Bob Marshall Open 2018

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by mtwarden, Dec 31, 2017.

1. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    And here we go again :4: The route for the 2018 Marshall Open was recently announced- Indian Meadows in the Scapegoat (south) as a start and Marias Pass (north) for the finish. Like previous events, the start and finish points are fixed- how you arrive is completely up to you. All legal human power means are acceptable- hiking, snowshoeing, skiing, rafting- no bikes allowed in the wilderness. Like past years will start Saturday morning of Memorial Day weekend. This is not a race.

This event will be the longest mileage event to date- what are normally in the 110-ish mile range traverses will in the 140+ mile range- likely adding at least a full additional day of travel.

I'm thinking about doing a very bare bones, all out push. Short nap (4-5 hours) vs sleeping at night (~7-8 hours). In the past I've put in ~ 16-ish hour days, I'm thinking more like 20 hour days, which means more night travel. With that strategy, more of bare bones sleep/shelter- Apex jacket combined with a Apex half bag and small tarp.

I've thought about going stoveless, but I've really enjoyed that hot, sit down evening meal on the trail. 45 minutes of complete rest and a good, high calorie, hot meal is a real morale boost and probably a good physical boost as well. Not to mention hot coffee in the morning :) I think with a longer traverse it might even be more important.

Have my clothing system pretty well dialed in, the only change I see is leaving home the mid-layer fleece and instead bringing a Patagonia Nano Air pullover instead- just a couple of ounces heavier, but more insulating value and breathes every bit as well for a on the move layer. Combined with my Apex jacket, should give me enough insulation for a few hours of shut eye.

I've threatened to not bring snowshoes, but really needed them last year- less so in years past. I'll keep an eye on the surrounding snotel sites and probably make a last minute decision on them. I have what I believe are the lightest snowshoes (MSR youth Shifts), but 2.5 lbs would be a welcome shed if doable.

Have a new pack that is a little lighter I'm going to try. Will probably carry two headlamps if I decide to push 20-ish hour days, just in case.

Training wise I've found the more snowshoeing I do prior the better-the added difficulty and stress seem to train the muscles better than just straight hiking or trail running. I've also found the more hill repeats I do, the better. Ditto on strength training, particularly squats and lunges. I'm also going to try and get at least two back to back 20-ish mile days under my belt to see how that goes.

It's always a challenging event, this year proves to be even more so.

2. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  3. T MAC

T MAC In Memoriam Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Unlike most of us Father Time just does not seem to have caught up with you! Game on! :33: :)

4. LFowler

LFowler Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is on my list to do some day for sure, but I doubt this will be the year. I'll have to push myself over the winter and see what kind of snow miles I can actually put in.
    Keep us posted on your preparations!

5. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    thanks Gents! :) I will very unlikely ever be the fastest to finish, but still hold the honor of the oldest to finish :4:

6. TheWhiteWoodsman

TheWhiteWoodsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Looking forward to it!

Edit to say: Photobucket killed all the photos in his earlier BMW Open threads :(

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  7. manitoulinbound

manitoulinbound Apple Fritter Lover Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Seems like the big trend now is "cold cooking" but I'm glad you're not going that route. Hot food and drink will definitely help in the morale department. BOL and keep us posted.

8. GoKartz

GoKartz Sharpaholic Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Following to live vicariously. This would be awesome to participate in if I could!

9. t.darrah

t.darrah Guide

Blog Posts:
    Recent high mile adventures I’ve gone either:
    10 hours on / 2 hours off / repeat or
    5 hours on / 1 hour off / repeat

One needs to enjoy moving in the dark via headlamp which I do!

10. LFowler

LFowler Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'd like to hear more about this, I've often wondered if covering ground is the goal whether walking all day and sleeping all night or frequent cat naps was better, and how total trip length affected the calculation. How long have you been able to keep that schedule up for and how does it affect you? the 5/1 thing is on my list to try but I'm not someone who falls asleep quickly or easily so I've always been hesitant.

11. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    I'll see if I can get some of the photos back up- damn Photobucket, greedy ba$tards!

12. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout -MOA #17-MYOG #71- Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    This sounds epic.. I'm watching you.

Not as creepy as it sounds, you just know how to put on a good show.. :D

13. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I like your clothing choices. the Nano-Air jacket is really interesting but it was out of my price range, until I saw the Patagonia website is clearing out a couple ugly colors in my size... :54:

http://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-nano-air-jacket/84250.html

and the Apex jacket, is that The North Face Apex Bionic jacket? that looks like a really interesting soft shell...

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-apex-bionic-2-jacket-nf0a2re7

good luck. I'll be keeping an eye on your training and cheering you on when the time comes... :dblthumb:

14. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    so can't wait for this report!!!

maybe you should do a spartan race before to get ready ;) lol!!

15. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    @ra2bach I got mine on sale too; I have a lot of Patagonia’s pieces, but have never paid retail for them- simply too spendy

Apex- is just the insulation (Climashield Apex)- the jacket is made by Nunatak- I used it on the last Open and extensively this elk season- very warm for the weight (just a little over 10 oz)

@UAHiker sure put on my the injured list before the event :4:

16. UAHiker

Blog Posts:
    ok fine. do it after the event and you've recovered! lol

17. Bobsdock

Bobsdock Still going Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Good luck brother !
    No pressure but...
    We are all counting on you !

18. icemanx722

icemanx722 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Will be looking forward to updates.

19. Hunt4lyf

Hunt4lyf Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Awesome!!! I always love the Bob threads you do!!

Guttersnipe and mtwarden like this.
  20. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    I’m going over potential sleep/shelter options pros/cons

1- I mentioned above- consists of an Apex half bag (12 oz) in combination with an Apex hooded jacket (10.5 oz); with it a 40” ccf pad (cut down z-lite) (8 oz); a 5x5 sil tarp w/ guys and 4 stakes (6.2 oz) and a polycro groundsheet (1.5 oz).

Thoughts:
    This option is the lightest I’m considering (38 oz- 2.4#), but the one that offers the least wiggle room. My thought with this setup is it would only be 4-5 hours of “sleep” and move on. This setup is yet unproven- has been much too cold to test it out properly. I’m confident we’ll have suitable weather before the end of May to give it a couple of shots. I’m also thinking that seeing this will be the longest Open to date, that super long pushes might not work????

2- this is somewhat a middle of the road option. A MLD Grace sil tarp w/ guys and stakes (14.5 oz); MLD 28 degree Apex quilt and hood (25.2 oz); a TR Xtherm pad (13.2 oz); polycro groundcloth (1.5 oz)

I’m also including the weight of a Apex hooded vest (6 oz) in this option, as I would take it as my insulating layer in lieu of the jacket (a small weight savings)

Thoughts:

This setup offers a pretty significant step up in protection (and comfort), but obviously heavier @ 60 oz 3.8 lbs. This setup is proven and am comfortable with using it.

3- this option utilizes a solo tent (31 oz); a FF Kestrel down bag 30 degree (conservative); Xtherm pad and Apex vest (6 oz).

This option is the easiest to setup, comfortable and offers the most protection from the elements. It’s also the heaviest @ 77.2 oz 4.8#. Basically double of the bare bones option.

Less fussy is a big plus when days are long and miles high, so this option is tempting.

If the forecast calls for a lot of rain, this option looks even better yet.

Anywho- the musings of a mad man :4:

21. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    I recently received a HPG Runners kit bag in nylon and think I'm going to use it on the Open- having things handy like navigation: maps, compass, reading glasses, iphone (w/ Gaiagps); tp, sunglasses, sunscreen, anti-chafe, headlamp

[​IMG]

going to try and rig something up to attach my bear spray as well

used it this weekend in conjunction with the pack I plan on using (Elemental Horizons)- worked quite nicely having the stuff I use most frequently right there

[​IMG]

22. chadstrat

chadstrat Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I believe the snowpack is above average this year. So I would definately bring the snow shoes.

Guttersnipe, mtwarden and NWPrimate like this.
  23. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    very much so at this juncture- in the 150-170% range for most of the Bob, will definitely be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of months

Guttersnipe and NWPrimate like this.
  24. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    t minus four weeks and counting :)

snowpack is the 200%-ish level, so it's a given we will be dealing with more snow than past events, ditto on record flow levels- it's the later that is more worrisome

my current route looks like right at 140 miles- this is about 25 more miles than previous events, no record breaking finishes this year

I've identified three different bail options- one about 40 miles in, one about 60 and one about 80 miles in, hopefully I don't have to execute any of them, but they are there if needed

with my new InReach it will be significantly easier coordinating a bail if necessary- still need to spend more time with the unit to get comfortable with it

I plan on bringing four suppers, four breakfasts and five lunches- which if all goes according to plan, puts me out Wednesday evening- I'll bring an additional six Clif Mojo bars (1200 calories) as backup/emergency rations

breakfasts will consist of a Erin's breakfast cookie (300 calories) and a mix of Via coffee and Via mocha (120 calories)

four Clif Mojo bars per day for on the trail snacks (200 calories/each)

lunches will be my go to sandwich- the infamous butthole sandwich- bagel, peanut butter, honey and bacon ~ 500 calories along with a Snickers bar (220 calories)

supper- eaten on the trail at roughly 6-ish pm, usually somewhere pretty to soak in the views- this is a very looked forward to break, it's also a great calorie boost to help finish out another 4-5 hours of hiking. I've got four different packitgourmet dehydrated meals, with a packet of olive oil added they are in the 600-700-ish calorie range

I should be in the 2800-3000 calorie range, clearly at a deficit, but enough caloric intake to keep me moving

I'm putting on the finishing touches for my gear list and will post it up soon

25. nomad orphan

nomad orphan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I shouldn't be too far from there then.
    Give a shout if you feel a need...

Glad to see you really taking consideration

mtwarden and rsnurkle like this.
  26. racetrack

racetrack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Glad to hear that deal came together. Good luck

27. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    Looking forward to the report, I should be camping with four boys and one other dad that same weekend if all goes to plan. It has it's own challenges, but nothing close to the Bob.

28. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    putting my nylon Runner's kit bag to use this year- will hold my navigation stuff and things I want handy (headlamp, sunglasses, sunscreen, etc)

[​IMG]

NYWanderer, reppans, MommaJ and 8 others like this.
  29. Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm a little envious right now.
    It's been a few years too many since I've been in the Bob.
    Hiking up Red, and fishing Hart lake are fond memories.
    I wish you good luck, and a safe journey as I follow you on here from the warm and windy flat lands of Texas. I sure do miss the forests and the Rockies.

30. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    Just to give you an idea of the magnitude of the snow this year- we just got word from the organizer who made a foray into the Copper Ck drainage (where the start was supposed to be) that in his estimate that we won't be able to even make it to the trailhead/campground by the start, Memorial Day weekend. He is moving the starting point to the North Fork of the Blackfoot (approx 20 miles west of the original start- Indian Meadows). This means everyone will have to revamp their routes.

He also stated "Be very afraid. Conditions will be very to exceptionally difficult", words he's never uttered in previous events.

31. Jean

Jean Guide

Blog Posts:
    Snowpack obviously effects your mobility, but does it change your sleep plan?

Energy expenditure will be higher and everything will be very wet.

Guttersnipe, rsnurkle and mtwarden like this.
  32. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    very possibly; I'm definitely going with a synthetic quilt- have yet to decide between tarp and tent- more protection and quicker setup with the tent, but takes a hit in weight

I think I'm going to start somewhat conservatively- get a good nights sleep on night one, good night being 6-7 hours. The first two days are going to be tough, there should be some decent cruising along the Sun River- the end is going to be rough as well. If there is too much snowshoeing, quite possible I won't finish.

MommaJ, NWPrimate, T MAC and 5 others like this.
  33. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
  34. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    a few of the "little" things I'll be carrying

my first aid kit- more than I normally carry, but the remoteness of this country calls for a little more- still pretty svelte at 3 oz

ace bandage, wound irrigator, small roll of gauze, 4 3x3 bandages, 2 plain jane bandages, 2 steri-strips, 2 triple antibiotics, 2 celox hemostatic blood clotter, sliver tweezers, leukotape on backing and meds- couple of aspirin (heart attack), ibuprofen, tylanol, antihistamine, anti-diarraheals

[​IMG]

my repair kit, again more than I normally carry- I'm also carrying a Leatherman Squirt to aid repairs- mostly for snowshoes

a couple of ranger bands, 2 zipties, ~ 10' of stainless wire, ~ 6' of Gorilla tape, few safety pins, large needle (housed in a sealed stirring straw) wrapped with ~ 25' of Spider Wire, 3 AAA lithiums spares for my headlamp, some little snowshoe parts, a patch for inflatable mattress, along w/ an alcohol wipe, ~ 6" of tenacious tape- 2 oz (another 2 oz for the Squirt)

[​IMG]

NYWanderer, reppans, MommaJ and 10 others like this.
  35. Soilman

Soilman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Looking forward to the after report. Good luck mtwarden!

mtwarden and Guttersnipe like this.
  36. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    thank you Sir! :)

few more of the little things

fire kit (along with small signal mirror and cordage)- full size Bic w/ shockcord to prevent pressing down; Live Fire tin, UCO storm matches/striker, tinder tabs 2 oz

[​IMG]

toiletrie kit- small bottle of Bronner’s soap, small micro fiber towel, foot balm (applied each night to help with maceration), small toothbrush, toothpaste tabs and flossing picks
    3 oz
    [​IMG]

NYWanderer, MommaJ, NWPrimate and 6 others like this.
  37. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    t minus one week :)

here's my gear list, possible last minute changes due to weather would be a Mtn Hardwear Ghost 2 tents vs the tarp/bivy adding roughly 18 oz and a heavier puffy layer adding about 6 oz

total pack weight right in the 25 lb range (food/water/fuel added)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

38. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    the shelter most likely getting the nod- MLD Grace Solo tarp

[​IMG]

reppans, UAHiker, Guttersnipe and 4 others like this.
  39. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Indigenous Skills Junkie

Blog Posts:
    You're a beast! The level of fitness required for this journey is incredible. This whole endevour sounds like a blast :D. Some fine country you're going to be trekking through too. Best of luck to you on the trail!!!

40. backlasher

backlasher Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    It's coming down to the wire! Best of luck.

41. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    the annual assembling of the butthole sandwiches :4:
    [​IMG]

packed with Snicker bars- two mini buttholes & a Snickers gives me ~ 750 calories for lunch

[​IMG]

I could barely get my food into the food bag (and barely get my food bag into my pack!)- this is without day 1's snacks/lunch/supper which goes into a rear pocket, so probably a little over 4 lbs of food

[​IMG]

pack is loaded (actually overloaded), I swapped the tarp/bivy for the tent due to weather forecast- rain and a little more rain
    the pack is 25 lbs, the kit bag 2 lbs- that's with water & food

[​IMG]

42. UAHiker

Blog Posts:
    best of luck!!! looking forward to the report after the fact and hope you get to finish it!! i'll be thinking of ya!

43. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Good luck on your adventure @mtwarden :)

And be safe! We've had too many familiar faces going away, don't need another.

44. flyfish

flyfish Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Good luck and stay safe. It ought to be a heck of an adventure this year.

45. NYWanderer

NYWanderer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Keep your hair Pilgrim!

46. Jean

Jean Guide

Blog Posts:
    Aspirin for heart attack, nice. A buddy who is a cardiac tech/emt told me to carry the goody's powdered aspirin (and pray).

You know how to cook some nice bacon.

47. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the well wishes!

Will give it my best shot, too many variables to make any predictions :)

Safety is my number one priority

UAHiker, Guttersnipe and Sargent like this.
  48. Sargent

Sargent Bushwhacker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Boy you are taking a lot of stuff on this one. Normally you have two sticks and a sheet of plastic! ;)

49. ilten

ilten Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Take care and stay safe out there. Already excited for the trip report.

50. DarrylM

DarrylM Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hope things are still going well.