1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Building up a 10/22

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by werewolf won, Aug 23, 2017.

1. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I know there are a few old threads on 10/22 builds, but I’d like to see what is out there today. I built up a hunting 10/22 with a Green Mountain mid weight barrel (that they don’t seem to offer anymore). That rifle still delivers near match level results, even with lesser quality ammo. I love it but I’m interested in building up a target rifle; mainly for range shooting but my club does put on a handful of informal small bore shoots throughout the year.

I’ve secured a Fajen Legacy stock that is nicely adjustable and will fit the large sized barrels.
    fagin.jpg
    So if you were building up a 10/22 today what would you use or have you used?

2. NJStricker

NJStricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My 10/22's are all older and are hunting rifles so I've never had a strong desire to tweak them. I do have one with a stiff trigger (a 1972 model I picked up used that honestly just needs to be broken in). If I did anything it would be to upgrade the trigger and drop the whole thing into a Choate chassis with folding stock.

marbleman, pab1 and werewolf won like this.
  3. Donald Devall

Donald Devall Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If I could afford it, Kidd. Their triggers and barrels seem to be very highly thought of.

4. x39

x39 Guide

Blog Posts:
  5. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    I put a Volqurtzen in my last build and it has worked nicely. I was thinking about a Timney for this one because every one of those I’ve used on center fire rifles has worked out really well. I’ll have a look at the Ruger one and the Kidd too.

brionic, gwynn1975 and pab1 like this.
  6. Donald Devall

Donald Devall Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Also check these folks out. They are very highly thought of on the Rimfire forums.

https://www.brimstonegunsmithing.com/collections/ruger-10-22

7. Grouse870

Grouse870 Scout

Blog Posts:
    pab1 and werewolf won like this.
  8. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a couple, slowly having fun improving them. No target masters here, just basic ones with some easy improvements.

Tech sights (8″ longer sighting radius), extended mag release, recoil buffer and a few Volquartsen bits. As mentioned, Volquartsen/Timney/Kidd are all good trigger groups.

10/22s are pretty much Tinker-Toys for adults, it's easy to put together so many combinations that are better than original.

9. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    So I’m going to need another 10/22 to be the organ donor. Am I better off with a stainless or blued receiver? Is there even a difference beside the color? Or am I better off in the long run just getting a Kidd or similar receiver, rather than disposing of 95 percent of a new Ruger?

pab1 likes this.
  10. mortblanc

mortblanc Scout

Blog Posts:
    Basic problem with the 10-22 is that it is a $250 rifle that requires $400 in parts to make it a good shooting $200 rifle.

11. NJStricker

NJStricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I really can't agree with that.

12. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    There's allot of truth in that statement, I have a standard model and the Sporter edition, both late '70's early '80's era, both have been good plinking and hunting guns, both have had minor problems that needed to be addressed now and then, both have been well used, neither have been ultra reliable in stock form.
    That said, I also have a '60's era Remington model 550-T semi auto, it shoots shorts, longs, and long rifle ammo interchangeably, and a Remington Nylon 66 semi auto .22RF.LR., both have been highly reliable, neither have ever experienced a failure after thousands of rounds being fired through them.
    I have several other .22RF. rifles by Marlin and Stevens/Springfield that have been basically trouble free, my latest .22RF rifle is a S&W M&P AR-22, it's got several boxes of Winchester, Federal, and Remington bulk pack ammo through it and has not had one hiccup so far.
    In my experience the least reliable .22RF rifles in my collection are my Ruger 10/22's, I keep them because they are rugged little guns that have respectable hunting accuracy, are easy to work on, fairly simple to modify for target use, and after market parts abound.

Now, if I were to invest a few hundred dollars in parts to tweak each of my 10/22's I'm sure that they would be just as reliable as all my other .22RF rifles, which speaks to Mortblanc's point.
    But I shouldn't have to. :12:

Lichen, pab1 and werewolf won like this.
  13. urazmusbdragn2

urazmusbdragn2 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Here's something for those who don't want to part out 90% of their 10-22: http://www.ct-precision.com/ruger10-22.html

A friend had his done, was pleased with the results. I'll check with him on what kind of grouping he is getting now.

Just checked, he's been working a lot and hasn't run any rounds thru it yet.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  14. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Kidd really is a good operation. They're machining and bore dimensions (tapered with a lap) are benchrest quality. Excellent threading, and trigger feel. Can't say enough about them,.and will always use them for 100+ yd plinkers. They have a massive following on the rimfire central forum for a good reason. I have used green mountain, but over the course of 15 years they haven't been consistently precise.

Ruger 10/22's can usually be improved for about $40 in bedding, brass tubing, 1/4" delron, and sandpaper. A good torque wrench is also a must for tight groups, as well as a good scope base, rings, and scope. There's a hump in the front of the receiver that needs to be addressed, and the base should be bedded to the action afterwards. You can use a cleaning rod through the barrel and mark off a center line on the rear of the action to drill a 30cal hole for proper cleaning of the bore every 700rnds or so. There are also bolt face squaring procedures, extractor tuning, and rear chamfering that can maintain it's excellent reliability even with the tighter tolerances. The possibilities are endless with a 10/22.

I've seen 5-shot sub 1" stockers at 50yds many times, but a proper barrel by the two mentioned will get you in the sub MOA at 100 club if the rifle is set up properly. The benefit of either form of 10/22 is that they rarely break, and their vast numbers make it possible to keep them running forever.

As far as having to sink big bucks in one to make it reliable. I have never seen or heard of this taking place. Clean the mag, the rifle, and buy good ammo. If it still isn't reliable then buy a new Claw extractor for less than $20. I know there are certain rifles that can shoot anything reliably, but there are also certain rifles that hate cheap ammo. The 10/22 if enhanced for less than $40 should run subsonic all day without failure.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    werewolf won, pab1 and marbleman like this.
  15. americanstrat98

Blog Posts:
    Que's barrel/bolt service is discontinued as of now. CPC has the same packages as Que had, and seems to be a pretty good option for getting a stock 10/22 into the 1/2"@50yds club.

http://www.ct-precision.com/crown.html

werewolf won likes this.
  16. instructorzero

instructorzero Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You seem to know a bit about tuning 10/22's on the cheap. Perhaps you could start a thread for us novices with the improvements you'd make on a $50 budget. I'm going to start work on a 10/22 soon, just picked up a TacSol barrel yesterday, and was just thinking to myself how much I could squeeze out of one for a few bucks.

werewolf won and 2stoves like this.
  17. jerome

jerome Scout

Blog Posts:
    I second brimstone gunsmithing. the tier 3 basic trigger job is a real bargain.

ozarkhunter and werewolf won like this.
  18. americanstrat98

Blog Posts:
    I'm not one for reinventing the wheel. A professor in college taught us that knowledge is knowing how to find the answers , not necessarily knowing all the answers. Here's the resource I've been using since I was about 16years old. Good luck, and be careful. Modifying rifles can be fun but dangerous as well. Know your limits.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/#/forums/220

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    Plainsman and werewolf won like this.
  19. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Another vote for Brimsone Gunsmithing!
    https://www.brimstonegunsmithing.com/collections/ruger-10-22

I got the Tier 2 trigger job done. I don't shoot paper. I shoot critters. My trigger went from "meh" to "oh yeah". I got the standard sized trigger replacement (included in the tier 2 job). There is no creep, breaks at 2.6 lbs with no over-travel. It makes you keep your finger off the trigger until time to shoot. First time out I had my finger hovering over the trigger... or so I thought. I didn't realize I had any pressure on the trigger when it fired. It has made me more aware and careful with all of my firearms. I also added a skeletonized/oversized charging handle and magazine release lever. I had planned on a lightweight bull barrel to improve accuracy. For my needs, the trigger job improved accuracy to the point small game will be in trouble this fall.

werewolf won likes this.
  20. werewolf won

Blog Posts:

I'm not there either.

A real target rifle from one of the big three is a $3500 bill and you still need another $500 to a grand for the sights; and another grand or better for the clothing, slings, pads, matts ,stands etc to get that accuracy out of it. I own one, I’ll make someone a hell of a deal to move it along :D I don’t need that kind of precision to shoot eggs, steel or paper at informal club shoots; these days I’m in it for fun not money, fame or medals.

You can certainly go overboard rebuilding these ½ inch guns. If you use your head you can make a fine shooter without breaking the bank, or visiting a gunsmith however.

21. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    pad broken.jpg

Off to a bad start. the stock arrived with this unmentioned break in the butt pad holder. The seller is telling me it's built to move it's adjustable. I'm telling him yes, but it's moving more than it should :D He's playing coy with me now. I love the stock, but doubt I'll ever find a replacement part for it.

22. mortblanc

mortblanc Scout

Blog Posts:
    All this circular logic is sensible if you worship at the alter of the great black bird, but in the real world you have spent $150 for a barrel, $160 for a stock, $260 for a trigger and added it to a $250 base gun.

Reselling one of these home builds for what you have in it is apparently impossible because I have never known anyone to do so.

Or you have spent 50-75 hours in your workshop doing work on the innards of the beast yourself, after spending more time than that educating yourself on the processes in the attempt to "save money", been there, done that.

Will never do it again.

I coulda' hadda' CZ !!!

Donald Devall, Gumbi and werewolf won like this.
  23. Butler Ford

Butler Ford Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The 10-22 is a tinkerers dream, lot's of cheap parts readily accessible and a ton of gunsmiths that will do the things that you find above your skill level. What is there to tinker with on an Anschutz? You want 1/2MOA without doing anything to it, stay away from the 10-22. You're never going to get your money back out of it, that's not the point. I spent $400 on a $200 gun but gained experiences I would NEVER do to my $2000 guns.

BF

24. Donald Devall

Donald Devall Tracker

Blog Posts:
    What he said.

However, for some of us, the fun is in the tinkering, and practicality goes out the window, no mater how hard we try to convince ourselves otherwise.

I totally understand both sides. :D

25. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    greenmountain.jpg

Ordered the barrel yesterday. A Green Mountain Running Boar model. It's a standard taper bore with the last 4" expanded out to the heavy target barrel diameter. Said to give you a nice weight forward stable feel without the weight of a length target barrel. We'll see :D
    It will not fit right in the Fajen stock, so I may end up building two 10/22's instead of one.

26. americanstrat98

Blog Posts:
    Lol, noice. That tends to happen.

It's ironic that you made this thread. My wife just last week asked me to set up a 22 for her to compete in CMP. I chose the 10/22. Ordered a Kidd taper barrel and single stage 3.5# trigger. She can't have my rifle. It's a 1984 DSP with walnut stocks and Tech-sights. The barrel has been set back by Clark so it is a sweet shooter. I've always liked the weighted barrel you chose.

Also I would take the rear apart on your stock. If that is aluminum it can be welded for less than $10 at a Fab shop. Then it's just file work to make it smooth again for reassembly. May have to use a Dremel on the hole for the nut.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    werewolf won likes this.
  27. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    I just came back from the metal shop. It's a crappy cast aluminum and they are not sure it will weld well, but they have another solution we're going to use. It should be stronger than the original and still look good.

Moe M. and americanstrat98 like this.
  28. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    This happens/happened to me many times! I try a part like it but not of that build so on the shelf it goes... later I see all these spare parts...so I build another!! :D:D:D:4::rolleyes:

LOVE building 10/22's! I have a couple too... :rolleyes:I have a 20" bull Green Mountain barrel that is marvelously accurate!
    Sorry to see the broken butt plate... frustrating for sure.

For me lately these MagPul stocks do what I want!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CW

29. NCLivingBrit

NCLivingBrit Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've been building a 10/22 for rimfire 2 gun competition and I did it on the cheap for what so far has been good results.

Youth barrel 10/22 that came with Williams Firesights and an adult stock. I polished the bolt and replaced the charging handle with an extended one by JWH. Added a Kidd bolt buffer and a Ruger BX trigger and when it arrives I'll be dropping it in an Axiom stock.

This gives me a light handy rifle with a decent trigger. So far I've spend less than $170 on parts including shipping. I traded the rifle for a CZ82 I had and traded the goofy BX25 double mags it came with for clear Ruger factory 10rd mags.

americanstrat98 and werewolf won like this.
  30. Timex

Timex Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just received my Ruger 10/22 LVT. Tapered (not target) barrel and upgraded trigger . I will sight it in today and follow up with a picture.

31. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    Picked up a new 10/22 carbine for parts donation. What a difference this one is compared to my 1990 one. Lots of plastic parts that were metal on the old one, like the barrel band and trigger assembly. both of those parts are going away. The stock was pretty crude comparing the two of them as well.

I'm on my way at any rate.

americanstrat98 likes this.
  32. americanstrat98

Blog Posts:
    The good part about the plastic trigger housing is the trigger return spring tunnel is very smooth and can yield a great trigger job. Also I've heard that the Kidd trigger job kit only works reliably in the plastic version due to the tighter tolerance.

-84' Deluxe Sporter, with a rechambered factory barrel, Kidd trigger 3.5#, super stock mods.
    -Wife's CMP rifle with a Green mountain sporter, Kidd 3.5# SS trigger, super stock mods
    -CZ 452, bedded, yo-dave 3.2# trigger, rust blued action.
    - The Kidd barrel turned out to be too heavy so we will use it for a future build with this target stock, and metal housing.
    DSC_0001.JPG

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    werewolf won and Hevijunk like this.
  33. Dualsport225

Dualsport225 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I love those walnut sporter stocks!

34. wisconsinwalter

wisconsinwalter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    IMG_2983.JPG @werewolf won, not really built up, but Gander Mountain was closing and had the Archangel Nomad for $60 so I had to get it!

Will be a pain to clean but it looks so cool!

werewolf won likes this.
  35. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've had several 10/22s throughout the years. I consider them to be one of the best 22s for the money. Ruger makes some quality firearms.

The most accurate .22 I've ever owned is my T/C Contender Carbine in .22 lr. Even though it's a single shot, I've made some amazing shots with it using iron sights. I have always planned on putting a good electronic sight on it, but have never had the mone when I had the urge to do so.

Steve

36. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    BOYD.jpg

Another component selected. I want a lightweight rifle that feels and handles like a heavier one. The barrel I picked is a lightweight for most all of it’s length, only expanding to the .91” diameter of a target barrel for the last four inches. I wanted a stock that was a light in the butt as I could get and that meant a skeletonized model. I also wanted as much of the barrel to be free floated as I could get. This Boyds model did both and it gives me the thumbhole and vertical pistol grip I am accustomed to from my target shooting days.

This does not come with any sling swivel studs, I may install the flush button style and I just might mount a biathlon style sling on it as well.

37. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a simular stock on a Marlin. I do like it allot!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CW

38. NCLivingBrit

NCLivingBrit Guide

Blog Posts:
    Forgot to post my finished rifle!

20170905_183514-1.jpg

39. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    I looked at that model too. I decided on the one I did mainly because of the right handed thumbhole option. Your model is more useful if you need an ambidextrous set up. I’m glad to hear you like it, I was really on the fence about it’s off normal looks.

40. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    It’s rare that I bitch about things, but Boyds’ QC has sure slipped since the last time I purchased from them (about two years ago).

The stock is as advertised color and lamination wise, but the finish looks like they were sanding right next to it while the varnish was still wet. A lot of rough spots that will sand out, maybe even rub out with a bit of steel wool, but I’m paying for a finished drop in stock. The inletting is where the problems really start. It’s going to require more than a little sanding to get a nice clean fit and finish on that front. I often like fiddly work, but I paid for someone to do it this time. Photos to follow, It will end up looking like a custom rifle when I’m done but I’m less than delighted at this point.

On a bright note I shot the barreled action in another stock to start breaking in the barrel. I got a sub ¾ inch group at 50 yards with the first 10 rounds I sent into the target, and the second 10 were just a hair over 5/8th inch. It takes a while to break in a fresh barrel, shooting and cleaning after every round, but I find the results worth the effort in the long run.

americanstrat98 and NCLivingBrit like this.
  41. Medic17

Medic17 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    @Cwlongshot
    Can you tell me a little more on your takedown?
    What kind of stock is that?

42. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
  43. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    Took about 20 minutes to clean up the stock, no big deal. It has an amazing muzzle heavy feel, but it's overall weight is rather low, just what I was trying to achieve. I have a green tipped bigger bolt handle coming in and I have to decide on a sling system, but for all intents she is done.

americanstrat98 likes this.
  44. americanstrat98

Blog Posts:
    Is the the Nikon EFR Rimfire optic you have there?

werewolf won likes this.
  45. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    Yes, nice scope for short money!

46. americanstrat98

Blog Posts:
    Yeah we've got one locally for a good price. I was thinking it would be a good optic for the wife's CMP rifle. The dot did look a bit small but easier for her to align with the bull's-eye than a simple duplex. Great set up!

werewolf won likes this.