Best places for a camp off trail?

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by CupedGreenhead, Jun 8, 2019.

1. CupedGreenhead

CupedGreenhead Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    So far I have noticed that only in Wayne NF are people allowed to hike/camp/make fires off trail and out of the community camp places. Does anyone know of anywhere else? Also, any specific areas that are worth checking out? Looking to make good use of my time the remainder of this year with several 1-3 day trips off trail.

2. hlydon

hlydon Guide

Blog Posts:
    Wayne is pretty much it in Ohio as far as I know.

3. CupedGreenhead

Blog Posts:
    Should clarify - I'd like to be able to do some light fishing on some of these outings. So if you know of areas decent for a camp/fishing combo, I'd greatly appreciate the tip offs.

4. hlydon

hlydon Guide

Blog Posts:
    Several of us did two canoe/kayak trips on the Hocking River and camped along the River in Wayne. So the Hocking River/Wayne is an option. Not sure where you live or how far you want to drive. Burr Oak Lake/Wildcat Hollow (Wayne) and Timber Ridge Lake in Wayne are options.

5. DrJosh

DrJosh Tracker

Blog Posts:
    3869BD5B-A525-4470-A503-76ECF7C73851.jpeg When I lived in Dayton, my favorite was always Red River Gorge down in Kentucky. Worth the drive for the backpacking. Not as sure about the fishing.

CupedGreenhead likes this.
  6. Blackhawk45hunter

Blackhawk45hunter Pronounced sim-bee-duh Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Wildcat Hollow, Minkers Run, Lake Vesuvius, Avis Pond, the Hocking River in a few places and Hanging Rock all fit the bill for what you’re looking for and that’s just off the top of my head.

7. Chewie1314

Chewie1314 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Wildcat Hollow near Burr Oak State Park is probably your best bet, the full trail can be done in 1-2 days and you can camp wherever you like along the trail. It's also a stones throw away from Burr Oak Lake which has great fishing from what I heard. There are also miles of trails that ring the lake, but I'm not sure about their camping policy along those trails. Obviously not what you're looking for, but they also have "primitive" car camping available. I stayed there this past weekend for friend's birthday. The sites are nice, but a bit crammed together for my liking.

8. CupedGreenhead

Blog Posts:
    I am grateful for all the tip offs. Eager to get out in the great wild and enjoy nature once again.

9. Jack of the Wood

Jack of the Wood Scout

Blog Posts:
    @CupedGreenhead

My brother is big into fishing, and mentioned being able to camp while night fishing in OH. Apparently, there are many places you are allowed to camp overnight as long as you have a line in the water. Might be worth further investigation...