British Army Respirator Bag/Field Pack MTP Camo- Modifications

Discussion in 'Packs, Bags & Pouches' started by Kona9, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Kona9

Kona9 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    0E1E0694-9467-49E6-9CA2-A1FB53A9FFE4.png I received the British Army Respirator or Gas Mask Field Pack a few months ago. It a great bag with tons of potential for modifications due to the quality of materials and the price. I plan to post my thoughts of this bag as well as talk about modifications I have made or plan to make to the bag. I don’t have a pic of the bag on my phone so I will post a pic from eBay as a placeholder for now to give you an idea of what the bag looks like. I plan to take comparison pics with other haversacks I have such as the Finnish Gas Mask Bag and the Hidden Woodsmen Haversack.

***Check post #22 for pics of my bag and mods I’ve done so far. ***

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 9:55 AM
  2. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looking forward to the comparison.
    I just received another ruck myself. A German Army Mountain Ruck.
    It's larger than my bread bag/gas mask/haversack type bags. Lots of potential for a day bag with simple shelter.

3. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    That looks extremely well made... looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

MrFixIt, oddjob35 and central joe like this.
  4. Kona9

Blog Posts:
    Thanks guys. The only thing that I'm not sure about is the way the top flap closes. You can see in the pic that it has both velcro and snaps. The snaps are kind of a pain to secure and I really only see them being used when you want to be double sure it will not open. Velcro on the other hand is kind of loud, which is ok, but I gravitate towards buckles as a closure system. It is plenty fine as is, I'm just nit picking. I did make a shoulder strap mod that I'd like to show you all. It's a quick, non-permanent mod that seems to work.

MrFixIt, cek, oddjob35 and 4 others like this.
  5. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
    hello,
    What you have there is a British Multi Terrain Pattern (MTP) GSR Field Pack/Respirator Pouch. Large centre pocket with heavy duty zipped front which allows for expansion/compression when required. The lid is secured using heavy duty velcro & comes with elasticated retaining straps for additional storage. The main compartment is lined with padded nylon, & has a large plastic retainer for the respirator to attach to. There are also two additional internal storage pockets. Pack also features two side pouches (with pen pockets) attached by MOLLE straps, which can be removed or swapped as required. There are MOLLE & attachments on the rear to allow fixing to MOLLE Compatible belts/vests. The adjustable shoulder strap can be removed if required & there is an additional lower leg strap with quick release buckle. Manufactured from Multi-Terrain Patterned nylon cordura fabric which is very hardwearing. Dimensions – 24cm x 30cm x 10cm. Weighs – 941 grams. NATO Stock Number: 8465-99-434-6734 These were made to acomodate the NEW GSR Respirator which replaced the old version G-10 Respirator. A point to note, this haversack should not be attached to webbing. Although it has the capability to be attached, it's not how it's meant to be worn or used. Shoulder slung, or belt worn, & sat on top or outside the webbing, but never fitted on it. The side pouches can be removed & replaced with much larger pouches, if deemed neccessary, although these aren't supplied, merely if you happen to have a larger pouch. It's possibly one of the best designed bits of kit in comparison to the previous respirator bags, it works very well, is robust & can take a solid beating. I shall deffo look forward to your modifications @Kona9 :)
    Regards
    David

6. Kona9

Blog Posts:
    David, that is excellent information. Thank you for adding to our discussion on this great pack!

I just wanted to add that I agree that this pack is in a total different league in regards to construction compared to my other haversacks. It was truly built to last.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  7. DavidJAFO

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    @Kona9 MOLLE fixings, brew kit on one side & a water bottle on the other, EDC kit inbetween. :)
    Regards
    David

MrFixIt, cek, oddjob35 and 1 other person like this.
  8. oddjob35

oddjob35 Scout

Blog Posts:
  9. tobiism

tobiism Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Holy cow that's a lot bigger than I was expecting!
    Mtp utility field pack (3).JPG

10. oddjob35

oddjob35 Scout

Blog Posts:
    As @DavidJAFO said above, this is a very well thought out piece of kit and very well built. It is surprisingly large and the double zippered front panel expansion gives a huge amount of extra room (though it does taper to the same size at the base). @Kona9 Have you made any modifications yet as I would love to see what you are doing to this pack? I have only added a pad to the shoulder strap and a grab handle from paracord between the strap loops so far. I want to see how it goes for a bit before making any serious mods myself. I guess I am still at the play with it stage and finding out what it is capable of and what I find it needs/lacks.

So a bit more detail for anybody interested. I got mine from here … https://www.survivalaids.com/mtp-british-army-respirator-bag-field-pack-gsr-mask and although it says issued I am pretty sure that mine never was (too clean, no marks or names/service numbers written on). Shipping to the US almost doubled the price, but I did have some other stuff in my order as well. Took about a week from order to delivery here in the USA so not bad at all.

The inside of the main compartment has some elastic, I guess, retaining loops for the gas mask. Two running from the lid to the back vertically and one larger horizontal one near the bottom on the back. These will probably just get cut off from mine unless I find a particular use for them. On the left side (looking from the front) there is a full width compartment which is able to take a water bottle of an appropriate size (again the narrower base size is the limiting factor) and the other side the compartment is divided (once you go down a bit) into three although these are stitched off short of the base so although each section is a suitable width for my Mora Companion in its sheath, it sticks up and interferes with the lid closure, but the Eldris is fine in there and doesn't get lost at the bottom of the slot! I am thinking probably one for the Eldris or possibly my White River Knives nekker as the 2.25" wide kydex sheath *just* fits as well, one with a M&Ms tube of the round esbit tablets and the third for a match safe/pill bottle sized kit of small bits.

The standard (supplied) pouches can be folded down to about half their height as they are closed with Velcro which runs a good way down the pouch and they measure approx. 9" x 4" x 2" at full stretch. They both have a three slot pen holder inside on the back, suitable for keeping small stuff tidy (like ferro rod, opinel or small SAK, BIC, small sharpening stone etc.). These may be a little difficult to have easy access to if you have the pouches stuffed full as the pen holders are close to the bottom of the pouch. These pouches are MOLLE attached, so could be replaced with any suitably sized pouches that you may have. I saw in the other thread I linked above that the "dude" had attached a water bottle pouch to his on one side.

So I am still playing with mine trying to sort out what all I want to get in there and carry and I suspect it will become my new go to instead of my Polish bread bag.

Hope this helps.

OJ

11. Kona9

Blog Posts:
    Very good details on the different pockets. I haven’t done too much to the bag yet, but I plan to post some pictures. I’ve been busy and it’s been raining just about everyday so opportunities to do this have been rare.

oddjob35 and DavidJAFO like this.
  12. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have an earlier version (I'd guess Falklands war era) in solid OD green and I thought that was a really nicely make bag, but this one is head and shoulders above mine. What a great day pack it would make.

When I first opened this post I though it would be on the famous Indiana Jones respirator pack!

oddjob35 and DavidJAFO like this.
  13. DavidJAFO

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    @werewolf won the original 1958 pattern webbing "Noddy suit" N.B.C pouch was standard issue O.G to match the webbing belt pack order, the DPM version came into effect/use when the Personal Load Carrying Equipment (PLCE) was issued. At the time SASS (Special Air Sea Service) Ltd created from details I sent them, the N.B.C roll, which was intended for bandolier/bandoleer style, worn with belt order only, mainly for RECCE (reconnaissance), & was used often enough for EDC Basha sleep system, & occasionally belts of 7.62mm ammunition. The latest pattern MOLLE pack was designed I believe for an "uncertain future" N.B.C (terrorist dirty bomb) warfare as so more N.B.C decontamination kit could be carried for prolonged wear/use in the field, hence the larger capacity, & modifications. :)
    Regards
    David

14. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Thanks David. I was assuming it was not P-58 only because of it’s all nylon construction and Fastex buckle.

oddjob35, Rockgod1619 and DavidJAFO like this.
  15. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    That's a very interesting looking bag @Kona9, I would likely tend to overload it though:11:.

oddjob35, MrFixIt and DavidJAFO like this.
  16. Kona9

Blog Posts:
    Yes, this bag could definitely be overloaded easily. Any shoulder bag like this and the other haversacks need to be fairly light or I just opt to take a backpack. I don’t know how some guys have all these molle pouches on their haversacks and items strapped the bottoms and still comfortably carry it. They must not be carrying them for very long or for only shorter distances.

cek, oddjob35, blind & lost and 2 others like this.
  17. DavidJAFO

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    .. from the old adage, just because you carry a large pack, doesn't mean you have to fill it to the brim. ;) LOL
    Regards
    David

18. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Much bigger than my old style UK/Dutch pouch and that is big enough for a day walk with extras. It does after all hold a 3 litre billy easily.
    I won't need to change but if there was a choice between the old and the new I'd opt for the new in this instance

oddjob35 likes this.
  19. tomcfitz

tomcfitz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Teach me your ways! I don't think I've ever NOT packed a pack to the brim...

blind & lost, DavidJAFO and oddjob35 like this.
  20. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Obviously need a new [ bigger] pack

DavidJAFO and oddjob35 like this.
  21. DavidJAFO

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    Bro "the more skills you have, the less gear you need to pack”. :)
    Regards
    David

22. Kona9

Blog Posts:
    AF4E829F-9E4D-473E-A0F3-1DFD94D27D29.jpeg 0269EECF-169C-4E59-979C-58EEBC6D8293.jpeg FD3C7425-9FA2-4A09-B50C-16FB09459A79.jpeg 0AFBB5AA-081E-42C4-9A16-D20D43B01054.jpeg Well it finally stopped raining here, but if you have ever been to western NY you know all that means is now it is snowing. Took a few quick pics of the bag. You can see in the pics that I replaced the strap with a 2” strap which is military grade webbing with metal hardware that swivels. I wasn’t a fan of the thinner, stiffer webbing strap that comes with the bag. I’m also trying out moving the strap location from the back d rings to the sides, where most of my favorite shoulder bags have the strap attached. Not wanting to make this a permanent mod, I tied a loop of paracord through the top molle strap on each side and attached the shoulder strap to them. I think I prefer the side mounting and at this point I might just leave it as the stitching on the molle is very robust and shows no signs of stress. Later on I might come up with something different. That’s really it so far.

blind & lost, cek, Ptpalpha and 2 others like this.
  23. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Since your black hardware swivels you could replace the paracord with some lightweight carabiniers or even grim-locks.

Kona9 likes this.
  24. Kona9

Blog Posts:
    Yes indeed. Going on a hike tomorrow so depending on what I need to take, this bag may get chosen and tested in the lake effect snow we are expecting.