1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

British Army Crusader Cook Set

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by Rubarb, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Rubarb

Rubarb Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Short video i made last July on the Crusader Cook set, apologies for the poor quality of the footage, some of you have seen this before in a previous life:D

YouTube - Brew Kit

2. msbushman

msbushman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Brit Stove--JUNK
    Made in the USA Zippo---Saves day...lol

Love the truth in advertising of the green goo and the stove...JUNK LOL

Scott

3. rik_uk3

rik_uk3 Guest

Blog Posts:
    I went to the UK 2006 bushmoot camp and a guy by the name of Stewart intoduced himself and asked me if I was the "Stovie guy off the forum" I said yes and he asked if I used the Crusader stove. I told that I'd tried it but did not rate it, due to very poor performance and told me "I was one of the designers" :eek: I said sorry but it was just my opinion and the surprising news was that he agreed, it was crap.

He told me how, IIRC, the design brief was to make a cooker that would burn alcohol gel, as cheap as possible using existing machinery at the factory that punches out the Crusader mug its purpose being to heat water for a brew or ration pack meal.

I guess with those limitations the stove is as good as you'll get and are far better than the MRE heater pouches.

Winter 2007 at one camp a mate gave up trying to boil water on one (even with a lid on the mug) after about twenty minutes and I boiled a kettle for him on a stove; the temp was only around 28f -4c.

That said, nice video as usual Mark :)

4. practicalsurvivor

practicalsurvivor Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for sharing this, I wanted to order this set up. I did order the Ti-tri Caldera Titanium Goat. Only because they said it was a tri fuel stove. I have not had a chance to test it. Its extremely warm here at this time, so I will probably wait until Fall. Honestly, my 3 dollar hobo stove will cook just fine, I need to build one our of stainless.

5. reverendCPA

reverendCPA Scout

Blog Posts:
    I use what I assume to be the US equivalent to this. It works ok but does not have a tray for the alchohol which Im not saddened by. Its good for little hikes and I burn wood in it to warm up my brew.

6. Markheolddu

Markheolddu Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have one of these the cup is brill:D my favorite mug in fact but the burner is pure pants.

Mark