Brk aurora in a2 or ltwk gns.

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by narativesoul, Jul 14, 2019.

1. narativesoul

narativesoul Tracker

Blog Posts:
    So trying to decide. Bark river aurora in a2 or a lt wright gns in a similar steel. Not interested in the super steels. Just wondering what you folks Thaughts are.

buckfynn likes this.
  2. Poku

Poku Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Both are excellent knives and you can't really go wrong either way. That said, I've had both in the past and I prefer the Aurora. I prefer the convex grind, handle shape, and I believe it's lighter as well. The GNS comes in a convex grind also, but it has a microbevel which, in my opinion, defeats the beauty of a convex.

3. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Lifetime Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Pardon my beat up work bench, but here is a photo comparing the two, if that helps any.
    [​IMG]

Ragman, blue333, Kona9 and 1 other person like this.
  4. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Lifetime Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Personally I like the grip and feel of the GNS a bit better than the Aurora. Both are decent knives, everyone has a different preference. For me the quality of both knives are about on par with each other.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Ragman likes this.
  5. mauiarcher

mauiarcher Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Rather different knives IMO even if comparing LT convex. Handles are different, blade height is different, grinds are different, etc. I consider the BRKT a high performance thinner convex that does quite well in wood. Some have said that is a little chippy but nothing that couldn't likely be overcome with a slight secondary that was a little more obtuse. I don't blame manufacturers for their geometries, I try to modify to my intended use if needed. They will both stand behind their product and offer great warranties. I broke the tip off my aurora and they reground at no charge. I am sure LT would do the same. For my sensibilities and to my eye, I always felt the Aurora could stand a little more blade height. I don't think it detracted from performance whatsoever (except maybe spreading peanut butter) and it is a tad pointier that lent itself to fine work and tight spaces a little more than the GNS.

Both great offerings....nothing against Mike and BRKT (I own and have owned and will continue to own BRKT), however, between the two, I sold my Auroras and kept my GNSs. Doesn't matter what I or any of us think, it comes down to personal opinion, what your intended use is, your preferences are, and what feels better in hand. I will say this despite your post about lack of interest in "supersteel", for me the 3v LT aurora was a better version than the A2 standard. I appreciated the significantly tougher steel and believe it is potentially a better choice in that grind.

good luck

buckfynn and Ragman like this.
  6. beacon

beacon Simul justus et peccator Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'm kinda partial to the Aurora (A2) because I've enjoyed my own so much, but I don't think you can go wrong with anything from LT.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

buckfynn, mauiarcher and Ragman like this.
  7. RTDoug

RTDoug Scout

Blog Posts:
    If the GNS ergos suit you, go for it. Myself, I found it a little too "broomhandle" feeling. Gave it to my son. I have a Nebula, same as an Aurora but with inletted tang, and find it very comfortable. I have never felt under gunned with Mike's A2.
    Regards

buckfynn likes this.
  8. ACinSA

ACinSA Bring it, don't sing it! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    That's a tough choice. I own both and I really like both. I find the Bark River handles really hard to beat...they feel so good in the hand. Not to throw a wrench into the sprockets, but...I prefer the BRKT Bushcrafter 2 over both of them.

Good luck and let us know which way you go!

buckfynn likes this.
  9. GunGoBoom

GunGoBoom I'm not lost, I've just misplaced myself. Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I traded an Aurora for my first GNS. A year or two later I sold the GNS. I pretty quickly regretted that and bought another. I won't make that mistake again. I'll have a GNS in my collection as long as I'm still able to go into the woods. After that my kids will have it. I like the GNS that much. The Aurora, not so much. I wasn't a fan of the grind and I found myself wanting more belly.

buckfynn likes this.
  10. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would not shy away from 3v. 3v is not much harder to sharpen than A2 and can take a finer more keen edge because of the small particles from the CPM process, 3v also has a decent amount more corrosion resitants.

As to the knives asked about in the OP I have no experience with either knife but recommend a knife with a larger full handle for harder use. Smaller handled knives have their place but hard work carving and prepping wood for fire is much better done with a larger tool handle with no sharp edges.

mauiarcher and buckfynn like this.