BK2 (also BK3,4,5,7,9,10,21,32,39 & Others) Action/Use Thread

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by pab1, Aug 16, 2019.

1. pab1

pab1 Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Its popular to bag on the BK2 these days calling it a sharpened pry bar, boat anchor etc. My BK2s saw a lot of use years ago, resurfacing here and there, but they've mostly been ignored for a while now. I've been playing with smaller, more detail oriented knives lately.

A recent thread by @Enzo got me to pull my BK2s out again. It got me thinking about the fact that the knife I carry might not just be called on for bushcraft skills but possibly put into use for self defense also. The knife that was the subject of this thread was carried by people who truly carried their knife not only for daily use but for defense. The answer is easy, but if faced with a self defense situation would I rather have my Eldris in hand or my BK2?

Here's a link to that thread:
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/lewis-clark’s-becker-bk2.257223/

Another great thread, also created by @Enzo, is The End-All BK2 Mod Thread. It contains many great BK2 modifications.

Here's the link:
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/the-end-all-bk2-mod-thread.242650/

The "Does Anyone Still Use a BK2" thread by @tleek also got me thinking about my BK2s again.

Link:
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/does-anyone-still-use-a-bk2.244125/

I don't recall which member posted it (sorry) but someone basically stated that more people enjoy BK2s than would readily admit it. I definitely agree with that. I recently picked up two small knives that I really like. The blades are 3/32" thick which is far thinner than the 1/4" BK2 blade thickness. I broke both of them in by making some shavings which knives both did well.

Kamrat and Lagom Comparison 020.JPG Snakeskin Kamrat Curls 008.JPG

The Lewis & Clark BK2 thread above got me to drag out my BK2s again This was the same day I made shavings with the snakeskin micarta knife pictured above. I used the exact same pieces of wood (aspen) to make shavings with the BK2 as the two knives pictured above.

The BK2 made similar shavings but easily turned out much finer shavings, that would easily light with a ferro rod. I tried making finer shavings with the thinner blades but they didn't produce them as well or as easily as the BK2. It doesn't make sense but that's what I found.

BK2 Original Sheath and Shavings 012.JPG

Two years ago the same blade with different scales was demonstrating what they're capable of with birch. I think part of this is due to the fact that the large handle of the BK2 completely fills the hand, making it extremely comfortable for long term use. I believe this also makes it easier to make fine adjustments to angles than with smaller knife handles. I like the micarta scales but the G10 scales from TKC are even better.

Kel and Monty and BK2 Shavings 032.JPG

This thread is not meant to bash smaller/thinner knives. I still enjoy using a variety of smaller (usually much more expensive) knives. This thread is intended to show BK2s in use. Hopefully demonstrating that they're not only capable of "beast" use but capable of finer chores as well.

Lets see what your BK2s (and all BK knives) can do!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    Barry J, M.Hatfield, Howie and 22 others like this.
  2. Noddy

Noddy Scout

Blog Posts:
    I hope this thread doesn't end up with me buying another knife :)

3. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    I admire them. I saw a few come up on the trade forum it just wasn't the right time for me to purchase. I like them with after market micarta handles.

4. Eero

Eero Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The BK2 was my first fixed blade knife. I acquired it when I knew little to nothing about knives and was living for two years in a very rural remote area and made little to no money (the entry price was right and I had no money for any more knives). I carried it on my hip every day and used it often for every knife task imaginable. It got everything done I needed and was easy to sharpen. Here is a pic from that time (2011):

[​IMG]

5. Enzo

Enzo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Awesome thread! :dblthumb:

6. Medicine maker

Medicine maker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Swheet. I always am amazed at how many people enjoy the BK2. I always consider it in the ring with the tracker knife. People will love the BK2 but hate the tracker. Canterbury WAY back in the day said he would choose the tracker over the BK2 but he never showed himself using it.

But I especially love the fine detail many achieve using this knife. Or sometimes I see it even paired with an axe. I just love that sorta stuff. Lets see some skinning! (And dam that grind always looks so thin which always seems to look good)

7. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Good post!

I've found that besides blade thickness, grind style and bevel angle dictates what kind of feathers are produced while feathering.

8. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  9. The Warrior

The Warrior Architect of Fire

Blog Posts:
  10. pab1

Blog Posts:
    Decided to try some BK2 toothpick feathersticks this morning. Not the greatest but not too bad for a first attempt.

BK2 Toothpick Feathersticks 015.JPG

11. The Warrior

Blog Posts:
  12. The Warrior

Blog Posts:
  13. pab1

Blog Posts:
    Nice work @The Warrior!

A few years back I used a BK2 to turn this...

Intermediate Outing 2 01-26-15 017.JPG

into this...

Intermediate Outing 2 01-26-15 019.JPG

and some of this...

Intermediate Outing 2 01-26-15 021.JPG

which turned into this...

Intermediate Outing 2 01-26-15 026.JPG

allowing me to cook this...

Intermediate Outing 2 01-26-15 034.JPG

which turned out like this. Delicious. All made possible with a BK2!

Intermediate Outing 2 01-26-15 048.JPG

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    Bhart89, M.Hatfield, 62flint and 24 others like this.
  14. pab1

Blog Posts:

I see the BK2 and trackers in the same league too. I don't know how many times I've considered picking up a tracker. Just a few days ago I was watching videos/reviews looking into them again. Every time I talk myself out of it since my BK2s do everything I need done. I'll still probably pick up a tracker at some point but for now I'm happy with my BK2s. I'll try to get some pics of skinning with a BK2 this fall.

More BK2 in action pics:

While camping a couple years back I batoned a piece of aspen down and carved this spoon from a piece of it with this BK2.

Kelton Christmas & Bushclass Mentor 255.JPG

I used a Flexcut hook knife to hollow out the bowl.

Kelton Christmas & Bushclass Mentor 263.JPG

Finished spoon. Not perfect but definitely usable.

Kelton Christmas & Bushclass Mentor 269.JPG

15. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    You won't!

The more time I spend outdoors the more I want a smaller and thinner knife.

16. pab1

Blog Posts:

They might not work for you, but before you shout "you won't" to other members, consider that not everyone is working under the same conditions/situations. Smaller, thinner knives do have their appeal, but there are legitimate reasons to carry bigger knives too.

As I mentioned above, after years of gravitating to smaller/thinner blades, the Lewis & Clark BK2 thread by @Enzo got me thinking about some reasons to carry a bigger knife. You say "the more time I spend outdoors" but consider the experience of people who spent all of their time outdoors. Historically, people that relied on their knife not only for day to day tasks, but also as a means for self defense, relied on big knives. If your life (or someone else's) is on the line, a big knife makes sense.

In the first post of this thread, I posted pics of two knives I recently purchased with 3/32" thick, 3-1/4" long blades that I really like. While my BK2s had not seen use for a while, as luck would have it, the thread by @Enzo came out right after I purchased those knives. One thing to consider is that I could have purchased two BK2s for every one small knife.

I made shavings breaking in the new smaller/thinner knives. When I broke out my BK2s again the first thing I did was make some shavings. I used the same pieces of wood with the smaller knives and the BK2.

I immediately noticed how much easier it was to make not only typical shavings but very fine shavings, that will easily light with a ferro rod, with my BK2. This goes against conventional logic but I've done it with BK2s using a variety of woods repeatedly over the years.

When considering a knife, its versatility is important. Woodcraft is one consideration, but a knives self defense aspect is something to consider also. While these days we might not face the same number of threats as our ancestors, there is still a possibility that your knife might be called on to save your life or someone else's.

Look at the two smaller/thinner knives in the first post. I love this handle style and have a variety of high quality knives with similar handles. These handles are very comfortable for extended bushcraft/woodcraft use.

Picture what would happen if you had to stab an attacking bear, mountain lion, feral dog, meth head, etc. with this style of knife. As soon it met resistance, your hand would slide forward, onto the blade, causing a serious injury. The cut alone would not be the only concern. If the animal in question had rabies, or any other blood borne disease, you're now at high risk for exposure. The handle design of the BK2 reduces that risk.

In addition, a knives blade dimensions will have a significant impact on its ability to stop a threat. Using the knives from the first post as an example, the wound created by a 3/32" thick, 3/4" wide, 3-1/4" long blade, won't compare with what a 1/4" thick, 1-5/8" wide, 5-1/4" blade will do. Which blade would you rather have if a life was on the line?

Yet another consideration is what would you truly expect a knife to be capable of. I have absolute confidence in a BK2 to stand up to any possible abuse I could ever dish out to it. I can't say that about any other knife I own. I have batoned my BK2s cross grain through trees and through knotted pieces of wood that I would never dream of trying with my other knives.

Sure, a small knife paired with a hatchet makes a great combo, but when space and weight are a consideration, a big knife makes sense. If "it" hit the fan, I would set out with a BK2 with absolute confidence in its ability to handle anything I needed a knife to do. I can't say that about any other knife I own.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    M.Hatfield, Eero, buckfynn and 11 others like this.
  17. Enzo

Enzo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Agreed 100%.

Personally my main reason for using the BK2 is comfort. I find the handle really comfortable as it fills out my hand and doesn’t leave hotspots, and the 57% balance point is just perfect for me. The heft seems to assist in heavy work, and if I’m doing detailed work I usually just use my Leatherman.

I spend most of my free-time in the woods or doing woodcarving, and the BK2 is my favorite tool. The more I’ve used it, the more I appreciate having it.

M.Hatfield, Eero, buckfynn and 6 others like this.
  18. Edgewalker

Edgewalker Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've never used or held a BK2. I have had a bk7 and still own and use(sometimes) a bk9. I still run the stock scales on the bk9 and think they are very comfortable. They aren't super grippy but the design fills your hand and is secure.

I've been using an ESEE 5 recently and its basically the same blade design as the bk2, just a different handle. Which probably isn't as comfy as the becker. I definitely see the appeal.

Just for the heck of it here's what happens to the stock becker scales when you use them for a bowdrill bearing block...

1566138975233828702689.jpg

-Bobby

M.Hatfield, Eero, The Warrior and 6 others like this.
  19. pab1

Blog Posts:
    I never thought of using the bolt holes for a bearing block. From what I see I don't think I'll be trying it. :dblthumb:

Feel free to share pics of other Becker family knives in this thread.

M.Hatfield, Eero, Primordial and 4 others like this.
  20. Enzo

Enzo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My brother likes to flip his phone in the air as a form of idle fidgeting, so I made this “fidget flipper” so he can flip something less fragile.

Made out of wild cherry wood, from a tree I cut down several months ago.

Used my BK2 to rough it out and do most of the work, and my Leatherman to put the final touches on it, and finished it with sandpaper (320-800) and mineral oil.

8E3008A2-FB24-4A52-8389-670D8F8C836F.jpeg
    310F4603-6D1D-459F-A741-2729851232A0.jpeg
    5823B767-17BE-4181-8E09-0690DB73C68F.jpeg
    15F56EEB-D025-4DC7-B494-C93154CF5357.jpeg
    16E9D48D-4CB7-4407-B3B8-8845E11DC332.jpeg

21. Edgewalker

Edgewalker Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I don't blame you! It works in a pinch but leaves an ugly aftermath. I was showing off for my nephews and their friends heh heh. I've contemplated getting some aftermarket scales for it but I can be a cheapskate at times, and they still work. Cool thread by the way!

M.Hatfield, Eero, central joe and 2 others like this.
  22. Enzo

Enzo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If the scales ever give out and you are really not wanting to replace them, I’ve seen paracord handles work on BK2s. Very inexpensive alternative (probably about $0.10 worth of paracord).

23. pab1

Blog Posts:
    Nice work, I like that! Its funny how relaxing something like that can be. A few years back I carved a ball from a piece of aspen (not with a BK2 though). I didn't carve it for any purpose other than carving a ball. I found it was extremely relaxing rotating it between my hands.

Fire Kit and Lyman Holster 008.JPG

24. Enzo

Enzo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That’s impressive. Looks like a perfect sphere.

25. Edgewalker

Edgewalker Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, that is a good idea. I have wanted to try and do a cord wrap at some point.

26. Traditionalist

Traditionalist Guide

Blog Posts:
    I’m in total agreement, and you explained it much better than I would have.

I will add that my BK2 has the most comfortable knife handle of any production knife I own. While the other large BKs share the same scales, the extra bit of blade thickness makes the BK2 absolutely perfect for my hands.

The thick spine is also extremely comfortable to push with my thumb for extended periods, which is not the case with thin knives. This “sharpened crowbar” is just plain comfortable for extended use, and performs way outside what you’d guess, while excelling at what you’d
    think it would.

27. Enzo

Enzo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Everything except the grass was cut with the BK2.

C0F7F20D-62C9-4C60-94FB-DA9107D4DA91.jpeg
    108461AB-ABCA-4911-876F-6A0FD914834D.jpeg
    6D100785-1959-47BD-8358-8AB777C665C9.jpeg

28. pab1

Blog Posts:
    Nice work @Enzo! Really like the scales.

M.Hatfield, buckfynn and Enzo like this.
  29. Damian1690

Damian1690 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Glad to see you’re wearing gloves!!!

M.Hatfield, Enzo and pab1 like this.
  30. Enzo

Enzo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yeah they really save my hands

31. pab1

Blog Posts:
    Yesterday I used my BK2 along with a couple SAKs to make a bucksaw. This is my second BK2 bucksaw. I also made a quick willow fishing pole with the BK2 on this trip. I posted it under the Outings, Trips and Expeditions section of the forum.

Here's a link to the thread:
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/mortise-tenon-bucksaw-and-sami-kit-fishing.258403/

Here's a link to my first BK2 bucksaw:
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/three-days-and-two-nights-winter-outing.144682/#post-2503929

Here are the completed saws.

Bucksaw and PSK Fishing 148.JPG

Int Outing 4-Three days and Two Nights 043.JPG

32. pab1

Blog Posts:
    Back in post 19 I welcomed all Becker knives in this thread. I edited the thread title to include all of the big Becker knives.

I know there are more members that used to or occasionally still use these knives. Lets see some pics! :dblthumb:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  33. Luchtaine

Luchtaine MOA #22 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Imma have to bust out my 17

34. pab1

Blog Posts:
    Look forward to seeing some pics!

M.Hatfield and buckfynn like this.
  35. MisterHoodoo

MisterHoodoo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The 15 processing cedar in a wet environment. I’m not a black knife fan, but the Beckers are able to get it done. CD40735A-A779-4473-945A-2C4611D7F126.jpeg 6EA0861E-BA12-46BB-9C3B-AED8EE9C1FFE.jpeg
    11A49380-E4AC-4AAA-AD94-3332F2A4DD2D.jpeg 3827982B-594A-4AAF-95DC-09A08A12B745.jpeg

M.Hatfield, Jtulkas, Madwell and 4 others like this.
  36. MisterHoodoo

MisterHoodoo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Another wet day. The BK 4 helped process bark for a temporary roof, and then firewood that the roof would keep dry, along with another bark roof over the fire...just to make a cup of coffee F4E17E2C-21AA-4203-86D8-B56FF0DC9110.jpeg

3AE9F476-54B9-4CA9-83F8-FB2F4168443D.jpeg

D00816EB-FE32-42A4-976C-F32B375FBBC5.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Plainsman, M.Hatfield, Gumbi and 6 others like this.
  37. Enzo

Enzo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    CCD53DB7-B45E-4C39-9A2E-3C69C6219581.jpeg

During the winter my BK2 splits a lot of wood for kindling. Sometimes it is annoying how quickly the kindling supply gets eaten up, but with the Becker it’s never a big deal to make more.

M.Hatfield, Gumbi, Madwell and 5 others like this.
  38. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    100_1699.JPG

100_1700.JPG

100_1702.JPG

Just some simple wood prep after a rain, using a big knife.

39. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Nice work. :)

40. Creaky Bones

Creaky Bones Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The 4 and 5 in action. I have one BK5 in my kitchen knife block, another in my shed. I also have a 2. And a 7. And a couple 11’s, 14’s, 15’s and 16’s. Love me some Becker knives.

Plainsman, M.Hatfield, Eero and 5 others like this.
  41. Eero

Eero Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Since its now open to all BKs....I cut a piece of root off of a douglas fir that had fallen over with my SAK Farmer saw. Then i batoned through that with my BK9 to get the center chunk shaped square. Im new to whittling/wood carving but i plan to try and make a small spoon. I plan on using a smaller knife for the rest of the work. We will see....

80FF075C-EB10-476B-8D95-0700C0166134.jpeg

42. pab1

Blog Posts:

I should have grabbed a BK4 when they were being made.

Nice work posting the first BK knife kitchen pic @Creaky Bones! :dblthumb: It sounds like you have an impressive BK collection. Look forward to seeing pics of them!

You guys have me thinking I should have played with my BK9 a bit before trading it off. I never really gave it a chance.

I like that sheath @Eero. Did you make it?

43. Eero

Eero Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    No it’s made by Skystorm Leatherworks. Think he changed his name to Patriot Leather or something like that. It also came with an altoids tin holder with slot for an esee ah1 arrowhead and a slot for a an esee caindru or izula knife. Attaches inbetween scout carry straps. It’s a great sheath but if worn for a long time on your belt could cause some back problems lol. That’s why I took the tin holder off. I most often take off the dangler attachment and strap it to my pack. I currently don’t have a pack axe so for now the bk9 will have to do! It will chop down small trees with ease...

M.Hatfield, GoodPhotos and pab1 like this.
  44. The Warrior

Blog Posts:
  45. The Warrior

Blog Posts:
  46. The Warrior

Blog Posts:
  47. The Warrior

Blog Posts: