Buck 110 users

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by ponchomatt, Dec 19, 2018.

1. woodsranger

woodsranger Solitude Seeker

Blog Posts:
    All of this! I carried my 112 for years and loved it, but I always wished that it had a drop point instead of a clip point. And then Buck finally came out with it in a drop point and in 5160 steel. It was like a dream come true! For me it's the perfect folder.

2. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Guess what, guys? My wallet hates you...

(And my photography still sucks - just noticed the focus on this pic is on the grass in the background, not the knives in the foreground... o_O)

20190526_193728.jpg

I got the oak handles for the drop point version. Really I prefer the darker ones but if/when I get traditional clip points, I want them to differentiate and the clip points should get the more original-style color scales...

20190526_193815.jpg

Sitting among some of the leftovers from trying them out. Now with both sizes to compare, I think the my old '80s one that I lost was actually a 112, not a 110. I need to dig out the old sheath and see which one it fits; I could be wrong...

20190526_194940.jpg

I have more to say but I want to make it in a separate post so it doesn't get lost with the above...

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  3. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    Okay, so here's my question for those of you who got the 112 in BOS 5160, especially with a drop point and oak handle - what markings were on the blade???

Note the 110 has the BOS logo before the steel type, while the 112 only has the steel type. But it has to be BOS heat treated too, right? Do they even make them without the BOS heat treat??

20190526_193804.jpg

Ultimately I've decided to exchange the 112 for a new one. The markings weren't the driver; we'll see what the new one has. No, it was the action - the 110 is consistently smooth through the whole range of motion, but the 112 gets tight about 2/3 open, all the way to full open. And then closing it, it takes extra force to get it moving. The hand position to deactivate the lockback while closing, that's a safety hazard; having to force it close increases the risk of cutting yourself. Makes me feel uncomfortable every time I do it. Oh, and the grind on the tip is off a hair, too, has a little spur...

Yes, there are things I could do that might make it better, break it in, but I don't believe I should have to repair a new Buck to make it usable, especially for that dollar. You may or may not notice from two of the pics in my previous post, the brass near the lock at the base on the 112 is starting to tarnish a little. This leads me to believe I was shipped a previously returned knife, probably for the same issue(s).

Hopefully the next one matches the quality of the 110 I got. Otherwise it's a nice knife.

4. XMP

XMP Mountain Man Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @kronin323 I had to go look. Both of my 112s, a clip and a drop point, have both the 5160 and Bos logo on them. Not sure why yours doesn't say that, but I'm pretty sure you're right that they are all heated treated by Paul Bos.

5. woodsranger

Blog Posts:
    @kronin323 Where did you buy yours? Mine has the BOS logo too.

Edit: And mine is the drop point with oak handle.

6. Rockgod1619

Rockgod1619 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ok, I just can't decide between a 110 and a 112! I want to get one, in an upgraded steel and with a drop point, but I just can't decide which one I want first!

7. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My vote is go 110! It’s a classic must have!

8. Rockgod1619

Blog Posts:
    I'm definitely tempted to lean that way, but not sure if I want the extra blade length right away. I will have both at some point anyway though, right?

9. woodsranger

Blog Posts:
    112 all the way! Smaller, lighter, easier to carry in a jeans pocket. What are you going to be using a folding knife for anyway that 3" of steel can't do? If you want a 4" blade you might as well get a fixed blade! :11:

Just my biased opinion, of course. :D

10. XMP

Blog Posts:
    I'd generally agree with @woodsranger. Here's how I'd decide: if you are planning on carrying it in your pocket then the 112 is undoubtedly the way to go. If you are going to carry it in the provided belt sheath then the 110 is a viable choice. Carrying the 110 in your pocket might give the ladies the wrong idea and makes it hard to walk around.

11. Rockgod1619

Blog Posts:
    That was a thought of mine as well. Though I wear a belt every day (and generally carry a fixed blade on my belt), I'd probably lean towards pocket carry for the 11x. I carry a Kershaw Cryo II every day (Father's Day present from my wife a few years ago) but I sometimes like to switch things up!

12. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    Sorry, I missed the question to me on the first pass...

From amazon, sold by Copper & Clad. Seems like all the BOS 5160 versions on amazon are from Copper & Clad. Just guessing here, I don't think Buck makes 5160 versions as part of their default line-up. Note their website only offers the 110 and 112 in S30V and several varieties of 420HC. Instead I think C&C is placing bulk custom orders in 5160 then reselling them. But I could be wrong.

13. stewey1

stewey1 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just ordered a DLT exclusive in black micarta, nickel silver and s35vn. Cannot wait! You lot are horrible enablers.

14. ponchomatt

ponchomatt Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don’t know, I have to say for use on food as an edc the 110 has been better than the 112 with certain food items. Although I have used the 112 for a lot of stuff now I still have to say the 110 does excel in certain edc tasks that suit my needs. That being said I enjoy belt carry and if I do pocket carry that’s where the 112 does win out.

15. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    Here's a question for y'all - if you were going to do a comparison test between the clip and drop point versions of the 110 and/or 112, what would your test activities be?

Again it's a comparison test between the two blade designs, not the two model sizes. Clip vs. drop. Destructive tests are viable answers as long as they're labeled as such. The only rule is, no poking into other people. Unless they really, really deserve it, that is... :eek:

16. victoratsea

victoratsea LB #42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Myself, I would EDC each blade design for at least a couple of weeks. I would do everything with them to see which blade really suited me. I did this in the late eighty's with my 112 Ranger and my 500 Duke. I preferred the 500's drop point. If I was going to replace my lost 110; I would definitely buy a new drop point 110 in S30V. P4130291.JPG
    Victor

17. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm really glad to see so many still own and use these knives, particularly the 110. It stood out in my childhood as a major icon, carried by anyone that was a true outdoorsman, blue collar worker, and manly men. I'll never forget that and it will never change. Also thanks to Buck for keeping the 110 what it is and not trying to make it something its not.

18. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    Rockgod1619 and ponchomatt like this.
  19. ponchomatt

ponchomatt Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well, I kinda did. In the end I really liked both. Not even taking size into account at all and giving an unbiased answer I’d have to say the obvious answer that both knives excel at what they were designed for. The 110 is a workhorse for meat processing. Even used it at my in laws when we slaughtered a cow, used to clean fish, the whole 9. I’ve taken the 112 on several outings now and even used it as my primary camp knife. Whittling spits, toggles, a stir spoon. In the end I really like both and really only would say I have a preference depending on the task but would use either knife for any task if that’s all I had. Sorry if this is vague but I hope it helps

superpaco, Rockgod1619 and kronin323 like this.
  20. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    So you're saying the clip point is better for meat, the drop point better for wood?

ponchomatt likes this.
  21. 45jack

45jack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  22. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    No, the original 110 still exists. Still use 440 because it works well, still use wood and brass despite it being heavier. None of those things are popular for mainstream anymore but they still make the classic just like they used to.

I mean, they offer the bucklight and the micarta versions which has a clip:11: and offer it in S30 and different blade shapes too, but they're still making the 110 just like they used to and still back it with an unconditional warranty.:42: I respect that. Although they have a lot of offerings, the 110 is a lot of why buck is still relevant imo.

superpaco, XMP, ponchomatt and 4 others like this.
  23. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    They do? I thought they stopped using 440C in 1981 and have been using 420HC since 1993 (with 425M between the two periods).

On a side note, I wish I knew how to tell the difference between 440C and 425M. I have a 120 with markings that date it from a period where it could be either.

Swampdog, Rockgod1619 and ponchomatt like this.
  24. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Pretty close when everything these days is lightsaber touted supersteels.
    I'm just saying its like case and GEC using more traditional steels because they work and they don't change on a whim.

kronin323, ponchomatt and 45jack like this.
  25. ponchomatt

ponchomatt Scout

Blog Posts:
    Not at all. My 110 does fire prep like no ones business as does my 112 drop point. Both carve exceptional notches and other fine detailed tasks. As for puncturing wood to start a bow drill hole over time I can’t say. I’m no expert and have little experience with it. That’s a delicate tip on the 110 which is one of its strengths and weaknesses. When processing game though, that thing is like a surgical scalpel. I feel like I get more control of the knife with the clip point. That’s my experience between the two.

26. Snakeshooter

Snakeshooter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    ponchomatt and 45jack like this.
  27. ponchomatt

ponchomatt Scout

Blog Posts:
    Seems like I’ve seen a slight increase across the board on all knives I’ve been looking at lately. Maybe I’m crazy though.

45jack and Snakeshooter like this.
  28. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    image.jpeg Cool thread! Made me look for a couple of mine while I was looking for a holster in my gear boxes. I have a 1970 110 and a 1970-1971 112 ,neither of which has been used in at least 40 years. The 11o I bought but the 112 was given to me with my name engraved on the handle by Buck when they were in El Cajon CA and I worked for a year at a gun shop that sold them. The rep wanted us to push the new model so we were all given one with our names on them.
    Guess it is time to clean them up a bit...

Regards,

ezra

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    Corso, trafficjuzz, superpaco and 8 others like this.
  29. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    Nice patina on that brass there. They're yours so obviously you can make them as fresh and shiny as you want but if I were you I wouldn't - if you handle them for a couple of days, your hands will wear off some of the gunkier patina and what's left will be something that many find attractive. One of the cool things about patina is it's constantly evolving.

superpaco, ezra45 and ponchomatt like this.
  30. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    Alright, I was out of town for most of last week so I didn't have a chance to check out the replacement 112 until this weekend. Unfortunately, another fail - action way too stiff and the lockbar and blade are obviously misaligned. For $60 I need something better out of the box.

Then this one, too, had the 5160 marking without the BOS logo. It may be inconsequential but if I'm collecting up a few BOS 5160 items, I'd like consistent markings. Even though I purchased these via amazon, I contacted copper and clad directly to see if they could explain the discrepancy with the markings and hopefully maybe even get me hooked up with one that has the proper markings and suitable fit and finish.

But in the meantime, this one, too, is going back to amazon. And I'm not going to try again, not from this batch. Instead I'll do a 5160 clip point in charcoal and hope I have better luck.

20190602_211508.jpg

20190602_204940.jpg

31. shanerbass

shanerbass Scout

Blog Posts:
    Bought my 112 drop point with charcoal handles and 5160 from Copper & Clad. No markings whatsoever on the blade. Kind of embarrassed to say that I never noticed before. Sent them an email asking why
    IMG_20190602_203347.jpg IMG_20190602_203339.jpg

superpaco, 45jack, ponchomatt and 2 others like this.
  32. LogCabin

LogCabin Guide

Blog Posts:
    I looked at my 110 I have had since I found it in NEW condition in a gutter in San Diego circa 1975. (Navy Days)
    I wanted to verify the stamp for the date code.
    But the code was "/" and therefore 1993. I thought "No Way!!"
    Until I recalled sending it in because the lock would sometimes pop out. I obviously did not use the sentimental description in my need. I got a brand new one.

Memory is a terrible thing to waste.

Ken in NC

33. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    It's been a couple of days and Copper & Clad hasn't responded to my email. Maybe they still will but I'm no longer holding my breath. Both of those 112 drop points in oak are returned.

But, my 112 clip point on charcoal arrived. Really I like the looks of the charcoal much better, was only getting the drop points in oak to tell them apart when they're closed and if only one could have charcoal, I preferred it be the traditional blade design.

Action on this one is still a little stiff, not as smooth as that recent drop point 110, but at least it's consistent through the motion and the pieces are aligned. I'll go ahead and keep this one, let the action smooth itself out with use.

And, though it's only a cosmetic consideration, this one at least had markings with the BOS logo...

20190604_221624.jpg

I'll revisit the drop point in oak some day when it's had enough time to cycle to the next batch or so. Or I will, maybe, if my enthusiasm for the thing is still up.

Thanks for reading.

34. XMP

Blog Posts:
    I came up with a little idea for my Buck 112 that has been working excellently for me in the woods.

I never liked that the Bucks would drop to the bottom of my pocket, especially when they'd turn sideways while I was hiking around. So I thought a pocket sheath with a clip would prevent this and put the knife in easy reach as well. I figured while I was at it, it would be nice to have a place to keep my firesteel without it also sitting crosswise in my pocket. I mentioned the idea to @wvtracker14 and he executed what I had in mind perfectly. Here is the result:

IMG_E3903.JPG

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  35. XMP

Blog Posts:
    A couple more shots of the pocket sheath:

IMG_E3900.JPG
    IMG_E3899.JPG

36. XMP

Blog Posts:
    Lastly in the pocket:

IMG_3894.JPG

My apologies for the multiple posts; I'm in the mountains on a satellite and it's hard to load pictures.

37. stewey1

stewey1 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Got my DLT 110 today, the factory secondary bevel is very uneven, Im a bit underwhelmed but my son loves it so it will stay.

ponchomatt likes this.
  38. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Scout

Blog Posts:
    ponchomatt and XMP like this.
  39. XMP

Blog Posts:
    ponchomatt likes this.
  40. Mjolnir

Mjolnir Scout

Blog Posts:
    My 110s - the two on the left are put up for the kids. My old companion on the right I've carried on my belt a huge portion of the time since I bought it in, I believe, 1975. It's forays into the woods though have almost always been in a backup role to a fixed blade. 20190606_0759_Buck_110.jpg

41. ponchomatt

ponchomatt Scout

Blog Posts:
    XMP likes this.
  42. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    Did they ever respond to you?

ponchomatt likes this.
  43. ponchomatt

ponchomatt Scout

Blog Posts:
    C1B798EB-817C-41CE-B8C8-6CF9E263F61E.jpeg
    Gotta love some Krispy Kreme

44. Simplejack

Simplejack Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    20190623_163628.jpg 20190627_010319.jpg 20190623_163554.jpg all of my sons have a buck 110 my oldest wanted a fancy leather belt sheath for his. So I made him one

45jack, Huey, ponchomatt and 8 others like this.
  45. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Scout

Blog Posts:
    ponchomatt and Simplejack like this.
  46. Simplejack

Simplejack Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Thank you

ponchomatt and Redneck Bear like this.
  47. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Scout

Blog Posts:
    So, my bucking collection.

The right one started it, a gift I received from BCUSA's own @JeffG ... :)
    After some time I'd sent it to Buck (the spring was weak) but I liked that kind of knife so much I got another one.
    And I got a Buck 486 somehow, dunno how ... :D

Anyway, the first one arrived home and the family is whole at last. Buck yeah!!! :)

photo_2019-07-22_19-04-14.jpg

48. JeffG

JeffG Guide

Blog Posts:
    Looking good!:dblthumb:

ponchomatt and Redneck Bear like this.
  49. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Scout

Blog Posts:
    And works like a youngster. :)

ponchomatt and JeffG like this.
  50. superpaco

superpaco I used to think I was really smart....

Blog Posts:

That is one gorgeous and fancy sheath! I thought to myself "that is a bit much for my belt", but if I was a teenager still that is exactly the sheath I'd have wanted for my 110...

Redneck Bear and ponchomatt like this.