Bicycle Riders?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by werewolf won, Jun 16, 2011.

1. TraditionalbyChoice

TraditionalbyChoice Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  2. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Forgot to mention I went to cape cod last week. 231 miles in 6 days on the fatbike and I am definitely feeling it. I did get the chance to rent a e bike. I rented out a haibike 100mm travel full suspension e bike called the s duro. This one had the yahmaha drive. I had fun messing around on the trails with it, climbing up hills at 20mph with little to no effort. Battery lasted about 25 miles on the turbo setting, and 35 - 40 miles on the standard setting. While an e bike is not the bike for me, I sure wouldnt mind riding one from time to time.
    The e bike-
    20615690_1341166102668645_5886513273483772555_o.jpg

And 2 pictures I got on my drone. Im not sure why the one of the pictures had some discoloration.
    20507653_1341502825968306_783653742762165466_o.jpg
    20545149_1341502829301639_4210996854816680421_o.jpg

3. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Blackhills and sdjsdj like this.
  4. sdjsdj

sdjsdj Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Hmm. Makes me a bit leery about going to tubeless. It seemed to work for you @GeoKrpan for quite a while.

Blackhills and GeoKrpan like this.
  5. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I hate to say it, but Jason is a complete idiot when it comes to bicycle mechanics, no patience whatsoever. Ghetto tubeless has worked for me, for more than a year now, safe to say, it works. It's totally worth the learning curve, would be hard to go back to tubes, especially on a bike with no suspension.

6. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    First ride with the fox transfer factory dropper. I got the 150mm drop. It feels a lot better than any other post I have ridden before, including the reverb, ks lev, race face,and the Easton.
    IMG_0003.JPG

7. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    It's a Fox so I reckon it was $$$.

Blackhills likes this.
  8. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Not bad for me since I work in a shop, I got EP pricing. I wouldn't have gotten it if I didn't work in a shop.

9. 2jka

2jka Guide

Blog Posts:
    I finished it: the bike the friend had me build from parts here it is:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    It's name is Shadowfax and its 20lb dry. OK for $800 said and told.

10. sdjsdj

sdjsdj Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Nicely done, 2jka.

Blackhills and 2jka like this.
  11. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Bravo, well done.

Blackhills, sdjsdj and 2jka like this.
  12. 2jka

2jka Guide

Blog Posts:
    Here's the write up that I included with the bike:
    I am naming this bike Shadowfax due to its distinctive styling and speed. It climbs like a mountain goat and descends like a mighty river. A comfortable and swift bike even on rougher roads, this one is assuredly a mighty steed.

There are no others like this.

Thanks guys. I really wish I could see the face of the friend that I built it for. I left it with a friend and the owner will pick Shadowfax from him.

In other news, I totally tacoed my front wheel on Whitehorse, the Trek Superfly.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Tried to hop up and over a rock when I should have just ridden it as if I hucked to flat. Oops...

Blackhills, sdjsdj and GeoKrpan like this.
  13. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Bent rotor too? I have folded a few wheels like that before. What wheel came stock on that bike?

14. 2jka

2jka Guide

Blog Posts:
    Mah, rotor is in perfect working condition. Swapped it onto the DT Swiss Wheel I grabbed at the shops' sugestion.

The stock wheel was some Bontrager rim laced to an unnamed Shimano hub. Rim was half round in section and I always had trouble with the wheel not staying true from side to side. Hopfully this one is a bit better.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  15. 2jka

2jka Guide

Blog Posts:
    image.jpeg

16. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Folded a 850... thats the stronger of the 2 bontrager at wheelsets.

At least you didnt do this. A guy on the skinny contest i compete in did this to his front rotor.
    27414716544_72452a1225_z.jpg

17. Idabow

Idabow Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have two Gary fisher tassajaras with Bonty Corvair assymetrical rims running strong since...2002. Grated they're v brake rims on two hardtails, but no faults. Saw a surly pugsly that broke disc due to improper tightening of an axle, but never had a rim taco, thankfully.

Blackhills, GeoKrpan and 2jka like this.
  18. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    My boss when he got his trek remedy 9.9 folded the front wheel the first time he rode it in the parking lot. He went to take a turn and it folded in. He wasnt upset because he was swapping them for a industry nine wheelset and had a shop spare to use until the i9 wheelset came.

19. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I discovered a strange artifact from converting my hubs from quick release to nutted axles. When I go mountain biking I take the car to the trailhead. I remove the front wheel to be able to fit it in my 2006 Scion xB. Over time the tightening of the wheel nuts after re-installing the front wheel causes the bearing cones to tighten. I noticed yesterday that the front wheel wasn't spinning freely. I thought it was brake rub but it didn't improve after adjusting the caliper. I took the wheel off and spun it in my hands, way tight, destructively tight. I realize I'm going to have to keep an eye on it. No problem with the rear wheel because it is rarely removed.

Not mine but mine is white with these wheels. I bought it new in 2005. I got a manual transmission.

[​IMG]

sdjsdj and Blackhills like this.
  20. Blackhills

Blackhills Scout

Blog Posts:
    I might be tempted to put some Loctite on the cones to keep them from moving.

GeoKrpan likes this.
  21. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Really liking this fox dropper. Its the only dropper I have that doesnt have any side to side play when wiggling the nose of the saddle. My crankbrothers was the worst when it came to play, but my specialized commandpost and gravity dropper were ok, but both were only 3 position posts.

p4pb15046331.jpg

22. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Crank Brothers pedals are garbage but people buy them because they're light.

Blackhills likes this.
  23. Idabow

Idabow Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Had to a get a new lizard skin for my old tass I gave to my 15 year old son. Figured I would check the tires ( need air), and the gears to make sure they shifting all right ( he likes to shift under load, cross chain etc). I went to stop and almost rode in to the street from the driveway.

"Somehow" the front ride brake pad was gone!? Now I have to buy new pads, when I was just at the bike shop 30 miles away two hours before.

Some people's children!

24. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    My MTB with the ghetto tubeless tires needs a new front tire. The tread is far from worn out but there are three spots with bead damage. Evidently, tire sealant will not seal a damaged bead. It probably happened from running too low of pressure. I have been running 15 psi. It probably wouldn't have happened if I had been running 17.5 and 17.5 is still plenty plush.

Wire bead Gravity Vidar tires are no longer available. The Innova Transformer is the same tire with a different brand label slapped on but it only comes in folding bead, but but it's only $36. Surly Knards have a wire bead but they're $65. People have had trouble getting the beads of a folding tire to seat on a non-tubeless rim with the split tube ghetto tubeless method. Tubeless rims have a hump in the middle to keep the flexible folding beads from migrating to the center of the rim. I build a hump in the center of the rim with masking tape but is it good enough for a folding bead?

I gotta' decide to go cheap and take a risk with the Innova tires or play it safe with the Surly tires. I'm leaning towards cheap and cheerful. The Innova tires are 60 tpi and the Suly tires 27 tpi. The 27 tpi tires I have been using felt super plush after the tubeless conversion, and, the tread is perfect for my trail conditions.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  25. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Doh, there goes a 60 mile round rip for brake pads. Buy an extra set.

Blackhills likes this.
  26. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Looks like you made up your mind

Blackhills likes this.
  27. Todd1hd

Todd1hd Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  28. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I found a $30, delivered, 29x3 27tpi wire bead tire, CST PREMIUM TIRES BFT Plus 29x3.0. One reviewer said it is a worthy successor to the Surly Knard.

In the mean time I got some Shoe Goo from the hobby store and have put it on the damaged areas of the tire. I'll give it 24 hours to cure and see if it works.

29. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    I dont think you could go wrong with the CST based on the amazon reviews
    https://www.amazon.com/Cst-Premium-...sr=8-9&keywords=29+plus+tires#customerReviews

30. M.W. Gammill

M.W. Gammill Scout

Blog Posts:
    At 5o years old, I have just started riding a bike again out of necessity as well as for the health benefits. I don't
    own a car and recently moved to a house that's not immediately close to a store or other necessities. I have been working hard this last year to lose weight, and have gone from 366lbs to 263. I feel really good but still have a ways to go. I decided to look for a bike that I could use for trips to the store and for leisure rides, but was getting discouraged by the cost of a bike that could handle someone my size. I couldn't find anything for less than $200 and even most of those were junk.
    I got to checking out my new neighborhood and we have a community center that has a used bike shop. They rebuild donated bikes and sell them for just $25! I kept checking back with them weekly for a few weeks, then one day I found it! about a 2005 Specialized Works M5. I told the guy who runs the shop I was afraid I was too heavy for the bike and he just laughed and told me that this bike was extremely well made and had already been modified some before it found it's way to him. It has steel rims, good road tires and heavy duty forks. He said as long as I was just riding it to the store and back, and intended to keep losing weight, it should be fine! I figured worse comes to worse I'm just out $25 and if it broke down I could re-donate it and buy another. But the guy said if it breaks down, bring it back and they do repairs for reasonable donations. It's really a great thing they do for the community and people like me on a budget!
    Anyway, The second day I had it I rode it to the store. My first real bike ride in 20 years! The store is only a mile away, and I made it in good time. Did my shopping and rode back. When I got home I got off the bike, took 3 steps and hit the ground like a ton of bricks! couldn't feel my legs at all! Was able to get up and walk again after a few minutes. It seems the narrow racing seat on the bike puts direct pressure on my sciatic nerves causing me to lose circulation. Well, I figured that would be an easy fix. I took the bike back to the shop, and told them the problem and they pointed to 3 boxes full of old bike seats. I found one that looked brand new, made for a cruiser bike with wider profile and better padding. Yup, it helped a lot! I also ordered a couple items from Amazon. Since this is an urban commuter bike for shopping and such, I added a cargo rack and I had to add a kick stand. The bike had also come with 2 bottle holders and a tire pump. So now I have about $75 invested in this bike. I about fell out of my chair when I saw that the Bicycle blue book on this particular bike in good condition is like $600! I think I got a good deal!
    Anyway, I've ridden it to the store a few times now. My endurance is slowly getting better and I love the independence of not having to beg a ride from family and friends just to go get a loaf of bread or some such. I have not only a grocery store within range, but a library, book store, BBQ joint, burger joint, convenience store and a few flea markets.
    I'm working on turning two old Musette bags into Panniers. At first I thought I wouldn't add any kind of cargo basket, but eventually gave in and attached a milk crate just yesterday and I find it very useful. Plus, I can attach my Maxpedition Lunada to one side of the basket and I have an old Condor drop leg platform attached to the other side which allows me to attach molle pouches such as a canteen carrier, cargo pockets, FAK, etc. I wouldn't put them on and leave them for daily use, since I'd probably park the bike in front of a store and come back out to find all the pouches stripped off. But, they can be quickly added for pleasure rides on the bike trails etc.
    I've got a lot more work to do, but I'm really enjoying this bike!

20294549_10208933519766406_8551241396518873367_n.jpg 20664596_10209017832474171_4953684598696265909_n.jpg 20767968_10209017832514172_1928903649948246276_n.jpg 20770478_10209040959292327_5769838814129482297_n.jpg 20799310_10209017832874181_7064329936160325338_n.jpg 20800264_10209040958932318_6245645539885664512_n.jpg 20841058_10209040958772314_9084970730019123284_n.jpg 20914460_10209040958972319_9172910036790589018_n.jpg

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  31. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the link, that was a glowing review of the CST. I think that convinced me to get them. I love cheap and cheerful, it's in the spirit of bushcrafting, making do, thriving, with a little as possible.

Shoe Goo lookin' good. I haven't ridden it yet but it looks promising. I got the idea from a bike blog, people successfully repairing cuts in tires with Shoe Goo. I don't know if it will work on damaged beads. I don't expect it to be a permanent repair but it might make the tire last until I get a new one.

I tried super glue and it worked on two of the three damaged areas. I scraped the super glue off with a tiny rasp, then lightly sanded the areas, then wiped with a clean rag, before I put on the Shoe Goo.

Blackhills likes this.
  32. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    That's a great story. By dumping the car you'll save a ton of money, and, you will be a lot healthier. You are way ahead of the curve.

50 is not old, I'm 64, and can still ride with the fast guys. I don't look my age, no doubt that it has to do with cycling for the past 30 years.

33. M.W. Gammill

M.W. Gammill Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the support. Yeah, I gave up trying to own a car on my fixed income. I could either afford a car and live in a tiny efficiency, or forget the car and live in my house with a yard for gardening and my dog. It was really a no brainer.

34. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Something I do in my retirement, walk and sit dogs. Right now I have two dogs at my house @ $25 per night and I'm doing 3 walks @ $15 per walk. I'll earn $95 today. Dogs are much better to deal with than humans and people who will pay good money for the wellbeing of their dogs are good people.

PS I ride my bike to the dog walking jobs.

Blackhills, dreamin and M.W. Gammill like this.
  35. M.W. Gammill

M.W. Gammill Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've done quite a bit of dog sitting myself. I've got an English Shepherd and she likes the company. Watched my friends dog for years while she worked and was getting her Masters. She paid what she could which helped a lot, and let's me use her car for big errands and shopping a few times a month. Sadly, her dog passed away last year. But I think her niece whose going out of country a few months may have me watch her dog while she's away? But I'll still get out for an hour ride most days.

36. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:

Tried out the slo motion on my phone on this smaller drop.

37. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    The Shoe Goo tire has been tested, it totally works on tire bead damage. I dropped off curbs, banged into curbs, and road some bumpy dirt, no pfssssssst.

I am going to order the CST tires. I am confident the repair will allow me to ride until they get here. Maybe I'll delay putting on the new tire just to see how well the Shoe Goo works.

There ya' go, a good kludge to know.

Blackhills, sdjsdj and iahunter3 like this.
  38. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    I guess I'll add that to the tool kit. I still have half a tube from longboards.

39. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Shoe Goo repairs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blackhills likes this.
  40. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    There's a new Surly Karate Monkey. Clearance for 27.5+ tires. It has 145mm rear spacing and by some magic can run 142 or 148 Boost thru axle hubs or 135 QR hubs. I think they're saying that the rigid steel Karate Monkey can run a 110 Boost thru axle hub or 100 QR hub. It's pretty danged smart and a very desirable bike to my way of thinking.

https://www.bikerumor.com/2016/07/2...ew-moves-27-compatibility-gnot-boost-spacing/

[​IMG]

41. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Thats a nice looking bike. I really wouldnt mind having a rigid 650+ or 29+ bike. I was looking at nashbars single speed cyclecross bike. Its on sale for $299 (have to add it to the cart to see the sale). Very tempting.

42. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
  43. sdjsdj

sdjsdj Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Nicely done @M.W. Gammill . Try to keep at it everyday. I believe riding a bike daily will truly change your life.

44. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I went for a real trail ride on the Shoe Goo tire. Pfsssssssssssst. Two of the three patches held. The one that leaked had the most bead damage. I re-did it with Shoe Goo when I got home. The tire didn't go completely flat, it stopped leaking when the pressure got down to around 10psi, enough to ride gently back to the car. I was about 2/3rds done with the ride before it went pfsssssssst.

I ordered two CST tires from Xtreme Bike & Sport for $61.16, no sales tax, free shipping. That's less than the price of one Surly Knard. The tires ship from Kansas to California.

Blackhills likes this.
  45. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Reminds me of a story. My buddy grew up impoverished in Argentina. When he needed new brake pads he'd go to the tire store and they would make him brake pads out of the bead of an old car tire. They worked just fine. Later on he became a national track champion.

Blackhills likes this.
  46. Idabow

Idabow Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Holy crap! That dude just rode up and down lions back! That's stupid steep! I know somebody did it with either a crown vic, or caprice, but still on a bike? Built jeeps have trouble climbing and descending that hill.

On a bike? That's crazy!

47. hooliganwithheart

hooliganwithheart Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Awesome post :dblthumb:

Respect to you sir and respect!

Blackhills, M.W. Gammill and GeoKrpan like this.
  48. TStilwell

TStilwell Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Out for a ride today... learned a lesson. Always check your hydro bladder before you leave to be sure your water doesn't taste like plasticy poo. And carry spare tubes especially if your tires are six years old. 6 miles into my 9 mile ride on the return stretch I got a flat, patch didn't work, and I'm waiting on my wonderful sister to bring me a new tube and some water. Looks like I'll be ordering some new tires and tubes when I get home. Any good recommendations for 27" tires on a hybrid bike? Currently has Kenda tires on it.

49. stillman

stillman Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:

It's a good thing to have a sister who will bring you some water and a tube on Saturday.

I keep my Camelbak in the fridge to keep the bad stuff from growing. It's too much trouble to wash it every time I use it.

I've been very happy with my Vittoria Voyager Hyper tires. They roll fast and are smooth-riding.

Blackhills, GeoKrpan and TStilwell like this.
  50. TStilwell

TStilwell Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Finished up with just over ten miles. Took way to long due to the flats.. that's plural. Lol. The fix a flat stuff failed after a mile or so, stopped and changed the tube, which I didn't want to do as my chain is in desperate need of cleaning, even using grass clippings to scrub my hands I ride home black handed. Going to get ready and hop in the car for a trip to the sports store and look to see what they have.

Blackhills, GeoKrpan and stillman like this.