Bug Out Walk and Talk. Snow and Slush.

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Woods Walker, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Woods Walker

Woods Walker Rattlesnake Charmer. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Seeing how today the last (maybe) of my snow and slush is melting better talk about this before summer. I am not a believer in the solo backpack survivalist. Man or women tosses on their pack then runs into the woods to escape the zombies, pandemic flu or whatever. It just seems like going from bad to worse. I prefer to have a safe stocked location setup with friends and family around me. People I can trust. That's how it has been done from the beginning of time so why change what works?

But this brings up an issue. I am not always at the bug out location. Often I am some miles away with highways, streets and dirt roads to traverse. Even during the best of times roads can be closed or traffic jammed. All it takes is one car or tree and it's game over. So I have plans which involve traveling on foot. It beats sitting in the truck waiting to die.

However in a disaster why would things be going your way. Why would the weather be nice. It seems trouble travels in packs. One can expect things to suck. Maybe it's just entropy. Who knows but considerations should be taken for safe walking. Slips, trips and falls are not action packed like being attacked by a bear, zombies or looters but far more likely IMO.

The gear.

1. You are your best gear item. Consider this. What makes someone think they can walk out into a professional baseball game and compete. Why do people think they can play goalie in the NHL without training and practice? No. You will get beaten.... badly... The same applies to traveling with a BOB over snow, slush and mud for miles. If the first time you do this is on game day you are going to get beat. You need to be physically able to do it. This more than anything will help mitigate the risks of mechanical injury. Get at least 10,000 steps a day even if not training with a pack. For this conditioning outing I did more.

[​IMG]

People do even more all the time. It's not all that hard with training but naturally consult a doctor etc etc etc.

[​IMG]

2. Gear.

I always try to pack a PSK, knives, light, extra garments etc etc etc.

[​IMG]

But that's not what I am depending on to get me through the snow, slush and mud. Every often conditions can change within less than a mile. One area might be relatively dry and the other not so much. Just depends on elevation, exposure to sun and time of year. Here is what I use to keep from failing when the snow isn't deep enough for snow shoes. The micro spikes can be seen on my feet. They're lots of versions including yak tracks etc etc etc. Worth having when dealing with snow and ice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gaiters turn even marginal boots into something more. They keep snow and muck from going into boots and shoes. Very often the lower areas of the legs are subject to getting the wettest. Gaiters help greatly in that regard. They also take up very little pack room.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They're easy to put on or off.

[​IMG]

Trekking/hiking poles. If yea don't have a set even a field expedited hiking staff helps in challenging conditions. 3 points of contact tends to be better than two. These have saved me more than a few times.

[​IMG]

The blow down on the trail got worse in this area so that was a good excuse to stop and cook some food.

[​IMG]

Had plenty of tinder nearby.

[​IMG]

Enough wood.

[​IMG]

That's good enough for a day camp.

[​IMG]

2. Woods Walker

Woods Walker Rattlesnake Charmer. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Fire!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trail was hard becasue of a few storms. Imagine this was a road during an ER. Odds are it would not be passable by car. Odds are no one would be doing anything about it in a bug out situation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Get out of my way!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bottom line.

If bugging out on foot is part of your plans physical training helps. Also gear to reduce the risk of falling. It's easy to concentrate on what's in the pack rather than what's on your person.

3. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Nice pictures and interesting thoughts.

4. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Good post. A modicum of physical fitness is perhaps the single best asset a person can have, period. A little bit of decent gear can enhance that by a significant margin.

bacpacjac, rsnurkle, will62 and 5 others like this.
  5. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I don't see the Sacred Bacon! But since you had a steak I'll let it slide.;) Nice pics!

Woods Walker, bacpacjac and rsnurkle like this.
  6. will62

will62 Guide

Blog Posts:
    You brought up some good points, thanks for posting.

Woods Walker, bacpacjac and rsnurkle like this.
  7. atlastrekker

atlastrekker Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    You bring up some great points in your post. Practice is what makes plans real, whithout first hand experience you really don't know what to expect. I try to do bug out training two or three times a year in all different conditions, and have learned quite a bit about my capabilities while doing them.

Woods Walker and bacpacjac like this.
  8. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    definitely agree that heading out into the woods with a 90 lb pack and "surviving off the land" is not a very likely scenario; romantic in a sense, but definitely not practical

on the other hand getting from point A (work?) to point B (home?) in a emergency becomes a much more likely scenario

fitness will be your friend; having appropriate clothing and some well chosen items will increase your odds as well

9. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've fallen in love with the gators which are built into my winter adventure and snow pants. Now I'm on the hunt for a stand alone pair like you have for the the warmers months. My micro spikes don't fit on my new hiking shoes, so I'm on the scouring the seasonal clearance racks for a new pair, and appreciate the thumbs up for yours. Travel safely, my friend!

Woods Walker likes this.
  10. Mannlicher

Mannlicher Guide

Blog Posts:
    and yet................folks have been forced for one reason or another, since the earliest cave man days, to 'bug out' in a time of crisis. Trained, educate, practiced or not, most probably survived. :)

11. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze Usual Suspecto Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    i always have steak with mushrooms when i bug out ... and my feet are always dry and warm !