock, they’re easy to set up and stay off the ground.

central joe, GoKartz and Bobsdock like this.
  4. GoKartz

GoKartz Sharpaholic Supporter

Blog Posts:
    All true! Eno makes some very comfy hammocks, and they’re super easy to set up. The one I have doesn’t have a bug net so it’s relegated to winter camping.

5. Bobsdock

Bobsdock Still going Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @charles there is a ultra lite bushcrafters sub forum here on BCUSA.
    Lots of great info. There !
    As far as the OP can't get much lighter than a tarp.Hammocks are good too.

6. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    Best, lightest the general consensus is a Dyneema fabric trekking pole tent. You can get under a pound for a shelter with a bathtub floor, bug netting, and vestibule.

I have to ask, why the tarp over the tent? Especially if you are trying to save on weight. Generally people only use tarps over poorly designed or sealed tents, or when they have not learned good site selection.

7. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    What I carry depends on season, location, and who's doing the actual carrying (me or a canoe, and how far). I've pretty much narrowed things down to these rigs:

For LA from about April to November, due to bugs, biting ants, snakes, and the requirement in that heat to be near water (which means cypress knees and lumpy ground), I am very happy with the Hennessy Hammock I've been using for the last 14 years. I use a McCat Standard tarp with it, but if backpacking, I sometimes carry the stock tarp that came with it (a tiny diamond.)

For LA the rest of the year, when I'm doing more actual backpacking, I like my BCUSA 10x10 in a plow point setup. If it's a bushwhacking trip, I sometimes strip down to just a couple triangles of poly tarp that velcro to my poncho, making a wind block.

For shorter trips here in LA, say under a mile or two, I really like the Whelen lean-to. Just wish it was lighter, as i'd use it more often.

For May-August trips to the Adirondacks, canoeing, I like the Hennessy (bugs.) In September/Oct, I go back to the Whelen if I can. On canoe trips then, I often bring both the hammock and the whelen, using the latter as a kitchen/living room.

8. charles

charles Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks!

Bobsdock and central joe like this.
  9. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    what does your current setup weigh? there's always room to go lighter, it just depends on what you're willing to give up.

my backpacing setup is an 11' DutchGear Netless hammock with Whoopie Slings that's about 16oz with 2 Metolius Mini II carabiners. I use an 11' Warbonnet Edge tarp in 20D Silpoly that weighs about 12oz with 30' of ridgeline, 4 6' guylines, and 4 Ti stakes. it's gone through some freaking awesome storms but I was in the woods so the rain wasn't coming at too much of an angle.

that setup is 1 3/4lbs and comfortable. I have a Fronkey-style Bugnet but most times I don't use it because it' 7oz. as I said, it just depends on what you're willing to give up for the sake of weight...

10. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Dream hammock -- https://www.dreamhammock.com/

11. charles

charles Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My summer set up is around 2 pounds(tarp and tent) and my sleeping bag and pad probably adds another pound. I’ve considered not bringing the tent at all and instead using a tarp shelter that has a floor and my sleeping bag has a built in bug net near the head.

Bobsdock and central joe like this.
  12. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm a fan of floorless pryamid tents paired with inner net tents - the config requires the least amount of fabric and poles for a double-wall, bathtub-floored, and still sit-up inside/2 person-ish floorspace for storing all my gear inside. It's the fastest set-up/take-down, and best for bad weather and bugs due to the modularity of the interior (free convertible between double wall tent <> giant vestibule), of what I've ever used. 1.5lbs / 2.5L with Polycryo footprint & stakes for the Gatewood Cape/Serenity NetTent and it doubles as a rain cape, which itself has a bunch of neat advantages (eg, my winter lunch/tea time bothy bag - I EDC it half the year).

charles and Bobsdock like this.
  13. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    IMG_2988.jpg SMD Gatewood cape with net liner is my go to when traveling alone, if I have company we sometimes use the SMD Haven with net liner. The new versoin of the Gatewood cape is pretty nice, lighter with much more packability. Bought my girlfriend a new cape and a little jealous when I compare hers to my older cape.

My girlfriend refuses to sleep in a hammock so I usually take my hammock set up when with other hammock friendly folks. I have a couple Dutchware lightweight 11 ft hammocks and a Double layer Dreamhammock that is on the heavy side @ three pounds for cooler temps. I use a Warbonnet Superfly or Mamajamba if I don’t expect bad weather or rain.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  14. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've only spent one night in mine so far and I'm already in agreement with you. The Gatewood Serenity is impressive at 21 oz or 1.25 lbs for a true double layer tent with bug net, bathtub floor, and vestibule.

Fair bit lighter than my set up too which is 1 lbs 12 oz.

20180524_165126.jpg

And to think I carried a 7 lbs shelter once upon a time.

charles, Bobsdock and reppans like this.
  15. Timex

Timex Scout

Blog Posts:
    I , don't have a photo of this set up....yet. One of my two tents (solo and a two person) and a 10x10 tarp or a smaller tarp. July in my part of the country is rainy. If fair weather is in the forecast then a tarp and maybe a bivvy sac. I like a tarp so I am not confined to the tent in foul weather.

16. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    2 lbs for tarp and tent? that's miraculously light...

also, what sleeping bag and pad do you have that weigh a pound each?

17. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
    charles likes this.
  18. charles

charles Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, my tent from DD weighs about a pound and so does the tarp, my sleeping bag weighs about 2.5 pounds, and my sleeping pad weighs about 2 pounds, I forgot the weight on those. My sleeping bag is a recon sleeping bag I forget the model, and my sleeping pad is a thermarest

19. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    Dang, that's were you can save a ton of weight and bulk (albeit not money :53:), you can easily drop 2-3lbs with a NeoAir and down quilt - you did mention 'summer' in the OP. You won't shave that much off your shelter, which is pretty good already.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 11:02 AM
    charles likes this.
  20. Draketake

Draketake Guide

Blog Posts:
    MJG,I think the gentleman just tarped out and rolled a sleeping bag underneath, looking at the picture. I dont think that tarp is over a tent. That said, I have tarped over a tent as the material was super dicey.

Have a great day.

Bob

charles likes this.