Broke my hammock

Discussion in 'Hammocks' started by BC-Medic, Jul 8, 2018.

1. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Scout

Blog Posts:
    So the cheap Walmart hammock I bought last year ( cheap version of the one Tigris) with the built in bug net broke. This the first time I set it up this season...hung it in the same spot...tried to get the same hang. Got in it,tried to zip it and the zipper blew.. spread like zippers can and now it won't zip closed. Seemed there was a lot of tension on the zipper...not sure why....it will zip closed in 1 direction but not the other. Of course the net got caught in the zipper and has a hole....I can fix that....I just don't know why it was so hard to zip and why there was so much tension on the zipper. I did NOT gain that much weight....lol

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  2. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Scout

Blog Posts:
    20180708_162438.jpg 20180708_162438.jpg 20180708_162438.jpg

Attached Files:

central joe likes this.
  3. KFF

KFF Scout

Blog Posts:
    Rub candle wax on zippers before and after storage. Acts as both lubricant and protector against corrosion.

Kona9, gila_dog, Skruffy and 4 others like this.
  4. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm wondering if I did something wrong with the hang and the angle, is it cheap zipper because I paid $17 for it, did I have the ridgelines hung too high for the bug net which put on necessary stress on the whole thing, is it a common failing to having a built-in bug net?

Skruffy and central joe like this.
  5. MississipVol

MississipVol Scout

Blog Posts:
    It is the cheap zipper. $17 hammocks just aren't made to last. But if you got one season out of it then it wasn't that bad of an investment.

6. Avohei

Avohei Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Never thunk of this. Lol. Totally going to do this to my zippers. Thanks.

7. nograveconcern

nograveconcern Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Your angle looks really steep to me. Trees too close, too loose at the hammock straps, too high at the bug net lines. Those bug net lines shouldn't bear any of your weight.

Skruffy, grey mouse and central joe like this.
  8. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'll second this idea. Those trees are definitely too close and that won't allow the proper angle. Also, I'm assuming that is a stretch cord that is holding up the net or that could be an issue also. Never set up the net until you have sat in the hammock and given everything a good stretch when your not using a structural ridge line. A good idea would to set your pack in the hammock when setting up the netting. I don't know if you did this so I'm simply mentioning it. That tree on the left is perhaps too small in that it may move when you test it and give you a false "reading" of the set-up. Imagine if it moves to the right when you lay in it but the wind pulled it to the left and thus stressed the zipper.

Skruffy and nograveconcern like this.
  9. mtnoutdoors

mtnoutdoors Prov 27:17 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would look at the teeth on the zipper ready good to see if 1 or more broke. Prov 27:17

Skruffy likes this.
  10. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I’m thinking my Skeeter beater only cost about 40 bucks or so .
    I’ve woken up after a night of thrashing around with just the mosquito
    Net holding up my feet . No problems . Always put the spreaders on the mosquitoe net after I see how the lay is though .
    However after saying all that , if I was a manufacturer and I wanted to save money on a product I don’t know where I could cut back unless it was using a cheap zipper . You couldn’t save that much on the material of the hammock and still have something that would support a human I don’t think .

Skruffy likes this.
  11. Cachersquirrel

Cachersquirrel Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Trees are not too close. It looks like the proper 30-degree angle with the attachments, and so long as you have this 30-degrees and aren't stretching the hammock too tight, then the trees aren't going to be too close. I've got a standard travel hammock that I literally connect each end of the hammock directly to a strap hook on two trees-no suspension needed. Those trees are 8 feet apart, and closer than the ones in the picture. The one tree does look too small, and not the minimum 6-8 inch tree diameter. What I'm thinking is you have too much tension on the mosquito netting. There needs to be some sag so that when you do get into the hammock you don't blow the zipper as you did. I tend to tie the net supports on a different brand hammock more horizontal than what I see in the pic, and often closer to the actual attachment point of the hammock to the suspension to help with this.

12. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks guys...I thought the net line where high. I think when I got in it stressed it way too much and instead of realizing that I got stubborn and tried to zip it closed. It still works and closes one way not a total loss. The reason I tried this was to see if I wanted to do the hand thing.....I went cheap to find before I dumped hundreds on a good one. I figured if I didn't care for it for the price it wasn't a bad piece of kit to bring along for some camping. I have seen in my life even those Park in joint campsites that we have here in the White Mountains had flooded out because of a packed gravel I have watched tense floods Etc. I figured even if I wasn't overly comfortable up off the ground and dry.... I am starting to consider a simple bug net hammock from dream hammocks they're Darien model looks pretty good and is not overly expensive if anybody wants to throw in recommendations I am definitely willing to learn and listen. There is a expensive hammock that caught my attention...... but drawing a blank right now blackbird Thunderbird? That could be the name of the company and not the model somebody had mentioned something about a foot box I think?

Skruffy likes this.
  13. Watertooner

Watertooner Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
  14. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    True, but also kinda not the point. We all know that paying $200 for a hammock will get you a better product than paying $20. If the answer to everything was just to spend 10x as much, there would not be as many people participating in anything.

Problem: "Broke the axle on my S10... "
    Answer: "Buy a Mercedes Benz G-Class AMG G65 4MATIC ($240,000)- not cheap, but worth every penny."

See? Doesn't work always. Warbonnet is a great hammock, but the issue here is not necessarily the quality of the product so much as it's use and too much tension on a zipper.

grey mouse likes this.
  15. dub

dub Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I'm going to go with this. Every hammock I've owned that didn't have an internal ridgeline had shock cord to hang the bug net. Might be worth looking into.

16. Watertooner

Watertooner Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    My apologies to you that you missed my point while making your point about S-10 vs Mercedes. BC-Medic asked a very specific question in reply #12 that I tried to helpfully answer in reply #13. He wanted info about "blackbird Thunderbird? That could be the name of the company and not the model somebody had mentioned something about a foot box I think?" Perhaps you didn't see that. I merely supplied the answer to BC-Medic's question and added my 2 cents about the value.

Anywho, having been warmly welcomed upon the occasion of my first post to BC-USA, I'll return to lurking and let others have the field.

17. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    No need to apologize, I see that it is I who need to. I am sorry. I did not see that line in post 12 referencing an expensive, name-unknown hammock that he was asking about.

I read your reply as a response to the initial post, as a solution to the issue presented. In that context, it is a completely different tone and attitude presented than what was reality in this case. Usually such a reply would have quoted the line in post #12 for reference, otherwise it reads as a reply to post #1.

Again, sincere apologies from me on that misinterpretation.

Don't feel like you need to lurk in the shadows, participation is appreciated. My erroneous reply was not meant to cause anyone to stop discussing in the first place, merely to point out an opposing perspective on the solution to the torn zipper problem- which was not even a proposed solution at all (my mistake).

18. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thank you that is the hammock I was referring to, one of I'm sure a few of the top-end ones but that one sticks out in my mind.

19. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    Using a app with an angle finder on the last picture without having weight in the hammock shows that the left strap angle is 32.68° while the right strap angle is 45.58°. Those measurements are taken from the tree to the hammock bundle at 90° and then to the loop in the strap.

20. WILL

WILL Guide

Blog Posts:

I worked my way up the hammock food chain to the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC. Worth every penny. I'm a cold sleeper, so my biggest issue so far has been CBS (cold but syndrome). Started out with sleeping pads and eventually got a Hammock Gear Incubator. Problem for me was it didn't consistently cover the foot box & shoulder area, and wind cuts right through it. Long story short, for temps below 50, I switched to the Warbonnet Wookie under-quilt built specifically for their hammock, and a 2qzq under-quilt protector for wind. Expensive set up so far, hope it works.

gila_dog likes this.
  21. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So, now that you've tried a hammock, how do you like it? Are you going to be using a hammock a lot in the future? Buying the cheap hammock was smart, because you didn't know if you were going to be a hanger or not. But if you are, then my suggestion would be to go ahead and buy a good one. It only cost you $17 to find out if you like hammocks or not. And the cheap hammock is still useful, just sort of a PITA with the zipper.
    I have a Warbonnet Blackbird and I really like it. It's a solid, quality product, and I've used it for several years now. Nothing worn out or damaged, and it's very comfy. One thing it has that your cheap one probably doesn't have is a double bottom. 2 layers of nylon made with an opening along the zipper side where you can slide a pad of some kind into it. That makes it a lot warmer, and if you don't use a pad, like in hot weather, it will make it harder for mosquitos to bite thru. Is it worth the money? For me it is because I don't want to be replacing it, I just want to use it hard and not have it crapping out on me. After all, it only costs about as much as 2 or 3 nights in a motel room.

WILL likes this.
  22. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Scout

Blog Posts:
    Do you have a app suggestion?

23. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Scout

Blog Posts:
    Not totally sold on the hang yet. I plan on playing around some more this summer. I was thinking about moving up the hammock chain before I go Warbonnet. I was looking a a model from Dream Hammock or maybe Trek Light with the separate bug net they have.

24. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    I downloaded ImageJ to my pc. You can then open the jpeg and get measurements from the program. I haven't figured it out yet on how to save the jpeg with the measurements yet due to my workload. Depending oh how you measure you can probably get within +/- 3° of the measurements that I posted. Just for informational purposes I'm going to use it to analyze my own pics of when I started hanging and was miserable so that I can compare to my latest set up's that was oh so comfortable.

Download: https://imagej.nih.gov/ij/download.html