blade thickness of old hickory knives

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by scruffy, Mar 6, 2013.

1. scruffy

scruffy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've heard that the new old hickory knives are thinner than the old ones is this true? if it is does anyone know which models are the thickest, I'm looking primarily at the 7 inch butcher but if any of them are close 1/8 inch thick that would be my choice. thank you

2. Skab

Skab Staff Staff Member Administrator Vendor Lifetime Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Here is a comparison view with a bunch I have had or still have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The skinner is an older one, and is alot thicker then the rest. The one with the black and green handles started out as a 10 inch butcher knife, brand new and it's thicker then the 8 inch and the modified 7 inch, which has the burlap micarta handles. The other is a green river.

3. Looker

Looker Guide

Blog Posts:
    I believe that the current Old Hickorys run roughly the same thickness as the older ones. If you want the thickest modern blade you can get, you need to go with either the 10" or the 14", they are both the same thickness, and both are thicker than their shorter brethren. By my calipers, they both come in at .098", or roughly 3/32". If you don't already know, 1/8"=.125".

In my opinion, these blades are plenty thick enough to make a good bushcraft knife, if you're willing to shorten/modify them to fit your needs. Either one can be had for a song on Amazon, that's where I buy them.

I also have the 7" OH butcher that you mentioned, and after a good sharpening it became one of my favorite knives for 'crafting. Hope this answers some of your questions.

Looker

4. Thaddius Bickerton

Thaddius Bickerton Guide

Blog Posts:
    I only have a ruler handy, but the 7 inch old hickory I have is a tad over 1/16, maybe 5/64's or so, not quite 3/32

I have used and abused this knife for about 10 years and just a resharpening from time to time and it's good to go.

I find it nearly perfect for basic camp use, and for cutting up game animals and farm animals. (Add in a boneing knife of course, also old hickory)

I have some 1/8" stock and have often thought of making a similar one thicker, but so far haven't done so.

Hope this helps.

I also heard the rumor that newer ones were thinner, and lacked the forge marks. Haven't seen one to verify as the older ones are still "good as new" for my wants an needs.

5. Joe Willson

Joe Willson Guide

Blog Posts:
    Most places I've looked to buy these now say they have made the new blades thinner to help keep costs down.
    http://www.knivesplus.com/OLD-HICKORY-KNIVES.HTML
    "Editor's note: Old Hickory has changed the thickness of it's steel to keep the price low and make them even easier to sharpen. Also, the newer models will not have the traditional roll marked blades or Old Hickory stamped on the handles."

6. Looker

Looker Guide

Blog Posts:

I don't know how new that information is, I bought mine less than a year ago. Maybe that change is more recent than that? I may have to order more and see what I get.

Looker

7. Skab

Skab Staff Staff Member Administrator Vendor Lifetime Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    I don't believe that. As where I work we order them straight from Ontario Knives a case at a time, as they have a $250 min. order. And everyone of them, (7" butchers is what we use) still have the marked blades and say Old Hickory on the handles. We go thru 3 or 4 cases a year. And just got in a new one last week. So unless they are still going thru old stock, I believe this not to be 100% true. At least to the 7" butcher knives. Some other models maybe as we don't order anything but the 7" and once and while we use the 10".

I may just call and ask the rep I order them thru to check and see what Ontario says.

I do know that the Old Hickory, Cabbage knife is as the knivesplus describes, it looks just like a 7" butcher, but without the rolled marks and the writting on the scales. But, it's a different knife then the butcher.

Cabbage knife
    [​IMG]

Butcher Knife

[​IMG]

8. borego

borego Scout

Blog Posts:
    How do you get them so shiny???

9. Skab

Blog Posts:
    What are you referring to? The blade or the handle? And on which knife?

10. scruffy

scruffy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Looks like I will be going for the ten inch butcher thanks everyone for the replies.