Bond arms

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Raymond Eisele, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Raymond Eisele

Raymond Eisele Scout

Blog Posts:
    The other day contributed to a post about snakes. Mentioned that my wife had been bittened by a copperhead picking produce on the farm. Ordered her a bond snake slayer many years ago so she could carry on the farm. From day one, it was unusable. You couldn't just pull the trigger, you had to use a technique to make it go bang. Paid over $500. for a paperweight. We bought a ruger lcr to replace it. Great gun. Bond went into safe. Well, after the post, researched bond arms. Many complaints on the various forums about difficulty firing the gun. Knowing they had a problem, they improved their trigger and hammer with lighter springs. If you send them your old style defective gun with a check for $150., they will repair yur defective gun. Many peope said, if you called them, they will send you a new improved spring for free. I called them today with credit card in hand, didn't want anything for free. First lady took my informatio, but needed to speak to someone who was on the phone. They would call me right back. Waited 2 hours, called them back. Was told by another lady that they were discussing my case. Discussing my case? I want you to send me one new improved hammer spring, so I can fire a gun purchased from you for $500. And will pay you for said spring. I was told I would have to send them the gun with $150. What a wonderful company. Blood money. So ordered springs from a 1911 from brownells. Many peope on the forums took that route.

2. Mikewood

Mikewood Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like a real piece of work.
    I would sell the bond arms New in box unfired.
    I know you like that lcr. Great guns.

3. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Wow. Their customer service is lacking. Time to sell it.

JohnP

4. Raymond Eisele

Raymond Eisele Scout

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't sell it the way it is. It doesn't work. The trigger is the same as the NAA firearms, except they work. I sold NAA firearms when had my ffl. I carried a black widow and a earl. About an hour after I made the post above, Jeff from bond arms called me. Explained whole thing again to him. Said he didn'tt hear his employee tell me that i could only get a improved spring with the $150. upgrade. Nonsense. Jeff said he authorized to send me the improved spring, free of charge. Thank you Jeff. Bond arms is trying to appeal to cowboy action shooters, timed events. That is why they improved their triggers. Not good for timed events when your gun won't fire.

5. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I thought most people knew Bond has a heavier trigger because its a derringer you can carry with or without a trigger guard? When I got mine it had a heavy trigger which I expected. If they offered a lighter spring I would have guessed it was an upgrade/option.

Is it possible you just got a bad one which would just require service? And since you asked for an upgrade/option they were going to charge you? Just asking.

This is the first time I've heard of bad service from them too. Of course I had bad service from Ruger, twice with the same gun, and still wasn't made whole, but that isn't a typical experience or representative of their company. In fact I'd buy another Ruger today and still have one actually.
    Bond is hands down the most popular and quality made derringer out there. Probably ever.

6. Raymond Eisele

Raymond Eisele Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have had firearms, all of my adult life. Including many military surplus rifles including mosins. I know heavy triggers. This gun was useless. They say you have to roll your finger tip down, not back like every other gun I have ever used. Tried their technique, no good. I was a mechanic for thirity years and am now a farmer. My hands are strong, you wouldn't want me to grab you. It is not just me, check various firearm sites loaded with complaints about trigger, looking for a replacement spring. My gun was purchsed years ago. Since then, because of all the compaints, they replaced springs trigger ad hammer. You probably have the improved gun. I didnot ask for an upgade, i asked to purchase a spring. They had to discuss it. That is not how a reliable business operates.

Paulyseggs likes this.
  7. BladeScout

BladeScout Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was initially intrigued by the Bond 'Deringers.' Amongst other models, I was drawn to the models firing .410/.45.
    Then I happened upon several short barrel and longer barrelled models in a gun shop and got to handle them.
    Those suckers are big! Sort of defeats the purpose IMO. This in a firearm limited to two shots.
    Were I in the market for a firearm able to do what Bond does and more, I wouldnt look to Bond.

Winterhorse likes this.
  8. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I know exactly what you mean. Several years ago I bought a new Kel-Tec P-11 that had the strongest trigger pull I have ever encountered. I literally could not shoot it without using both index fingers to pull the trigger. I was so disappointed in that thing. I complained to a friend, he made me a low ball offer that I gladly accepted. I owned it for about one week. I haven’t looked at a Kel-Tec since. Getting a bad one really leaves a sour taste.

I hope the new spring resolves your issue.

JohnP

Winterhorse likes this.
  9. BladeScout

BladeScout Scout

Blog Posts:
    'lawyer proof' heavy triggers are (quite literally) a drag but surely thats an easy fix in most guns.

10. jstert

jstert Scout

Blog Posts:
    this bond arms fanboy recently picked up a bond arms roughneck 357/38, i already have two other regular gen2 b.a. derringers with several different barrels. i wanted a 2.5” 357/38 barrel ($160 alone) and rubber grips ($30 alone). b.a. no longer sells barrels direct to customers in most states and its distributor network is a haphazard work in progress. so add $60 and i get both with another frame by buying a $250 roughneck. great idea? well not really. b.a. advertises the roughneck to be cosmetically cheaper, less polished, but otherwise having the same functionality as the regular models. i learned otherwise and after a 45 minute tough phone negotiation got a rma to return it to the factory. issues: took the roughneck to the indoor range to compare with a regular b.a. derringer 3.5” 357/38. the roughneck was surprisingly accurate, easier to cock and grippier, but the roughneck’s barrel release lever would lock so tight after each two rounds that i had to push it on the edge of the wooden shooting table to release. the safety was sticky and took both hands to manipulate. the spent round ejector was gritty as heck. in sum, sadly contrary to b.a.’s advertising, at least my less polished roughneck doesn’t match the superbly smooth functionality of the regular b.a. models. i really enjoy my admittedly impractical b.a. derringers so far, and want to continue to do so. let’s see what happens.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    JohnP and Wasp like this.
  11. Raymond Eisele

Raymond Eisele Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have the 410/45 barrel. If the new spring works and the gun actually fires, might keep it. I really like 32 sw long. Bond sells a 327 barrel for $160., through ebay. Recentiy purchasd a 5 inch rifled 410 to 32 sw adapter on ebay for my h&r 410. It is actually very good. Cost $45.00 so might just get another adapter. Total cost $90.00 verses $160. Don't want to give bond arms any more moey.

jstert likes this.
  12. 1911srule

1911srule Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like stuff over engineered until I picked one of those up. Too heavy for pocket carry imho. Now hearing this I'd not ever buy one.

13. jstert

jstert Scout

Blog Posts:
    so my new b.a. roughneck came back from a warranty service trip to the texas mothership. in a word, the roughneck is a fail. despite some polishing and a test fire, plus more tool marks, the barrel release lever works one handed just 1-2 times then freezes, then needs lots of two handed effort to free up. other b.a. barrels can’t be properly seated into the roughneck. the roughneck barrel’s spent cartridge release lever is a bit less gritty than before, but still unfun.

the business model of bond arms was turning around cheap poorly derringers and elevating them with more expensive, top notch pieces. gordon bond’s gamble worked, i.e. if you want a robust, forever, albeit pricey, derringer then b.a. is the reliable one and only. if bond had initially come out with a $250 roughneck, and not a $450+ fully polished and superbly fitted model, the company would have failed, sorry to say.

now i have a nice pair of fully functional short rubber grips, a semi functional barrel and an attention getting doorstop that cost $320 (original price plus shipping, ffl fees, factory return). arrgh.

if you want a b.a. derringer, be happy and get the original, gen2, used are good values under $350.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  14. Raymond Eisele

Raymond Eisele Scout

Blog Posts:
    As a follow up, Jeff from bond arms, never sent me the spring. That was on august 9th. Today is september 8th. I purchased a wolf spring, from brownell for a 1911. Cost me $6.00 with shopping. So bond arms couldn't send me a $6.00 spring to repair a defective gun, they sold me for $500.00 years ago. A spring I offered to pay for. Now, the gun actually works.

Mr. Tettnanger, jstert and Paulyseggs like this.
  15. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So glad I went the lcr route,,,,,5 is better than 2 and nary a hiccup yet with the Ruger.......was not interested in multiple barrels as well......38/357 suits me just fine.....

Hope your Bond woes work better with the new spring.....

Raymond Eisele and Paulyseggs like this.
  16. Invictvs138

Invictvs138 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Sheesh - what a story & glad you were able to make the repair with no help from BA...

However I’d rather have a light weight Ruger LCR with 5 snake-shot loads on the hip than one heavy, not 100% reliable derringer ...

Raymond Eisele likes this.
  17. Redbearcat7

Redbearcat7 Scout

Blog Posts:
    All bond arms have about a twenty pound trigger pull. I don’t think they are big enough to make a good door stop.
    Looked at their line up of guns this past spring a the nra meeting. It’s a derringer, but takes two hands to make it go boom.

18. jstert

jstert Scout

Blog Posts:
    the polished gen2 (skeletonized trigger and wider hammer spur) bond arms derringer’s trigger is a one-handed operation. although it is a single action handgun, the b.a.’s trigger pull feels like a double action revolver, stiff but quite manageable with practice with one hand. b.a. derringers are indeed expensive niche pieces, probably the only extravagant acquisition later in my life, if truth be told. i have enjoyed them and found their swappable barrels to be reassuring while traveling alot during the obama ammo drought. all that said, the roughneck is a huge disappointment. if the roughneck is meant to attract new customers to b.a. with its lower price its dismal performance could end up poisoning the brand. this experience is not what i would expect from bond arms and sure as heck dulls any attraction for them.

Redbearcat7 and Wasp like this.
  19. trentu

trentu Guide

Blog Posts:
    I picked one up for my wife as well. We both couldn't hardly pull the trigger. I got her a LB Davies and she could shoot it quite well. I couldn't sell it but did trade it.

20. crewhead05

crewhead05 caffeine, nicotine, knives and nature. Lifetime Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I had one of the originals, didnt like it much mostly due to the trigger. Sold it several years ago. Recently i bought the new rowdy. Trigger is infinitely better and overall i love the little slugger.

JohnP likes this.