Bicycle Riders?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by werewolf won, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Donald Devall

Donald Devall Scout

Blog Posts:
    The idea of clipping in to a MTB scares the snot out of me. Pretty sure I’d literally die in my next crash if I was clipped to the bike. :eek:

GeoKrpan and pure_mahem like this.
  2. that_guy

that_guy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    A good set of insoles can make a HUGE difference!

GeoKrpan likes this.
  3. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    36 degrees in the dark describes my 20 minute commute this morning. 36 is about as cold as it gets in SoCal. When I saw the forecast I was tempted to drive, nah I rode.

I have discovered lately that if I roll back the brim of the hood of my jacket that I can ride with it. It keeps me warmer and more comfortable than a beanie. I have a big head and beanies always slide up, exposing my ears.

There's a guy who also commutes regularly whom I've never seen wearing anything but a t-shirt. He must be from the east, or, cold and stupid.

Those of you in the east are probably thinking 36 isn't cold but if you moved to SoCal, after a year you'd think it was cold. Lots of people here from the east and they turn to wimps.

4. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Once you make the leap of faith you will see that it's no big deal. The advantage is that you cycle so much more efficiently. And, with a good pair of stiff shoes, so much more comfortably.

Donald Devall likes this.
  5. TraditionalbyChoice

TraditionalbyChoice Guide

Blog Posts:
    GeoKrpan what do you need to convert your axles to threaded axle? I have been been bending my qr on my dirt jumper front wheel, and I am going to wait to replace the fork and front hub, in the meantime i figured if I could convert it to a threaded axle it would add a little bit of strength.

Is it as simple as measuring the diameter and then ordering the proper rod and nuts?
    I found a few solid axles here
    https://bicyclepartsdirect.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=solid+axle

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    GeoKrpan likes this.
  6. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    10 mm diameter, 1 mm threading, 35-40 mm longer than hub spacing.

Your wheel has to have a loose ball bearing hub.

It doesn't have to be a solid axle, a hollow axle will work as long as it's long enough.

Cut down a longer than needed axle if you can't find the length you want.

You might have an old rear wheel with a hollow axle, would work.

MTBs generally have 10mm axles front and rear. Road bikes may have a 9mm front axle but rear road hubs are 10mm.

You will need metric wheel nuts, 1 mm threading.

A nutted axle is much stronger than a QR, probably as good as a thru-axle.

7. Jeffa

Jeffa Tracker

Blog Posts:

I'm a great divide rider and have done a lot bike packing. There is lots of places to camp, churches, forestry stations, public lands, warmshowers.com
    I ride a salsa fargo with revelate bags and no racks. It's fun as can be. I can switch between skiing tires and fat tires.

kultivat3, GeoKrpan and werewolf won like this.
  8. Donald Devall

Donald Devall Scout

Blog Posts:
    I’ve been practicing! I’m still pretty miserably terrible at mountain bike stuff but hey. For someone my size that was never into bikes as a kid, any bit of progress is great!!

Figured out how to hop my back wheel over a little.

And I’m working on drops. Muscling my front wheel up is no big deal, but learning to do that AND THEN unweight the rear is killing me. Also If anyone cares to frame by frame this Video, you’ll see that I’m pretty sure my frame is going to snap in half at some point lol. Oh well. I’m losing weight and having fun so it is what it is. :D

Criticism welcome.

kultivat3, GeoKrpan and Jeffa like this.
  9. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    After masuring it with a caliper it seems to have a 9mm axle. It does have loose ball bearings so I'll find a 9mm axle somwhere and convert it.

GeoKrpan likes this.
  10. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    When I learned how to do drops I was over thinking it, and when I try to teach people today on what to do I tell them as they approach the lip to try to get their but above or behind the rear axle, that way when you land your not landing heavy on your front wheel. Most people over think pulling up on their handlebars, and shifting their bodyweight. Ill type up a better response tomorrow on this, but heres a few quick video on drop I have had over the year.This drop has a really bad run up, kinda a tricky one, very low speed. The landing is also pretty close so you dont want to over shoot it.

dreamin, kultivat3 and GeoKrpan like this.
  11. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Just realized you were probably talking about going back up obstacles.

GeoKrpan likes this.
  12. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm very surprised it's 9mm. Borrow a wheel nut from a BMX kid and see if you can screw it on your wheel.

Caution. There are two types of threading, 26 tpi and metric. Metric is 25.4 tpi, very close to 26 tpi. 26 tpi will thread on a metric axle but, DON'T do it. Many BMX bike use 26 tpi. Department store bikes might also use 26 tpi. But, better quality bikes are usually metric.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  13. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    You're already looking pretty good. I mountain bike but I'm only average at it. I'm a roadie on a mountain bike.

14. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Maybe the nut from my surly track hub ?

GeoKrpan likes this.
  15. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I saw some vids on YewTewb of people snapping their frames from doing jumps and drops. It was pretty damn funny. Even high falutin brands snap.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=snapped+frames

16. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Give it a try, why not?

The rear hub of your track bike is almost surely 10 mm. So, you can try both.

My carbon gravel bike has a 9 mm front axle. I ordered solid axles and nuts for it. The only length I could find is 151 mm so I'll have to cut it down. I haven't converted it yet because I'm getting no disc brake rub, an indication that the bike is well made.

I have noticed the selection of axles is dwindling. Sign of the times.

17. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Somebody just came into Coffee Bean and congratulated me for riding my bike in the cold. They also said it's 33 degrees, and that today it's colder here than in Chicago and New York. I told them if you give up doing tough things, you give up being tough. And, that I rode because I didn't want to be a car pussy.

pure_mahem, SCB and kultivat3 like this.
  18. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    I had a bmx frame snap on me a few years ago on a small jump at the skate park. It was a specialized bmx bike, definitely didn't see that one coming. They replaced the frame and said it had a defect in the weld by the head tube.

As for the 10mm axle nut on the surly hub, too big. Definitely a 9mm axle on this alex brand hub. Its a pretty old wheel, probably from 2007 or so. I have a new dirt jump frame on the way, so I will probably build up a proper thru axle front wheel this spring.

GeoKrpan likes this.
  19. Morrow7x

Morrow7x Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    9x1 solid axles and nuts are easy enough to find.

Wholesale at QBP, retail on Ebay or direct from Wheels Mfg.

Maybe worth the experiment at wholesale, at retail more than I'd care to sink into such an old wheel that's seen that kind of use... ;-)

Thread on a nut or cone, cut axle, thread off to clean end.

GeoKrpan likes this.
  20. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    My first 29er, 2007 steel KHS Tucson, snapped, downtube at headtube. KHS cheerfully replaced it in a week.

If you're using a QR hub you must not have a thru-axle fork. You'll have to buy a new fork too. I think you'll find that the nutted axle will work great.

Some BMX bikes have 14 mm axles. That's because the kids are so unmerciful on their bikes.

21. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Yeah i have a fox 32 with with a qr at the moment, but I want to replace it eventually with something stiffer, probably either a manitou circus expert with a 20mm thru axle, a older straight steerer fox 36, or a rockshox argyle. In the meantime, im going to buy a 9mm solid axle and try that.

GeoKrpan likes this.
  22. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    The nutted axle will end the bent QR issue and will also make the fork feel stiffer, it ties the ends of fork together so much better, gives it more structural integrity. You may find that it is good enough for the amount of dirt jumping that you do.

TraditionalbyChoice likes this.
  23. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    I hope so, it would be alot cheaper in the end to just do the nutted axle then a wheel build to a new hub and new fork.

Frame made it from israel to NY in 5 days, thats amazing. I dont even get packages from PA in 5 days, let alone from across the ocean.

New frame is a 2011 Specialized P.1. Lowering the fork to 80mm from 100mm to fix the geo next week.

I ordered this axle and some wheels manufacturing nuts
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...title_huc_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2HFCV3FY28WSA

51947606_336332886981184_6850821605644304384_n.jpg
    51645262_704307053304963_1849066700343869440_n.jpg

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    kultivat3 and GeoKrpan like this.
  24. pure_mahem

pure_mahem Guide

Blog Posts:
    Eastern Upstate NY / South Western Vermont
    Is it just me or is that a Trials Bike with a Suspension Fork?

GeoKrpan and TraditionalbyChoice like this.
  25. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Similar, but different geometry. A dirt jump bike jumps well, and can do trials moves, but a trials bike jumps poorly, especially on jumps with steep lips. I tried to ride a inspired hex at rays indoor bike park and didn't have fun trying to jump it. I have also messed around with a echo comp trials bike quite a bit.
    IMG_0442[5003].JPG

My old dirt jump frame was a giant STP, which is the frame Jeff Lenosky did trials shows on. STP stands for street, trail,park.
    IMG_1296[5006].jpg
    IMG_0456.JPG

kultivat3, GeoKrpan and pure_mahem like this.
  26. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yep, that's the right axle. Back in the day, more lengths were offered. You got the nuts too?

27. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Yep, got the nuts also.

GeoKrpan likes this.
  28. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Went on a ride today, some patches of ice here and there. There was a motorcycle drag race out on the ice so I figured I’d ride out and see them. Surprisingly didn’t fall and had a decent amount of traction.
    1B912551-80CA-4B65-BB53-D8DA472A4BB7.jpeg

29. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I only got to ride on Saturday, rain on Sunday. Last weekend was a total loss, rain both days. It doesn't snow here except for a freak but it's been cold enough this winter that you have to watch for puddles which may be frozen.

I rode Saturday but I can't say it was good, cold and windy, but it was better than nothing. I didn't ride long.

I'm on my way home, waiting at a signal before a freeway overpass, when a guy pulls up beside me. Rather than stop beside me and say hello, he passes me and stops ahead of me, called shoaling. Right away I know that the race is on. He turns around and talks to me, sizing up the competition, I've been through this one act play a billion times.

I'm on my "heavy" steel gravel bike with skinny road tires, goofy upside down beach cruiser bar, jeans, backpack, and "Fred yellow" jacket. All I needed to complete the geek ensemble was a helmet mirror. Well, maybe I could use some obnoxious uber bright blinky lights in broad daylight. He was on an expensive carbon bike, no discs, aero bar. He is not aware that aero bars on a road bike are like so 1990, an out of touch old fart, like me. I'd seen him many times before, usually hustling by me on the bike path while I'm commuting, not risking the time saying hello and/or not worthy of one. My thoughts were, I'd like to encounter him on my road bike.

I knew I'd have to clip in quickly once the light turned green. That's how it is in Fred races. I'm using road pedals which are so much harder to clip in so there was some anxiety.

The light turns green and sure enough, as predicted, the guy sprints ahead, out of the saddle. I do the same, but in the drops rather than on the hoods as he's doing, I have no hoods anyway. I calmly catch up and pass him, as predicted. The vibe from him, oh shit. We're on a bike path now. It crosses a freeway on ramp, I'm in front and politely warn him that cars are coming. I stop and he shoals me again, typical Fred race tactic. He sprints again, now on the steepest part of the ramp. I reel him in and go by. This time he's completely gassed. After a bit I look back, I'm completely out of sight. I slow to a cruise and approach the signal where I turn to go home. He's left the bike path and is now on the shoulder among heavy traffic, endangering himself in the bleak hope that it will be faster and that he will catch me. He gets to the light, it's red, and he blatantly runs it in heavy traffic. I've no doubt that it went down as a win in his mind.

30. Morrow7x

Blog Posts:
    LOL. I can see the cringing mechanic when he was told to 'transfer the aero bars from his old bike'.... :D

GeoKrpan likes this.
  31. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Spent the afternoon after class rebuilding the fork on the dirt jumper. Stanctions and foam rings were in really good shape, the dust wipers however were cracked and leaking oil.
    51603055_2322733731330364_3136789103610167296_n.jpg
    51513528_422126575192223_4534361175281893376_n.jpg
    51920794_547806895733302_4896068086702014464_n.jpg

All done, threw on a shadow conspiracy bmx seatpost.
    image1[5013].jpeg

GeoKrpan likes this.
  32. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
  33. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Solid axle is in
    4821C13B-6C67-41F3-A2BE-9C4E550984C9.jpeg

GeoKrpan likes this.
  34. Sollomyn

Sollomyn Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Fellow cyclist here; I don't even have a driver's license. Not even a learner's permit lol. ....What? I grew up in the arctic; who needs a car? XD I only ever traveled via snowmachine, four-wheeler, or dog-sled lol. Montana's been quite the culture shock for me. XD

CRAZY drivers here by the way lol. I saw a skinny little winding paved road near a farm. The speed limit sign on it said 70 miles per hour....pretty sure anyone going 70 on that road would be dead in like, seconds lol.

GeoKrpan likes this.
  35. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    After trimming he axle down I had some small sections that I planned on doing some testing with since I have access to the equipment at school to do so. Sadly, the trimmed sections are way too short for tensile/yield strength tests. Only test I was able to do in it was a Rockwell hardness test. In the Rockwell B scale it came out to 98. Matching that up to a 4140 sample on MatWeb it has a yield strength of 140,000 psi with a ultimate tensile strength of 165,000 psi. For those that arent aware, the yield strength is the value where elastic deformation stops and plastic deformation starts. Elastic deformation the material returns to its original form. Plastic deformation is when the material undergoes permanent changes.

What this means for the new bolt on axle is its gonna be stiff, and give me no more issues. I cant think of an instance where the new axle would not perform better than the qr it replaced. Now I'm more worried about the strength of the fox 32 lower crown than the axle. Its true test will be at Rays Indoor Bike Park in 2 weeks.

Sollomyn and GeoKrpan like this.
  36. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like your major is engineering.

I converted my 29+ rear wheel to a nutted axle. The hub spacing is 170 mm needing an axle of at least 205 mm. Trouble is, 187 mm is the longest ready made axle. So, I bought a 1 meter long threaded rod and made an axle. But, there's all kinds of threaded rod, made of different grades of steel. I did a bunch of research to determine what to get, 4140 chromoly which is exactly what bicycle axles use.

That was three years ago and that axle has given me zero problems.

Kudos to you for using your head instead of your wallet, the true spirit of bushcrafting.

brionic and Sollomyn like this.
  37. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Welcome brother cyclist.

Sollomyn likes this.
  38. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I got a heart and a comment from Dustin Klein for my comment on his vid about handlebars. Dustin is kind of a cycling mad scientist, does a lot of vids on gravel riding.

brionic likes this.
  39. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Yep, mechanical engineering.
    Watched quite a few of dustins videos. Hes got a few nice bikes too!

GeoKrpan likes this.
  40. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    For the past few years I've been thinking of getting a motorcycle. I live in a great area to ride and one of my best friends rides. I've owned them in the past, the last in 2006. I quit riding after I got hit by a car but I lived in the city then.

Lately the manufacturers have been focusing on getting new riders into the sport. So, there are a lot of inexpensive, easy to handle bikes on the market.

This is a Honda CB300R, 300 cc fuel injected single cylinder, less than 320 lbs, less than $5000. I like it, the leading candidate so far.

With 300 cc it's not fast, but it's quick, and, will "do the ton", 100 mph. Holeshots from a signal are doable. Speed kills and can lose you your license. No fairing will keep the speed down. You can have fun at legal speeds, 50-60 mph, on surface streets. There's an old saying, it's better to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow, experienced riders agree. There is also 650 and 1000 cc versions. One experienced reviewer also rode the 650 version and found it dull, prefers the 300.

It's not a freeway bike which is OK with me, I hate riding on the freeway. At one time I owned an 1100 cc bike and a 250 cc scooter, scooter more fun, ridden more.

[​IMG]

Comes in black too. Larger version on left, 300 cc on right.

[​IMG]

brionic likes this.
  41. TraditionalbyChoice

Blog Posts:
    Looks like it would be pretty fun. I do have a 2003 yz 250 that I try to ride as much as I can. My dad has a Yamaha R6 that he stopped riding for a similar reason. Hes looking for somthing a little safer now.

Not my picture, but same bike.
    imageproxy.jpg

GeoKrpan likes this.
  42. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Too clean to be a 2003.

43. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yamaha XSR700. 700 cc parallel twin, 410 lbs, as low as $5999. 2 1/2 times more power than the Honda CB300R, weighs 90 lbs more, only $1000 more.

[​IMG]

brionic likes this.
  44. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Husqvarna Vitpilen 401. The list price is $6299 but a local dealer has it listed for $5000. Is it because it's not selling? Are people put off by it's styling, which I love, or is it not a good bike? Could be it's the low handlebars, but to me it makes sense on a bike with no fairing, and, the bar-seat relationship is a whole lot more mild than my bicycles, and, you don't have to pedal it. It's a whole lot more bike than the Honda. 400 cc, drive by wire, wire wheels, gear indicator. Husqvarna is owned by KTM and basically the Vitpilen is a Duke 390 in different clothes. The Duke is highly regarded. The Vitpilen is made in Austria while the Duke is made in India. I saw a road test comparing the Vitpilen 401, Honda CB300R, and Duke 390. The Honda got the nod, Duke second, Vitpilen last. They criticized the Vitpilen for a bouncy rear suspension, throttle response, and fit and finish. The Honda would be they safe bet but I so love the look of the Vitpilen.

A few years back, Doushcati, Ducati, had an event nearby. I sat on a Scrambler. The riding position was beach cruiser, laughable, comical. It told me that most buyers of this bike are in no way athletic.

PS The weight of the Vitpilen is 326 lbs without fuel, so just a few pounds heavier than the Honda, still uber light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    brionic likes this.
  45. brionic

brionic Blissful simpleton Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I hit a bikepacking expo last night. It rekindled my interest after a bad (self induced) experience last year.

I'm still amused by the intersection of DIY vs high priced, high zoot gear. Reminds me a lot of the late 70s to mid 80s backpacking scene, when we didn't know that you "can't" use "that" kind of gear.

Reconnected with some old friends who I imagine I'll never camp with again because they will be cycling in New Zealand, Alaska, and Spain. Weirdly, they somehow knew exactly of our family's ordeals over the last six years... I presume they have been internet stalking. Anyway, nice surprise. Met some folk sewing their own frame and ditty bags, which intrigues me, until I remember how much time and money I threw at making a pair of mediocre tent stoves :29: Met a Facebook "friend" of mine who has moved back to town, a well known fatbike industry guy who promised to help me get my portly rig sorted out.

On the other hand, I'm giving serious thought to remaking my old Bridgestone MB into a camp bike this year. Ten pounds lighter than the Pugsley really has no downside except for limiting my ability to do stupid human tricks. We'll see if I can con my older boy into letting me have it back. :51:

kultivat3, Mojoe, Jeffa and 1 other person like this.
  46. Morrow7x

Blog Posts:
    FWIW, G, Here's a good resource to compare how one would be positioned on various motorcycles...

www.cycle-ergo.com

GeoKrpan likes this.
  47. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    There is also a scrambler version called Svartpilen, black arrow in Swedish, Vitpilen is white arrow, with knobby tires and riser bar. I like it better, it's the color. A lower bar could be installed. I think it would be better for urban riding. The local dealer has it for $5500, $500 more than the Vitpilen, both list for $6299.

That's a little luggage rack on top of the gas tank.

I like the relatively flat seat, means you can slide back. The other bikes have a stepped seat.
    The pillion seat is removable and a rack can be bought that goes in it's place. Panniers, side bags, are also available. To me a bike is useless that can't carry something. Their capacity is 10 litres per side and they are soft, roll top, dry bags.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    kultivat3, iahunter3 and brionic like this.
  48. Manzi1

Manzi1 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    BMW is also making a 310 I believe.

GeoKrpan likes this.
  49. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yes, a 310, also made in India.

It seems to suffer when compared to it's competitors.

50. Leg

Leg Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My MTB, simple, no suspension. But light, and efficient.

Attached Files:

kultivat3, GeoKrpan and iahunter3 like this.
  51. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Greetings to you in France.

My MTB is without suspension as well, I love it.

I was reading the Wikipedia page on Bretagne, Brittany to English speakers, and it said it was hilly.