Bicycle Riders?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by werewolf won, Jun 16, 2011.

1. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I saw a fixie hipster on my morning commute. He thought he was going to be faster than the old fart, ha!

Same thing happened the other day with a teen on a BMX. He made his move on a freeway overpass. He stood, probably thinking I wouldn't, or, couldn't, surprise surprise. He was good!

Blackhills and Ugly_Barbarian like this.
  2. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Crazy!

Blackhills and plumberoy like this.
  3. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    $600 for the bike, $700-800 for the Bafung kit, leaves $600-700 for a battery and whatever else.

Blackhills likes this.
  4. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    The Battery Blocs guy does not believe in using a BMS (battery management system, I think). He uses something called a hobby charger and charges each "cell" individually. He also installs warning devices on each cell that sounds an alarm for abnormally low voltage. He says his batteries last three times longer.

5. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    The 20 mph law needs to go away. It's holding back the development of a really good means of transport. If it only goes 20 on the flats it won't be much of a hill climber. Any car can go 100 mph, it's up to the driver to obey the law.

6. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    I had a friend ask me if I rode down a local street? I said yes Why ? his girl friends teenage son and his friends were messed with adult riders by swarming them 4-5 kids .
    He said the girls were hassling the teenage boys because they couldn't catch a fat guy on a granny bike (Schwinn speedster 3 speed):4:

7. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    That is most excellent.

8. TraditionalbyChoice

TraditionalbyChoice Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use a charger like that for my drone and rc cars. It's called a balance charger. The charger makes sure each cell is charged to the same voltage, so that during the charging process, no cell has a hif her voltage than another.. It charges them fairly quickly and the batteries do last much longer. I was getting like a year out of a battery before it didn't hold a long enough charge for my use. Now I haven't replaces a battery since (3 years ago I got that charger). My drone and rc cars have a voltage cutoff, so it makes sure to not let the cells deplete too far. I use lipo batteries in them though, and Lipps cannot be discharged too much. They have 2 connectors coming out of the charger. One for the battery lead, and one for the balance port. I used to race remote control cars as a hobby (both electric and gas) and I swore by these chargers.

Forgot to mention, these chargers you choose the numbers of cells the battery is, and then you can choose how many amps you want the battery to charge at.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Blackhills, plumberoy and GeoKrpan like this.
  9. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Called the shop and they sold the bike last week. They said they might be getting another in. I'll keep you updated.

10. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yes, it's probably exactly the same kind of charger that you use.

11. bbwolf

bbwolf Tracker

Blog Posts:
    ?????am i missing something here? my recumbent trike on flat smooth surface i can maintain about 20mph, just last week i hit 29mph in a sprint, i cant speak for upright diamond frame bikes, but my laid back recumbent with common 24 speed gearing has no problem breaking 20, start getting into 32 , 48, 80 speed trikes there is absolutely no hill to steep, and if a person has the leg strength and endurance 3o 40 50 mph is attainable, i believe right now the fastest on the books is at or over 85mph, i'd love to have to power and endurance to do that, i'd purposely get a speeding ticket, i'd walk up to that judge with a sh*t eating grin on my face and proudly admit my guilt, gladly pay my fine, then i would have that ticket framed and hung on my wall for all to see!

12. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Got my 29 plus muddy:4: didn't ride much just 2-3 miles hit a friends pond then rode down along the creek and threw some flies with my Christmas tenkara rods. I actually was spinning in places this thing is geared so low
    [​IMG]
    caught several fish these are the first caught on my new rods Crappie on a 8 ft Wetfly komodo creek rod
    [​IMG]
    Blue gill caught on a TenkaraUSA Iwana rod
    [​IMG]

13. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Looks like fun, caught a 3lb 2oz crappie 2 weeks ago. The state record I believe is 3lbs 11oz. I was close. Ill see if a friend took a picture of it.

Edit: The record was 3lbs 12oz, and it was set in the same lake I was in, Sleepy Hollow in Greene County NY.

Blackhills and GeoKrpan like this.
  14. Ugly_Barbarian

Ugly_Barbarian Scout

Blog Posts:
    Supposedly I live in Vegas, but as I type this I'm
    How do you like the tenkara rods? I was thinking about them, but currently in southern Nevada (desert doesn't have great fishing); with plan A to be building a cabin within next 18 months on one of my properties in S.E. Alaska (big fish). Do I need to build a pond for appropriately sized fish so I can use a tenkara rod?

plumberoy, Blackhills and GeoKrpan like this.
  15. bbwolf

bbwolf Tracker

Blog Posts:
  16. bbwolf

bbwolf Tracker

Blog Posts:
    build what you want just use discretion and dont get caught, i know a few ebikes that would probably be better described as a e motorcycle lol, and never heard of them getting harrassed by cops, one a friend of mine his does about 40 mph he almost got a ticket for a accident he was in but a supervisor told the patrolman not to, i doubt most cops are gonna do the math or run any test to check the power output of your ebike, most cops probably dont know ohms laws, or have the means to do any test, i found most cops dont like to be inconvenienced, or waste alot of time on trivial stuff i've had them just walk away from me while i was insisting i didnt break any cycling laws, but if your in a 50mph zone and your passing cars that might peak his interest?

plumberoy, Blackhills and GeoKrpan like this.
  17. Blackhills

Blackhills Scout

Blog Posts:
    That's awesome. :dblthumb:

plumberoy and GeoKrpan like this.
  18. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yesterday saw me take my first venture out on the steed after a long illness earlier this year. Just under 40 miles, mostly flat but at a fairly brisk pace and was pleasantly surprised at how good at felt. Wee bit tender around the nether regions this morning but nothing too bad.

Maybe I'm not as out of shape as I had feared. Of course the second ride is often the real test.

19. bbwolf

bbwolf Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Maybe I'm not as out of shape as I had feared. Of course the second ride is often the real test

everytime i recover from a illness or injury, and i start to ride again its like starting over from scratch,

20. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    There's some disused infrastructure in the middle of the 101 freeway. I never gave it much thought. It turns out it was built for a tramway. Caltrans approved it but the federal DOT rejected it. The automakers and oil companies didn't want it. Disgusting! Same for electric bikes, the motoring interests don't want them.

21. Blackhills

Blackhills Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think a big part of the problem is that in the US, most people see bicycles as toys rather than a viable means of transport. There are pockets where that isn't the case but it holds true in most places. That is not the case in Europe and that's why e-bikes are much more accepted there.

And yes, certainly the automobile lobby sees them as a negative and they are very powerful.

GeoKrpan likes this.
  22. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    I am planning a day trip tomorrow I haven't rode many miles in April so I am not sure how much I can do I hope for 35+ Suppose to be nice I have food and essentials packed Cuban Yoyo in case I want to fish a little, tire aired up

Tenkara is for smaller fish 2lb and under is its sweet spot I have 4 rods and it is my main way to fish for pan fish. I fish Cuban yoyo handlines for bigger stuff

23. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Gotta love Jenson usa. Ordered a set of brakes for the stump jumper, Shimano xt's and a new set of Dakine gloves for this summer. I ordered them Saturday night, and they were at my front door here in NY yesterday. From CA to NY in 2 days. Can't recommend them enough, the prices were great also!

Anyone see any of the sea otter new gear and bikes coming out? Manitou made a 150mm fat bike fork. I'd like to try it on a foes mutz full suspension fatbike.

24. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Gotta' love Jensen, and, Shimano discs, any Shimano discs. My $32 Shimano discs from Jensen work as well as any I've tried.

25. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    My brother lived in Michigan for 9 years, rode a bike everywhere, even in winter. People thought he'd lost his drivers license for drunkedness, or, he couldn't afford to drive. There's that kind of mentality, even in SoCal.

26. teotwaki

teotwaki Scout

Blog Posts:
    my 17 year old Specialized Enduro out with me exploring old fire roads

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  27. bbwolf

bbwolf Tracker

Blog Posts:
    man i miss riding my mountain bike!!

28. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    made my 35 miles and then some :dblthumb:63.75 miles made it to the north end of the little Miami scenic trail . this trail is a state park 50 ft wide 73 miles long

29. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Dude, that is a serious ride, wow. What bike did you ride?

plumberoy and Blackhills like this.
  30. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    If it still works, keep riding it. In 2002 I got a Marin Attack Trail. I hated it. My no suspension 29+ is a far better bike, I love it.

I knew you are in California just by looking at the pics. Where is that trail?

[​IMG]

plumberoy and Blackhills like this.
  31. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

32. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Although it was sunny this morning, the forecast was for snow this afternoon. So I took a break from sewing soccer balls and snuck in a quick 9 miles on the washboardy dirt roads around my 'hood. There were a few snow flurries - just enough to make me feel like a badass but nothing major. Of course, three hours later, the sun is shining once more and it's about 20 degrees warmer. Hey ho.

plumberoy and GeoKrpan like this.
  33. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just added a Trek Duel Sport to my fleet. Been riding a lot lately. Mostly my Carbon road bike. 20 mile every evening after work.

34. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Snow? Dang.

35. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Recounting my experiences on my Saturday road ride. I was just riding along with Fred, no, not "a Fred", a most unfortunate name for a cyclist, on his Cannondale gravel bike with Lefty front suspension. A big group comes up from behind, the CVC cycling club, a big local club here, led by the fastest bully in the group on a "full carbon" time trial bike with all the latest, overly fastidious, overly expensive, anal retentive, roadee accoutrements. He picked me apart, my apparel, jeans, t-shirt, back pack, turquoise commuter shoes, my bike, gravel bike with goofy, uber wide dirt drop handlebar with homemade grips and no other handlebar wrap, riding the drops only. But the best was telling me I couldn't do the Belgian Waffle ride with my setup, a 140 mile ride with 40 miles of easy dirt. The light turns green and he and a few others sprint away, gotta' show these Freds who's boss, with Fred and I in hot pursuit. After a couple of minutes it's obvious that their vicious attack did not work, the Freds, me and Fred, have not been dropped, and some of them have been dropped. Now, there's only four riders left, bully and clubmate, and the Freds. Bully puts in another hard effort, no dice, and we approach a hill. I made my move halfway up the hill, stayed seated, Fred and clubmate dropped, it's mano a mano, me and bully. Near the top of the hill bully says, you went too early, but he couldn't come around me. He was a good sport, punched my fist. The light was red, the rest of the group caught up, they turned right, Fred and I went straight.

Bully made a comment that didn't sink in until later. He asked me if I was on a single speed, twice. Five or more years ago I did the CVC Saturday ride on a single speed. It had a lot of climbing in it. There were more people behind me than in front. Five or more years later they still haven't forgotten.

The next encounter was three guys, one of whom I regularly see at Coffee Bean, for years. He's always friendly, but I'm on my 35 lb touring bike,in jeans, and he and his cohorts are on uber expensive carbon bikes, dressed to the nines, roadee poster boys. I'd fantasized about bumping into them on the road on my road bike. For the first time he introduced himself and we exchanged names, Scott. We're riding along and come to a longish, steep hill. One of them, not Scott, goes hard and I follow. We get to the top and Scott and the other guy have been dropped big time. Oops, I thought they were right behind me. Fantasy come true. Scott is doing the Belgian Waffle Ride.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  36. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have decided to change the bars on my long haul trucker after the last long ride. My wrist were the only thing sore. I ordered a set of trekking bars . I have a set on my steamroller and like them .

My Surly LHT just before loading it up after the ride Tues>
    [​IMG]

BTW Aldi's has a bike repair stand for $30 right now it isn't a Park by no means but is plenty usable for home repairs
    Roy

37. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    110 miles today with Ruben. We both rode strong and finished well. It bodes well for the upcoming double century.

38. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    I am working up to a 100 mile day I will get there!! I had to dig the last 5 miles the other day and was a little bummed . But my Co-worker pointed out there aren't many 55 year old 300 lb people that can ride 60 miles in a day so I shouldn't complain too much

39. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    You can do it, Roy.

40. SCB

SCB Scout

Blog Posts:
    Roy, you are an inspiration to us all!

Blackhills, GeoKrpan and plumberoy like this.
  41. CheapskateLurch

CheapskateLurch Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Just a lil pic from today's ride in the rain.

IMG_20170430_135907642.jpg

Blackhills, GeoKrpan and plumberoy like this.
  42. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I paid for the upcoming Davis Double Century, $110, yikes!

We're driving up on Friday, 400 miles, spending the night in a hotel, doing the ride on Saturday, spending another night in the hotel, and driving back on Sunday.

For the ride, I'm wrapping tennis wrap over the grips. That thin little extra layer makes the grip so much more comfortable. I've learned this over many years. It keeps the hands from slipping and chafing. Not a big deal on a short ride but it makes a huge difference on a long one. When the hands get tired, the suffering begins.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  43. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Found this on letgo, trying to arrange a time I can pick it up. A peugeot road bike with a brooks saddle for $35. Picture quality is bad but it's taken from the website. Pretty sure its a px 10.
    Screenshot_2017-05-01-15-25-59-1.png

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  44. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    New Aldi's repair stand getting used . I have patched 4 places on the front tube of my gravity 29 plus:mad: thorns and metal shavingso_O I don't want to buy a new tube until I make sure I have the causes of the punctures fixed. It sure is nice not to have to flip it upside down to work on it

45. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Check all the holes where the spokes come through the rim. I have heard of some people having rims with slivers of metal left from the initial drilling.

46. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    That peugeot is worth a decent amount for a 70's road bike. Big giveaway that it's a px10 is the reynolds tubing sticker, along with the chrome chainstay. The red mavic stickers on the rim also lead towards a px10. My plan is that if it's not my size, I'll flip it and buy a motobecane. If it's my size, I'll change the brake levers to aero levers (preference), change tires and bar tape, and chain. This is one that sold on the big auction site.
    Screenshot_2017-05-02-06-58-52.png

47. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nah, the non-aero levers are freaking cool.

48. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Go ghetto tubeless baby.

Blackhills likes this.
  49. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    29 plus bike tires are holding air L.H.T. is on the stand with partially installed trekking bars

50. Berilac

Berilac Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Keep seeing this thread come up and thought I'd post a little even though I'm not as active as I used to be.

I assembled this Surly LHT from bare frame including the wheels. Pictures were taken during one of my... uhh... Midlife criseses.
    Dropped everything and toured the Natchez Trace for a few weeks. Awesome. Hilly (bike loaded as shown scared 100lbs to death)
    Awesome experience.
    Hard times saw me selling it to a very nice young lady who fell in love with it. Her and her military husband were about to go to Germany and planed on doing some touring.
    Can't remember some of the build specifics. Shimano mtn drivetrain. Schmidt dynohub front. Nitto front and Tubus rear cargo racks. Arkel bags.
    Bulletproof. Never did take to the Brooks saddle though.

I'll have to figure out the posting format, but the last pic is my current ride. Got the nekkid frame off Ebay and built it up. haha the cheap Walmart bike saddle beats the Brooks for me by a long shot. Pays to experiment.
    100_9292.JPG 100_9408.JPG 20170502_210925.jpg