Bicycle Riders?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by werewolf won, Jun 16, 2011.

1. TraditionalbyChoice

TraditionalbyChoice Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Blackhills, GeoKrpan and plumberoy like this.
  2. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Ordered this off ebay also. Its a Chinese made replica jersey. I honestly just ordered it to see if its any decent, it was only $13. Not expecting much, however it does involve my 2 favorite things. Cycling and axe's.
    chinese jersey.jpg

3. 2jka

2jka Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ooh, those are really cool.

4. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Didnt order it with the bibs, I'm not a lycra person. I'll stick to my mtb shorts.

5. 2jka

2jka Scout

Blog Posts:
    All right since we comparing the size of kits I guess I will whip mine out ... zip ... Ok so here's what I got.

In my kit I've got:

In the pouch (in the pack when MTB)
    >Park tool patch kit with a small metal section of grater. And extra large patches (soon to be replaced with super glue and cut up old tubes.)
    >Zip ties
    >electrical tape
    >dollar bill
    >Sunlite 8 tool multitool (no.1 philips, no.1 flat, t25 torques, Allen 1-6mm)
    >antique Utica 7 inch, hard chromed adjustable wrench
    >Park Tool Ct-5 chain tool
    >5inch micro USB cord to charg all the lights on my bike
    >park tool #2 spoke wrench (the red one)
    >small bandaid pack
    >tire levers
    >spare brake pads (rim and disk)
    >spare tube 700by25-32c 60mm priests stem
    >All of that contained in a spare pair of socks

On the bike (in the pack when MTB)
    >Bell bike lights 150 lumens with 120 hours of blink, front and back
    >NiteRider model 450
    >MeetLocks segmented bike lock
    >Hand made cable lock using 10ft of 32nd inch aircraft cable and a jewelry box lock (2 oz total)
    >specialized hand pump with pressure gauge.
    >SKS Raceblades when it's raining

In the Maxpedition Pygme Faclon Pack, always
    >full first aid kit including light trauma gear
    > 2 SS spoons, tea and table
    >pens
    >right in the rain pad
    >UCO tea light lanter and accessories
    > possibles bag with half a tooth brush, Badger SPF 30 zinc oxide unscented sunscreen, Badger Bug Balm, Badger face stick sunscreen(same type), Burt's Bees lip balm, 0.5 oz of pure citronella oil, Coghlan's biodegradable camp soap, travel sized Antiperspirant stick, thick aluminum foil
    >Cold Steel plastic kunai as a trowel
    >fat wood sticks
    >matches
    >Work Sharp Field Sharpener
    >random lengths of different string
    >green craft wire
    >croakies
    >cheap flip flops
    >Sayer 16oz squeeze filter (new addition)

Well that's it ...zip.., not much to speak of, unfortunately.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  6. 2jka

2jka Scout

Blog Posts:
    It's actually surprising, the amount of extra freedom on the bike wearing Lycra will aford you. It's especially nice when putting the power down, in the saddle, on tech climbs. The saddle simply doesn't snag anywhere. You also feel less likely to catch on trail side snags. I've never been snagged on my baggies but I sure feel safer in the Lycra.

If I had to compare the difference in feel of Lycra to baggies it would be like the difference in running in sweats or heavy 90's style basketball shorts to real running shorts. If you can get over your inhibitions, Lycra really does feel the most correct on a bike to me. If only it were socially acceptable to were Lycra as casual clothes, i'ld were that shit every day.
    I SAY," LET THEM LOOK!"

Interestingly I'm not too keen on skin tight tops. I do prefer sleeveless though, but slightly baggier.

7. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
  8. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I wore lycra for 20 years. Now I wear loose denim shorts and polyester t-shirts. I use a d-ring football belt to keep the trousers up. I always wear a string pack with the cords tied together with paracord below the sternum. This is more comfortable than any backpack I've had and I can carry far more than what will fit in jersey pockets. I have some padded cycling underwear but only use them on really long rides. I don't use minimal weight weener saddles, mine are wider and have more padding. In winter I wear running underwear, shorts and knee length. I am very comfortable. Denim is tough when you hit the deck and won't get ruined like expensive cycling shorts. Lycra can give my skin a crawly feel. What I wear is a lot cheaper than lycra and blends in better. The only place I don't blend in is riding with roadees. The advantage is that they underestimate me. I know some people who can't get on a bike without looking like they're riding the Tour de France. I find that I'm more approachable without lycra except by roadees who often treat me like I'm from another planet. It's funny, I'm recognized a mile away from my attire. Sometimes I don't recognize a friend because they're dressed like everyone else.

PS I wore the padded underwear, for the first time, a couple of weeks ago on a 110 mile ride. Wouldn't ya' know it, my ass hurt.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    Blackhills likes this.
  9. Blackhills

Blackhills Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yesterday I went to Sacramento to watch the women race the Tour of California. Last year I took a Rabo Liv jersey to the race and the whole team signed it, so this year before the race I found Anna van der Breggen (former Rabo Liv rider and current Euro & Olympic champion) and had her sign it as well. I also got autographs from the Wiggle team and Giorgia Bronzini (2 time road World Champion, 1 time track World Champion) was kind enough to give me one of her used bottles.

This gent decided that a good time to cross the road was right as the peloton was coming through. Fortunately everyone missed him but it could have been a very bad situation. Several police officers had a long chat with him afterwards.

[​IMG]

You can see he was right in the thick of it, his head is visible just behind the rider in orange.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Christine Majerus and Amy Peters setting Anna van der Breggen up for the intermediate sprint. Anna was 1 second behind on the GC and needed the bonus seconds from the sprint. Even though Anna isn't a sprinter they did it, Anna took 2nd in the sprint and gained 2 seconds which put her into the lead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GeoKrpan and Junkyard Dog like this.
  10. Blackhills

Blackhills Scout

Blog Posts:
    A 20+ year old "Cool Tool"(link),patch kit, 3 tubes, 2 levers and extra quick links for the chain. I always have a bike mounted pump as well, it could be an old Silca or a more modern Lezyne depending on the bike.

GeoKrpan and plumberoy like this.
  11. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    18447183_1265486583569931_4569075515589504316_n.jpg

Today was day one of my internship. It was very fun. Worked on some very expensive bikes. Full carbon Trek Slash peeking out behind the bikestand, full of hope components. Not to mention that I get a very nice discount on bikes,parts and gear.

12. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Great pics from the race, thanks a lot. I'll be across the river from Sacramento, in Davis, next weekend for the double century. I was born in Sacramento, my father's side of the family is there.

Blackhills and plumberoy like this.
  13. 2jka

2jka Scout

Blog Posts:
    So my sister just came home for college. I had lent her my old MTB. She goes to college out in Stonybrook on Longisland; sand and salt woo! She stored it outside.

It's the old Trek 13inch 8300. The condition it came back in hurt me emotionally. That was my first real bike, I've had it for like 10 years at this point. I hate to see it going to misuse.

Chain was rusted, cassette was rusted, brake rubbed, shock stanchoins were rusted, saddle clamp was completely loose, rear derailleur wouldn't shift, pedal bearings are gritty, there was water in the frame, i'm sure the seat post is seized, and the wheels need to be repacked. My father and I gave the bike the closest thing to a bath in WD-40 and got most of the rust off the drivetrain. The bike shifted again but I still need to work on the stanchons.

I cleaned one of the stanchons up using aluminum foil ands strap of leather with green stropping compound. Worked pretty well. @TraditionalbyChoice you might wanna try this on your bikes that you're restoring.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  14. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    I've used the aluminum foil on the chrome bits before.

15. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Chicks and bikes, sigh.

Blackhills likes this.
  16. 2jka

2jka Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nah it's not chicks, it's people who refuse to learn to do for themselves and are willingly ignorant of the issues that end up arising from refusing to learn. I know plenty of dudes like that.

My sister is really bright and capable, but she really doesn't care. The problem is I do.

If she really wanted to take care of the bike, or the car she would. She just prefers to use others and their talent,time, and energy to get things done for her. It can get tiring.

17. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have no bad feeling for those who don't learn stuff so they don't have to anything:D I had a 30ish village counsel guy raise Cain over me charging $60 service charge for tightening a dripping packing on a valve. I told him that he couldn't learn minor repair if he didn't like paying minimum service charge:dblthumb:
    If it was someone that could not get down there for health reasons it would have been no charge

Blackhills and GeoKrpan like this.
  18. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Someone brought a bike into the shop for a repair estimate today, said it had been outside for 10 years. It was so rusted out, that I told them labor and parts cost would be 30 tines what the bike is worth.

Worked on a few e bikes today, I will say they are a pain to work on.

19. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I know dudes like that too, mama's boys.

My sister is really bright, cumma sum laude from UCLA, made it through chiropractic school, but, when it comes to things mechanical or computers she is a complete idiot. I lent a vacuum cleaner to my niece and roommates while she was at Chapman College, straight A student there and in high school. After she graduated and I got the vacuum cleaner back it was in deplorable condition. I laughed to myself, chicks used this.

20. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Completely fair and thanks for helping the needy.

Blackhills likes this.
  21. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I worked part time in a bike shop for a year and a half. I'd get bikes like that and the reasonable people would buy a new bike for less than the repairs would cost.
    If they insisted on the repair route they'd have to pay up front.

The shop was near Jet Propulsion Laboratory, JPL. We would get people who worked at JPL, rocket scientists, literally, who were completely confounded by bicycles.

Blackhills likes this.
  22. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Rode the trek farley ex 9.8 yesterday, it's a really fun bike, as would be expected with a full suspension fatty.
    20170518_123122.jpg
    I think I will end up working at the shop I'm interning at. I want to buy there trek remedy 8.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Blackhills, plumberoy and GeoKrpan like this.
  23. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    5:30 am at the Coffee Bean. Driving this morning to Davis, CA, about 400 miles away, for the double century. We will start the ride a 5 am tomorrow morning. Last year Ruben started at 5 am and finished at 8:15 pm. We ought to do better than that since he had to ride slowly for two hours in heavy rain. If we finish at 7 pm that would be 14 hours including the rest stops and the lunch served at the 100 mile mark. The high temperature will be 96 degrees but this time of year means it will only reach that briefly. It will be 60 degrees at 5 am so carrying a jacket will be necessary. You can send back unneeded clothing at any of the rest stops, nice.

I feel that I have prepared adequately. My bike is totally dialed in. The tennis wrap over the grips was a fantastic tweak, I've been riding with it all week. I bled the rear brake and put on new pads. I checked the wheels for even spoke tension. New rear tire and new tubes in both tires and two new tubes in my backpack along with patch kit. Tire liners in both tires. It is nice not to have a flat on a ride like this. My bike rides perfectly, no ticks or squeaks, shifts and brakes perfectly. Since we are going to be riding in the dark a headlight is required. I bought a $30 Niterider. The one I got uses ordinary batteries, not rechargeable. I figure it's better, easy to carry spare batteries, charging takes a long time. The light it puts out is impressive. Two new Lezyne blinkie lights too.

Instead of my usual denim shorts I will be wearing some thin polyester hiking shorts, camo! They work better with the padded cycling underwear, and, it's going to be hot. DZNuts chamois cream, DZ for Dave Zabriske. Polyester running shirt on top. I will wear a long sleeve running shirt over it and a jacket in the morning and then put them in the string pack when it warms up. I got some pigskin gloves at the hardware store for late in the ride should my hands tire. The are uber plush and comfortable, better than any cycling glove. Despite their thickness they are not overly hot.

Wish me luck.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Blackhills and plumberoy like this.
  24. iahunter3

iahunter3 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Go gettum Geo! smoke sent for tailwinds.

25. 2jka

2jka Scout

Blog Posts:
    I got a ride on one of those too a while back. It road like a monster truck, in a good way, would be fun in the roots and rocks around here.

26. 2jka

2jka Scout

Blog Posts:
    Good luck. Have lots of fun!

27. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Davis is the sweetest town. Bikes everywhere.

plumberoy and 2jka like this.
  28. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    I think im going to swap the quill stem and very narrow handlebars for a modern stem and 42cm road drop bar. I'd like to have it fit me a little better. I know it may be killing the whole vintage ordeal, but I'd rather have comfort over looks. I need a threadless stem adapter, and a drop bar. I already have a stem.

GeoKrpan, Blackhills and plumberoy like this.
  29. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Bought a bike today just for the seat. A women's Raleigh sport. All I wanted was the brooks saddle, but for $15 I figured I'd just take the whole bike.
    20170521_055640.jpg
    20170521_102632.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2017 at 10:29 AM
    GeoKrpan, Blackhills and plumberoy like this.
  30. Blackhills

Blackhills Scout

Blog Posts:
    I hope you had a good ride....it was a pretty warm day.

31. Blackhills

Blackhills Scout

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

:4::4:

Seriously, it's your bike so do what makes it work for you. But....why not change just the handlebar? That seems the easiest route to me and there are a lot of nice 25.4 /26.0 (depending on the size of your stem) bars available.

32. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm back......back from the dead. I finished the double century at 10 pm, an hour longer than my estimate, started at 5 am. It was the heat, and, the decision to use padded shorts. A case of if it ain't broke, don't fix it. My ass never hurts riding with no pad. I haven't squirmed so much since.....since the last time I wore padded shorts. I had to lower the seat way down to take the pressure off which, of course, reduced the leverage on the pedals. So, I had to spin more which isn't bad but it had an adverse effect on my speed. I used the 30 tooth chainring of the triple crank a lot, there was tons of climbing. I don't know why triple chainrings are so cruelly out of fashion. I passed a lot of people struggling with double cranks. I wore the pigskin gloves that I got at the hardware store for the last 40 miles, they really work. The last 40 miles took 4 hours including 3 rest stops. The organization puts 3 rest stops in the last 40 miles. It seemed to be excessive to me but now I understand perfectly. The last rest stop was only 8 miles from the finish. That last 8 miles was heck, not going fast enough for the mosquitoes not to be able to land on me, rolling through dark farmland, spooky and foreboding, watching the road in my headlight not to hit a pothole. There was a lot of rough roads. The nut that secures the valve stem to the rim migrated all the way to the valve cap on my front wheel, an 80mm valve stem.

To give you an idea how much the padded shorts impeded me. I saw a guy, Barry, who lives in my town, I ride with him all the time. He can't carry my suitcase when it comes to speed, yet he went by me in a group which I was powerless to follow. And, Ruben finished at 8:30, and hour and a half before me. He NEVER finishes a ride stronger than me. BTW, Ruben had been telling me that it was a laid back crowd who did this ride, total bullshit, it was a 200 mile rat race. I thought we were going to do the ride together, more bullshit, he was attacking from the get go. It felt like a set up, exactly the opposite of what he had been telling me for weeks before the ride. At one rest stop he told me he'd wait at the bottom of the hill for me. (On the previous downhill I had gotten completely out of sight, I waited for him and he sped by as if I weren't there!) When I got there it was as if we were doing a relay, he took right off at top speed, never give a sucker an even break. He had been resting in the shade. Long before that I had gotten the picture and just let him go. I didn't say a word to Ruben about my feelings but I will give him a merciless flogging on our next ride, and, I will probably decline his next invitation of this kind. Had the tables been turned I wouldn't have left him to ride without me for one moment. Nearly every ride we've done in the past ten years I have exercised restraint in order to spare his feelings. I felt the disappointment one feels from throwing pearls at swine.

Yolo County has spectacular scenery. So much of it is totally undeveloped. I saw quaint little towns that I'd previously only seen on a map. The organizers of the ride are super nice. I spent some time chatting with Bill, the man in charge. The volunteers at the rest stops were super as was the food and beverage. At the 25 to go rest stop there was chili and grilled sandwiches, neither of which I felt like eating. During the daylight the rest stops had socks filled with crushed ice that you put on the back of your neck. My teeth were chattering in 90+ degrees. Raisins were my favorite food. There was electrolyte drink at every rest stop but I didn't start drinking it until late in the ride, a mistake. Bill said the ride is losing about 50 riders a year. This year there was 485 riders. There was a few miles of dirt. It was tricky to ride at speed. I passed a hundred people, especially on the downhill sections, disc brakes and a dirt drop baby. Having no hoods meant I rode the drops 100% of the time on a 200 mile ride.

I'm glad I did it to prove that I still can. Next time, if there is one, I will be better prepared, mentally, and I won't try and fix something that isn't broken.

PS I had no flats and no mechanical issues whatsoever.

Last edited: May 22, 2017 at 6:51 PM
  33. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Lol... the stem is a little short as it is. I figured ive put a modern crankset, wheelset, seat.... I might as well do a modern bar/stem And the bars arent a standard size (25mm NOT 25.4, thats the french for ya). It was cheaper to get an adapter, stem and bar. Im keeping the original bits though, eventually id like to get something a little newer and make this one all original.

plumberoy, GeoKrpan and Blackhills like this.
  34. Blackhills

Blackhills Scout

Blog Posts:
    Now that sounds like an epic day....and that's not a word I use lightly.

plumberoy and GeoKrpan like this.
  35. Blackhills

Blackhills Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ahhh....well since it's French you may have to do some work to get the threadless adapter to fit. To quote Sheldon:

plumberoy likes this.
  36. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    PS PS I got no leg cramps on the ride, surprising with the high temps. About an hour after I went to bed I rolled over and my left leg turned to solid stone but that was the only one.

plumberoy and Blackhills like this.
  37. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    I plan on sanding the adapter down a bit. Its how people adapt english stems to these bikes, i figure i could do the same. If not, i have access to a lathe.

38. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nicky Hayden, famed motorcycle racer, killed riding a bicycle in Italy. Like many MC racers he trained on a bicycle.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2017 at 1:02 AM
  39. iahunter3

iahunter3 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Congrats on the ride Geo! I've never done over 100, but I know how important hydration and food are on those days.. sucks when you have to force yourself to eat and drink... I couldn't do it without padded shorts for sure.

GeoKrpan likes this.
  40. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thank you buddy. It is intuitive that padded shorts would be better but sometimes what works can be counter-intuitive. My ass is still bruised.

Going to go out on the road bike today, the first time I've ridden it since the ride. Going to have to fidget with saddle height and tilt to get it back to where it was before the ride. I had to adjust it many times to get comfortable with the padded shorts. I'm wearing plain old denim today and from now on.

iahunter3 likes this.
  41. iahunter3

iahunter3 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    TBC - if you don't like either one of those steel bikes, send me a message. I ride a 56 and have wanted to try steel again, haven't ridden steel since the mid 80's.
    Might be the easiest sale you ever made! I would also let you turn a profit on me.

42. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    I was offered a job today at the shop i'm interning at, needless to say I took it. They needed another mechanic, and I fit there requirements. I think i'm going to put some money down on the 2017 trek remedy 8.

GeoKrpan, 2jka and plumberoy like this.
  43. 2jka

2jka Scout

Blog Posts:
    Congratulations!

44. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    27 miles today on the peugeot. I really wanted to keep the dia compe levers, but the left lever sadly cracked on me today. New tektro levers should be here Tuesday. Once the new bars and levers are here, i plan on taking it on a 40 mile ride. It rode really nice. Averaged 16.5 mph. Not bad. I even passed a few guys,one on a carbon colonago. I rode with a friend of mine who has a cannondale caad 12. Profile designs stem adapter fit in with no sanding, and i threw a carbon stem on it for now (I know, carbon on a 80's road bike, but I wanted to offset the weight of the adapter).

GeoKrpan likes this.
  45. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: May 26, 2017 at 10:52 PM
  46. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Your first victim. Geek hunting is addicting. Extra points if they're on a carbon bike.