Bug Out Bags Are Deadly

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Watcher of the Woods, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Watcher of the Woods

Watcher of the Woods Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Hey all,

I have spent so much of my life researching bug out bags, what is the best gear to go into them, etc etc. I have also, spent endless amounts of money on gear that sat un-used in a closet. After 12-13 years of this, I think I finally have figured out something that works. I have wanted to make this video for a long time, but just now figured out how to put it into words. I hope you enjoy it, thanks for watching!

2. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Indigenous Skills Junkie

Blog Posts:
    Cool vid man! A lot of really good points you brought up. I have the EXACT same philosophy as your "grab and go" method. I thought of getting a bug out bag but ultimately decided against it because I always have a couple bags packed and ready to hit the woods with anyways. Seemed easier to just grab the gear I use on a regular basis and put together a kit/pack real quick than have a dedicated bug out bag. I don't own a lot of stuff and what I do have is almost all outdoor gear and is well organized so my situation lends itself well to the grab and go philosophy.

I'm really not much of a prepper but as a semi-intelligent human I have and do think of the worst case scenarios and what I would do in those situations from time to time. Keep up the good work :D

3. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    Use it/Use them.

Go through your kits.

Problems solved.

The "Deadly" part is unexplained.

"Post apocalyptic situation" ?

4. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm a lot less organized!

My "system" if you can even call it system, is to keep stuff in my vehicle, pantry, garage, office, etc. It makes for a redundant amount of stuff but it's a lot easier to already have it at your finger tips than need to go get it.

Maybe some day I could be that disciplined and organized!

Winterhorse and blind & lost like this.
  5. Keithturkjr

Keithturkjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    Video is unavailable now.

I can say what think about BOBs though.
    Any BOB that weighs more than 10 lbs needs to packed in a way that makes it floatable. Water features prominently in bug out situations.

Many buyout bags (yep I said buy out bag) on YouTube are bags full of toys and sponsored products. You are likely to find something neat to buy, occasionally see a decent product review(everything is always awesome and you need it according to most reviewers), but it’s rare that they actually have a good BOB.
    Usually if you have to bug out it’s natural disasters.
    Im personally kinda resistant to bugging out. It’s screwed up, and I don’t wanna do it lol.
    Bugging out in hurricanes and floods reminds me of moving a whiny girl into a crappy trailer in the middle of a thunderstorm.

I’d definitely take my pack, but the best bags are giant flyers kit bags, big duffel bags, and giant Rubbermaid totes.
    A extra box of garbage bags won’t go to waste.

A really good prep is choosing a bigger vehicle. Try not to bug out if you can, but do not wait until you can’t drive out.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    kronin323, DomC, holygoat and 5 others like this.
  6. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    ^ I second all of that times a million. If you have to "bug out", the shit's not only hit the fan, it's flown into everyone's face and the existence of our species has gone from solid to questionable in the near future.

On the YT bug out bag vids, I agree- I watched one the other week where the presenter displayed a low cost and mid cost (his interpretation of what that actually meant in terms of dollars spent) bags... it was under $100, and under $500. Then showed his own BOB, cost? Over $3000. uh-huh...

Bugging IN is my first and main choice- moving to a second or third location is up next, and that means down the road to my In-Laws house, or an hour north to our cottage on the lake (Fresh water for the win!) and in the woods. The cottage option could be considered bugging out, but since it's a second home, I don't count it as such depending on if we planned to return the primary residence.

Bugging out to me means you are now a nomad and living out of your supplies on hand or carried in your vehicle. That's a bad spot to be in. One would hope to team up with friends, family or like-minded others and build a semi/full permanent housing or makeshift village long before it got to that. Safety in numbers and all that.

rustystove2017, JeffG and operatord like this.
  7. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    The Chagrin River enters Lake Erie in Eastlake, Ohio, just east of Cleveland. Years ago, a bridge was built over the Chagrin in Eastlake. Every other Spring or so, the ice breaks up on the Chagrin, jams on the abutments of that bridge, backs up the Chagrin, and floods parts of Eastlake. It behooves those living it the flood zone to have bug out bags, with no relationship whatsoever to he existence of our species .

Then we have the folks living in fire, hurricane and earthquake zones. Power may go out, making dwellings temporarily uninhabitable; it has happened (Think 2003.)

Being prepared to move on short notice is not necessarily related to TEOTWAWKI.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  8. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    JeffG likes this.
  9. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My bugout bag is my bedroom.

10. moab

moab Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I think the really smart preppers have a BOL. And that's why the bug out bag is so important. It may be a small cave miles from your ranch. It may be a lakeside second home in the country. It could be a couple acres and a storage locker. But getting to it affords you something you've lost at your current place of residence. Safety from; Flooding. Earthquake. Fire. Looting. The list goes on and on. And even then you have to have plans for your plans. Like a GHB (get home bag). To get from your place of work and to your home. So you can either bug in or bug out or both. And then a VBOB (vehicle bug out bag) that not only includes your bug out items. But also a means to work and feed your vehicle.

I wish his video was still up. What happened to it?

JeffG and Wasp like this.
  11. Uncle Duke 520

Uncle Duke 520 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Wow, folks live where water is accessible year round ? Come to the Sonoran Desert and we will talk 'Survival' Lol!

Paul Foreman, atlastrekker and JeffG like this.
  12. thisjohn

thisjohn Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Anyone know if this video is available anywhere else?

13. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  14. Watcher of the Woods

Watcher of the Woods Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys. The YouTube nazis took it down... When I tried to fight it they said it had "links to racist organizations". What??!! Maybe I'll re-do the video sometime.

15. Black5

Black5 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My bugout bag is now an 18 ft lightweight self contained camper.:)

One of my BOLs is a two bedroom mobile home on a 1/4 acre lake lot.

I still have my homestead with livestock and garden.

But bugger me if I don't still work 180 miles from home.:mad:
    If the S htf during the week, and it's an EMP, I'm hoofing it. So I put lots of thought into my Mega GHB. It must change with the seasons. And since some low life wastes of sperm and egg stole my truck in Dallas a couple months ago, they got my summer kit.

So, its rebuild, rebuild, rebuild.
    One should never be satisfied with their bag. Always improve!:cool:

The Woodsrunner and Ptpalpha like this.
  16. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Are there links in it? If not, upload it again, with a name like “how to enjoy yoga” and all will be well.

TAHAWK, Ptpalpha, JeffG and 2 others like this.
  17. Chevrolet4x4s

Chevrolet4x4s Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Paul Foreman and NevadaBlue like this.
  18. JeffG

JeffG Scout

Blog Posts:
  19. oathkeeper762

oathkeeper762 Bushbum & PT Wanderer Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I’m not a big proponent of bob’s but I do believe in keeping a get home bag in my truck. I try to keep it light, under 20lbs, and it also serves as my day use bag for hikes and bushcraft outings, and when hunting season opens I make a few extra mods and I’m ready to go. All the gear is well used, pre-vetted, and I’m very familiar with each component. The best part is, I’m always ready if time permits to sneak in a quick hike or an opportunity for a little dirt time.

I’m always amazed at the number of YouTube videos I see when the self proclaimed “experts” go over their bob’s or ghb’s and all their gear is pristine and unused. I would hate to find myself in an emergency situation with unproven gear or gear I have no experience with. JMHO.

Black5, JeffG and marbleman like this.
  20. pb0201

pb0201 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    No!!!! That's why I live where I do!!! Have a small enough place to heat with fallen branches if needed. No chainsaw need and not much physical energy expended to survive long term! Low pop. density.

21. Uncle Duke 520

Uncle Duke 520 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I was born in Chicago, in a log cabin I built myself so Back East is far too cold for me.
    Now if you will excuse me, a Gila Monster is making off with my coffee...

22. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    My BOB, is my day hike haversack, that I keep in the truck.

oathkeeper762 and Winterhorse like this.
  23. pb0201

pb0201 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You were born in a cabin you built yourself?

Winterhorse and dub like this.
  24. manitoulinbound

manitoulinbound Apple Fritter Lover Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Chuck. Freakin. Norris!

Ptpalpha, marbleman and Winterhorse like this.
  25. Uncle Duke 520

Uncle Duke 520 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yes....yes I was..

Ptpalpha likes this.
  26. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    Robert Strauss, regarding how some politicians portray their self-reliance.

But it fits Norris better.:D

27. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    What ever you've constructed , carry it every day , review it as the days pass and make adjustments . learn, practice.

oathkeeper762 likes this.
  28. Uncle Duke 520

Uncle Duke 520 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I must be tired, I thought the subject title said
    "Bum Out Bags" and started giggling!

29. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    Very good point, but there is the expectation that they'll be returning home. I get what you're saying, and it's not wrong, but "bugging out" and bug out bags in general are almost always spoken about in the context of a breakdown in society and governance, not localized and temporary disasters. That's the mindset I was speaking to; my mistake for not making that clear at all.

It's easy for me to forget that some may need to temporarily scoot due to such events. I do not live where it floods (despite being 1 mile or so from a large river), no hurricanes here, no earthquakes, tornadoes are rarer than hen's teeth. Power outages and blizzards is about as bad as it gets here. I need to try and stop thinking inside a vacuum, or using my own perspective. Apologies for that.

30. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    My thoughts on the subject for what it's worth, are, that a BOB was, to return when danger passed, or until one got to their next destination. Where as, an INCH (I'm never coming home) bag, would have to include much more supplies. At my age I would have to have my truck in there some place.

31. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My bug out bag is the same as my every weekend bag.

32. The Woodsrunner

The Woodsrunner Possum Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    NOOOO!! I wanted to watch the video and now it is unavailable

Edit: I just saw your comment above. Dern it.

33. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    I carry a get home bag every time i' leave the house,
    this is gear that in some catastrophic event occurs and transportation is dead along with the grid , and I'm on foot, I have what I believe I need for the trip home, average maximum range of about 50 miles .
    Another thing I consider is upon getting home it is either taken or destroyed ..

There are to many circumstances that can change ,but ideally things might remain intact hidden rooms still remain hidden .
    your preparedness now is essential .

If you are skilled it is posable to barter for he things you need, but that is no guarantee

If you are among people ,you can be inadvertently drawn in to their direction, not that it's bad, but you should know how to fade out if things get dangerous.

Getting home will take longer than a hike as the crow fly's post SHTF just avoiding trouble along the way .

Bugging out is a whole different problem depending on the permanency of the event .Floods fire or pandemic, it is possible there is no coming back for any thing .
    That kind of bug out you'd best take all your gear. a cart would be advisable if driving is out of the question .

Here's the problem though ,for all the food and water your going to need for in indefinite bug out, you can't carry that much, and with the abundance of others expecting to run to the woods and live off the land, it will be pandemonium in the woods.
    I have a neighbor that thinks that if things go south he will go out where he usually hunts and get a deer ,
    there are 72 thousand other folk that hunt the same area .
    No doubt people will band up and hunt for food and others that might have something . they are doing this now in south America it's no pipe dream.

If your hoping your dogs will be a good alarm system , all that is , is providing food , Unless the dogs are trained to alert you without barking . Doberman are good for this
    I have come to realize that as the world changes I will have to change with it . ( not the compromise to immoral values), but in commerce and trade and strict standards others will be pressuring to stretch the limits, be from your own group or strangers.