Bugs

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Tampajimmie, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Tampajimmie

Tampajimmie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    wondering if anyone tarp camps in Florida without bug netting. I’ve tarp camped in other states without full bug protection, but our fire ants keep me from trying it here.
    So i guess the question is, can you do it here with bug repellent and if it’s colder?

Kreger likes this.
  2. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    From flying ones sure, don't even need bug repellent. If you lay down near ants though, all bets are off.

Luzster and Kreger like this.
  3. Tampajimmie

Tampajimmie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Ants are what have been keeping me from tarp camping in Florida.
    Last year i was on a backpacking trip and was using my rain poncho as a place to sit around the fire. When i retired to my tent, for some reason i took my poncho inside instead of leaving it in the tents vestibule. Well, the bottom of it must have been covered in fire ants because i got eaten alive while i slept. Woke up the next morning with tons of ant bites. But, they didn’t bit my forearms and legs from the thigh down. That’s where i had bug spray. So I’ve been wondering if i treat my ground cloth and my clothes, if i won’t have to worry about ants.

Kreger likes this.
  4. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze Usual Suspecto Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    the fire ants bit you.... while sleeping and you kept sleeping... ?
    Damn!!! bro

5. slysir

slysir Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've lived and camped in Florida for 20yrs...sleeping out in the open especially in the summer is not a risk worth taking!!

There is no total deterrent for ants, skeeters, snakes and spiders. There will always be some price to pay!! I sleep in a tent, and eat in a pop up screen room.

-John

6. Luzster

Luzster Of course your opinion matters, just not to me... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That sounds more like either fleas/sand fleas or chiggers @Tampajimmie. If you got tore up by fireants and you didn't wake up....then you were either in a coma, drunk as heck/passed out/or you sleep like the gods man!! Fire ant bites are painful...

One tip I use, even when out in the field with my NG unit is dog flea/tick collars around you ankles, just above your boots. Not directly on your skin, but over your pants/socks. Those thing work on everything! You can go with them on your wrists too if you want, I can't stand them on my wrists (personal thing).

7. Tampajimmie

Tampajimmie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yeah. It’s definitely possible that it was something other than ants. I was also very surprised that i didn’t wake up. Definitely looked like fire ant bites, but I’ve been wrong before. Just ask my ex wife. Haha

blind & lost, wingnuts and Luzster like this.
  8. Tampajimmie

Tampajimmie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I ask this bug question every now and then because i get jealous of guys in northern states that can sleep under tarps.
    I’m always hoping for some magical solution that really just isn’t there.

9. Mannlicher

Mannlicher Guide

Blog Posts:
    first you have to check your campsite before setting up. Second, at least for me, a good dose of Deep Woods Off eliminates the bugs. I often sleep on a ground cloth under just a tarp. Ocala NF, Osceola NF, and other sites in North and Central Florida.

10. Swampdog

Swampdog Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    If you did not see fire ants then it could have been chiggers, aka. redbugs.

Check out: www.chiggaway.com for a good product to use on insect bites to relieve itching and irritation.

blind & lost likes this.