Bored Apocalyptic Harbor Freight Hypothetical

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by CharClothed, Apr 16, 2018 at 5:22 AM.

1. CharClothed

CharClothed Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So been watching zombie movies at 5am which brings a Hypothetical. Zombie apocalypse happened and it's been a couple years. You spot a Harbor Freight and it's been untouched for the most part. What things do you grab (which is on the website currently) in order to help rebuild with. Leather working, metal working, etc. What things, no limit, do you grab in order to help build or make anything you need?

2. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    Take it all with as many trips as needed...Priority given to metal fabrication needs. Tools are a humans number one material asset imho.

* We watched the Walking Dead last night too lol...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 6:22 AM
  3. Leshy_apprentice

Leshy_apprentice Scout

Blog Posts:
    Whatever I can fit I guess. But I'd think about what raw materials I'd have access to in the future. Will I have access to abandonded prior structures and be able to scavenge salvage material like metal, glass, and wood? What good are power tools if there won't be access to electricity? What good is a generator if the gasoline to run it is no longer manufactured? Is society coming back from this hypothetical apocalypse, and what trajectory is society going to rebuild along?

I'd focus on grabbing manual tools, particularly ones that would aid my advantage in harvesting and building with timber. Axes, winches, straps and chains, hand crank auger bits, clamps, glues, wood screws, wood chisels, sand paper, lag screws, saw blades, sand paper, etc.

Various useful chemical products would also be good to grab now as the factories presumably will not be continuing to produce the supply.

Metal fab would also be a great resource to build upon, but like I mentioned, manual over power tools. There wouldn't be electricity for an electric welder, and how are you going to get gas welding fuel if the infrastructure has collapsed and you're holed up away from distribution centers and lacking gasoline to transport yourself and your resources back to home base? Fabbing a small forge at home for working salvage metal might be more practical, and you can make your own charcoal from wood to fuel it. Maybe I'm thinking too much about your hypothetical....

And having shopped at Harbor freight before, I'd grab several extra of each item because they are all likely to break upon the first use! Haha....

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018 at 5:57 AM
  4. Mikewood

Mikewood Guide

Blog Posts:
    Solar panels. Rechargeable batteries. I have most of what I need from better sources.

5. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Take as much as you can. Special attention to: Ropes and block and tackle, hand tools, solar and batteries, fuel sources, and tarps. Lower priority: Bench tools, gasoline powered items, and electrically powered stuff (but still take them if you have the ability.)

6. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Tarps, blankets and cutting tools. Also one of the garden wagons to carry stuff. joe

7. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Figure I'll use zombie skin for sheaths and holsters, good retention and what not.
    That being said, might be worth considering setting up shop in the Harbor Freight and selling to the survivors.
    By the time the stock runs out I'll have squirrelled away everything I want plus made some profit and connections while I was there.

8. seasonofthewoods

seasonofthewoods Lost In the Woods Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Would you offer membership rewards......

9. dmangler

dmangler Scout

Blog Posts:
    Twinkies, then use them as post apocalyptic currency.

central joe and crewhead05 like this.
  10. rustystove2017

rustystove2017 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I really want one of those metal HD garden wagons.....load it chock full o' chinese steel.

central joe likes this.
  11. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    During said apocalyptic event Is not the time to do scavenging. Any thing you invest an interest in others will fallow even though they have no skill in operation. Look how the are now .
    Secondly, how are you going to get there and not be over come ,especially if you have the means to be mobile.?
    It is my contention that hardware stores will be long gone out of business as will many other resources we usually depend on.
    The only way to insure they remain in business is that they have a reason ,clientele.
    And if you can't insure that, then the only other alternative is to stock up while you can on the things your going to need, along with the information and skills to know what your doing and the possibilities those tools represent, long before things happen .
    Books might be outmoded now but post EMP become priceless . I have a library of reference manuals.
    Even though many of the cars and machines have been updated, basic mechanical values still exist .
    I have How To books dating back to the 1930s and older .
    When I can I buy welding rod and wire ,and gas and other valuable machine tools as well ,because it is what I do any way. (build and repair things )
    It's not just having the tools but the consumables that the tools need to function, sand paper , saw blades and chain and sharpeners and files and on an on. So you got a generator and a table saw and carbide tipped saw blades, can you sharpen it ?
    Chain saw is a valuable tool , but with out experience can you sharpen the chain or mix the gas properly, or handle the saw properly for that matter ? What of 2 man saws for that matter , if you have no training and practice handling a tool ,an emergency situation will be frustrating and breed accidents more than success.
    I've had plenty of accidents my self being impatient and unskilled . nothing modern medicine wasn't able to assist in repair ,but post SHTF modern medicine is not going to be available .
    Are you waiting for an EMP before you build a faraday cage ?

central joe likes this.
  12. injun51

injun51 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't stop until the store was empty. In that scenario, everything could potentially be of use, eventually.

central joe and Unistat76 like this.
  13. City Bushcrafter

City Bushcrafter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would keep driving past harbour freight and stop somewhere else and get quality tools. :4:

They do make awesome tool cabinets (US General), and I like the rubber gloves. The titanium drill bits are good too, and some impact sockets. Besides that, IMO, most everything else is cheap!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 9:20 PM
  14. Polecat

Polecat Polecat in a Poke Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I hit a zombie with a Harbor Freight wrench once. The wrench broke.

15. Luchtaine

Luchtaine Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Wouldn’t skinning zombies expose you to zombie infection? I would not risk it.

PERRO, central joe and Merk3030 like this.
  16. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My desire for a sheath with perfect retention knows no bounds, my friend.
    They say when you treat zombie skin with beeswax and put it in the freezer it becomes just like kydex.

17. nomad orphan

nomad orphan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Gosh... I'd take all the bits and discs and set screws and blades and things. Open a store...

Survival wise?

Nothing I couldn't live without.

Harbor freight stuff has never worked well for me.

I can see hooking a feww brake frogs to a honda 10hp...
    Even chain.

DarrylM and central joe like this.
  18. rmorgan736

rmorgan736 Scout

Blog Posts:
    knife..blancket and fire i would not carry much as i will want to stay on the move until i find a safe spot.....then i would go about long term goals

central joe likes this.
  19. Leshy_apprentice

Leshy_apprentice Scout

Blog Posts:
    @Polecat hit the nail on the head with that post! And had he hit the nail on the head with a Harbor Freight hammer, the hammer would have broke.

superpaco and central joe like this.
  20. VtBlackDog

VtBlackDog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would rather scavenge a LL Bean, then I could bring the stuff back for a refund after the apocalypse is over

superpaco likes this.
  21. Eagle Scout

Eagle Scout Scout

Blog Posts: