Bicycle Riders?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by werewolf won, Jun 16, 2011.

1. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Looks good, congrats.

[​IMG]

Blackhills, Rogerkoz and 2jka like this.
  2. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yes, it is. I did ghetto tubeless on the stock tires. It made a huge difference in the quality of the ride.

Blackhills, 2jka and sdjsdj like this.
  3. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We don't get snow in Georgia where I am and there is no sand, so a fat bike just didn't make sense. That's why I decided to go with the 29r.

4. iahunter3

iahunter3 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    That looks like a sweet ride Riverpirate! Black or Red?

Blackhills, 2jka and GeoKrpan like this.
  5. Riverpirate

Blog Posts:
    RED

iahunter3, 2jka and GeoKrpan like this.
  6. 2jka

2jka Scout

Blog Posts:
    Looks good. If I am to stay with Trek for my next bike(probably not), that may be one of the bikes I go with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackhills, iahunter3 and GeoKrpan like this.
  7. BCBowtech

BCBowtech Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Ive got a Kona Hei Hei 29er.... Love it.. gets me everywhere..

Blackhills, GeoKrpan and iahunter3 like this.
  8. iahunter3

iahunter3 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Nice avatar pic BC! I can't decide whether to go 29er, Carbon Synapse, Carbon Domane for my next ride. I spend a lot more time on roads and paved trails as there isn't a lot of single track here in Iowa. We do have snow.. 29er would get me off the trainer in the winter...

Blackhills and GeoKrpan like this.
  9. BCBowtech

BCBowtech Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thank you... I would highly suggest a 29er... I raced downhill and XC for several years in my younger days... And I must say a 29er is a pure pleasure to ride. The larger tires suck up a lot more bumps, climbing is much easier and downhill speeds can be pretty damn good..

10. BCBowtech

BCBowtech Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thinking of rigging up some way of attaching a scabbard to it for my rifle or shotgun.
    [​IMG]

11. TraditionalbyChoice

TraditionalbyChoice Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I raced downhill/free ride since I was 9 years old, I'm 18 now. I stopped racing a year and a half ago, as I didn't have the time to practice with school going on. I can tell you though in college if I get another chance to race you can bet I'll be right there. I raced with a 2012 specialized demo 8 ii that was built with a fox 40, Shimano zee components, Easton rims, a dhx 5.0 with a 400lb coil in the rear. I sold that bike on pink bike a few months ago and I honestly miss it. What I don't miss is the amount of bones I broke racing, wrists twice, knee, ribs, hand, fingers, and my left ankle. I also broke my femur right above my knee, which required me to be in a cast with crutches practically the whole winter.

Blackhills, iahunter3, 2jka and 2 others like this.
  12. sdjsdj

sdjsdj Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for sharing. I now know why I never took up downhill at even a recreational level. Speechless...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

13. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    A gravel bike is my road bike. I run skinny tires on the road. My buddy just got got a Synapse with electric shifting and hydraulic discs. I reckon there's lots of dirt roads in Iowa, not many in SoCal.

Blackhills, iahunter3 and 2jka like this.
  14. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sheesh, you're a bag of bones at only 18.

15. 2jka

2jka Scout

Blog Posts:
    Idk if downhill is the place for you with all those injuries in college then. Injuries are much more of an issue at that point. I am still recovering from my separated shoulder and its been 3 months at this point. Maybe Enduro, slalom, and or XC.
    If Rensileer does have a collegiate cycling team, definitely join it though. I wish I could.

16. iahunter3

iahunter3 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    We have gravel roads... lot of them, mostly square 1X1 mile sections. Picture dirt with a mix of 2 inch rock all the way down to pea sized rock. The road conditions change with the weather, hot and dry is somewhat like riding on marbles, wet/damp can be anywhere from grease consistency to hardpack. I currently have a Aluminum Synapse, which I really enjoy (2k miles/yr) and a Aluminum Quick 4 with disc and 42's, which I don't ride much at all, maybe 150 miles a year. I bought the Quick cheap in an effort to develop a gravel touring rig, but it just isn't comfortable enough to put the miles on (possibly the flat bars and my lack of core strength?). Maybe I'll ditch the Quick, turn the aluminum Synapse into my Daily use/abuse bike and buy steel or carbon frame for road rides/comfort..

I did see some Titanium frames on Nashbar a while back on Sale... Never ridden Titanium before and I need a winter project bike!

17. Riverpirate

Blog Posts:
    You young guys are going to wish you never did that stuff to break all your bones in the future. Advise from an old bull rider.....

18. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    I broke those bones over a 7 year period (none were complete breaks, just fractures).A few weren't completely broken by mountain biking, they were injured during races but snowboarding ended up doing them in ( my ankle, wrist and knee). They were mostly early on when I first started racing, as I didn't have the skills I really needed.

I agree though, that Enduro/xc would be better for me, less of a risk. Most colleges are only cross country teams, and I'm fine with that.

While I healed quickly when I was younger, it doesn't mean I'm going to heal quickly now, and I can't afford a injury now.

19. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    I was tempted by a few ti frames I have seen there and on ebay over the past few months. A winter project would be pretty fun to have.... although, of the 2 choices you had either carbon or steel, I'd go steel. Carbon is light, and has some nice shapes, but nothing matches the ride quality of steel, steel just feels "right".

Could any of you guys recommend a decent set of winter riding gloves? I need somthing, but I don't want somthing that will be too hot in Temps around 30 degrees.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  20. 2jka

2jka Scout

Blog Posts:
    @TraditionalbyChoice
    These are the gloves that I use for literally every ride MTB and Road.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Winter WindStopper Thermal Fleece Bone Skeleton Cycling Gloves Outdoor Sport Bicycle MTB Racing Full Finger Cycling Riding Motorcycle Protective Hand Gloves for Women Men Black (Large) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017B8SAAK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_XDzwyb5Q70CRA

They are brushed on the inside to help for warmth and have a somewhat wind resistant outer layer. They breathe ok. I find them comfortable @30degrees F but they are woefully thin in windy 20 degree days. I replaced my last pair only because I tore them up in a crash. With that being said, the Velcro will be the first things to wear out. You may need to replace that. Otherwise they are great.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  21. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    The Quick 4 with a dirt drop or upside down north road bar should be plenty good on the dirt. A flat bar doesn't ride as well on a no suspensin bike. The only drawback is the rim brakes.

PS Bikesdirect has beautiful titanium bikes for the price of aluminum.

[​IMG]

Blackhills and Rogerkoz like this.
  22. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Those gloves look good and are a smokin' deal.

Blackhills likes this.
  23. BCBowtech

BCBowtech Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Im 38 now.. I stopped racing at 22... Due to a major crash on Whistler... Let me tell you.. The arthritis pain I endure now on a daily basis is terrible... Doc says my arthritis in my shoulders and knees is about what a 70 year old man would be feeling. Ive had to have one surgery on my knee now and a replacement is probably not far off in my future either..

If I could go back and do it again, I would have just raced XC..

24. iahunter3

iahunter3 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My quick is actually a Quick CX (mis-spoke earlier)and bit older than that, but it has mechanical discs!
    Been thinking about changing to drops, but am a little apprehensive about changing brake levers and shifters.
    I guess I've got all winter, may just go for it.
    CannondaleCX.jpg

25. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Maybe try a set of dirt drops, they have a different shape than a road drop.

Something like this
    Origin8 - Pro Pulsion Alloy Gary-2 Handlebar, 530 x 25.4mm, Black

Only thing you have to check is if your bars are 31.6mm or 25.4mm.

Changing brake levers and shifters are pretty easy, there's good how to's online, and if you were to get stuck any of us here could help you.

If you decide to get another bike, take a look at bikes direct. Quite a few of us here have bikes from them, and I cannot suggest them any more to people looking to get a bike.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  26. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    How do they fit? I normally ride with a size large glove (fox and troy Lee designs), for that price I'll grab a set to try out.

I'm thinking these gloves for days around 30 degrees, and getting a set of 45nrth bar mitts for anything below 25 degrees. I might just order a set of the rock bro bar mitts. They are $19.99 with free shipping but they come from china. A added bonus is I could use these with my 03' yz 250 if I wanted to.

[​IMG]

27. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Great, it has discs. The levers and shifters would slide right on a north road bar. You'd have to file out the clamps with a drop bar. It's easy, I've done it, totally works. MTB bars are 22.2mm in diameter, drops are 23.8. I'd get a Salsa Woodchipper dirt drop and do the filing. The really good Tektro Draco hydraulic discs can be had for $50 a wheel, Shimano are just a little more.

Blackhills and iahunter3 like this.
  28. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Which bike would you run a dirt drop? I think it would be dicey with front suspension. There is a problem with dirt drops, slipping handlebars. It's all the leverage it exerts on the stem clamp. 31.8 is better than 25.4 in this respect. On 25.4 bars I use a 31.8 stem and 25.4 to 31.8 shims. I file the paint off the inside of the stem clamp and file the inside and outside of the shim to rough up the surface. I also use Park SAC-2 anti-slip paste. If all else fails I drill a hole and put a self tapping screw in the handlebar.

PS I recently saw that there is now 35mm stems and bars.

Blackhills likes this.
  29. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Not cold enough for bar mitts in SoCal but what a great idea.

2jka likes this.
  30. iahunter3

iahunter3 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    All your knowledge is awesome, thank you for sharing... save me a lot of headache and hassle, especially shipping the wrong parts back and waiting for new parts. If I'm ever in either of your neck of the woods I owe you both refreshments!! Checking on Woodchipper and hydro-discs!

31. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    I was suggesting the drops for iahunter... I have no use for drops. My bars on my fat bike are 35mm, which can be a pain if I ever have to replace the bar or stem. I have yet to find out what the advantage is to 35mm, but they feel and look more robust.
    [​IMG]

32. 2jka

2jka Scout

Blog Posts:
    They have a sizing chart in the pictures. Defer to that. I fell smack dab in the middle of a medium and a large and both sizes worked fine. I prefer the fit of the larges as they afford a bit of room so the gloves aren't skin tight. They are warmer that way. For the price, why not order two? One of the size you normally wear and one a size up.

33. sdjsdj

sdjsdj Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Bar mitts rock

34. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I wish there were 35mm dirt drops. 35mm are less likely to slip. I never had a problem with riser bars slipping, not until I started using dirt drops.

Blackhills and 2jka like this.
  35. 2jka

2jka Scout

Blog Posts:
    So I'm curious what are you guys' max power output? So far according to starves its 332 watts:
    [​IMG]
    But I can tell you that my hardest effort had me tasting blood in my nose and the back of my mouth this was that effort:
    [​IMG]

Just curious...

36. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Is starves like strava? I have strava, but I cannot find a power output in watts. I think I need the premium version of strava for that.

I'm going to order 2 sets of those gloves later, one for mountain biking, and another for a backup/ set for riding my yz 250. For that price I can't go wrong. I was going to order a set of Troy Lee ones but the reviews said they were a regular glove just marketed for the winter. Even if these don't work out for the winter, as a regular glove for the spring/ fall it would work out great!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  37. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have no idea what my max power output is. A crank that measures power output would be needed for that. Strava could only provide average power output. I just saw a Durianrider vid where he says you'll go better if you avoid reaching your max power, that is, spin rather than mash. Mashing loads up the legs with metabolites and tires them. If two people have the same lap time they are using the same watts. The one who maintains the steadiest power output will have more left at the end.

38. 2jka

2jka Scout

Blog Posts:
    Easier said than done when riding a single speed bike. Thanks. I am a pretty large proponent of spin to win. That's why I run my bike 42:20. That ratio is maddening on the flats through, at some point you just cannot spin any faster.

Blackhills, Spinymouse and GeoKrpan like this.
  39. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Single speed is a whole different animal. I rode SS only for a few years. I settled on 46x16. Just high enough to hang with the roadees on the flats. Climbing was standing only. I calculated 30mph was 120rpm. I could do that briefly. It was hell going back to geared. SS technique just doesn't transfer.

40. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
  41. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Madd skilz.

42. sdjsdj

sdjsdj Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Got the 26 x 4 as well as the 29er wheels and 2 pairs of cross country skiis loaded up in the car and am going to head 'up north early Monday morning' to do some adventuring in the National Forest. Probably sleep in the car. Taking the dog and going to makes some fires and practice some skills.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    Blackhills, GeoKrpan and 2jka like this.
  43. 2jka

2jka Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like fun. Good luck, don't freeze.

Blackhills, sdjsdj and GeoKrpan like this.
  44. MichelVH

MichelVH Tracker

Blog Posts:
  45. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Merry Christmas!

46. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Merry Christmas!!

2jka and TraditionalbyChoice like this.
  47. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I saw the pic of your bike and thought, he's not from the US. When I saw you're from the Netherlands it made perfect sense, there are few bikes like that here. Cheers to the Dutch for having the sense to cycle and not drive. I read where somewhere in Europe they are thinking about banning the sale of internal combustion cars. The writing is on the wall.

UOTE="MichelVH, post: 3177543, member: 84116"][​IMG]That's my bike! 10 Years old and still kicking, haven't had any issues with it, only had to glue op some inner tires every now and then. It's now in the shed, a few weeks ago some d!ck in a van cut me off the way and then stepped on the brake really violently so I crashed into the back of the van: ripped front fork. So the new front fork arrived a couple of days ago, now it's the holidays I finally have time to fix it. Great city bicycles, but I do all my outdoorsy stuff with it.

This is the typical Dutch men's bicycle by the way, really old model. Everyone cycles to school or work here, 20 million bikes to 16 million Dutchies:p[/QUOTE]

48. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
  49. MichelVH

MichelVH Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Oeh, sweet! I'm a sucker for classic bicycles, love the military surplus ones too. I'll get a good MTB some day though.

50. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Got into my first choice for college, all that hard work pays off!

I guess I'll be attending the Rochester Institute of Technology next fall.

Got a ride in today, felt like I was mud bogging with all the excess water from the melted snow.