Brew's Ongoing Mountain Cabin Thread

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by Brew-Jitsu, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Brew-Jitsu

Brew-Jitsu Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hello everyone. I'm starting this thread to share the various projects, meals, wildlife/scenery photography, and any other interesting occurrences on our mountain property, where we just moved.

I hope to share some great recipes, time-saving tips/DIY, and any other tidbits I pick up along the way, and I'm sure I'll need to lean on others for some homestead wisdom when I run into issues (thanks, in advance).

Stay tuned - working on a few pics to post today!

2. Brew-Jitsu

Blog Posts:
    One of our first meals outside (a few days ago) was a pork tenderloin. If you don't brine all of your chicken and pork, you should start - it just takes a bit more prep and the final product is always more tender and forgiving of overcooking.

I use this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/170656/simple-chicken-brine/ and like to add poultry seasoning, pepper, citrus fruit, creole seasoning, hot sauce, etc. - whatever you like.

The wood I used was very resinous pine wood (I don't have much choice), so it did impart some flavor, but it was still delicious.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Brew-Jitsu

Blog Posts:
    Yesterday I assembled two recycled plastic composters so we can start making our own black dirt; the dirt where I live is quite acidic from all of the downed pine trees.

I went with manufactured composters - Algreen Soil Saver Classic - as they will compost faster than a wood-frame composter, and they have a lock on the lid for critters. They are also self watering - the shape will help maintain moisture. The bottoms are open to allow for worms and additional air/moisture flow.

These were easy to assemble and are a decent size. The first box had a nut in the hardware that was unthreaded, so I thought I was going to have to reach out to them to beg for replacement hardware, but the 2nd box contained two bags of hardware, so that worked out!

[​IMG]

These ants weren't too thrilled that I had to move a few rocks for composters, but it was really neat to watch the efficient, coordinated way they moved all of the eggs into the mound to protect them from the sun.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  4. manitoulinbound

manitoulinbound Apple Fritter Lover Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Tagged so I don't miss any of the fun.

5. Brew-Jitsu

Blog Posts:
    One thing we need for the property is a cart to move dirt, saplings/flowers, garbage, and wood. I went with a poly cart because a metal one would be heavy to pull up the hill by hand. That being said, this poly cart has a handle that can be adapted for towing, so that will come in handy when we get a tractor.

The cart is a Gorilla cart, and it has a dumping feature for the bin and stake bed holes to add wooden rails for leaves and things.

But hey, just because the capacity is 1,200 pounds and rolls easily doesn't mean every freeloader on the road can just hop in and go for a ride!?! ;)

[​IMG]

6. Muleman77

Muleman77 Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with your new place. Looks like a good start!

7. Brew-Jitsu

Blog Posts:
    I found this nest yesterday by my outbuilding. I only saw one bee next to it and haven't seen anything since, so I'm not sure what lives inside of it. I'm just hoping it's not wasps or African bees.

[​IMG]

Some wildflowers near the nest...

[​IMG]

8. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout -MOA #17-MYOG #71- Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Nice, I'll be watching bud!

CO Tree Hugger and Brew-Jitsu like this.
  9. Brew-Jitsu

Blog Posts:
    Walking up the hill on Friday, I came across a boulder with what looks to be a man-made hole in it. Does anyone have any input? Maybe a hole for processing nuts or seeds into flour? Wishful thinking?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. MommaJ

MommaJ Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  11. Brew-Jitsu

Blog Posts:
    We also need to build a gate to keep trespassers out, so we started scouting the land for timber to put up on both sides of the road. We found this burned telephone pole from the fire and it looks perfect for one side of the road. It even has some pretty nice steel hardware on it that I could use for the gate, or other projects.

[​IMG]

Some cool evening lighting...

[​IMG]

12. DarrylM

DarrylM Guide

Blog Posts:
    Could that nest wall be individual homes for Solitary Bees? I don't know what a wild hive would look like outside of hollowed trees.

13. Brew-Jitsu

Blog Posts:
    One last pic for today - I drew my first tag! I've never been big game hunting, but I'm hoping I can get a bunch of the Colorado bushcrafters (or whomever!) to come up for the hunt, processing, and cookout.

@Hunt4lyf - mark your calendar, brother!

[​IMG]

14. Hunt4lyf

Hunt4lyf Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    It looks natural to me, all metate's I've ever found are super smooth on the inside from grinding with the pestle over the years.

Awesome!!! I'm not sure I'll be able to make it as I'll be chasing elk the weekend before and deer the week after yours opens but if I can I will, even if for a day. With that burn out your back door you should have some good areas to hunt. Any questions feel free to pm me.

15. MT_Fin

MT_Fin Axe'aholic Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Nice! Subscribed and looking forward to seeing your progress and highlights!

16. whtshdwwz

whtshdwwz Scout

Blog Posts:
    40 years ago my dad made a composting rig from 2 large polyethylene 55 gallon barrels. He drilled holes and set up a frame where the barrels could be flipped every couple days and emptied into a wheelbarrow as needed....it worked very well until he passed away...the added benefit as a kid was the worm beds he set up, we always had fresh fishing bait. Let me know if you need a sketch of the set up.

17. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Excellent thread!

Thank you for sharing!

18. Brew-Jitsu

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the feedback on the rock. I'll see if I can find any smooth examples; there's a few springs in the area, so I'm hoping primitive people set up shop here so I can rediscover their camp(s). Fingers crossed....

I hope you can make it up for a day but, if not, no worries! I can't wait to share the tale and hear about your season. Happy hunting to both of us.

19. Brew-Jitsu

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like a great composting set up (your old man sounds like he was innovative). Please share a sketch at your leisure. Thanks!

20. Brew-Jitsu

Blog Posts:
    I have no idea, but I'm hoping there's honey inside. I'm going to Winnie the Pooh my way in there and check it out... :)

21. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Subbed, don't want to miss any of the fun and excitement nor an opportunity to learn.

22. whtshdwwz

whtshdwwz Scout

Blog Posts:
    My dad also built some home made solar panels and a radiant heating system for our house....fond memories of using vinegar and newspapers to clean the panels weekly...look up Mosquito Coast, that was my dad.

23. CivilizationDropout

Blog Posts:
    Heres what you do! Cut some twigs, fill just the opening of some of those holes and wait to see which insects return and try to enter. it's easy and less dangerous than popping that hill open..

24. Hunt4lyf

Blog Posts:
    Look for flattish areas and little piles of rocks that don't belong, many times they would bring their preferred rocks from far away to make their arrow/spear heads, fleshers, etc... On my little piece of dirt I own out by Hartsel I have several piles of rocks from scree slopes from timberline areas that definitely don't belong with the granite that dominates the property. Also don't look for complete arrowheads, look for pieces of it because more than likely if they were camped there you'll find the discarded pieces they deemed unworthy. I've found many flakes but only 2 broken arrowheads and 1 spearhead that was about 3" long from tip to where it was broken. Where I found the spearhead I can almost imagine the Indian chasing the buffalo on his horse and spearing it through the heart, breaking the the head during the process. I found it about 200 yards west of Hwy 285, just north of Antero Junction while belly crawling through the shortgrass prairie after an antelope.

Here's a head I found, not sure if it was ever shot but you can see at the bottom how it looks broken, maybe it broke after the shot or maybe it broke while it was being chipped out, I kinda think it was shot because it was in a natural saddle where they would have lain in wait for game to cross through.

7638607296_1832724c92_o.jpg

A natural shelter in an area I deer hunt in, you have to walk up on it just right to realize what it is, you can see some rocks scattered that don't belong there that came from timberline

10819169735_6c89f37d1b_o.jpg

A close up of a pile of talus rocks miles from any talus slope

10819388693_ac52ac5fb7_o.jpg

Also look for circles made of rocks, they won't be perfect circles but just the general shape and probably not close to the water as they knew it would foul the water, I know where some are up in Wyoming that I wish I had pictures of.

Long winded but hopefully it'll give you a little help in finding some traces of those that came before.

25. Brew-Jitsu

Blog Posts:
    Wow - thanks for taking the time to share your finds and providing a lot of useful information on what to look for. Your photos are awesome and stirs the imagination with possibilities. I'll be on the lookout and will report back if I find anything like that. Thanks again.

26. Hunt4lyf

Blog Posts:
    No problem, I wish I had pictures of the spearhead and some of my other finds, I'm always looking though what I mostly find are flakes. I don't ever hold on to what I find, just admire and maybe a picture and then it's back to the ground where I found it.

27. atlastrekker

atlastrekker Overlanding Bushwhacker Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    The gorilla cart is awesome. We've had one here for a couple years now that is just like yours and it is very handy. I use it quite a lot.

I like the thread so far, keep up the good work!

28. Brew-Jitsu

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I'm loving the Gorilla cart. I think we might get a 2nd one because it's getting used so much.

29. Brew-Jitsu

Blog Posts:
    Hello again. I have a few updates to share.

We got a hummingbird feeder up to help with pollination as we continue to plant on the property. They also eat gnats, mosquitos and other pests, so they are great to have around, and fun to watch.

Hummingbird feeders can be found for around $10, and you can make the nectar at home.

http://www.wildbirdshop.com/Birding/humfeed.html

[​IMG]

30. Brew-Jitsu

Blog Posts:
    I wanted to know if I could use bags of black beans from the grocery store to help fix the nitrogen levels on my burned property, so I tried an experiment to check the germination potential.

[​IMG]

As instructed on this site, I put out 20 beans to see how many would pop.

[​IMG]

After one week, I opened the bag I had set in the window with the beans and damp paper towel, and all of the beans opened, and some really took off. What a pleasant surprise. This is going to be a really affordable way to get seeds to fix the soil, but I need to put a trellis up for each plant, so I'm also going to look at nitrogen fixers that are of the bush variety so they don't need mechanical support.

[​IMG]

31. Brew-Jitsu

Blog Posts:
    We just replaced a set of tires on CO Tree Hugger's Rav4, so we had the old set to use as planters for some experiments.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We also had to fortify the composters because we found them at the bottom of the hill. The winds here are pretty extreme, but we have a lot of rocks around to use.

[​IMG]

32. Brew-Jitsu

Blog Posts:
    And some shots from hiking around the property over the last few days....thanks for looking!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

33. Brew-Jitsu

Blog Posts:
    Oh yeah, I got a tag for antlered elk this fall. Between that and the deer tag, I'm going to need a deep freezer or a lot of friends to come help me share all of the meat!

34. NattyBo

NattyBo Bon Vivant Supporter

Blog Posts:
    IMO you might want to get the best seeds possible. There are tons of native beans to your region in bush/vine/semi-vine. I was given 5 Rattlesnake beans. Thankfully/luckily all five plants made it. Saved every seed for the next year. In three years I have enough to continue a crop and use for food, all from 5 plants.

Take a look at these guys. I know its not a couple hundred plants for a couple dollars. But for $10 you can get a lot of unique beans. The first link is for Colorado River Beans, $5 for a 1lb bag.
    Just my $.02 Definitely subbing cause I don't want to miss the progress.

https://shop.nativeseeds.org/products/fd033
    https://shop.nativeseeds.org/collections/common-beans

35. Brew-Jitsu

Blog Posts:
    We have the full seed collection from Native Seeds, just haven't planted them yet. The black beans were more of a proof of concept for a cheap price.

When I get to the Native Seed bundle, we will be spending a lot more time pampering the seeds and making sure everything is healthy. Thank you for posting the link; it's a great company with an excellent selection.

36. CivilizationDropout

Blog Posts:
    I've used decoy plants for grazers, edge of the property, broadcast the seed and let it be.

Plant some tobacco in your garden, the leaf eating insects won't leave it alone. But that means they won't bother most other things!

37. Brew-Jitsu

Blog Posts:
    As an amateur greenthumb, I really appreciate the tips and feedback. Thanks!

38. WhisperInThePine

WhisperInThePine Wubba lubba dub dub Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looks like you're both off to a good start!

39. Lichen

Lichen Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What's cool is that you'll be able to see nature's succession in progress. Grasses and flowers to shrubs to trees. You should take a picture of the same place every year to document this.

40. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Most commercial crops are hybrid, they will not consistently produce new plants. They are fine to experiment with, but get some heirloom seeds to grow from year to year.

41. MohaveGreen

MohaveGreen Guide

Blog Posts:
    This is awesome. Sub' d. Thanks for sharing.

42. Fretful7

Fretful7 III Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sub'd for sure. Can't wait to see you all's progress !!

43. Brew-Jitsu

Blog Posts:
    Yes, most definitely. We're also working on our heirloom seeds for our personal food; the black beans are just so I can take them with me on hikes and plant them around the property, as well as the rest of the burn zone.

@CO Tree Hugger started the indoor herb garden yesterday, and she's getting our beans together for when we have time/funds to put up a greenhouse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To give you an example of where the store-bought beans are going, there's 87,000+ acres of burned forest that needs repair beyond my property and more food to attract game, primarily small game (I haven't seen a squirrel or rabbit since we moved here, just lots of birds and deer).

[​IMG]

That being said, I've been keeping my eyes out for huge quantities of heirloom beans that aren't too expensive. We're just a bit low on funds from the move and recent expenditures.

44. CivilizationDropout

Blog Posts:
    Let's start a collection! I've got some heirloom great northern beans, I'm not getting them in the ground this year and I always put away more than I'll plant from each harvest. They're prolific and high climbing, they love the charcoal I mix into the garden soil and I think you can manage some of that.

Also some red indian corn if you like.

45. Brew-Jitsu

Blog Posts:
    That would be awesome, and I wouldn't turn down seeds. We live in a harsh area for drought and cold, so I'm just trying everything I can to speed up the recovery.

46. dub

dub Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Tagged for interest.

47. Bent Chile

Bent Chile Tracker

Blog Posts:
    They are not honey bees, I don't know for sure what type of bee those are but honey bees will not have entrances like that. Jim

48. Brew-Jitsu

Blog Posts:
    I poked around gently with a stick on a cool morning last week and there's nothing going in or out, then or since. Maybe the nest is dead, whatever it was.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  49. Myakka

Myakka Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hey, it looks like your in my neck of the woods

50. Megalos

Megalos Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    There may be some free seed sources out there for what you intend. Maybe check with local extension offices or the DNR.