Bib Overalls

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by TrailbreakerOutdoors, May 16, 2019.

1. TrailbreakerOutdoors

TrailbreakerOutdoors Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Been considering picking up some bib overalls for work as a guide. They tend to be warm, keep the snow out and are super comfortable. I can get a pair from work, Scotts I think, usually for snowboarding. But they are so damn baggy I can't really work in them. I usually wear some Sasta hiking pants, but I am sick of burning holes in them when I set up a campfire for folks. So I pretty much need something that is water proof/resistant, can allow for layering, can maybe be used for relatively strenuous activity like cross country skiing...but this isn't 100% and is definitely fire resistant. Typical activity is like, taking folks out in snowmobiles, setting up a camp for them and standing still while waiting for the aurora to come out, short cross country skiing trips, snowshoe walking, teaching bushcraft/woodskills, maintenance of snowmobiles, general maintenance, etc..typically winter stuff. But I also will do some guiding by canoe and hiking the rest of the year...but maybe they won't get much use in that regard.

I am open to some suggestions and I was hoping for some thoughts and advice because I have never owned a pair.

Heard good things about:

https://www.filson.com/mackinaw-bibs.html#sku=11014011-fco-000002085

https://danshuntinggear.com/bibs-bulldog.html

https://www.carhartt.com/products/c...ralls/Duck-Bib-Overall-Arctic-Quilt-Lined-R03

https://flylowgear.com/products/baker-bib#

Also looked at Patagonia, Arcteryx, Rab, Sasta, Fjallraven, Lundhags....etc

Anyone have any practical experience with these?

2. Scotchmon

Scotchmon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I wear bib overalls often. Denim, cotton duck, Carhartt insulated, etc.
    The Arctic Carhartts are heavy and not too flexible. While warm, these are always my last choice.
    For waterproofness, a choice may be a pair of Gortex(or other breathable bibs) and fleece under layer.
    Uninsulated duck bibs and a fleece under layer will take you a long way.
    Wool bibs are good as they breath well, are durable.
    Lots of options out there....

wvridgerunner and Holtzcraft like this.
  3. TrailbreakerOutdoors

Blog Posts:
    I usually just wear some fleece under a pair of swazi snow pants. However, they tend to rip in the backcountry and are definitely not fire friendly. But thanks for the advice, I guess I will scrap the Carhartts from the debate!

4. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't think I've ever worn bib overalls but I have worn insulated jump suits working on snow cats and working in a boat yard during the winter.
    Very comfortable in freezing weather especially on a snow machine.
    I also wore uninsulated jump suits as a grease monkey on the snow cats, but truth be told most of the time during the summer I much preferred levis and work shirt,

5. Logan Woods

Logan Woods Scout

Blog Posts:
    wvridgerunner and Holtzcraft like this.
  6. TrailbreakerOutdoors

Blog Posts:
    I had not really thought of a jump suit, but I do run in and out so a jump suit wouldn't be super practical. But we give them to customers

7. wisconsinwalter

wisconsinwalter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I metal detect in mine. I hate always pulling up my pants.

8. Robedsubset

Robedsubset Scout

Blog Posts:
    Carharrt is good stuff. I would imagine Duluth would be good as well. Their only downfall would be their lack of waterproof ability

9. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I’m wearing my Dickies brand Bibs this weekend. Likes my bibs...

10. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Your activity level is going to dictate what you wear, in conjunction with the outside temperature.

I have several sets of Carhartts and love them for their intended purpose. They are only stiff when new. Was once with a little bleach and the fabric will soften. Wear them often and wash regularly and they'll be like an old friend. Most of mine are between 15-20 years old and still in good shape. I wear them car camping, I wear them for work during the winter, I wear them working outside the house during the winter.

Uninsulated bibs are comfortable over jeans or long underwear from about 40°F to about 15°F, depending on activity. This is good for small game hunting other activities where you aren't sitting and need protection from thorns and brush.

Insulated bibs are good for stationary activities from around 35°F and lower for active activities. It needs to be pretty cold out to be active for long in them without sweating. Slow and steady walking, snow blowing unless you get below 15°F. The advantage of insulated bibs over coveralls is that you can add or shed insulating layers to your top to better regulate heat. Sometimes the bibs and a heavy sweatshirt is all that you need. They would be good for snowmobiling.

Insulated coveralls have their place. But it needs to be cold out. Below 20°F. They are more comfortable to work in than bibs and a coat, but your ability to dump neat is limited.

In either case, bib or coverall, you will have to partially undress if you need to poop while you are out. Moreso for the coveralls.

11. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I'm a big fan of the duck Carhartt but they are not water proof. More like a dish rag, but they do have some extreme wear that may be more water resistant.

12. TrailbreakerOutdoors

Blog Posts:
  13. wvridgerunner

wvridgerunner BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have been thinks about making a set of chaps from a pair of larger size carharrt or dickie pants and wax them and wear them over snow pants or snow bids for wear protection.

Scotchmon and Holtzcraft like this.
  14. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Standard winter fare here in Maine for outdoor construction workers, ice fishing, casual X-country skiing, snow mobiling, snow removal. Bibs make for easy body temp control when active. My old Walls and Dickies insulated bibs have served me well since the 80s.

15. mongo

mongo Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a pair of Carhart insulated knock-off bibs that I found for much less than a song and a dance. I wear them only for certain prolonged outdoor events. I love them.
    I have tried on regular old denim bibs..... they make me look like Junior Samples. NOT the young studly beast of a man Junior Samples, the OLD FAT Junior Samples. Not a good look for me.

16. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I really don't know anybody who looks good in plain overalls.

17. TrailbreakerOutdoors

Blog Posts:
    I guess wool wins out

18. Cheapeats

Cheapeats Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have 3 pairs of the walls insulated bibs each is a little different my oldest and most worn the bib part is insulated and zips down to the waist and the legs zip full length these have seen many ice fishing trips, overnight winter campouts, and campfires they are pretty baggy . The second pair the bib is not insulated the legs do zip full length and they fit slightly better think of them more as insulated pant with chest pockets and suspenders these are usually at work. The third and newest are the best fitting nut the zipper only goes to the knees the bib is insulated other than being harder to put on these are probably my favorites.

wvridgerunner and Scotchmon like this.
  19. weaselrunner

weaselrunner Scout

Blog Posts:
    Years ago when me and my buddies did a lot of camping and riding 4 wheelers, most of us wore insulated hunting suits. One guy however wore a ski suit. By the end of that winter, it was almost covered in duct tape from repairs, while the hunting suits held up. I work for an electrical distributor and we deal mainly with utility companies. During the winter I spend time outside handling stock and wear either a pair of insulated hunting bib coveralls or a hunting suit. I stay warm and the other guys are more than happy to let me deal with the outside things.

wvridgerunner and Sandcut like this.
  20. wandering.hobo

wandering.hobo Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Carhartts for me in brown, so comfy.

21. RTDoug

RTDoug Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was a survey crew chief for many years. I don't know how many pairs of Carhartts I wore out. For uninsulated, Dickies, Key, Carhartt. I wore the light insulated Carhartts in the winter in the Midwest. A combo of bibs and a coat gives much more freedom of movement than coveralls. It also lets you remove the coat and wear just the bibs if it warms up.
    Regards

22. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    86D5C214-DC3D-43C4-8C93-A174B7D6D220.jpeg

They are pretty much de rigueur if you ever want to go into the boiled peanut business in the Southeastern US. I have a pair of cotton/jean ones. Wear them sometimes.

Totally different from what you are talking about, of course. There, I got nothing.