Big Bill Wool?

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by crewhead05, Jul 13, 2019.

1. crewhead05

crewhead05 caffeine, nicotine, knives and nature. Lifetime Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    pellegrino likes this.
  2. crewhead05

Blog Posts:
    Big Bill Bump

3. Akela

Akela Scout

Blog Posts:
    That jacket looks like my old Filson.
    I'm liking the looks of their wool pants with the cargo pockets, but I'd need to find a pair on the self somewhere and give them a close hands-on inspection before making a decision to buy or not.

crewhead05 likes this.
  4. crewhead05

Blog Posts:
    My thoughts as well

5. AdamD1776

AdamD1776 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've never used them, but a sporting goods store near me stocks them. The pants seemed well made from my brief inspection of them, and I believe they are made in Canada

crewhead05 likes this.
  6. 1066vik

1066vik Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Big Bill and Codet are the same company in different countries (here and Canada)
    I have a pair of the cargo pants, bibs, and a reversible hunting coat.
    all are good.
    this is mostly recycled wool with 15-25% nylon added to help it wear better.
    it's fairly coarse and scratchy - but has worked well for me.

crewhead05 likes this.
  7. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a pair of their green heavy wool pants. A local clothing store sells them. Very good quality and the price was lower than most other brands like Filson or Johnson wool.

crewhead05 likes this.
  8. XMP

XMP Mountain Man Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've got a pair of the wool cargo pants and they are well made. I've only had them for a year, but I expect them to last for a long time.

crewhead05 likes this.
  9. JoeJ

JoeJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The site says 80% Merino wool - unless you’re sensitive to wool products, I’d think that cruiser should be a mighty smooth feeling. Not sure how it would hold up in thorny brush, but otherwise it looks to be a nice coat.

You might also look at Empire Wool & Canvas, their Camp Coat and Gray Fox are second to no one but will cost more due to the fact their hand made to fit your body style and well worth the cost in my opinion. Their website will show their products but calling might be your best bet when ordering.

crewhead05 likes this.
  10. wisconsinwalter

wisconsinwalter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The Tomahawk Surplus store has Big Bill and I pointed out to my wife what I wanted for Christmas. I was able to try on and liked the fit and feel, Price was very good as well

crewhead05 likes this.
  11. crewhead05

Blog Posts:
    Yeah empire is top gear. Cost is the only reason i have tried one of those or weatherwool or filson or sleeping indian wool :).

12. SilverFox

SilverFox Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a pair of the green wool cargo pants. Bought them late winter last year. I wanted the Merino wool, but they were sold out. They were about $30.00 off full price due to end of season. I like them, but as someone else said they are a little rough and itchy. They seem to be well made. They are WARM. I think they will last many many years. I also have a Big Bill canvas coat. Its about 7 years old and just starting to show wear. It's as good if not better than carhartt.

crewhead05 and Harper like this.
  13. John from Alberta

John from Alberta Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a pair of the 180z Merino Cargo Pants and can't say enough good things about them. I wear them all winter and have no problem playing in thigh deep snow. I wear an Icebreaker merino base layer and I've gone out in them in -30c' and been completely fine. The merino doesn't seem to itch at all, but I wear merino all day everyday so I obviously love it. They dry quickly if you're standing near the fire and are comfortable enough to sleep in. I bought a size up from my normal size to accommodate layering and shrinkage and that seemed to work great.

1066vik and crewhead05 like this.