Bicycle Riders?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by werewolf won, Jun 16, 2011.

1. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    Blackhills likes this.
  2. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I ordered a Soma Wolverine thru axle fork for my gravel bike, $190, free shipping, no tax. It's replacing a carbon fork which I feel is too soft. It's made of Tange Prestige chromoly steel. It's unusual to find a thru axle fork without a tapered steerer tube, and, made of steel, not carbon. It has the same nominal tire clearance as the old fork, 45mm, so it should be about the same length, axle to crown. The rake is 50mm verses 45mm for the old fork, a 2/10ths of an inch difference. It's not an "integrated" design like the old fork so I'm not sure how it will look but it will work for sure. I got the matte black color but it also comes in orange which is the color of my frame. But, I was afraid it wouldn't be the same shade of orange, the old fork is gloss black. The thru axle is included. My front wheel has a thru axle hub, with the old fork I am using an adapter for standard dropouts. Installation should be straightforward. Cut steerer tube to length, transfer bottom headset race to new fork, and have the local bike shop conk in a star nut.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    2jka, Blackhills and iahunter3 like this.
  3. TraditionalbyChoice

TraditionalbyChoice Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Fat Tire festival was a success this year. Had alot of fun, demo'd some bikes (pivot mach 429 27.5+ and devinci marshall 27.5+). Heres some pictures.
    34460379083_0ec30dacfa_o.jpg
    34460381823_7b28119b68_o.jpg
    34460383203_a1c0676185_o.jpg
    34460385113_5cb81c7f3e_o.jpg
    35139612451_f98866e16c_o.jpg
    35139613691_ff6cc95fab_o.jpg
    35139615321_bd2450cda7_o.jpg
    35229301456_1b04e6df50_o.jpg
    35229302726_c0c68de049_o.jpg
    35229304356_2a95898e36_o.jpg

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    sdjsdj, 2jka, roadwarrior and 4 others like this.
  4. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Lookin' good sonny. Did ya' make it?

Blackhills and plumberoy like this.
  5. iahunter3

iahunter3 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm sure I would break myself if I tried that track...
    Replaced the bottom bracket and had to tune the front derailleur on the road bike, made me want a double instead of a triple, but the new smooth bottom bracket made it worth the hassle.
    More training in the Midwest heat last weekend, 15 miles on the cross bike and 35 on the paved trails with the road bike. 95 degrees and "breezy" 20+mph winds. Plan the rides around watering stops.
    Had a flat on the road bike after crossing a plank bridge. First flat with the gatorskins, but noticed some nicks in the sidewalls as well, will have to switch them out before the big ride across the state. Could not find what created the flat, just swapped the tube and road on.

Blackhills, plumberoy and GeoKrpan like this.
  6. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I had a weird flat the other night. My tire went down, I tried to find a leak to patch but could not, but the tire would not hold air. Not carrying a tube, I was forced to walk the bike home. I was impressed that within a few minutes a man in a pickup truck stopped and asked if I needed a ride. I did not accept, but he was the only one. I was on a back country road, and must have had 25 other cars and trucks just fly by. There are very nice people out there, but by and large they are outnumbered by the dicks.

What was weird about the flat was that when I got home I was able to fill the tire with my big pump, the little travel model just did not seem to work, in spite of it’s advertised ability to fill high pressure tires. Two days later the tire is still holding air. I don’t know what happened, I have to assume it was some issue with the Presta valve on the tire. I filled the tire right before my ride, I wonder if the valve stem did not seat properly when I finished, and was still acting up when I tried pumping on the road. Maybe something was lodged under the valve seat and the walking with a flat messaged the tube and valve enough to clear the obstruction, allowing me to pump it back up and the valve to hold pressure.

2jka, Blackhills, plumberoy and 2 others like this.
  7. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a triple on my gravel bike which is my road bike. I love it, can't see why such a stigma is placed on them. It is now widely believed that spinning is better yet the triple is disappearing and even the front derailleur.

I gave up on folding tires, they are too fragile, and, they are expensive, especially since I was having to buy a tire a month because of a bulge or cut. And, I don't think they are any better than a good quality wire bead tire which will last until the cord shows through.

8. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Next time, put some spit in the valve. I dribble in some chain lube if they seem to be sticky. It's much easier to inflate after doing so.

I've heard of people throwing their gear in the back of a pickup and then the driver speeding off without them!

9. iahunter3

iahunter3 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I do like the triple, but with my newbe bike mechanic skills, getting the derailleur set so there was no rubbing in any position took longer than I thought it should. The new BB was .5 wider than the old, forcing me to reset the derailleur. I did get it accomplished which was a little confidence builder.

WW - thank you, you just reminded me, need to replace the c02 I used inflating my tire on Sunday.

Looking forward to this coming weekend, will be camping and doing a few out and back gravel/dirt road rides on the cross bike.

Blackhills, GeoKrpan and plumberoy like this.
  10. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Excellent tip! Thanks.

I considered that happening, but the man seemed genuine in his concern for my safety.

11. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    You probably have road shifters and derailleurs. The road triple front derailleur is definately trickier to set up. My bike has MTB shifters and derailleurs. The MTB front derailleur is wider than a road front derailleur and is far easier to set up. I wonder why they don't make road front derailleurs the same as MTB front derailleurs.

Blackhills, iahunter3 and plumberoy like this.
  12. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    yep, i made it :)

13. hooliganwithheart

hooliganwithheart Scout

Blog Posts:
    Someone mention bicycles and camping? Old fart that loves to use his old 17yr old mtb for adventures. Stealth camping is my preferred choice of adventure, but will pay for a camp spot if i really have to lol
    Awesome to see other like-minded peeps :dblthumb:

14. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Welcome! The bike camping site in California state campgrounds is $10, not so bad, showers and wi-fi, but the wi-fi is probably shitty. For a long while it was $1 and for a long while it was $3. The bike site in Pfeiffer Big Sir is amazing, redwoods, river, beautiful beach, and a good restaurant.

plumberoy, Blackhills and iahunter3 like this.
  15. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I figgered you did.

plumberoy and Blackhills like this.
  16. hooliganwithheart

hooliganwithheart Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the welcome. I wish we had campsites in my part of the woods at that price but sadly not. As for wi-fi, not a concern when i'm out & about (jeez i still refuse to get another cell phone). Sounds a great site you mentioned.

Blackhills, plumberoy and GeoKrpan like this.
  17. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Jason came over and we did the split tube ghetto tubeless conversion on his 29+. We were totally successful.

Blackhills, plumberoy and iahunter3 like this.
  18. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Last week I was visiting a friend and was introduced to her neighbor, Rudy. His garage was open and I saw mountain bikes. So, we talked about mountain biking. I told him I rode a no suspension 29+. I felt an instant loss of credibilty and the conversation dwindled rapidly after that. He told me that my wheels would never be on the ground and that I wouldn't be able to brake. He also pointed out that his dual suspension 26er was carbon fibre.

Jason went mountain biking today and, lo and behold, he encounters Rudy. Jason has the exact same no suspension 29+ I have. Yesterday we converted his tires to tubeless. Jason smoked Rudy, uphill and downhill. They were riding in technical terrain. It will be interesting to hear what Rudy has to say.

BTW, Jason said Rudy is a good, solid rider and that he took getting smoked with a good sense of humor.

PS Jason said his tires are losing air. It might be the talcum on the tubes, should have cleaned it off. I told him to put in more sealant.

PS PS The steel thru axle fork that I bought for my gravel bike will be here tomorrow. : )))

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  19. Blackhills

Blackhills Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just an FYI....there's no way to set Campy Ergo levers to friction. However, the 8, 9 and 10sp versions (except maybe the QS version, I think they might be a bit different) had numerous clicks for the front shifter so it's very easy to find a position where chain doesn't rub the front derailleur. They're more of a mini or half step indexing than true indexing, if that makes sense.

The 11sp versions have 4 clicks for the front shifter.

2jka, GeoKrpan and plumberoy like this.
  20. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Got out and rode 20 miles, rode too hard for not being on a bike for 3 weeks. But was blowing off steam. I made the call to the vet to make an appointment to put my beagle down :( . I needed to work off frustration so I rode. Rode my Surly Steamroller

Blackhills, GeoKrpan and roadwarrior like this.
  21. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    So sorry Roy. My Chihuahua is 18 years old and she gets more frail each day. Going to be facing the same thing as you.

22. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    The new fork arrived today and it is installed. It rides so sweetly, definitely an ugrade over the old carbon fork.

I took the old and new forks to the LBS to transfer the bottom headset race and to install a starnut, $15. The race needed a specialized tool to remove. I was lucky they weren't too busy and got it done right away.

Can't wait to ride tomorrow.

PS I think the new fork is slightly longer, I'm running the stem with one less 5mm spacer underneath. I know for sure the rake of the old was 45mm and the new is 50mm.
    The bike feels less twitchy.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  23. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Sorry to hear that.

Was it the one that clamped down below the starnut, where you tighten the bolt to pull it up? So much easier than the screwdriver I used to use. $15 is pretty cheap for that, I think the shop I work at charges $20, maybe even $25.

24. Blackhills

Blackhills Scout

Blog Posts:
    That sucks Roy.....that's one tough thing to deal with.

I picked one of these up a while back.....you can't beat the price. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-NOS...817836?hash=item1c6498c52c:g:eYsAAOSwSdZWcvkl

All you need to install the race is a piece of PVC pipe that will fit over the fork tube.

iahunter3 and plumberoy like this.
  25. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't know, I didn't see the tool. I asked if they had a race remover and they said yes. I think this is the only race I've had that couldn't be removed with a screwdriver. I'd much rather not use a screwdriver, one of those tools would be much better.

PS They know I'm a cheapskate. : ))

26. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I got a chance to ride the new fork, it's fantastic, a case of lighter is not always better. It felt as if it were twice the weight of the old carbon fork, probably added more than a pound to the bike. The old fork was carbon with an aluminum steerer, the new fork is steel with a steel steerer. The old fork felt like it was made of wood. Although I think the new fork is stiffer, paradoxically, it rides better. It is certainly a lot quieter, the old fork rattled for no reason that I could determine. My spin is much better with the new fork, there's less lurching and bucking. Buying a new fork is a crap shoot, you have no idea if it will be an upgrade or a downgrade.

27. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    check for cracks. Some guy came in the shop looking to get his bb serviced because or rattling, come to find out his bike had a nice sized crack in it.

28. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yes, and sometimes they are impossible to see. That fork rattled from day one. I did have a crash but I couldn't see any cracks.

29. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    The other George, not me, was riding around the lake yesterday, and saw a girl roller blading in a thong bikini. The police put her in their squad car.

PS She was beautiful.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  30. 2jka

2jka Guide

Blog Posts:
    All right so I brought Grayman into the 21st century.
    Sora rear shifter, Dura Ace 9 speed lever shifters, new Bikes Direct wheels (32 spoke, Claris hubs, Mavic DC22 rims, 23mm tires) yellow bar tape (double wrapped) and yellow Jagwire brake housing...
    image.jpeg
    And some snazzy red accents...
    image.jpeg
    I'll get a better picture tomorrow, after Grayman gets some beauty sleep. He spent about 3 hours getting up to date.

31. 2jka

2jka Guide

Blog Posts:
    Those better shots as promised:
    image.jpeg
    Oh and I found this in the BikesDirect wheel box:
    image.jpeg

The bike isn't shifting great in the back; I will have to futs with that. It worked fine last night. I'm not happy with the wrap job; it creating allot of hotspots. Ill probably pull the inner wrap off and just use the yellow stuff. Brakes feel allot better, now. Power transmission through is also allot better and the bike accelerates allot better.

plumberoy, Blackhills and GeoKrpan like this.
  32. sdjsdj

sdjsdj Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Went on a bike camping trip with my LBS. Lots of fun. Sure wish I had the time to do the Southern Tier. 20170610_174852.jpg 20170610_172731.jpg 19144146_1355606784553970_1221683343120608858_o.jpg 20170529_151913.jpg

33. sdjsdj

sdjsdj Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    @GeoKrpan , what tires are you running on your Motobecane 29+

34. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Gravity Vidar, the same tires that came with the bike. They work fantastically after doing ghetto tubeless, no need for a more expensive tire.

Blackhills likes this.
  35. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
  36. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Lookin' good. That was nice of BD to throw in the flask. Try adjusting the tension of the shifter. If not tight enough it will skip gears. Dura Ace shifters are good, you ought to be able to sort it out.

37. sdjsdj

sdjsdj Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Ok, thought you said you didn't do folding tires.

38. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
  39. sdjsdj

sdjsdj Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Yep $20 included camping fee and ton of pizza. This is a small community minded LBS. They are trying to expand the touring, urban, cargo bike lifestyle. I imagine they lost a bit of $.

40. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    The Gravity Vidar tires that I am using are not folding, they have a wire bead.

41. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Here's a similar type of ride, called a ramble.

plumberoy, Blackhills and sdjsdj like this.
  42. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    George and I went for a ride this morning. We saw a dead pedestrian laying in the street, hit by a car. The paramedics had not yet arrived but we could hear their sirens.

Be careful out there.

43. sdjsdj

sdjsdj Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Yep,. I love the stuff Path Less Pedaled puts out.

44. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I was telling you about Rudy, my post about him is below.

I saw him the other day and I thought he'd like to talk, but he just kept about his business. I thought, some other time, but also felt maybe he doesn't want to talk.

I saw Jason this morning and he said Rudy is not talking to him.

Cyclists are so weird.

45. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    New stem for my gravel bike, Truvativ AKA, $36, Jensen USA. Burlier than a cross country stem, lighter than a downhill stem. M6 screws throughout instead of wimpy M4 screws. I feel much more confident that the handlebar won't slip. It's wide clamp and burly build mean less handlebar flex. I can really feel it when out of the saddle. 90mm, +-5 degree. Photo is not my bike.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

46. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Photos of new stem on my bike. I got a new iphone 7 and just figured out how to upload to Google Photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

plumberoy likes this.
  47. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Photos of new fork on my bike.

[​IMG]

Not integrated fork on integrated head tube.

[​IMG]

Old integrated carbon fork.

[​IMG]

plumberoy likes this.
  48. sdjsdj

sdjsdj Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Can't see pics

49. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Weird, I can see them, can anyone else?

plumberoy likes this.
  50. Blackhills

Blackhills Scout

Blog Posts:
    IMO nothing else rides as nice as a steel fork....but they definitely weigh more. That's a tradeoff that I'm more than willing to make.

That does look pretty thick with the double wrap.

Let me fix that for you...People are so weird. :)

I can't see them. On other forums a lot of people have the same problem when using Google Photos...I think it's something to do with your settings there.

plumberoy and GeoKrpan like this.