Bush medicine... For dogs?

Discussion in 'Bush Medicine' started by ilovepierogi, Jun 25, 2018.

1. ilovepierogi

ilovepierogi Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My dog suffers from pretty bad skin allergies, especially this time of year. Sometimes, like right now, he starts licking himself so fervently that he creates bald spots. The vet says all they can do is give him steroids, but then he becomes a ravenous eating machine and it's really not good for any creature to be on steroids all the time.

So, right now he is very itchy, and may have given himself a yeast infection where he keeps licking. Anyone else have similar problems, and/or possible solutions?

2. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Has the dog been checked for food allergies? A lot of them have a problem with all the cereal fillers in their food and bones. You’d think food issues would mean stomach issues but a lot of it displays as skin conditions. I know of one that has problems with wheat, and it seems every donut shop wants to give him a stale donut as a treat, the guy who owns it is constantly telling these good hearted people to not feed the dog, his wife is not as strong willed so the dog from time to time just about scratches his hide off.

central joe and Harper like this.
  3. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
    +1 on food allergies.

You might want to look into colloidal silver spray.

Not a vet, information not meant to diagnose, treat, cure, etc.

4. ilovepierogi

ilovepierogi Tracker

Blog Posts:
    He does have food allergies, but, to that end, I switched him over to hypoallergenic food, pretty much potatoes, salmon, and peas. It seems very seasonal being that he's been just find for the past several months. He just started getting bad again this week. I'm still a broke college student until December, so I can't afford to get him the full allergy test to find out exactly what triggers it right now...I feel awful, but I just don't have $500, or as I like to call it "rent", lying around right now.

central joe and werewolf won like this.
  5. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You can give your dog liquid benadryl, there are dosing instructions online. I have been giving it to my dogs for their whole life when they need it. I have a bottle of benadryl, adult asprin, and tums just for them. I also got an epipen which is just the medecine in a vial and a needle ($30 from the vet).

For the benadryl, it will make them sleepy and maybe a tiny bit unsteady for the first hour, but not drunk. You need to know your dogs weight which you can find put from your vet.

You still need to find the underlying cause of the itching. Alergic reaction to food, grass, or is it just nerves?

central joe likes this.
  6. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Well it was a thought. I think with the advent of so many GMO components in the diet now a lot of new allergies see to be popping up every day not just in people it seems too. This time of year there is a lot of plant pollens in the air, I wonder if that might be the cause??

central joe and Harper like this.
  7. ilovepierogi

ilovepierogi Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Pollen is my best guess @werewolf won. If I get money for graduation, it's all going to get spent on a full allergy panel for this little turd 20180524_171025.jpg

$300 soft shell dog bed...

Bronco68 and werewolf won like this.
  8. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yep, food is usually the #1 culprit. And make sure his treats are hypoallergenic as well. No corn, wheat or soy. Those are the three main ingredients dogs are allergic to.

I know a couple people whose dogs suddenly developed allergies at 5-6 years old. One was a purebred Lab. He was allergic to Berber carpeting and KY blue grass, both of which his owners had. The other was a mutt. She was allergic to everything, including dirt. The Lab needed Apoquel and the mutt needed allergy shots every month, just like a person.

I knew someone whose dog got 7 benedryl in the morning and 7 at night. A black shepherd mix about 60 lbs. And several times a year the owner took him into his vet (who had prescribed the benedryl dosage) and got steroids shots.
    He finally switched foods and treats after three years of me knowing him. The dog's hair came back and the allergies left. Needless to say the guy switched vets.

But dogs can get seasonal allergies just like people. They might be allergic to several things, but then there's that one thing, like pollen, that comes along and sets them off.

9. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    I would still try colloidal silver . It can't hurt and it's good for a lot of other things as well .
    DSCN4125.JPG
    Hard at work.

Bronco68 and Harper like this.
  10. Papa Tac

Papa Tac Guide

Blog Posts:
    Get some Bio-iodine - aka povidone/ine, biodine, etc.
    Mix some in a cup with 50% water.
    Use a clean cloth to scrub the animal's affected parts, soaking well and scrubbing firmly to the Skin.
    Then pat dry.
    The Vet (!?!) told us about this medicine, we used it on our GR's very similar-sounding condition, and we never needed any medicine.
    Even if you do need Meds, this is a great product for general health care. It can be diluted further for use in ears, as a dip for feet, etc.
    Just remember, the stuff stains a little, but does wash off eventually.
    Its the same stuff surgeons use before they chop us up, and may be used to purify water (IIRC).
    With this and Apple Cider Vinegar, we have any skin problems licked...

Bronco68 and okapimike like this.
  11. Bronco68

Bronco68 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    A good hack for removing Iodine stains is to crush a couple large vitamin C tablets and dissolve in warm water (dionized works best) and pour it on the stain. The Iodine combines with vitamin C and forms a sodium salt of Iodine, which is colorless. The fabric, paw, or expensive lightly colored clothing will return to its original color.

....and you'll be a hero. :D

whtshdwwz and Harper like this.
  12. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts: