Bicycle Riders?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by werewolf won, Jun 16, 2011.

1. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just took the bike off the work stand.
    I won't call it user error... rather I'll call it not being informed.
    The front lever moves the chain one cog at a time. The rear lever does indeed move it four at a time if you push it that far. Pushing it with my thumb as far as I could without re-gripping or stretching, was downshifting two gears at a time. It seemed like the right distance to push it to me.

If Shimano has that information on their site, I couldn't find it. And Trek's owners' manual doesn't mention it. And neither did the sales guy.
    Learning curve. My last shifters were grip shifters.

GeoKrpan likes this.
  2. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Ok, I see, not familiar with Shimano trigger shifters. To shift one gear is a single click, hold it down and it will make multiple shifts. Glad it's cleared up.

FYI, the smaller lever on both sides can be pushed with the thumb or pulled with the forefinger, can be handy to know. One reason I go with Shimano over SRAM. At least that's the way is is with Shimano MTB shifters. Your bike has Tiagra flat bar road shifters. I don't know if they work the same but check if they do.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    PAcanis likes this.
  3. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Holding it down just moves one gear on the short trigger lever. It's the longer lever (the one that shifts to a larger gear on the cassette) that has a longer throw. It will shift 1,2,3 or 4 depending on how far you push it. But nowhere is there anything telling you that. And it's not like that on my Stache.
    I have no idea how the drop bar shifter works. If it works the same way of not. Maybe it's the difference between Tiagra and Deore? Or "Rapid-Fire"?
    Either way that information on shift pattern should be included somewhere.

I like to pull back on the short shift lever with my index finger. Otherwise I'm trying to reach around the long lever, which doesn't feel natural.

GeoKrpan likes this.
  4. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Correction. My Stache will move the rear four cogs, too.
    I have the shifter in a different position and never get close to moving the lever that much to even jump two gears. Plus it doesn't seem as touchy. There is more room between clicks.

GeoKrpan likes this.
  5. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I am curious if the short levers on your FX 5 can be pushed or pulled.

PAcanis likes this.
  6. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    The short levers? Either or. I can use my thumb or pull with my index finger. Both the front derailleur and rear.
    Actually, the short shift lever for the front has three clicks/positions. I've only ridden the bike using the large chainset so far. I'm kind of interested to see how many clicks to move it to the smaller gear. Especially since the 5 is a 2x10. I don't need a three position shifter.

I'm not sure I'm all in on these levers moving you more than one gear at a time.

GeoKrpan likes this.
  7. TraditionalbyChoice

TraditionalbyChoice Guide

Blog Posts:
    well I built up a campus single speed today. I was given a nice lugged steel frame, but the paint was badly worn. I stripped it off so it was raw and made a flatbar singlespeed out of it. I also stripped the anodizing off the flat bar with oven cleaner, and then stripped it. Its pretty much a mix match of parts, but it should be a fun campus bike. I'll post pictures in the morning.

GeoKrpan and PAcanis like this.
  8. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for that. Your shifters, Tiagra flat bar, are for road derailleurs. MTB shifters have a different cable pull ratio.

There will be one click shifting between the front chainrings. My Shimano Deore MTB shifters have a slide switch on them to select between double or triple cranks.

The multiple shift feature can be useful in a situation where you don't know how many downshifts it will take. Press the lever down, it will immediately shift one gear, then keep it depressed but let up on it a tiny bit so that it doesn't shift again. If you still need to shift down another gear, press it all the way down. Repeat as needed. It is a very useful technique trying to stay with the pack going up a hill. It will shift more smoothly than clicking the shifter multiple times.

PAcanis likes this.
  9. Morrow7x

Morrow7x Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Tiagra flat bar 2x front shifters will also have 'trim' clicks.

Best to go to the shops and have the shifting on both bikes demonstrated in a stand. IMHO nothing good can come of trying to make adjustments before fully understanding the shifters, or learning to shift via forum post... ;-)

PAcanis and GeoKrpan like this.
  10. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for that info, I had wondered about that.

The Shimano MTB shifters have no trim clicks, and none are needed. If the front derailleur is adjusted correctly, there is no chain rub from one side of the cassette to the other. The reason is that MTB front ders are wider than road front ders. That's why I go with MTB shifters. The MTB front derailleur easily works with the larger road chainrings. Another reason I go with MTB shifters is they are a lot cheaper than flat bar road shifters.

PAcanis likes this.
  11. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    The park tool videos are pretty comprehensive and can be helpful. But go to the shop considering its a new bike.

12. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    I just got off the phone with Trek and he mentioned the extra click I was hearing was a trim click. Not because the shifter was meant for a 3x. I should have read your post first ;)

You know... when I traded in my current Harley for a Street Glide the HD salesman said "1 up, 5 down". Which was good information because the bike I had just come from was a five-speed, not a six-speed like the SG. He didn't assume I knew how to shift it.
    The last place I am going to go back to for information is the bike shop that sold me my bike and sent me on my way, knowing that my last bike was a 1995 Univega. They seemed more interested in trying to sell me clipless pedals than going over the bike with me.
    That's just the way I am. I'd rather figure out things on my own or with the help from people who don't have a vested interest other than helping out a new guy. Especially in light of the customer service I seem to have missed from the one bike shop.

But I also think that Trek should have included this information in their owners' manual, too. Or a supplemental manual from Shimano. I could have come from Sram to Shimano and not known how these shifters work. Lord help me if I ever get a roadbike with a drop bar and shifters. I'll be learning all over again, lol.

GeoKrpan likes this.
  13. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    You now know all there is to know about Shimano road shifters, flat bar or drop bar, they work the same, unless you go to Shimano di2 electronic shifting.

PAcanis likes this.
  14. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Cool.
    I'm getting to that dangerous stage, lol.
    Being out of bikes for so long has put me out of touch with innovations. I'm working on correcting that though.
    Now if it would only stop snowing...

GeoKrpan likes this.
  15. Morrow7x

Morrow7x Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well, you're going to love these bikes after you get a few hours on them. :)

A while ago I installed Tiagra flat bar when I did a 'roadster' conversion on my wife's old fillet brazed Nobilette frame. Wow, that stuff shifts and feels nice!

16. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    I'm jonesing to ride more. This snow is killing me. It's like withdrawls or something. Not getting out to play with the new toys. Plus I want to see if I can outline a decent place out back to make a little track for the Stache. Something where I pedal, but also get momentum to carry me through part of it.

I'd love to hear about your mods. I've been reading up on those, too.
    When I ordered the FX I thought that was going to be "THE" bike. Then I decided I needed the Stache. So I've been reading up on forums and watching YT videos on modifying bikes and changing bars, shifters and whatnot. Just in case I decide to put drop bars on the FX. There seems to be two cultures (like everything), those on forums that tell you that you throw the bike's geometry off and it isn't worth the price of the parts compared to a new bike; and those on YT that show you how it's done and carry on. Even the one bike shop told me you can't modify a bike and these guys putting flat bars on road bikes and vice versa don't know what they are doing...

... then I asked them about a bike I saw sitting there that looked really cool. It had wider tires than a hybrid and small knobbies on them. And the frame was beefy, but it had drop bars. It looked like it could do anything. Like a nice all around bike that could actually handle a trail with roots.
    I got a, "oh that's the boss' bike. We call it Frankenbike" type answer.

Yeah, OK, you can't modify a bike, but people are doing it. Including your boss.

So I'd love to see or hear about your mod, in layman's terms. How do you actually decide if it will ride right without having the parts in hand to try out?

GeoKrpan likes this.
  17. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like a gravel bike?
    I like my gravel bike a lot. Still have to order wtb resolute tires for it.
    BFC1B691-63A3-40D8-A3BD-5E1DEA8F079F.jpeg

They handle trails perfectly fine....
    E4012798-24DC-42EE-B54A-4213AC29A557.jpeg

cachambers, GeoKrpan and PAcanis like this.
  18. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Yeah. It was like a heavy duty gravel bike that could take to the trails about as well as a MTB. I can't remember if it had front suspension or not...

GeoKrpan likes this.
  19. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    You are free to do as you please, I do. If it pisses off the dogmatic, who cares.

Road bikes have a shorter top tube than MTB bikes because of the reach to the hoods. That has to be taken into consideration when switching from drop to flat bars or vice versa.

To put a conventional drop bar on the FX you would need to buy hydraulic integrated shift/brake levers, uber expensive! I put an upside down beach cruiser bar on my flat bar gravel bike and used the MTB levers and shifters that came on the bike. It's sort of like drop bars without the hoods but I ride the drops only anyway.

Road bars are 23.8mm in diameter, MTB bars 22.2. Road controls fit on a 22.2 bar, might need a shim, but MTB controls won't slide on to a 23.8 bar. I have filed out the clamps on MTB controls to fit on a 23.8 bar. Totally works, plenty of metal in those clamps.

Upside down Wald 872 cruiser bar on Velo Orange Piolet adventure bike.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    PAcanis likes this.
  20. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Hydraulic road levers with MTB shifters on a Wald 872. I have never seen anyone do this, works perfectly.

[​IMG]

Jones bar on adventure bike. You might consider one for your MTB. This one has a rise/drop but a flat version is available.

[​IMG]

PAcanis likes this.
  21. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Pretty wild looking setups, Geo.

GeoKrpan likes this.
  22. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    I really like that Velo frame. Lots of nice frames available at ththe moment.

GeoKrpan likes this.
  23. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    The reason I got it was that it over the Surly Long Haul Trucker was that it can fit any size tire, even 29x3 PLUS tires if you run a 1x setup. Also, it is so visually interesting and beautiful, the Surly being dull dull dull by comparison. It only cost a few dollars more.

It is a great bike for loaded touring but it is overbuilt for commuting.

24. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I have to live with the scrutiny from the more orthodox cyclists. It cracks me up really, as if they know it all. No one knows it all. They will dismiss my handlebar setup without ever have ridden it. Yet, if they are remotely in my peer group the odds are great that I will blow their doors off.

Logically, my setups make so much more sense over the drop bar. The greater width means more watts at the crank with the same effort. The abdomen is greatly more stable enabling a smoother, more powerful pedal stroke.

I used drop bars for 20 years. I can't tell you it's better for you, but I can say my "alt" bars are vastly superior for me.

Most cyclists would never use my setup. It's more of an issue of fitting in, seeking approval. I'm am long past that stage in my cycling. I couldn't give a flying finangling what others think. They spend thousands to improve their bikes, yet they bypass the most important component, the handlebar.

PAcanis likes this.
  25. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    I just saw a video last night with a guy that had THREE bikes set up with the handlebars that way. The video wasn't about the handlebars, I just noticed them more or less in the background. They all looked like MTBs.

I just got back from the bike shop. I picked up a new dropper tube to allow me to drop the seat just a little bit and get the seat post collar off the seat tube collar. I should probably get going on that while my porch is all nice and bright.

GeoKrpan likes this.
  26. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I would like a link to that video.

27. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    And I wish I could find it, lol.
    I want to say it was in a string of videos I was watching that included this video, but dang if I can find it in my history. Not without playing everything I watched again. Probably because the video didn't feature the bikes. They just happened to be sitting there while the guy was going over something else. And I'm thinking it was shifters.
    When I watch youtube on the TV it just plays one video right after the other that is usually related, but after so many videos it starts going off on tangents. It might pop up again, as I'm watching a lot of bike vids. I'll be sure to note it.

But here's a video with one bike anyway.

GeoKrpan likes this.
  28. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I was trying to find a band on YouTube yesterday. I couldn't remember the name of the band or album but I knew the genre, 1960s psychedelic, so I typed that in the search window. Sure enough, lo and behold, I found it.

PTOOFF by The Deviants, 1967. Completely bonkers, hard to believe it's from 1967.

[​IMG]

29. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    They have a Spinal Tap kind of beat.

GeoKrpan likes this.
  30. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Jason has been living in Ojai for the last 2+ months. I suspect marital problems but I have minded my own business. He's getting a job at a bike shop there, Bike Mob.
    What got him the job was his skills with a camera. Bike Mob caters to tourism. He'll be taking pics of Fred and Frederika on vaca and guiding rides. The shop also has rides for people with developmental issues which he has loads of experience with as a teacher in public school.

Today he's going to be in nearby Canoga Park, minding the shop at Torelli Bicycle Co., a bike maker. I am going over to see him and the shop. I'll let you know about it.

BTW Jason said that another reason he got the job was that the owner like his handlebar setups for which Jason gave me the credit.

BTW BTW Jason has been wreaking havoc on the Ojai mountain bikers on his singlespeed cyclocross bike with goofy handlebars that I gave him. We call it geek hunting.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  31. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    You know this group?

PAcanis likes this.
  32. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Not before today;)
    I did a quick copy and paste and speed listened my way through the album.

GeoKrpan likes this.
  33. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Speaking of "alt" handlebars, here is Canyon's Hover bar. Clueless, if you ask me. The stem attaches to the lower crossbar. The upper cross car flexes for comfort. But, you can't brake with you hands on the tops. At least you can hook your thumbs around the lower crossbar and the drops are slightly flared.

I'll bet a Wald 872 is better and costs a whopping $15. I think the Hover bar looks way goofier. At least their is some recognition that the drop bar is way inadequate for the dirt.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/canyon-cp01-hoverbar-specs-details-51934/

[​IMG]

Bike Snob NYC rant about the Hover bar.

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  34. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I figured you were too young to have known it. If you did you'd be a connoisseur of 1960s psychedelic obscurities. I'm old but this era was just before my time. YouTube is amazing in this respect but I don't respect YouTube. They have been censuring people.

I'm certain that Pink Floyd and Zappa were inspired by The Deviants.

35. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    The last few songs were Pink Floyd esque.
    And I do happen to have a Spooky Tooth album, but I didn't buy it until the early eighties ;)

That hover bar is Uglye. Makes no sense. Looks more like a piece together crashbar in case you hit a tree dead on.

GeoKrpan likes this.
  36. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I remember getting the second Spooky Tooth album when it first came out in 1969. I was in high school. It is a classic. Music was so great in those days, radio too.

[​IMG]

PAcanis likes this.
  37. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    That's the album I have.

But back to cycling...
    I've got a frame pump and I've got a CO2 valve with adjustable knob in my Amazon cart.
    Decisions decisions...

They aren't an arm and a leg, so I'll probably get both. I don't want to hang a lot of stuff on either bike. I'll probably go with the CO2 for the seat bag on the hybrid. And if I ever take the MTB to a nearby trail, I'll fasten the pump to it, but I'll still need something to carry the tube and tire irons anyway... Maybe I'll get two water bottles and use one like a storage container.

GeoKrpan likes this.
  38. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    I took the old Univega Alpina 501 for a short spin today to make sure she still works. She just needs a nice bath.
    I'll probably hang onto her. She's only worth 50 bucks according to an online blue book. Maybe some day 30 years from now some pickers will visit :)
    upload_2018-3-18_16-3-31.jpeg

GeoKrpan and dreamin like this.
  39. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    It is a great album, a classic.

I use a pump, never CO2. I use tire liners so flats are not common. I see a lot of CO2 cartridge litter, douchiness. Cracks me up when a stranded CO2 user asks to borrow my pump.

PAcanis likes this.
  40. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Tire liners. First time hearing about those. Thanks.
    Good to know there's an option without going to tubeless and sealant.

GeoKrpan likes this.
  41. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Tubeless for MTB, tubes for road. I know a guy who did tubeless for road and went back to tubes after getting stranded a few times.

I did ghetto tubeless, split tube method, on my MTB with rims and tires that are not tubeless, totally works. Your new MTB probably has tubeless rims and tires but was delivered with tubes.

PAcanis likes this.
  42. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Thanks.
    They can both be ran tubeless.
    The MTB shop gave me the valve stems, the other shop did not. Probably in the back with my toe clips :rolleyes:

GeoKrpan likes this.
  43. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    The reason I said tubes for the road is that road tires are thin and delicate compared to offroad tires. If the tire gets a hole or rip that the sealant can't seal, you're stranded. You can always carry a tube but it will be a mess putting in the tube with the sealant, out on the road. Also, road tires don't last long. Going through the tubeless routine every time you change a tire is a drag.

With a gravel bike, you want to be able to change tires depending on the type of riding you'll be doing. Not easy with tubeless. Some people have two sets of wheels.

Tubed tires can be found uber cheap while tubeless is still rather pricey.

PAcanis likes this.
  44. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've got a thumbtack in the front tire of my commuting bike. Never pull one out unless you are prepared for psssst. Leave it alone until you get home.

PAcanis likes this.
  45. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    I've got more concern getting flats on my MTB, as I'll be riding it a lot on my property. I've had three Polaris', 2 ATV's and a UTV, and they all came with very soft 2-ply tires. Flat city unless I opted for better tires or put Slime in them. Heck, I think the rear tires on my tractor are the only tires that haven't had tubes put in them. I am constantly getting flats from something. Even mowing my yard.
    But I figure I'm more likely to be close to home or a car on the MTB. The other bike I'm more likely to be a ways off. I repaired flats as a kid, so putting in a new tube should be no big deal.

GeoKrpan likes this.
  46. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Go tubeless on the MTB, ASAP. If you ride the gravel bike on dirt, get tire liners.

Flat city and you haven't determined the cause? Here in SoCal it's goathead thorns, will puncture anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PAcanis likes this.
  47. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Canyon got alot of hate for that handlebar on social media.
    29214126_2020611661597423_7712225331771342848_n.jpg

48. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    As for going tubeless all my bikes are tubeless except for the fat bike and campus bike. The first thing I did with the gravel bike when I got it was go tubeless.

49. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    I have an extra tube for each bike. I'll probably wait until I get my first flat before going tubeless or adding the liners. Especially the hybrid. I'm already having thoughts of getting different tires and drop bars for it. It depends on where my rides take me if I want to convert it to more of a road bike or more of a gravel bike.

GeoKrpan likes this.
  50. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    What I did on my gravel bike was to get really heavy tubed tires, 900 grams. The weight takes a lot of the thrash out of the ride. I don't care about the weight because I have another bike for the road.

PAcanis likes this.