Bug out vest/coat?

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Fink, Jun 11, 2019 at 11:39 PM.

1. Fink

Fink Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What is the feasibility of building a sturdy, well made, multi internal pocket, layer able vest or coat that is low profile and have weather repellant properties?

2. Fink

Fink Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I guess what I was wondering there anything like that out there or has anyone made anything like this?

3. Red Wing

Red Wing Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Arcteryx Atom Lt

Just got mine today. Fits the bill perfectly. Old models are same specs just old colors, way cheaper.

4. Harper

Harper Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 1:11 AM
  5. Fink

Fink Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was thinking about building one from scratch with milspec webbing on the interior as "the framework" to sew pockets to from chest height down to where the hand pockets to. Then work on the outer shell. I think in this way you can place some of the most immediate important stuff and not cause sagging and let everyone know you are loaded with stuff and not cause alot of strain on your shoulders and back.

6. Fink

Fink Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Keep in mind I am a complete novice at something like this but I am going to give it a shot.

blind & lost likes this.
  7. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Heres a problem... any sort of load pulling on the webbing sewn to the panels of a single layer jacket is gonna make it obvious, not to mention the stitches would be another giveaway.. you'd want a strong fabric to support the webbing; most jacket liners arent that strong.

A better idea...
    Something similar to this.
    http://www.arktisltd.co.uk/index.php/products/m675/

It is basically just real wide elastic webbing with stitched bottom edge and stitched dividers to store things, usually mags, radio, pistols and the like.. one could do something little bit similar...

Or you could just use a standard cotton "survival vest"/photographers vest?

Use a mesh vest design as the basis, and sew pockets for your stuff, maybe sew the vest to the jacket shell but I am of the opinion layers would be better and having the pockets on the outside of the vest instead of on the inside would work better, so as not to crush stuff

blind & lost likes this.
  8. Fink

Fink Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was thinking sewing outer shell to the top of the webbing on top of the shoulders leaving it floating down the body but again it's just a theoretical idea.

9. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Well let me pose a question to you. If you need to add insulation, or change the level of outerwear, or change up the jacket for any reason, what would that leave your items in the webbing/inner vest at if they are permanently attached to the jacket?

10. Akela

Akela Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think John D McCann did something kinda along those lines in his book Build The Perfect Survival Kit, using a Cabela's Safari Vest, if I recall it correctly.
    Maybe it Could give you a couple ideas to think about, and then modify to fit your own needs.

blind & lost and Unistat76 like this.
  11. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I believe Creek Stewart is currently writing a book on this very subject. No idea about release date though.

blind & lost likes this.
  12. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    I like the idea of the Q.U.E.S.T. vest on the link above, but think if carrying a water bottle inside would make the outside look bumpy.
    in years past, I used to use my old fishing fest. Wasn't stealthy by any means, but when I was jeeping and camping I didn't care to be stealthy. My fishing vest had plenty of pockets, for my FAK, matches/lighter, my plastic camo rain poncho compass, the little wax/newspaper strip fire starts I made then. Bandanna etc..

Harper likes this.
  13. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    In Idaho, packed away, I have a Filson tin coat that I had three pockets sewn into the inside of the coat. On the left, along the seam under my arm is a long skinny pocket that holds a sheathed 3.5" puukko. Just it front of that is a smaller pocket that holds two Glock 43 mags. The right coat pocket was enlarged and a heavy piece of canvas, doubled over to hold the plastic clip of a kydex IWB holster and a Glock 43, was added. The coat is bulky and a bit stiff even after 11 winters and hides all nicely. The hand warmer pockets are large to begin with and could hold energy bars and a small fac. When in the woods, I have a small compass on a break-away lanyard around my neck and a small E&E pack that holds more food, water and a Goretex poncho. That is my take on the question. I believe if I had to use it in a bug out, speed and weight would be more important to me than a lot more gear. I don't run very fast anymore...

Regards,

ezra

14. Fink

Fink Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Heck guys and gals I just don't know.

15. Creaky Bones

Creaky Bones Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    5.11 makes a really nice vest with a ton of pockets. You can buy them new https://www.galls.com/5-11-tactical-vest or they’re often on eBay used. I really enjoy the water bottle pockets on the back. I wear one on early morning dog walks. Not exactly what you were looking for, but it would be pretty unobtrusive under a wind shirt.

16. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use a Filson original hunting vest. Unfortunately it is no longer made. It holds a lot of gear and was made from oil finished canvas.