BHK Woodsman Pro vs LT Wright Genesis

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by OutdoorsFamilyMan, Sep 11, 2018.

1. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've been wanting a knife like this for a very long time. Ever since the Woodsman Pro was released I was drooling over it. Then the Genesis came out and it seems like it might have better ergos....I really want to trade for one of these two. It will be the first knife I've acquired in my top 5 grail list and maybe my last (I've been thinking alot abt what Tobiism said and I think if I had one of these blades, it might be it for me). Anyone have both or handled both? Any side by side pics? I find the Becker Tweeners and ESEE 3/4 with TKC scales fit my hand really well if that helps size up my hands.....
    I know there are lots of other blades out there but I'm really wanting my first kephart style blade...love that spear point....thanks

LostViking and junglas like this.
  2. junglas

junglas Scout

Blog Posts:
    I had a Woodsman pro that I traded for the Genesis in flat grind that I then traded for a Genesis in Scandi.

I say go for the Genesis in scandi. Both great knives. The Woodsman pro had a Sabre grind, I prefer the scandi. It might have been thicker too if I remember correctly... 3/16th? I don’t remember.

3. Obe-Wan

Obe-Wan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    4249DB32-C0FE-4508-8C14-818D89D24CBB.jpeg I just got a Scandi Genesis. I haven’t used it yet but I tell ya it feels great in the hand. I have no experience with the Woodsman but if you get onto Larry Roberts YouTube channel he discusses both knives.

Taking the genesis out for a walk tomorrow.

Cheers, Scott.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    LostViking, Kona9 and doulos like this.
  4. LostViking

LostViking Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @OutdoorsFamilyMan

This probably won't help. But I'll throw it out there anyway.

I have lusted over the Woodsman Pro since they first came out. I still wish I had ordered one when they were first released. But I didn't.
    I loved the look and the flap sheath.

Never picked one up.
    When I had funds one never popped up.
    When one popped up I didn't have the funds.

The WP looks to be a great all round field/camp knife. And I really like flap sheaths too. I would still snag one if the stars lined up.
    I think.

I have had three GNS and three Genesis. In different configurations. Saber, flat, and scandi. You just don't know until you try them.

Knives are so subjective. And I was a late adopter of the Kephart style of blade.
    But once I got on board with the Style, there was no turning back.

My latest Genesis, is a 3V Full Flat and I love this blade.
    I'm sure the FFG gives up a bit to a Scandi in wood working. But it gains on the meat and veggie slicing side.

***I am not trying to sway you toward or away from one type of grind.
    But rather to suggest you think about what you will be doing with the knife 80% of the time.
    Or at least the highest percentage of your use.
    And buy your grind accordingly.

@tobiism while making such a heretical post here, really does make sense. There is no perfect knife. He is wise beyond his years.

I can say that with some confidence. Because I have draws full of them. Some are better than others. Some certainly cost way more than others. Some are task specific, and shine there. Some are more general purpose.

From Randall to Opinel, my draws are well varied.
    I can not speak to the Woodsman Pro. Because, as of yet. I still have not even handled one.

I can say that of the three Gensis variants I have owned, plus one LT/BCUSA hybrid. My current version is my favorite. Not because it's a better knife. But because it fits a higher percentage of what I want my knife to do.

It may not be quite as feather stick talented as the scandi version. But it still feathers very well. And it rocks in the taters and onions. Slices bacon thick or thin, and can take tomatoes down so thin, you can almost read through them.

[​IMG]

It's not better than a scandi grind or saber grind. Perhaps it's not even as good.
    [​IMG]

But the knife fits my hand. The sheath works very well. And the grind does what I need it to do. I don't find myself struggling to do fire prep. And I find myself chuckling a bit as I do food prep.
    [​IMG]

Think about what you will be doing most. Then pick your knife and grind.
    There is no right answer here. It's up to your specific needs and uses.

I think you will be well pleased with the Kephart Style in any of its variations. It's time tested and versatile.

Hope this helps a bit.

Best of luck to you in your search!
    LV,

5. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Guide

Blog Posts:
    It helps a ton. That's a stunning blade. I'll take it. :4:

svh, LostViking and Kona9 like this.
  6. Kona9

Kona9 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I’m slowly coming to the conclusion that I like the Kephart style of handle best on my knives. Contoured handles are nice, but sometimes simpler is better. I have an LTWK Next-Gen which is just a smaller Genesis and it is very nice for that size a knife. I really need to get ahold of a Genesis. I often wonder if I had gotten one from the start would I have purchased so many others? The design is so simple. I did just recently purchase Bill Siegle’s version of a larger Kephart and really love the ergos on that knife. I would get a Genesis in whichever grind you like and run with it for a while. They come in so many variations, which @LostViking shows in his example in FFG with mountain finish on the scales. I also have the Fiddleback Forge production Kephart, but that one to me is only a Kephart in name. Not many elements in the design of the knife really scream Kephart to me. Great knife though.

GoKartz likes this.
  7. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Im Finding that not only do I find the spearpoint on kephart style knives most useful for my needs, I also love the handles as well. Not only does the simple handle allow for many grip configurations I also like how the blades Are slightly wider than the handle.. I like when the blade is even or slightly out front of the knuckles ( I think that's called a negative blade angle if I'm not mistaken). I also like when the handle curves around to the blade creating a sort of finger guard. I've tried knives like the PLSK1 where the handles stop short of the blade and your finger rests against the bare metal. I find it very uncomfortable

americanstrat98 and LostViking like this.
  8. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    I will end up getting another LT Wright knife, either in scandi, or saber grind. I had the bushcrafter flat grind, with 1075 a while back and didn't like it, so gave it to my son-in-law. many of LT's knives are now 01 tool steel, so they have made great improvements to their products.

americanstrat98 likes this.
  9. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    what is the difference between the 01 and the A2 steel on the LT knives?

10. Top Gibson

Top Gibson Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The Genesis is a great all around woods knife. So is the BHK Featherstick.

11. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    Also. Is the A2 of the genisus, a carbon blade, suitable for using with firesteels"

12. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Guide

Blog Posts:
    A2 is a carbon tool steel. By firesteels do you mean flint and steel or ferro rods?

13. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    Tks, I already just ordered the Genesis Scandi, A2. with leather sheath. Was refering to ferro rods, but found info in this sites arcives

americanstrat98 and doulos like this.
  14. doulos

doulos Guide

Blog Posts:
    I think you're gonna be happy Jay! :50:

JAY likes this.
  15. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Wanderer Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    This is only my humble opinion from owning both.

For an all around woods bummer, the Saber is truly the way to go. Excellent durable cutting edge. Okay at carving, but excellent at batoning. Skins game very well, extremely durable blade stock.

For a Craftsman, wood Carver the Scandi is the way to go. Excellent Carver, but edge is more fragile than the others when batoning, or worse yet, outright shennanigans. Okay at skinning, but stops at fleshing.

For an Outdoorsman, who hunts, traps, and cooks outdoors (stews ect.) The FFG is the way to go. Better at carving than the saber, less so than the Scandi. Slices well, exceptional game Skinner. Also spreads butter, mayo, and jam better than a butter knife.

Once you decide on that it comes down to preference of style, grip, and cutting power. The Genesis with its generous grip offer the most versatility during food prep, carving. The woodsman has an excellent game skinning grip, but it's less versitile at carving due to lack of rotational strength. The Genesis excells due to its slab side shape. the Woodsman Pro is by far the more attractive knives visually, bit utility goes to the Genesis for me. That's why I still have my Genesis.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  16. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I believe what you are referring to is a common misconception due to misunderstanding or misrepresentation of info (that was a lot of misses:4:). Firesteel is often used to describe both a flint and steel tool (like the ESEE firesteel) or a ferro rod (like the ESEE fire kit)..It can be confusing. I know Dave Canterbury preaches a lot about having a carbon blade to strike a firesteel. In this case it refers to striking the spine edge of your knife with a material that is harder than your blade (like flint or chert or some quartz). This causes small shards of the blade to come off as sparks...You DO need a carbon blade for that...However the way most people start a fire with a ferro rod, you do NOT need a carbon blade. You just need a knife with a 90° spine. I misunderstood that information myself when I got my first good knife. It was a Gerber Prodigy made from a stainless steel. I was bummed that I had gotten a knife that I thought wasnt gonna work with a ferro rod. But after more research and mostly just trying, I realized it worked perfectly because it had a sharp spine. I hope this helps

17. LostViking

Blog Posts:
    Just to be clear. The Full flat grind Genesis is no slouch in the feather stick department.

From yesterday,
    [​IMG]

18. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nice! That's definitely something I need more practice on.

americanstrat98 and LostViking like this.
  19. LostViking

Blog Posts:
    There's another shot in the Edged Tools and Beer thread!

americanstrat98 and Kona9 like this.
  20. Kona9

Kona9 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    And I bet it has a crazy wicked sharp spine as well. My Next Gen in FFG has what might be the sharpest spine of all of my knives. Firesteels tremble in fear when it gets close.

21. Pharmer

Pharmer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I had a woodsman pro and disliked the feel of it. It was smaller diameter towards the front of the handle and ended up being very uncomfortable to me.

I had a next gen which is similar but smaller than the genesis and it was much more comfortable for me.

The GNS is another good option IMO.

Good luck. Hope you find one you like.

22. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Wanderer Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Yep, the FFG spine is more acute than 90° . It makes an excellent scraper for fuzz or a fire steel.