1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Boy Scout Pocket Survival Kit - Pre Altoid Tin

Discussion in 'Self-made Gear' started by Kenneth, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Kenneth

Kenneth Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I was looking through my Boy Scout Fieldbook that is copyrighted 1967 and this printing is 1973.

This page is from the chapter on making your own gear and this is about making a pocket survival kit out of a plastic box and definitely pre Altoid.

Did anyone ever make one of these?

GOD Bless you and your family

Kenneth

20171011_183557.jpg

Close up of the picture
    20171011_183622.jpg

2. brionic

brionic Blissful simpleton Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yes, we made these - mid 70s up until the early 80s when branded kits and speciality gear caught on.

We used to use old band aid tins, old plastic tackle boxes, snake bite kits, and the old squeezable coin purses. It just depended on the size of the kit and the type of trip.

3. crewhead05

crewhead05 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not that it matters but according to their history altoid tins have been in production since the 1920s

https://www.leaf.tv/articles/the-history-of-altoids/

Lassmanac, DavidJAFO, Dravous and 8 others like this.
  4. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I never made one of those, but when I was a kid we had Sucrets throat/cough lozenges. I used to find all kinds of uses for those tins. That would have been back in the time period you mentioned. I don't know if they make them anymore or are packaged the same way. The only plastic cases I remember were for carrying cigarettes. They would have worked well for a kit, too. Although more vertical.

5. T MAC

T MAC Old Squid Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Back in the 60's while being a young Scout I had a kit made from a plastic cigarette case that my Dad gave to me; it had a place in the side to hold a book of matches and was waterproof. Pretty good for that time or so I thought!

6. Spork

Spork Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yup...Band-aid tins...this is probably not the exact tin I used, but it is identical. Found it in an old box of toys years later. Contents were probably similar to the list above...I do remember the Hershey's Tropical chocolate bar and Charms candy that I had in it. I had a copy of a Marbles matchsafe...which might not have been the best...but it had good Ohio Blue Tips in it. There was probably a book of paper matches in my tin...they were free everywhere and easy for a kid to get a hold of.

[​IMG]

7. Cheapeats

Cheapeats Guide

Blog Posts:
    Bandaid tins were my go too and they fit in the M14 ammo pouch my Uncle brought home from the marines

8. hooliganwithheart

hooliganwithheart Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice article that, thanks....much appreciated :dblthumb:

@OP > I used old tobacco tins (golden virginia & old hoborn) :D

I also remember the old band aid tins too ;)

9. central joe

central joe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Back in the 60's Doan's Pills can in round tins much like a match case. 1001 uses for them. Fishing kits, matches and all manner of treasure. Also Carter's little liver pills came in clear round glass tubes, sewing kits, toothpicks and bugs. joe

10. Spork

Blog Posts:
    Metal aspirin tins and fuse tins with sliding lids were useful for hooks and split shot.

11. Wasp

Wasp Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

I like how the box says 31, like 30 wasn't enough. :)

Is that your picture?

12. Spork

Blog Posts:
    Yes..along with the Buck 110 given to me by my father in 1968

13. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    This whole thread has been very cool...and take me back.....

On those list with lists I see bouillon cubes, and ration bars....
    I carried hard candy, hershey bars (left over Halloween candy.)... and gum.
    Don't see that on lists these days....just a lot of fire stuff....

BTW
    I made the same kit form a cigarette box......I think the idea was from a Field and Steam magazine tips section....???
    Same magazine had an article on the easy way to dress a deer...so I cut it out folded it and carried it till it was so bloody I could read it......

I don't carry that kit on me any more, have a bigger sholder bag.... but is still in the truck....after I had expanded it later on...ended up being this:
    Still has the cigarette box you are talking about....LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I recall the early kits....and recall I could not afford one, so made my own.
    Never did like bandaid boxes ot Altoids type tins...Not water proof.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  14. Kenneth

Kenneth Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yep I have a Excedrin tin my tackle box with hooks in it.

GOD Bless you and your families

Kenneth

20171012_075241.jpg

20171012_075227.jpg

15. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Seems like a lot of people think the same way...LOL.
    Even today I carry an aspirin tin in my shirt pocket...4 Tums, 2 aspirin, 2 HBP meds...
    THis is a cut down version if my jeans pocket matchbox med holder.....and stuff.

Been wearing sweats a lot lately for the gym....so shirt pockets for wallet, meds and phone....

Was looking for one of those tin....don't sell them any more...but did find and assortment on ebay...for cheap...cost more to ship them.

[​IMG]

Got the box full of Altoids tins at a yard sale for free....

16. wdstephens

wdstephens Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I was a teenager in the 1980s. All the library books on the outdoors were vintage as my small town library had limited resources. They all had chapters on making your own gear. And boy did I. It was one part fun and one part no money. I was a scout and in the Civil Air Patrol. My CAP unit went to a training exercise near Albany Georgia and in I walk with all my home made kit. The kids from metro Atlanta made fun of me. I was about 13 and they wounded my feelings bad. It was only after I was grown that I rediscovered the enjoyment of making home made gear. That is part of the appeal of bushcrafting over just buying what you need. One of the kits I made and carried back then was a soap container survival kit inspired by this very book. You can't find Hershey "tropical" bars any more. They had a longer shelf life than normal candy. I had a first aid kit in another soap container. I plan on making two more of these kits for use today except I am going to use those plastic containers with the locking tabs and the rubber seal. Not sure what I'll use for emergency food. Any suggestions? Good thread!

17. buzzbox

buzzbox Scout

Blog Posts:
    I made up several of these using Bandage tins. "Be prepared!"

18. will62

will62 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I had a small first aid kit in a Sucrets container and some fishing gear and fire starting materials in a Prince Albert tin as a kid. I had the plastic cigarette case with some survival gear while in the military.

The old fuse boxes for the fuses with metal ends on a glass tube were useful as well since they would hold 5 .22lr rounds. An older neighbor had a section of the stock of an old .22 single shot rifle cut to hold 2 of these boxes so that he was never without ammo. IIRC he used a thin piece of sheet metal as a lid to keep them secured in the stock.

19. wdstephens

wdstephens Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I did a google search for tropical bars. They haven't been made since 1991. As I recall they tasted sort of like a bar of hot chocolate powder. If that makes sense. I'll have to give some thought to a good replacement. Something not affected by heat or cold and with an extended shelf life. There is another mainstay of my soap container kit that I won't be including in my modern kit. Change for a payphone. You would find help long before you would a payphone.

20. Kenneth

Kenneth Tracker

Blog Posts:
    [QUOTE="wdstephens, post: 3528565, member: 64039"Not sure what I'll use for emergency food. Any suggestions? Good thread![/QUOTE]

How about the mainstay, datrex and the new UST bars. I saw recently a 1000 calorie mainstay ration bar it is smaller but I dont know how much size difference than say a 1200 calorie 1 day bar.

I have seen the recipe online for the old ration D bars but I think the modern ration bars are more nutritious for you.

GOD Bless you and your families

Kenneth

21. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    LOL....seen that huh?.....Nice catch....
    Yeah, that kit has been around a long time....
    Gum and coffee single wasn't very good anymore, either.

FIELDCRAFTLTC and central joe like this.
  22. Spork

Blog Posts:
    I’m sure the “food” in a classic pocket survival kit was more a comfort item that anything else...one ounce of tropical chocolate probably didn’t provide many calories. I think I’d keep the classics of gum and hard candy, tea and/or coffee (with a couple packets of sugar) for long shelf life

If i wanted to extend the menu, a small energy or protein bar or two, energy gel cubes and possibly individually wrapped sesame seed candy.

23. Ron

Ron Guide

Blog Posts:
    Love this thread!
    Got info in it and a lot of nostalgia.

FIELDCRAFTLTC, T MAC and central joe like this.
  24. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Come to think about it....most kits posted up do not contain any thing to eat or drink.
    I know they are mostly gear...so other stuff may be in a separate place.
    Or maybe just no one list those....?

I like lemon drops...suck on one helps dry mouth and cuts back of coughing (hunting No No)
    Also like Smarties ...kinda a "not so sour" Sweet Tarts......Kinda just sugar.
    Actually found some from years past...were kinda crumbly....but tasted fine.

https://www.spanglercandy.com/candy...twUQuS4ZoQrXNwbSxrG8jgZNeDk4ejzBoCmWsQAvD_BwE

central joe and Spork like this.
  25. Spork

Blog Posts:
    You could build a Brew Kit and stock the food supplies there...might help with keeping the edibles rotating.

hunter63 and central joe like this.
  26. central joe

central joe Guide

Blog Posts:
    I forgot about the Prince Albert tins, and we also used the cloth bags cigarette tobacco came in for storing our gear, and also leather marbles bags. How in the world did we ever survive without plastic boxes? joe

27. Spork

Blog Posts:
    Metal 35mm film cans

I carried one in my cookset to light my stove. I'd refill it with whatever matches I had on hand so it ended up to be a mix of penny matches, cut down strike anywheres and a few storm matches here and there...

[​IMG]

I found a commercial fire kit on ebay a while back packed in a film can

[​IMG]

Kenneth, FIELDCRAFTLTC, T MAC and 2 others like this.
  28. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    When you get older you may have 1000's of med bottles...LOl..seem that get emptied out quick.
    I do use them quite a bit. .....

These have expandable towels/TP about 7 per bottle.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  29. will62

will62 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I remember seeing in a magazine article years ago about making a match safe out of a length of garden hose and two corks.

Metal film cans and metal cigar rubes saw quite a bit of use for keeping your supplies dry.

30. Wasp

Wasp Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ahhh, but there may be a coke/vending machine. Or an air machine if you have a flat. I have a couple dollars in quarters in every bag.

central joe and will62 like this.
  31. baylis

baylis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Bandaid tins were engaged here for PSKs

won't say how long ago that was!

nice trip back in time, this thread is, but the best ideas never age, as has been proven here on bcusa repeatedly

32. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    I use my empty prescription bottles for tinder storage, mainly Vaseline cotton balls, fatwood splinters & shavings, dry cotton, etc. I keep a little lamp oil in one with a twist on cap, hasn't leaked yet.

hunter63, central joe and will62 like this.
  33. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I agree...I carry change as well.....just more that 4 quarters...Feel naked without a few bucks.
    These were added after a long walk ...(not saying lost...but long walk) while deer hunting.

As I was carrying a rifle, no one would stop and give me a ride as I didn't have a "case" for it, even though it was unloaded.
    Walked to a gas station that was closed....had payphone....no change....so started walking again...
    Was about 9:00 PM at that time.

Finally a guy stopped by and gave me a ride back to the camp road...about 11;00 PM about the time as the guys were organizing a SAR...LOL.

Another addition was a "case" made from one leg of a pair of long johns.....carried in that game pouch in my coat.
    Like anything else...some of those things you need at one time...feel you still need to carry them...but never have to use them.
    Kinda like buying a snowplow and it doesn't snow.

BTW did use that case (long john leg) for a dry sock....inside my plastic bread bag, from lunch...in my wet boot....
    Also as a towel,... cut a few hunks off for TP, .....and even a head/ear covering ....over the years.....Think loooong stocking hat.

Never had to use it as a gun case.

These days I carry a cheapo gun case folds into the size of a pack of smokes.... size....that they give you at gun shows when you but a long gun.

FIELDCRAFTLTC and central joe like this.
  34. TexasPrimitive

TexasPrimitive Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I remember my grandmother using that for a bobby pin case. The same one for at least 20 years...

PAcanis and central joe like this.
  35. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, those were handy tins. I remember the aspirin ones as well, but the Sucrets was just the right size. Although at work I kept my drill bits in the metal Band-Aid container.

36. happywanderer

happywanderer Scout

Blog Posts:
    20171015_164711.jpg
    Just stumbled across this tin in my supplies. Think I found it in my mom's sewing supplies in some past era. Never did put it to use, but that was the idea.

hunter63 and PAcanis like this.
  37. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, wasn't it great when things came in containers that you actually kept and re-purposed?

38. Kenneth

Kenneth Tracker

Blog Posts:

Do you have the link to ebay for this?

39. Spork

Blog Posts:
    That's an old kit, probably late '70s when metal film cans were still kind of common. It was a one-of auction.

40. zackerty

zackerty Tracker

Blog Posts: