Bush Craft Dementration Campout for July

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by dadman, Jun 11, 2018.

1. dadman

dadman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    After having a great campout last weekend we had several discussions. One being how few dispersed camping areas there are here in Ohio. The state park was fun but we weren't allowed to forage for wood for the fire well legally anyway. There was no place for hammocks. But we made the best of it.

We also talked about having an outing that was concentrated more on people demonstrating their skills and less about dispersed camping, sense Wayne's is a little out of way for people.

So I would like anyone who has a skill they would like to share post on here, also post what materials you want people to have so they can follow along with your demonstration. We will probably be limited on what we can get from a state park.

I will find a group campsite that we can camp at and I will cover any cost for the site and bring water for everyone. I would want to do this the last 2 weeks of July, 20,22 or 27 to 29th.

Any skills are great, cooking, rope knots, light weight camping, knife sharpening skills, plant identification, fire-starting kills, anything you think would be beneficial. Canning and long term food storage would be great. Home made bug repellant.

Even if you cant stay the whole weekend and just stay for a day that would work. Let me know.

2. The Woodsrunner

The Woodsrunner Bush Nerd Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    What general area are you thinking of?

If it is anywhere on the eastern half of the compass from Columbus, I am highly interested.

Winterhorse and central joe like this.
  3. dadman

dadman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I am open to suggestions, I’m thinking southeast area, if you know of any good spots let me know.

4. NattyBo

NattyBo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You might want to post in "PA" as well. I know we have a lot of members on the border who have gear and will travel.

central joe likes this.
  5. The Woodsrunner

Blog Posts:
    Oh, I don’t. Just moved here a few months ago. Maybe @Blackhawk45hunter knows areas.

Blackhawk45hunter likes this.
  6. hlydon

hlydon Scout

Blog Posts:
    SE Ohio has unlimited options with Wayne NF. I’ll plan to attend the next event.

7. DennisC

DennisC Tracker

Blog Posts:
  8. The Woodsrunner

Blog Posts:
    I'll be spending the weekend there in a couple weeks with a few buddy's from my church youth group. I'll be sure to scout it out. I hear there are a ton of ponds well stocked with fish.

If I understand right, there are designated areas to camp in at night, but not a state park level camp ground. I'll know more in a couple weeks.

DennisC likes this.
  9. Blackhawk45hunter

Blackhawk45hunter Pronounced sim-bee-duh Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I’m mostly familiar with Wayne National Forest, but if that’s on the list then I’d recommend Utah Ridge Pond

10. dadman

dadman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I was trying to find a central location so we could have more participation. Maybe if we did a roll call and everyone told me what city they live in would make it easier to find a location.

Also please let me know if you will demonstrate any of your skills.

Thanks

Jim

11. hlydon

hlydon Scout

Blog Posts:
    I’m in SW Ohio. I’m good with anything in southern Ohio—state park, Wayne, Zaleski. I have no skills.

12. dadman

dadman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I had a few mention Utah Ridge Pond, they only have a day site no group camping sites, you can camp out off in the woods but there are no trails currently. There is a lot of private land around that area so it if your not careful you could be in someone’s back yard. I called down there, spoke with one of the guys there are apps you can get that will work with your phone that can tell you if your on private land or not.

There is good fishing at the pond, so might be a good way to demonstrate some cleaning and cooking of fish. Would be a good spot too learn some map skills with or without GPS. I have talked to one of the bush crafters who has a degree in forestre and is going to try and make down he has a lot of knowledge of the plants in the area who is willing to lead some hiking.

For all that is following please help get the word out, if we cant get enough participation we might need to cancel or change plans.

Jim

13. jswi2374

jswi2374 Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'm in and can demo some camp cooking, flint and steel, lightweight camping, psk / fak, whatever. (Not that I'm an expert in any of those topics!)
    I'm near Dayton, birthplace of the pop top.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018 at 8:59 AM
    CowboyJesus likes this.
  14. dadman

dadman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for jumping in there, if we can get someone who is good at cleaning fish that would be great. Fishing is supose to be really good at the pond.

Fire starting would be another good one. Any one else of some ideas?

15. jswi2374

jswi2374 Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Orienteering. I used to know map and compass, measuring distances, etc. but that was years ago and I need to relearn all that stuff. It's a great skill for when you're off trail.