Bicycle Riders?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by werewolf won, Jun 16, 2011.

1. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I just got done with my commuting for the day.

With the current 1 x 11 setup, 40 chainring/11-42 cassette, I am using only the three smallest cogs of the cassette the vast majority of the time.

Not good, that cassette won't last long. A compelling reason to go 2 x 11 with 50 chainring even if it means buying a new derailleur.

2. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Happy Thanksgiving! My twin brother is coming over to go for a ride.

3. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    iahunter3 likes this.
  4. TraditionalbyChoice

TraditionalbyChoice Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yep, popular cx choice.

I have never had a problem with 1x specific 11 speed derailleurs on a 2x system. I built quite a few gravel bikes over the summer with gx 11 speed setups with a 46/36 crankset.

GeoKrpan and iahunter3 like this.
  5. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, that is great news.

I just ordered SRAM 110 bcd, 5 arm, 50 and 34 chainrings, 2x chainring bolts, and a 120 link 11 speed chain.

The front shifter and front derailleur have already been shipped.

I also ordered 2 SRAM GX 2 x 10 rear derailleurs with clutch with 36 max cog. One will go on the 2 x 10 29+, the other on the 3 x 10 steel gravel bike. $55 each.

If I like it on the steel gravel bike, I will get the Shimano Ultegra RX800 road rear derailleur with clutch for the carbon gravel bike.

6. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    The front derailleur arrived. Looks like it will work. It's a SRAM X7 2 x 10, $15, in the SRAM packaging. This one is called a low mount and you can see why. On this bike a high mount might have had a tire clearance issue. The low mount looks sleek and minimal. It's called dual pull which means the cable can pull it from the top or bottom. My bike will pull it from the top. The derailleur I got actually has hex head adjustment screws, not like below. It is a pleasant dark grey, not quite a color match for the rear derailleur but only the most neurotic would notice. It has a plastic shim to fit my seat tube, 31.8, so it's not mounted metal on metal, sweet.

[​IMG]

7. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Scrolling through pinkbike and I saw this, thought it was pretty neat. Campy downtube shifter as a dropper lever.
    26368620_328298337668042_4568246723490611200_n.jpg

GGTBod and GeoKrpan like this.
  8. Morrow7x

Morrow7x Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Some of the shots I used in a shop calendar a while back... ;)

Attached Files:

9. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    All the stuff is here for the 2 x 11 conversion, except for the shifter. I got a new chain just in case the old one wasn't long enough. I got this chain because it has 120 links, the others had 114.

[​IMG]

GGTBod likes this.
  10. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    The 2 x 1o derailleurs with clutch also arrived. I will put them on the steel gravel bike and 29+ MTB. Both are 2 x 10 with long cage derailleurs so it's going to be easy. I get to use the quick link plier that I bought for the first time. I also got a star nut setter for 10 bux.

[​IMG]

GGTBod likes this.
  11. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    The installation of the clutch derailleur went without a hitch for the reasons stated above, it took minutes, literally. There is a feature on this derailleur that takes off chain tension for wheel removal which made the job a breeze.

It has been test ridden.

GCN, Global Cycling Network, did a vid on the Shimano Ultegra RX800 rear derailleur with clutch. They tied a rag to the right side chainstay and rode with the clutch disengaged. Then, they put on a clean rag and rode with the clutch engaged. They compared the rags afterwards. There was some oil on rag 2 which means that there is still some slap but it was only a small fraction of rag 1. They rode on a cobblestone street. They said nothing more about the other advantages.

The comments were interesting.
    One guy said it added drag which was tiresome on a long ride.
    This is true, there is added drag with the bike in the repair stand, switching the clutch on and off. But, imperceptable when riding. This is the kind of guy that would blame a poor performance on a tire that weighs 20 grams more than what he usually rides

Another guy said it made wheel changes harder with the clutch engaged.
    So, disengage it. The SRAM der. that I got is not switchable but it does have the above mentioned feature.

Another guy said shifting was worse with the clutch engaged.
    My perception is that shifting is better. The chain is not bouncing around as much.

I say, the clutch has only added good, no bad. There is virtually no chain slap. It's only noise but until it's gone only then do you realize the level of distraction and unplesantness. The drivetrain now feels more like a single speed, more efficient, just a better feel. My spin is noticably better especially while standing. It adds drag but it improves the performance of the drivetrain, counter intuitive but true. It's analogous to the MMA fighter that smokes pot before a fight to improve performance, illegal in MMA.

Back during the singlespeed/fixed gear era there was much conjecture about why a 1 speed drivetrain was better than multi-speed. Now that I have tried the clutch, I must conclude that it is the stability of the chain.

[​IMG]

GGTBod likes this.
  12. GGTBod

GGTBod Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Well put mate I totally agree, any drag or downside is massively outweighed by the benefits, its easy to forget it after riding for a while but go back to a 10 speed Rd with no clutch or 9 or 8 speed and the difference is mind blowing

GeoKrpan likes this.
  13. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thank you. Not going back, never!

GGTBod likes this.
  14. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    BTW About the above bike that I put on the clutch derailleur.

It has a 3 x 10 drivetain. It has MTB derailleurs, the front der. is 3 x 9, the rear 2 x 10. It has MTB shifters. Only the crank is road, 3 x 10, triple chainrings, 50/39/30. The MTB front derailleur works perfectly with the road crank. In the 50 chainring there is no front der. rub from one side of the cassette to the other, smallest cog to biggest cog, 36.

The brakes are TRP hydraulic. The bike was sold as a gear ready single speed with removable cable stops and guides. Only the cable stop on the right chainstay is welded on.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    GGTBod likes this.
  15. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    The bike with the clutch derailleur has been ridden in anger on a Saturday morning road ride.

I did lake laps, a five mile loop. I call it the Westlake Village criterium course. On a Saturday morning there will be many opportunities to "race" because there are so many riders out.

It's just as I theorized, the clutch is a big improvement. There is just more drive in the bike, it picks up speed faster. After a hard acceleration I'm not as blown and hence recover faster.

I really only got in one race but it was a young, strong buck. He zapped by and I had to sprint to get on his wheel. After half a mile he looked back and was surprised that I was there. He jumped immediately to try and dislodge me. I stood to sprint in the drops, him on the hoods. My sprint was better, he collapsed into the saddle, I could have stayed standing longer. We hit a light and had to stop. We had the opportunity to chat, I said thanks for the training, he said no problem buddy. The light turned green and he sped away but not with the same intensity. I think he realized he'd met his match. We came up behind a friend of mine and I slowed to ride with him, letting the guy go.

I have raced this guy before and he had an easier time with me in the past. No doubt he remembers that too.

I would conclude that the clutch has made me faster.

GGTBod likes this.
  16. Brain Farts Too Much

Brain Farts Too Much BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    All I do is ride Bicycle, take a bus, hop a train, or hitchhike. I own a vintage Peugot. Although I am wanting to upgrade to a more modern Aluminum frame Giant road bike. PeugeotUO18BlueFullSideRight.jpg

17. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sweet looking bike.

18. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Paul Sherwen, right, the legendary Tour de France announcer, has died at age 62. On the left is his co-announcer, Phil Ligget. Don't wait sonny.

PS It was a bad week, I had a dog and then a cat, die.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    GGTBod and TraditionalbyChoice like this.
  19. iahunter3

iahunter3 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Brain... funny you looking for Alum. bike and I'm looking for steel...
    Sad week GEO, feel for ya buddy.

Bought new wheels for myself for Christmas. Nothing special, Shimano RS010. Popped a few spokes last year off the RS3's that came on the bike. I've been putting on my winter weight (200 even) hope I'm not too heavy for them. They came with the same Continental tires that my bike originally had on it. Should be good for 2k miles. My 28's will have to stay in the box another year unless I become weak and buy a new bike. Wishing I had the knowledge a lot of you do here, would just build a dream bike and be done (yea right...).

20. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Ian. I used to not trust wheels with that few spokes, but hey, they're Shimano. With so few spokes, I'd keep an eye on the spoke tension, not hard to do.

GGTBod and iahunter3 like this.
  21. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I decided not to use the front shifter that I bought for $18 on ebay. It's a flat bar road shifter and I'd rather use a MTB shifter. So, I found one at Jenson USA for $32. It looks close enough to the Apex shifter that came on the bike. Only the biggest nerds would notice.

Jensen also had resin brake pads for the XT8000 brakes for $6 a wheel. They don't have the cooling fins but that's OK with me. The pads that came with the XT brakes are metallic but the rotors that came on the bike are resin only. The combination of resin pads and rotors is the most quiet I've ever used.

[​IMG]

iahunter3 and GGTBod like this.
  22. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    iahunter3 likes this.
  23. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    I have built too many of those. I have also seen some quality control issues with them. They sure are fun to wheelie around though!

GeoKrpan likes this.
  24. cbrianroll

cbrianroll Professional Tinkerer Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Man I need to start riding again....hoping my fatigue from med issues will go away. Used to ride a bit of mountain bike, just bought a used (but looks fantastic trek excalibur 7...needs brake pads though) I know...its not as cool as your guys) maybe I can work my way up..thanks for this thread..Been fun reading it!

iahunter3, SCB and GeoKrpan like this.
  25. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thank you. Gives you something to do while you're recovering. I hope it inspires you.

SCB likes this.
  26. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Jason is such a kook, birds of a feather..... He's looking forward to doing some geek hunting on it. His bike got burned up in the fire that destroyed his house. His friends started a GoFundMe account for him and he got $6000.

The brakes on the SE Om Duro are shite, cable Avid BB5. I will put on some hydraulic brakes for him. He'll get the old brakes from my new bike after I put the XT brakes on it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    iahunter3 likes this.
  27. iahunter3

iahunter3 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've seen this rider and bike on RAGBRAI every year I've ridden. Yep he wears the full helmet when it is 90+ degrees. He even wears the shower curtain to some evening festivities.
    Rightfully named the Miyagi Turbo.
    upload_2018-12-6_10-0-2.png

Morrow7x, cbrianroll and GeoKrpan like this.
  28. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I put the clutch derailleur on my 29+ MTB today. It has rained the last two days so all I could do is ride it around the park by my house.

What a difference. The bike is now completely silent. A slapping chain and clunking derailleur has a negative psychological effect. It amplifies the perception of harshness. It is especially true for my bike which is suspension free.

Another thing I notice is that the freewheel feels like it's always engaged. In a tight, slow maneuver there seems to be more control.

I can't wait for the trails to dry up. Jason went to our local trails, Chesebro Park, last week and said it's all burned up but it's open.

iahunter3 and cbrianroll like this.