Bowhunting Life

Discussion in 'Archery' started by Sarge62, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Sarge62

Sarge62 Tracker

Started in 1988 with old Compounds and in 1995 bought a Quillian Patriot Recurve and the same year killed Colorado Elk and the best buck in Arkansas to date with a Bow.

All these years and blood trails later, still pulling the string back and knowing that Bowhunting got me through 26 years of LE on my 15 day yearly vacation each year.

Bowhunting, "King of Sports".

cek, Primordial, Fiddlehead and 9 others like this.
  2. Sarge62

Sarge62 Tracker

Best Bow?

3. Wil

Wil Scout

I had to hang up my bows because of rotator cuff problems years ago. I used to be pretty good with them. My first bow was a Bear Grizzly back in the 70's,then to a Browning two wheel compound ,then from there to Martins ,and Mathews and even some stick bows and self bows for hunting and 3D. They are all collecting dust now. I now have a Ten Point crossbow, but it just ain't the same kind of fun. I envy my uncle who is 87 years old and still hunts with bow from a tree stand for turkey and deer. My meat getter now is my JM model Marlin 45/70 with home grown lead cast bullets.

Sarge62 likes this.
  4. Sarge62

Sarge62 Tracker

More power to you Brother and prayer for many more years in the woods for you!

5. Wil

Wil Scout

Thank you. I only missed one year and that was year before last because of back surgery so couldn't even walk let alone bend over to field dress a deer. At 72 , it's hard enough as it is.lol

Sarge62 likes this.
  6. JEB

JEB Guide

Good post. I have been shooting a bow for 60 years. It is what we done as kids growing up. Dad had an archery shop and as a teenager I worked there until I graduated and went into the Marines. Dad closed the store while I was gone but when I got home I stuck with it and still hunt to this day. I needed that greater challenge so I made a self bow and learned how to knap stone points. I have been hunting with the equipment for the past 5 years. Like you I was a LEO and looked forward to my two weeks during the fall to as we used to say, forget about it. If you are still working, be safe and if not and you are retired, have fun.

Sarge62 likes this.
  7. Peck Price

Peck Price Tracker

Hunting with a bow is very special to me too. I dabbled in the late 80’s as a teenager. Had a lot of fun but didn’t have any luck. My divorce started in 99 and about this time the deer numbers had really started increasing in SE KY. Bow hunting became my therapy. My brother and I hunted every chance we had. Killed lots of deer, went on several great trips and kept my mind right. I am knocking on 50’s door and still love to bow hunt. It is much more laid back and the sense of urgency isn’t there like hunting with a rifle(which I also do). Our bow season is over 5 months long and our rifle season is about 2 weeks. Thanks for the post.

Sarge62 likes this.
  8. Sarge62

Sarge62 Tracker

Hey, Guys in no way will you hear me bash anyone on their choice of hunting tools. I just like the Recurve for myself. Shalom

Fiddlehead likes this.
  9. Sarge62

Sarge62 Tracker

Prepping for Elk.

Park Swan likes this.
  10. Park Swan

Park Swan Maker Vendor

Thank you for the wisdom! You have a picture of your Arkansas monster?

11. Ken Delano

Ken Delano Tracker

I'm with youy sarge. I started with a Browning Nomad recurve back in the early 70s, did the compound thing for a while but it got too complicated and mechanized to suit me, so I went back to a recurve in 1990, then the next year to a longbow. I've shot nothing but Hill-style longbows now for going on 30 years. I've had to drop some poundage over the years - I used to shoot 75-80# longbows, now I'm at about 57-58# but it's plenty. I put my arrows together myself, wood shafts, real turkey feathers. Retaining the ability to shoot my bow keeps me motivated to stay in shape . I've got friends who've had to give up bowhunting due to shoulder problems (or go to a crossbow, which interests me not at all), but so far I can still do it . I could drop some more #s if need be and still be effective . I hope to be able to keep it up for some more years . To me, there's just nothing else like it . Brother's of the Bow .

longcruise likes this.