Bug Out Build Rebuild

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by RangerWeaver, Oct 1, 2017.

1. RangerWeaver

RangerWeaver Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    After being challenged by @Primordial to rebuild my bug out bag after having to suddenly evacuate my home before Irma would make landfall. I was given the needed push to get to this... So I finally did it this evening.

So here is my bug out bag list -

Listed in no particular order:

Packed in a Military Tactical Backpack

· Used surplus military net hammock

· Poncho – Rain gear/rain fly

· 50’ 550 cord

· 1960’s era #5 cast iron 8” skillet

· Stainless steel mug

· Penny stove with fuel

· 14 mixed tea bags

· Water purification tablets

· First Aid Kit with Trauma Kit

· Tan Shemagh

· Fiskars X7 hatchet – handle wrapped in paracord

· Surplus Air force issue Knife

· Rothco knife – handle wrapped in paracord

· Altoids survival kit

· Bow saw blade

· Hack saw blade

· 3 days worth homemade freeze dried/just add hot water meals

· The Day Zero Bow Making Guide

· Flint and Steel

· Box of matches

· Wire saw

· 4 bandannas

· Leather bound note book

· Wooden pen

· Inspection flashlight

· Hight output flashlight

· Multiple carabiners

· Duct tape

· Compass

And I have shelter and 3 days worth of food for the rest of my family members in a trunk in my SUV.

For shelter I have a used BSA 8’X8’X6’ wall tent from my local scout reservation and two dome tents.

Here is a photo of my pack all zipped up.
    20171001_003552.jpg

2. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout -MOA #17-MYOG #71- Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Well done weaver, well challenged @Primordial!

Now let's see it in action!

3. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze Usual Suspecto Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    How heavy overall?

4. RangerWeaver

Blog Posts:
    Listed in no particular order:

Packed in a Military Tactical Backpack - I've been using this bag for over a year now and have grown fond of it. It has multiple pockets and molle webbing.

· Used surplus military net hammock - I mainly use hammocks while camping or even just to rest on a day hike due to my back injury.

· Poncho – Rain gear/rain fly - Light weight and a multi use item!

· 50’ 550 cord - I love 550 cord as it has oh so many uses.

· 1960’s era #5 cast iron 8” skillet - Even though it has some weight I LOVE to cook with cast iron and prefer it over other metals due to personal opinion.

· Stainless steel mug - This should speak for itself.

· Penny stove with fuel - easy to make and a light weight cheap stove with the ability to burn almost any fuel.

· 14 mixed tea bags - I'm a tea addict.... I'm actually drinking a cup of mint tea as I write this.

· Water purification tablets - This should also speak for itself.

· First Aid Kit with Trauma Kit - I'm a certified Emergency Medical Responder.... so this should speak for itself as well.

· Tan Shemagh - Multi use item: scarf, bandage, sling, water filter, dust mask... Etc.

· Fiskars X7 hatchet – handle wrapped in paracord - I found this hatchet at a second hand store and its the perfect weight even as a backpacking hatchet/axe.

· Surplus Air force issue Knife - Well made sheath knife.

· Rothco knife – handle wrapped in paracord - a good back up knife.

· Altoids survival kit - I always have a SAK in my pack just in case.

· Bow saw blade - I carry this so I can process wood with ease while not having to carry a bow saw handle.

· Hack saw blade - Again so I can process wood with ease.

· 3 days worth homemade freeze dried/just add hot water meals - Should speak for itself.

· The Day Zero Bow Making Guide - I prefer to hunt with a bow and this guide gives me a few options to build them.

· Flint and Steel - I prefer flint and steel over a box of matches.

· Box of matches - I prefer a box of matches over a butane lighter.

· Wire saw - I always carry a back up way to cut/process fire wood or materials for a emergency shelter.

· 4 bandannas - One is a star map, one is a survival manual. and the other two are cotton ones I use for sweat.

· Leather bound note book - Speaks for itself

· Wooden pen - Definitely speaks for itself... look at the previous item...

· Inspection flashlight - Has a bright narrow beam thats great when trying to find something or not wanting someone to see your light when working.

· Hight output flashlight - Bright wide beam great for everything.

· Multiple carabiners - I love carabiners.

· Duct tape - Multi use item. cordage, bandage, and just extremely useful all around item.

· Compass - I use a compass and map more than a GPS.

5. RangerWeaver

Blog Posts:
    18 Lbs .2 oz

6. RangerWeaver

Blog Posts:
    It may take some time since most of the local and state parks in my area are still closed due to storm damage.

7. Natch

Natch Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you aren't using a water filter I might consider adding some coffee filters to go with the bandanas to get some of the junk out.

8. Lichen

Lichen Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Toilet paper unless that's what the bandannas are for.

9. Mcpanther67

Mcpanther67 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I would switch out the cast iron skillet for a stanley pot. Also in an all business bug out bag I would have some more "Sure fire" fire starting methods other than matches and f&s. bic, ferro rod, some type of guaranteed tinder.

10. RangerWeaver

Blog Posts:
    Good idea. I'll add some to the kit.

well it's still a bit of a with in progress. I'll have to put singe tp in there as well.

I've used Stanley pots before and my preference is still with the cast iron. And in my SAK there is a fire kit with a butane lighter, magnesium block and Ferro rod. Just didn't mention them since they are in another kit within my BOB.

Lichen, FIELDCRAFTLTC, Natch and 2 others like this.
  11. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Good job repacking and taking inventory. Now we need to see your plan about securing what you leave behind.

12. RangerWeaver

Blog Posts:
    I cut the power off at the breaker boxes which are hidden behind a false wall. The water is cut off before and after the water filter which is also hidden behind the same false wall in the garage. All my exterior entry doors have been replaced with hurricane impact rated doors and the two door garage door is a 1k lb hurricane door that is braced into the surrounding cinder block walls and the cement foundation. The Windows are boarded up with plywood and 2x4s using 3 inch long security screws. And all entry are secured with sand bags to keep out water.

What I would do different next time after my last and first experience evacuating would be to empty to The refrigerators and freezers and leave them open so they don't end up smelling like road kill and so we don't lose over $1k worth of food and $2k in appliances.
    And I would leave a house key hidden behind so we don't have to mail one down so a family friend can get inside the house to inspect the damage and get the power and water back on before we came back home.

13. RangerWeaver

Blog Posts:
    I would also before we left raise everything in the garage at least a foot off the ground as at some point during hurricane Irma we had around 1 foot of water in the garage. Which in turn has cost me some of my gear and a good deal of my automotive tools.

14. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    @RangerWeaver , good work. Now maybe others can take some info from this and learn from your experience too.

RangerWeaver and ArmyMacE like this.
  15. Foilist

Foilist Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've got a version of that bag that I have used for several years as my general woodsloafing pack - Condor Medium Assault.

RangerWeaver likes this.
  16. RangerWeaver

Blog Posts:
    Its a great pack. I've been using my BOB as my woodsloafing and hiking pack for a few years now.

17. FIELDCRAFTLTC

FIELDCRAFTLTC Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    What is the capacity of your pack? Dimensions?

18. RangerWeaver

Blog Posts:
    Here are the specifications -
    Compact Assault Pack Features:
    • Genuine Crye-Precision Multicam
    • 18 by 10 by 5 inch main compartment with one zippered and one mesh pocket
    • 15 by 8 by 2 inch secondary compartment
    • 4 by 7 by 2.5 front top compartment
    • 10 by 8 by 2.5 inch front bottom compartment
    • Hydration compatible
    • 18 by 10 by 10 inches-1362 cubic inches overall

FIELDCRAFTLTC likes this.
  19. RangerWeaver

Blog Posts:
    Anyone have any other items they would recommend I add? I mostly use this bag as a "grab and go on a day hike" bag. Toilet paper and other stuff like that are in a trunk in my Bug Out Vehicle.

20. Greebe

Greebe Non ducor, duco. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think it would be fun to put together a pack like that, however I don't have the need to bug out, I plan to bug in if the need ever arises.

FIELDCRAFTLTC likes this.
  21. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Guide

Blog Posts:
    Having gone through the evacuation scenario, too, may I suggest copies of important documents on flash drives (one or two in pack, one or two others in safety deposit boxes or somewhere out of town)?
    Pictures, house info, professional certifications/licenses, financial documents, medical history, etc.

22. RangerWeaver

Blog Posts:
    That probably would have been easier than carting around a 60 lb tote full of paper

LongChinJon likes this.
  23. RangerWeaver

Blog Posts:
    Well with hurricane season looming around the corner (officially starts this weekend) and the fact that I got a new to me truck back in February I've started making a bug out vehicle. It needed a decent amount of work when I got it (good thing I got it in a trade). Most of the front end was worn out and needed replaced and the head gaskets were blown allowing coolant to mix with the oil. So I fixed it at work the day I registered it with the state.

Already installed my CB in the truck, added aux lights in the grille and bed, started wiring in a 7 pin trailer harness.
    Made a first aid kit for the truck, put together an automotive repair/tool kit, threw in my wall tent and the wooden poles.

Since Irma we still have all the important documents and priceless family photos packed in totes ready to go.

Just need to get some clothes together so that I'm ready. And if we have to leave again we will be renting an RV fro the family and towing one vehicle behind it and I'll be towing another behind my truck.

We are mostly ready for this season to be as bad as or worse than last year.

24. NJStricker

NJStricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A truck opens up some possibilities. I've added a tow strap and plan to get a come-along for mine.

25. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I shopped pretty hard for a decent storage box for my truck, and ended up getting a couple 35 gallon Rubbermaid Action Packers. Heavy duty, won't break the bank, and so far I have no complaints.
    I keep them secured in the front of the bed with cinch straps (under a locked hard tonneau cover).

26. RangerWeaver

Blog Posts:
    Forgot to mention that I have recovery and tow straps (they are different. Recovery stretches tow doesn't). And I have 2 - 2 ton come-along s in my tool box along with road flares and tire plug kit.

I have a set of Husky tool boxes I used for work under my lockable vinyl tonneau cover and I'm planning to get the insert to make the tail gate lockable.

27. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @RangerWeaver it all looks great to me. I am in the Midwest USA, about as far as you can get from a hurricane (except for the West Coast). Yet, I have a strange fascination/fear about hurricanes, they are an alien thing to me. In the Midwest, tornadoes can be a terrible thing. Only an hour or minutes notification, yet a tiny swathe of destruction. A hurricane seems a large area of slow-moving disaster.

I post repeatedly here for several years about Listening To Katrina. There are several good concepts, that apply to anyone that is concerned about realities. It's a long read, but worth reading in order. I have no affiliation with that site, it just has several things that impressed me (and that I do).

28. ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan Scout

Blog Posts:
    So when Irma came did you bug out to the woods?

29. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @RangerWeaver The "Listening to Katrina" guy had some good ideas about evacuating, when you hope you can come back. Put one ice cube in your freezer out by itself (or in a bowl). If you have to leave and come back later, and the power is on, the fridge is cold, you won't have to wonder "did it all thaw, and then re-freeze"? The single ice cube will be gone, or a re-frozen puddle in the bowl.

EDIT: I see you have some NightIze Figure 9 carabiners. I love those. I have lots of the smaller ones.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Midwest.Bushlore likes this.
  30. RangerWeaver

Blog Posts:
    kinda. Ended up in near tobacco farms in North Carolina. End will probably end up there again this year.

When we leave we turn off the power to the house and the water. We learned from last year to empty out the fridge and freezer of all food and leave open. But if we didn't turn off the power both of the A/C units would have been toast and the water lines were both damaged where they went into the house.
    Down here if the power goes out in a hurricane like last year its out for weeks at a time. during a tropical storm the power usually doesn't go out and if it does its for a short time.
    I've been living down near Tampa Florida since 2002 and have only evacuated once and that was last year just before Irma hit us.

31. RangerWeaver

Blog Posts:
    Next step with the Bug Out Vehicle is to get the rear tires replaced before the rainy season starts. And then I'm adding more gear to it.

32. RangerWeaver

Blog Posts:
    Well I have a quick update...
    Ended up replacing more of the front end. Both upper control arms needed replaced due to the bushings. And the master cylinder failed going 70 MPH down the highway. And to top it off the battery died so it was replaced and the side post terminals were both replaced and new brass hardware.

On another note I wired in a LED fog/driving light into the grille, wired LED brake/turn signal lights under the tail gate and wired in a RV 7 pin trailer harness. And I managed to find a complete tire jack kit with the plastic cover at a salvage yard.