Boiling Coffee in Titanium?

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by Wordsmith, Jul 17, 2017 at 12:32 PM.

1. Wordsmith

Wordsmith Tracker

Blog Posts:
    So, I am a huge coffee drinker. It's one of the best things to enjoy in the woods imo. And I've been looking to shed some weight in my kit recently and have looked at titanium pots. I am preferential to SS, I guess because it's more familiar, but I cannot find a SS pot that is the right size/shape I want. However, there are numerous titanium types of the shape I am looking for (nests with nalgenes and Klean Kanteens).
    A main factor for the pot is the ability to make good campfire coffee with. So here is my question to avid coffee drinkers who may have experience with titanium cookware:
    Does making coffee in the titanium give a strange flavor? (I have read that it does by some and doesn't by others). It is a deal breaker if it does because coffee is a must and my goal is to have a pot that will cover all my needs. Anyone have any info?

2. Ajax13

Ajax13 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Titanium is about as non-reactive as things get. I can't imagine that anything is leaching out of it.

3. Jasonacraft

Jasonacraft Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've cooking and drinking from my Ti pot for a few years now, but to be honest have never boiled coffee in it (usually use a pour over). Gimme an hour and I'll go give it a shot. I don't expect any flavor imparting based on all my other experiences and being that's the nature of Ti. But i need an afternoon cup and this sounds nice... will be back soon.

4. Wordsmith

Wordsmith Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Looking forward to the results lol.

Winterhorse likes this.
  5. Wordsmith

Wordsmith Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I think it had to do with the acidity of the coffee not mingling well with the titanium? Probably some reaction that is too scientific for me. Or it's all a hoax, idk. I just want to cross my T's before buying a Ti cup

gohammergo likes this.
  6. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I boil coffee in my TI pots, have had coffee boiling hot in my HC canteen with no issues. Also drink my coffee from TI HC canteen cup all day every day no issues with taste as far as I am concerned. I do toss a denture cleaning tab into my canteens once a month or when needed to clean out the funk. TI is pretty stable as far as non reactive goes, never had any food items that I cook react with the TI cookware. I do like the Keith cookware better than the Toaks brand, Toaks uses a different coating / finish that is not as smooth as the HC / Keith TI, don’t know if it makes a difference with taste but smoother finish is easier to clean. The snow peak TI also has a smoother finish.

7. Eric Westbrook

Eric Westbrook Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Maybe it's that Ti is not adding a flavor they get from their previous metal pot, so they think it is.

GSI & pathfinder both make a SS 25 oz cup that nest on nalgene bottles.

8. Jasonacraft

Blog Posts:
    Dark, strong, smooth. Tastes like it does from one of my larger pots to me.

Also the only time I've ever let it boil over

Attached Files:

9. XMP

XMP Mountain Man

Blog Posts:
    I'm a big fan of titanium cups and pots. But if nesting with a Nalgene is your main concern there are several stainless steel options, including as mentioned GSI and Self Reliance Outfitters.

Wordsmith and Winterhorse like this.
  10. Back Off

Back Off Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have boiled coffee in my Ti cup several times with no issues. I can not taste any difference at all. I was just warming it up again in this pick as I got distracted and it got cold on me.

19623052_141273369781804_3363042526154981376_n.jpg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 3:35 PM
  11. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    OK, just my two cents, I love my coffee as well, and I've learned a few things about brewing a decent cup of coffee and those things that alter the taste of coffee even when the same brand is used.
    *The first thing one should know about coffee is that the water should never be boiling when the coffee is added, boiling burns the essential oils in coffee and imparts a bitter taste.
    *Differences in water will change the taste of coffee from pot to pot, filtered water is best, spring water is next best, treated tap water will alter the taste depending on the chemicals used to treat the water.
    *How coffee tastes to you depends on the brand you normally use and the measure of coffee you normally use, some folks like their coffee mild, I like mine dark and strong, so when you find a brand you like and a measure that suites your taste don't vary either just because you're in the woods.
    *When you use a coffee machine regular grind is ok, but if you use a French Press, gravity filter system, or brew it in a pot cowboy style, you should use a fine grind coffee, the true coffee flavor is easier to extract from fine grind than from regular or course ground coffee.
    ***Instant coffee sucks no matter how much you pay for it.
    *I have and use several favorite bush pots, I don't use a dedicated pot just for coffee, my pots are made of Stainless Steel, Anodized Aluminum, and Titanium, all make excellent brewed coffee.
    *I use two brands and types of coffee exclusively, not because they are the best, but because they taste good to me, my usual and the one I use at home is Melitta brand fine ground coffee, I also use it to brew cowboy coffee in camp, for quick pots of coffee I sometimes use Coffee Bags, they are pre measured sealed filter paper disks filled with coffee grounds and made by Maxwell House Coffee, that you add to a pot of lightly simmering water and let stand to brew, how long depends on how strong you like your coffee, one bag makes six to eight standard cups of coffee, you can buy the bags in any super market, they come eight bags to the box and can be found in the coffee aisle of your favorite store, my pots are all about 1.1Lt. or about 5 cups, I use one bag per pot full of water and let it steep by the heat for about 10 minutes and it usually turns out perfect.
    *One last thing to remember is that standard coffee measures are base on a 6 ounce cup of coffee, here in the US we usually use 8~10 ounce cups, so make sure to add extra coffee grounds to make up the difference.
    *Fine grind coffee usually takes two teaspoons of coffee per 6 ounce cup, regular grind coffee generally calls for three teaspoons or one heaping tablespoon of grounds per 6 ounce cup, so for 6 cups I use four heaping tablespoons of coffee grounds, for 8 cups I use five heaping tablespoons full + half a tablespoon more of coffee grounds.

So to answer your pot question, IMHO it doesn't matter what pot you use as long as it's clean and made of non reactive material, with the exception of plastic such as used in some gravity filter system makers and non anodized aluminum pots, those will sometimes add a different taste to your coffee.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 3:17 PM
  12. FIELDCRAFTLTC

FIELDCRAFTLTC Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:

Been using Ti for years, never had an issue. The Heavy Cover Ti Cup/Canteen combo can't be beat (IMHO)! I also use a Snow Peak Ti Cup/pot - never an issue.

Wordsmith and Moe M. like this.
  13. R Stowe

R Stowe Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've made a lot of coffee several ways in Ti and never noticed a flavor.

14. Wordsmith

Wordsmith Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You hit all the points I was looking for my man. Thank you. A shame because Toaks is so affordable lol. But I know what you mean, the finish is almost like it's brushed on.

Eric Westbrook likes this.
  15. Wordsmith

Wordsmith Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You clearly love your coffee lol. Excellent info friend. I have drank coffee for a while, but the cowboy coffee is a recent discovery to me and my new favorite because it's so smooth and just classic. Thanks for all the info. I think I need a HC kit now...

16. Eric Westbrook

Eric Westbrook Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I didn't know that about the finishes on them....good info, cuz I've been looking at Toaks also. Snow Peak don't know how to make a lid.

17. Jasonacraft

Blog Posts:
    FWIW, i actually love the toaks finish. And once they're broke-in and blackened it don't matter anyway ;)

Wordsmith and Moe M. like this.
  18. Muleman77

Muleman77 Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I use an MSR titanium all the time. Never noticed a difference. I drink a lot of coffee too.

Wordsmith likes this.
  19. Wordsmith

Wordsmith Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The toaks 750ml seems like the perfect size nesting pot for one person. And a decent price too.

Jasonacraft likes this.
  20. mikeglock2010

mikeglock2010 Scout

Blog Posts:
  21. WisconsinEric

WisconsinEric Scout

Blog Posts:
    I know many folks trash the Snow Peak 700 lid, but I think it is a perfect design, although heavier than it needs to be. I very much like that the handle to lift the lid is offset to the side. This allows the mug/pot to be placed around a water bottle with the lid under the mug/pot and bottle. In some packs it works better to stash the lid behind the bottle, and again the offset lid lifter helps it pack more efficiently. If the lid lifter was placed in the center of the lid as most others are this would not work so well. The small vent in the lid is perfect for steaming a single serving of Jasmine rice.

I have also brewed well over 1000 pots of locally roasted hand ground coffee in my Snow Peak Titanium coffee press over the last 6+yrs. I have never noticed any kind of off taste from the Ti, but I do not boil in it.

Jasonacraft likes this.
  22. Herman30

Herman30 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have the Snow Peak french press in titanium. Never had any funny taste-experience making coffee in it.