Blue-black spider wasp

Discussion in 'Flora & Fauna' started by Wyanokie, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Wyanokie

Wyanokie Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This morning I went downstairs and there was a blue-black spider wasp in my screened-in porch, which reminded me of seeing one in action a few years ago. I was sitting by the side of a stream and saw this spider wasp start flying around a large piece of shale, and flying underneath of it and out. Of course I was intrigued so I kept watching, and the next thing I knew it went full-out tarantula hawk, pulled out the mother of all wolf spiders, stung and paralyzed it, and dragged it up a rock and laid eggs in it right there next to the stream. It was one of the coolest things I've seen happen in nature with my own eyes. Here's a shot of the wasp stinging and dragging the spider out:

BBSW1.jpg

Here's a shot of the spider and wasp again. Most of us know how big a black walnut is-so there's something for scale.

BBSW2.jpg

Here's the specimen that I captured this morning. Not the best pic, but they are prettty skittish and it would not hold still.

BBSW4.jpg

Thanks for looking!

-Wyanokie

2. Jim L.

Jim L. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Are those also "mud daubers"?

JeffG, M.Hatfield and Wyanokie like this.
  3. Wyanokie

Wyanokie Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hey Jim, no, but mud daubers are pretty freaky too. Those are the ones that make the tube-shaped mud nests underneath of roofs of open structures like gazebos. They hunt spiders, sting them and bring them into the tube to be devoured alive by the larvae. In the summer months when I see those tubes I can't help but think of all of the paralyzed spiders up in the tubes being devoured alive by wasp larvae.

Here's a picture of the contents of one of the nests.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Jim L. and M.Hatfield like this.