Bucksaw Question

Discussion in 'Adventure Sworn Bushcraft Co.' started by SonsOfLiberty, Jun 9, 2019.

1. SonsOfLiberty

SonsOfLiberty Impoverished via '79 CJ-7 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I just recurved an AS Bucksaw direct. I’ve never used one and it came with no directions. The centerpiece mostises doesn’t lock tight into the tenons completely flush when the string is twisted up. There is still a little bit of play. Is that normal or did I get one that didn’t pass QC?

2. mauiarcher

mauiarcher Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Didnt quite understand all of your post....autocorrect maybe?

I would be surprised if there would be any play with the paracord appropriately tensioned....I can make a buck saw out of sticks so I would assume the dove tail AS saw would work fine unless the center brace doesnt fit into the respective holes. That said, mine doesn't sit completely flush in the joint...I dont care, works great.

If you dont like the way yours looks or is seated, shoot Cody an email....he will make it right or refund

Good luck.

SonsOfLiberty and Kreger like this.
  3. rcwells

rcwells Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You probably don’t have it tight enough. Twist until you think it’s too much and go a little more. The blade should be very stiff and the string very taught. I’m fairly certain you can’t break the cord or the wood.

4. SonsOfLiberty

Blog Posts:
    Ok. Should it be basically tiwistes so tight it’s hard to spin?

5. rcwells

rcwells Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yep

6. Luchtaine

Luchtaine MOA #22 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Yes, get it to the point it's hard to make the last turn. If it seems like you are making it way too tight that is the point you're trying to get to.

EDIT: you should be able to strum the blade and it should almost sing when it's tight enough.

SonsOfLiberty likes this.
  7. Adventure Sworn

Adventure Sworn Cody Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the help here guys - yes, you twist it surprisingly tight. To the point where, if it flips out, it spins and snaps with a pretty descent amount of force. We use 850 test paracord so breaking really shouldn't be an option. To date we have ever had a bucksaw or cord break from over-tightening.

This is a little confusing to explain, but: even at maximum tightness, you may notice a slight gap between the handles and the crossbar. This is okay, as long as the gap is open towards the paracord side. If there is a gap open towards the blade side, that would mean that as you tighten the toggle, the tensions will be primarily applied to the crossbar itself, and very little applying to the actual blade, which could result in bending during use. But with a slight gap open towards the paracord side, it allows the tension to skip past the crossbar (using it like a pivot point) and apply to the blade itself. This would be better to explain in video, that's for sure. lol

SonsOfLiberty and Swadehead like this.
  8. SonsOfLiberty

Blog Posts:
    Cody thanks for this reply. I didn’t see it until last night. I realized I didn’t have the wooden spinner piece oriented the right way, and it also wasn’t right in the middle of the string. I think I was afraid to twist it so tight and have it snap. I fixed the wooden spinner piece and twisted the hell out of it and all the play is gone between the joints now. Please disregard the email i sent.

Since this thing came with no instructions, you guys should really consider make a YouTube instructional video for people and include a piece of paper in the box that says “check out video for instructions” it would probably save a lot of time fielding emails from newbies

9. Andy 315

Andy 315 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Actually Joe Robinet has a real good video on the AS Bucksaw.

SonsOfLiberty likes this.