Blue Angels, Thinderbirds, F35 Lignitng, F22 Raptor, and Red Arrows Fly over at West Point

Discussion in 'Outings, Trips & Expeditions' started by 556mp, Aug 22, 2019.

1. 556mp

556mp Bushwhacker Vendor Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    This morning Laura's father and I went out with some friends to photograph the U.S. Navy Blue Angels, U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds, the F-35 Lightning II Demo Team and the Royal Air Force Red Arrows from the United Kingdom, as well as two F22 Raptors, fly over the Hudson Valley and give a smoke show to the US Military Academy at West Point. It was a good time and I wound up with a few decent pictures.

The jets unexpectedly came from out back side, ripping overhead and banking over West Point Military Academy. In the landscape photo of the river valley you can see west point sitting high on the very right hand side of the image.

It's not so much "bushcraft" but boy was it a good time to stand around with friends, talk, enjoy the landscape and a great chance to see some incredible aircraft.

IMG_0270.jpg IMG_0276.jpg IMG_0282.jpg IMG_0289.jpg IMG_0270-2.jpg IMG_0294.jpg

wannabee, LMT66, JV3 and 36 others like this.
  2. Pharmer

Pharmer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Is that cool or what. You gotta love some military might.

If you ever find yourself in SW Ohio and have a little time treat yourself to the National museum of the Air Force it’s on Wright Patterson AFB. It’s a fantastic museum definitely worth a detour IMO. I’m lucky enough to be able to go on occasion living near within an hr drive or so. You could definitely spend an entire day there probably more if you have the time.

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

Thanks for sharing the nice pics.

3. crewhead05

crewhead05 caffeine, nicotine, knives and nature. Lifetime Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    that is awesome

556mp, Pharmer and Sigmalite like this.
  4. Sigmalite

Sigmalite Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hey MP,

My two kids and I saw them too, across the Freedom Tower on the NJ side of the Hudson. What a morning! I remember the Thunderbirds from when I was growing up in Guam and they would demo during the annual air show. Great memories! And thanks for the (better than our) pics.

556mp and Pharmer like this.
  5. Glenn Rowe

Glenn Rowe . Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I first saw the Thunderbirds perform at an airshow at Millington Naval Air Station (Memphis TN) in the early 1950s. They were flying the Republic F-84 Thunderjet.
    https://warhawkairmuseum.org/blog/republic-f-84g-thunderjet-acing-the-straight-wing-fighter-bomber/

About two years later I first saw the Blue Angels perform at the same venue. They were flying the Grumman F9F Cougar.
    https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?310194-Blue-Angels-Cougar

As a young boy who'd listened every night to the war news from Korea on his parents' radio, detailing how many MiGs had been shot down and by whom, these experiences were really special.

Thanks for stimulating these memories.

PS: To minimize any confusion that may arise, for some reason Grumman had two F9F aircraft. The first was the F9F Panther which had straight wings and wingtip tanks. The second was the F9F Cougar which had swept wings and no wingtip tanks.

The F9F Panther is the jet flown in the 1954 movie The Bridges at Toko-Ri, starring William Holden. Mickey Rooney was in it too.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    556mp, Pharmer and Sigmalite like this.
  6. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    im jelly! :)

556mp likes this.
  7. FTG-05

FTG-05 Scout

Blog Posts:
    The last time I saw the Thunderbirds, they were flying F-4 Phantoms. :(

556mp likes this.
  8. salty dog

salty dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wow! How and why did they get all of them in one place. I've never even heard of the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels flying at the same place, much less the others.

556mp likes this.