Bird hunting....

Discussion in 'Outings, Trips & Expeditions' started by x39, Oct 11, 2019.

1. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Well, as the title implies, this was the intent. This afternoon was cool and overcast, with the foliage in full color and leaves fluttering to the ground on a light breeze. It seemed to scream grouse hunting weather, so shirking other responsibilities (I'm really good at that), I headed at about 1400 to a patch of woods about a mile up the road from me that has produced an assortment of game over the years. I hadn't been there in a while, and what were once good covers were now overgrown, and many of the trails I was accustomed to walking were choked with alders. Things change. It started to become evident this might become more of a woods bumming jaunt than a hunt. So be it. As noted, the foliage is in full color, though somewhat muted by the dark skies...
    IMG_7113.JPG

IMG_7114.JPG

IMG_7115.JPG

I ran into another denizen of the woods. Thankfully, he didn't fire his quills... :22:, and we parted on good terms...
    IMG_7106.JPG

I decided to walk down to a point where once stood a cabin that burned many years ago, the site being overtaken by vegetation. Only the chimney stands...
    IMG_7107.JPG

There's a nice view down the bay from here...

IMG_7108.JPG

Also across the water is one of may favorite spots where I often sit and watch the day end on a rock along the shore...

IMG_7110.JPG

Nearby is the remains of an old canoe. Perhaps a future restoration project for @Bad Little Falls ...? The guy who owned the cabin and the canoe was an acquaintance of mine many years ago now...
    IMG_7109.JPG

Heading back on what has to be the dictionary definition of an old woods road...

IMG_7111.JPG

IMG_7112.JPG

Continued....

2. x39

Blog Posts:
    Thinking I might need to revisit this area come deer season. A rub from last year...
    IMG_7117.JPG

Also took a stroll down to this area I've always called the Slick Rock. At high tide a nice pool forms below the rock, perfect for a dip in the summer. One of my late dog's favorite places in the world. A lot of good memories here...

IMG_7118.JPG

My companion for the day, my trusty SKB M-100 20 ga. sxs. My dad bought me this gun when I was a kid, I think it will be fifty years this Christmas. I've carried it on many hunts, and it's put a lot of food on my table...
    IMG_7116.JPG

And speaking of food on the table, the woods yielded none today. No worries, I'm satisfied just hanging out in the woods. Thanks for coming along!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  3. Paul Caruso

Paul Caruso Being all that I am. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice outing. A bad day bird hunting is better than just about any other day you can have.

4. x39

Blog Posts:
    Isn't that the truth? As an aside, one's mind tends to wander when wandering the woods, and I got to thinking about some of my very "successful" relatives and friends who ask me if I'll ever leave this place. And the answer is yes, when I'm dead. Over thirty years ago I gave up living in the city and very likely being quite well off monetarily for living where I am. At times it's been almost overwhelmingly difficult, but in retrospect not nearly as difficult as would be for me to live in a populated area wishing I was in the woods. That would totally crush my soul.

5. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Well put.

6. Paul Caruso

Paul Caruso Being all that I am. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I hear you. I live in a crappy little town that is in the middle of nowhere and that is perfect for me. When I go to the city I am only thinking of getting back home. This is home. The pic was taken by one of my co-workers who is a much better photographer than myself.
    [​IMG]

7. rbinhood

rbinhood Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have that exact same shotgun. Bought mine back in the 1970s. Shot a lot of grouse with it and carried it many a mile.
    A few years ago I was at a gun show and had a chance for an upgrade. I bought an SKB 200, the next model up with the fancy silver receiver. Feels kind of bad now to leave the old gun in the safe when I head out to the woods.
    Ya got a fine gun there, buddy.

8. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Another crap town resident chiming in :D

Nice jaunt out! I enjoyed your stroll through the woods. I really liked the porky photo too! Thanks for sharing your wander with us.

How have the grouse reports been in your area so far?

9. x39

Blog Posts:
    I had a 200E as well, but sold it during some hard times. I'd never let the 100 go. And yes, they are nice guns, lock up like a bank vault!

10. x39

Blog Posts:
    Apparently they're doing well further north, but for another year of several in succession, the population is just not up to anywhere near what it used to be in my immediate area. Some years ago IF&W started stocking wild turkeys here, and the place is lousy with them (in fact I could have shot one today but don't have a tag). In my observation, the decline in the grouse population seems to parallel the timeline, but that seems to be a taboo subject with any of the department biologists I've spoken with or heard interviewed.

11. rbinhood

rbinhood Scout

Blog Posts:
    I am a firm believer that wild turkeys and ruffed grouse are not compatible in the same area. Turkeys scratch and destroy grouse nests and there is video proof that they will eat small grouse chicks, given the opportunity. I enjoy hunting turkeys, but I like hunting grouse more.
    Our grouse population here took a big dump last year, when it should have been peaking. Factors being blamed are West Nile Virus, lack of deep Winter snow to bury in, and cold, wet Spring. Nobody mentioned turkeys. Several grouse in the area tested positive for West Nile.

12. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Excellent adventure. Love the pics and commentary. Such a beautiful place you live. :) Thanks for allowing us to come along. :)

And also another one from Craptown USA. :) Not the best place to live, not the worst. But it sure is beautiful here too and I will never leave it.

13. x39

Blog Posts:
  14. x39

Blog Posts:
    My little town may not be much in the larger scheme of things, but there is one thing it very definitely is, and that's a community. We look out for each other. We try to be the best people we can, not because we fear being ostracized, but because we hope to live up to the examples others have set. That isn't to say we don't have our problems, but at the core, the good is overwhelmingly in the balance.

15. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    That hooking looks fresh this month. I have yet to get out into the wood to look for deer in any honest attempt. So busy building two houses and more. I am going to enjoy my time off for a week on the St Croix starting Monday. This is for sure the grandest time of the year and your pictures show it. 12 turkeys hanging around the farm, I have only seen a couple grouse and a spruce grouse just the other day but their number are clearly down.

16. wvridgerunner

wvridgerunner BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Nice outing, you have a nice area to roam around.

17. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Looks like it was still a good day, glad ya got out young fellar. joe

18. urazmusbdragn2

urazmusbdragn2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice day afield x39, our season doesn't start for another week, Have a few places to investigate but a fair drive to them is in order.

Enjoy your escapes much.

19. x39

Blog Posts:
    Thanks! When I lived down that way I had some fair success in the Pachaug State Forest. Sometimes I defaulted to squirrels, but I it wasn't often I came home empty handed. BTW, Frozen Mosins 2/ 22/ '20.

Winterhorse, TX-1948 and buckfynn like this.
  20. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Lifetime Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Pretty cool picture of the porcupine. No birds, but it always feels good to get out. Nice trip report!

Winterhorse, TX-1948 and x39 like this.
  21. RobbieinME

RobbieinME Scout

Blog Posts:
    "God created porcupines so man wouldn't starve to death in the woods"

22. x39

Blog Posts:
    I understand they were a favorite meal of the late Bill Coperthwaite.

23. Pilot

Pilot Scout

Blog Posts:
    Bird hunting is great! I have to get another dog and start doing it again. I keep making excuses. Nice pics!

Winterhorse, Timex, buckfynn and 2 others like this.
  24. Timex

Timex BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Great outing. I love fall. In my immediate area, the upland game is waterfowl and spruce grouse. Beautiful shotgun.

Winterhorse, x39 and buckfynn like this.
  25. Timex

Timex BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Watching your dog in the field is very rewarding. If you are in a good time/place to raise a dog, do it. I am a novice trainer, but Mr. Conley did his job here. Two retrieves on this day. I was so happy for him. IMG_0183.JPG

26. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    I just picked up a grouse on our dirt road, dead and just warm although stiffening up. I ate it. Something had grabbed its neck, as it was raw to the meat. otherwise it looked great. Bill C. had a receipt on his marinade he used on the prickly creatures, he said it was key part, I am sorry I did't get his receipt before his passing.

Winterhorse, x39 and buckfynn like this.
  27. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  28. x39

Blog Posts:
    Man alive, your road seems to yield all sorts of tasty treats!

Timex, buckfynn and Winterhorse like this.
  29. x39

Blog Posts:
    buckfynn likes this.
  30. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    x39 and buckfynn like this.
  31. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    buckfynn and x39 like this.
  32. bluecow

bluecow Scout

Blog Posts:
    Bird hunters, and hunters in general have done more for birds/wildlife than all the "environmentalists", PETA and bird watchers together. Check out: Rough Grouse Society, Duck Unlimited, Wild Turkey Federation. The Pittman-Robertson Act, was requested and passed by hunters. This tax and hunting/fishing licenses pay for Gov. wildlife agencies, that take care of ALL wildlife, not just game animals. Where are the hikers, leaf peepers, and what not?
    Just a suggestion, do what you can BUT don't get too stressed out with the "WE ARE KILLING THE PLANET" ( give me you $ and I can save it), The planet and birds were here long before you and me and will be here long after you and i are dead and forgotten. Stress really dose kill, lighten up and live a little. GOD BLESS YOU AND YOURS

buckfynn, werewolf won and x39 like this.
  33. x39

Blog Posts:
    Game species populations are closely managed by our Dept. of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife which regulates where, when, and if they can be hunted sustainably. The Department also monitors non-game species such as song birds, and as @bluecow mentions, there would little if any funding for that were it not for hunters. It's worth noting that the very first conservation laws such as the "Plumage Act" which stopped the market hunting of birds for their feathers were a direct result of lobbying by sportsmen in the early 1900s.

buckfynn and werewolf won like this.