bucksaw sharpening tools

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by cbrianroll, Dec 7, 2018.

1. cbrianroll

cbrianroll Professional Tinkerer Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Maybe not the correct terminology...a while back I posted a got a cheap 4ft bucksaw....read a bit...sharpened the teeth pretty good I think....but, I never got to doing anything else. Now I cant remember the terminology for joining, setting, rake, etc...I'll Google that later lol..but can someone point me in a good direction to where to buy cheap decent tools to make this usable?? Maybe some pics to help my brain also lol...

Thanks a bunch..

SmilinJoe likes this.
  2. haunted

haunted Guide

Blog Posts:
    lehmans used to carry the needed supplies for a fair price.......................didnt say cheap

3. Staleym

Staleym Scout

Blog Posts:
  4. ATsawyer

ATsawyer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ebay, where I buy all my saw filing tools. For a small saw you need a combination jointer/raker gauge like the Simonds 342 and a spider ($) or dial gauge($$$) to measure the set of your teeth. You'll also need a small faced hammer and a hand anvil. Some of this stuff can be home made. My anvil is an old hammer head. Any 8" mill file will sharpen the teeth, but you'll want to grind off the corners (safe the file) to prevent them from gouging the sides of the teeth. I used a cantsaw file in the vid because it's what I had at the time

The attached video is a bit dated but it shows the steps for filing a small saw. Warren Miller made a much more thorough tutorial for 2-man saws, also available on YT.

Quinlan, cbrianroll, BBizy and 2 others like this.
  5. cbrianroll

Blog Posts:
    Thank you kindly gentleman! I only followed the forest service guide so far, s thanks for those links. Now I'm off to ebay....

Quinlan likes this.
  6. cbrianroll

Blog Posts:
    How is a simonds 340 compared to a 342? Not havi g much luck on ebay with 342 lol

Quinlan likes this.