Breakfast with Badger!

Discussion in 'Badger Claw Leatherworks' started by LostViking, May 14, 2016.

1. LostViking

LostViking Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Well, I Received two packages in the mail this week.

Both contained items made from brass. In case you haven't heard, I like brass. My dad was a boatman, so it was instilled in me at an early age. That brass rocks!

Both had me giddy with anticipation. I have wanted both for over forty years. Forty years is a long time to want something. One was reasonably cheap, the other was relatively expensive.

I'm still not sure which one I like better. Both are keepers and both will probably outlast me.

This morning was nice. So I thought it would be a good idea to got out and play. First wood fired breakfast of the season. Long overdue.

The first thing you need to have for a wood fired breakfast, is a wood fire. So, I piled some sticks on top of some split wood, and added the twine.
    [​IMG]

To that, I added some highly flammable swamp fuzz. I gathered this stuff last fall. It sat around outside In a plastic bag all winter. With me pulling some as I needed it. This stuff goes up fast, but it doesn't last long. Basically, I just use it to catch the twine.
    [​IMG]

You will notice in this shot, there is a feather stick buried down in the pile. More on that in a few minutes. No birch bark for a change, because around here things have been a little dry.
    [​IMG]

So, now on to lighting it. How should I do this? Ferro Rod? Flint and Steel? Bow Drill? No folks, not this morning. I'm hungry and don't feel like messin' with the Bushy Methods.

Enter brass object number one. The Badger Claw Zippo.
    [​IMG]

I have wanted a Zippo since I was kid. The smell, the sounds they make, the rugged cool factor. But I never smoked. So I never bothered. For years I have been using those cheap Bic lighters, or their even cheaper knock-offs. I hate them. Especially the new nanny state ones with all the safety features. You know the ones that basically prevent you from getting the thing lit. Hate 'em.

The Badger Zippo is a wonder to behold! That sound when you open it just says this thing is cool. Then you run your finger over that wheel. The spark hits the wick, then there is that smell. It smells like, Victory. Courtesy of Colonel Kilgore.
    url=https://lv1.smugmug.com/Bushcraft-2016/n-9TWPQB/i-QWb2L92/A][​IMG][/url]

Thunderwood and mainewoods like this.
  2. LostViking

Blog Posts:
    Part Two,

Once the fire got going I added some more wood, the grill, and some bacon.
    [​IMG]

We've all seen bacon frying on the fire before. I added some English muffins to the grill and a couple eggs to the skillet.
    [​IMG]

At the appropriate time, cheese was added to the muffins, the yokes were broke and the eggs were flipped.
    [​IMG]

Bacon, egg and cheese on an English, Breakfast is served,
    [​IMG]

Well, what's the sense of having breakfast, especially by a fire. Without a good cup of coffee.

Yep, Mr. Badger has that covered too.
    [​IMG]

I have had the coffee cup for a while. But I saw some other poor soul almost get banned for posting up a photo of his, without any coffee in it. I wasn't willing to take the risk.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
    Thunderwood, mainewoods and Bax 40 like this.
  3. LostViking

Blog Posts:
    Part 3,

Oh yeah, back to that feather stick. What is so special about that? Well, nothing actually. What was special was, I made it with the other item I have wanted since around 1975. It showed the same day as the Badger Zippo.

Here is the box. I felt it was fitting to open the box of the real McCoy, with the imposter.
    [​IMG]

This is what was tucked safely inside the box. More Brass goodness!
    url=https://lv1.smugmug.com/Bushcraft-2016/n-9TWPQB/i-ppLzzn8/A][​IMG][/url]

This is why that feather stick was so special to me. It was made by my very first, and probably only Randall Made Knife. It was made by a Randall and set ablaze by a Badger. Doesn't get much cooler than this for me.
    [​IMG]

I am here to tell ya folks. This was a very special breakfast for me.
    [​IMG]

Thank you John for helping me out with it!

I am truly blessed,
    LV

Last edited: May 14, 2016
    Bax 40 and pgun1267 like this.
  4. MichaelBear

MichaelBear Bushmaster Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Totally awesome! Thank you for sharing.

5. WRHC TopGun

WRHC TopGun Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What a fantastic way to start your day. That's a beautiful Randall and some great Badger Claw loot. Your breakfast looks pretty good too. I think bacon cooked on cast iron over a campfire is about as good as it gets.

6. 55dougie

55dougie Scout

Blog Posts:
    very cool breakfest and goodies and great photos btw.....

7. badger claw

badger claw Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    That knife is something else...classic Randall. Love
    It! Thanks for posting!
    -John

8. manitoulinbound

manitoulinbound Apple Fritter Lover Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Those Zippos are really great, if I didn't have 2 already I would so order a Badger Claw version. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna talk myself into it anyways.

9. Ronin_Jedi

Ronin_Jedi Scout

Blog Posts:
    Great write-up LostViking! Nice story.

Beautiful breakfast (might need cook some though just had dinner!!!!) and done using some mighty fine tools too.

Accolades on selection and to those who made it happen (Badger and Randall).

Challenge: next time you're out, take a paper bag with ya instead of pan to cook you eggs and bacon in. Yes it can be done, I did it. Have fun trying not to set the bag on fire.

Best to ya.

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk

10. LostViking

Blog Posts:

Kind of like boiling water in a paper cup tossed in the fire?
    I used to make money with that one.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  11. Ronin_Jedi

Ronin_Jedi Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ha. Never boiled water. Need try that.

First do the bacon, then the eggs. Trick is not to hold bag over fire and just let it cook. THAT will surely result in no breakfast.

Instead, slowly move bag back-and-forth over the fire, never letting it hover too long in one spot, instead dispersing the heat evenly.

So another hack for your bag of tricks if out and hungry but have no pans.

Best to ya.

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk

12. rlh2

rlh2 Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Beautiful knives, but that breakfast was gorgeous!!!