Brass Spark-Lite fire starter

Discussion in '5col Survival Supply' started by J. Pierce, Jan 13, 2018.

1. J. Pierce

J. Pierce Athletic Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I ordered a brass Spark-Lite emergency fire starter and some other goodies from 5col a couple weeks ago, I finally took time to take a couple photos this morning.

I didn't order it for emergencies. I ordered it for lighting my camp stove or heater when I'm ice fishing. A Bic lighter is ok but I have to keep it in an inside pocket when its really cold out, which is not convenient to dig out. My Zippo is always dried out. And good matches don't really exist anymore.

The Spark-Lite throws a good shower of sparks that easily lights my stove.
    It also serves at a Bic backup.
    And it's a good one hand option if it was ever needed.

It is a little small to hang onto with cold hands.
    So I added a bit of a lanyard loop.
    I also had ordered some #36 braided bank line. So I made a little loop of it and secured it with a scrap of latex tubing.
    I can still access the screw on the bottom to install the included replacement flint.
    The fire starter pad things that came with it also catches a spark and ignite very easily.

Thanks @andy.t!

IMG_20180113_083655310.jpg
    IMG_20180113_083713511.jpg

2. brokenotbroken

brokenotbroken Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Nice. I have the same stove as well as a SVEA 123 and usually carry a zippo to light them. But, as you say, the zippo is always dried out. This looks like a great option. Sure, I could carry a Bic but I get more pleasure out of a nice piece of brass hardware than a cheap disposable lighter.

andy.t, J. Pierce and central joe like this.
  3. Zunga

Zunga Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I had a butane brass fireplace lighter. 18 inch stick. Top like yours only smaller. The flints it used were half the diameter of a Zippo flint. I was disappointed. Then discovered they are the same size as those in a mini bic. The full size bic is the same size as a Zippo. The big bic ones are long. I pinch them in wire cutters then put my hand inside a bucket. It catches the bits when they go flying off. Get your buddies to save their dead lighters for ya!
    Cheers
    Jim

4. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I like it young fellar, thanks for the post. joe

5. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, @J. Pierce ! I love the brass Spark-Lite. They're made up in Pennsylvania. Originally there was only the plastic version. There was some demand for metal Spark-Lites, so they came out with this one and two others. We sold several to a Greek special forces instructor, who said the plastic Spark-Lites get a little too bendy in the Mediterranean summer heat.

The plastic version is one of the most commonly issued fire starters in pilot survival kits. Last summer I got my hands on an Air Warrior PSGC and made a pretty extensive thread about it here. That kit included both the Spark-Lite and a Doan's style magnesium bar like this one.

6. J. Pierce

J. Pierce Athletic Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Man that's a heavy duty, gear packed vest.
    Probably a good thing I was never in the military, I'm too wimpy to carry the load.

7. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Those vests seem to work well for air crew members, but part of that is the need for a rescue harness. I've read that Air Force pilots may stop wearing the vests and just rely on pockets and their ejection seat kits. For you and me, a regular pack is the way to go.

I sent the vest to @Ghostrider247 to do a video about. If you're interested, keep an eye on his Youtube channel for that: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcQ9q0KqG5BWx-jlboaoO0A

PERRO and J. Pierce like this.