Bushbox vs Firebox

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by JosephDurham, Nov 13, 2017.

1. JosephDurham

JosephDurham Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    For those of you that happen to own both of these brands of stoves which do you prefer and why?

2. trust_no_one

trust_no_one Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I only own the firebox stove. I settled on it after lengthy research and comparison. I am happy with my purchase and it is serving me well.

3. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I own a few firebox stoves, the ability to quickly fold out the stove works for me. I like the firestick concept and the different accessories with one of my favorite being the mug/cup adaptor.

4. WildMedGuru

WildMedGuru Scout

Blog Posts:
    firebox has much more options, thus more capable cooking methods.

bushbox though...........I'm still just impressed with the design / maybe just slightly more heavyduty

5. Oni

Oni Scout

Blog Posts:
    I own the Bushbox XL. I like it a lot. Very nice design and I have zero problems with it.

I suspect it is a Ford vs. Chevy thing. Each will have it’s own fans and detractors.

I will venture to say you would probably be very happy with either Stove, they are both nice designs and work well.

I do want the Bushbox LF in Ti I must say though!

I enjoy Steve from Firebox Stove’s videos, they are fun and informative to watch.

6. Wolf427

Wolf427 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I looked at both, and did some research. They are both great stoves. What took the cake for me was the accessories and the ability to quickly fold and unfold.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I bought a firebox gen 2 lol.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  7. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have a 5" Firebox with a bunch of accessories. It is a great stove in all ways but weight. I also have the larger Emberlit Ti stove for comparison. Firebox has a bunch of versatility over the Bushbox but you can get the LF and XL in Ti of course at premium pricing though.
    I go back and forth about getting a LF Bushbox in Ti. But, I see that the Bushbox XL Titanium is not all Titanium with the bottom plate and trivet still being in stainless steel. Titanium will warp with enough heat and the XL stove size probably didn't fair well on those critical parts with that heat so production model is a blend of both Ti/SS.

From the Purcell Trench Grill website.
    http://www.purcelltrench.com/grills.htm
    There is some benefit in sticking with stainless steel for Hobo stoves when increasing the size to the larger stoves. With my laser temp gauge I've had over 950°F in thin fire flames alone.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  8. Eric Westbrook

Eric Westbrook Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have the 5" Firebox, only improvement would be weight. Its a very versatile cooking machine and pretty much bomb proof.

There will be no Ti 5" Firebox, so don't wait around for it. Steve did a bunch of testing with various thicknesses and couldn't keep them from warping, of course his final test is to fill it with Kingsford, light and let'er burn. That generates some crazy intense heat that it could not handle.

9. WildMedGuru

WildMedGuru Scout

Blog Posts:
    Another thought
    -I've literally fed the Bushbox XL stainless steel version for HOURS, yes hours (2 at least) straight...... basically just feeding twigs into it killing time one evening, It never warped any, so that should help convey the durability.

Disclaimer
    - I own both BB and FB / I've just never pushed extended fire time with the FB in comparison yet.

10. Oni

Oni Scout

Blog Posts:
    I’ve used charcoal and the extended grill on my XL to cook up some hotdogs for the kid, no warping at all.

I’ve also used alcohol stoves, Trangia and Evernew with good results. Used some tent stakes through the holes in the Stove made for them to rest my canteen cup on too.

Reason I chose the BB XL over the Firebox is the XL is symmetrical. Guess I’m picky, but the asymmetrical Firebox just looks a little strange to me. Works awesome though!

Most likely end up with a Firebox someday as I’m a gear junky...

11. Traditionalist

Traditionalist Scout

Blog Posts:
    Funny you mentioned the symmetry.............it pokes at my OCD too. I still went with the Firebox though. It’s heavy but also heavy-duty and versatile, and supporting an American family. I admit that the middle size Bushbox in Ti has my attention but I already have a Ti Emberlit and Firebox Nano so honestly I have all the bases covered already.

12. Andster

Andster Scout

Blog Posts:
    This post needs pics

13. JosephDurham

JosephDurham Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I agree :)

T. Pollock and Tangotag like this.
  14. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    LOL I've been looking at both these stoves (online) for more than two years now, I would prefer a US made product but the wonky look to the Firebox drives me and my OCD crazy! :dblthumb: So here I sit going on 3 years later with neither stove... yes I'm a picky rascal. :33:

ETA: In my defense of not having one yet, trying to live off a disabilty income doesn't allow the kind of funds to buy both to try out, so I'm watching this thread with great interest.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017 at 1:02 AM
    Eric Westbrook and JosephDurham like this.
  15. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  16. Kurt992

Kurt992 Guide Lifetime Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Here's a video that @BushTramp did on all of his twig stoves. I don't know if it will help, but it's worth watching.

Kuhlwind, Andster, T. Pollock and 3 others like this.
  17. vdeal

vdeal Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have an Emberlit Ti full size that works great. I've been looking at the Firebox Nano for some time now. I really like how it folds up and stays in one piece. I think the odd shape has to do with that. The Bushbox wouldn't get me anything over the Emberlit and the feeding port height doesn't seem as good to me either.

18. WildMedGuru

WildMedGuru Scout

Blog Posts:
    Fine
    I'll stepforward too
    Symmetry sold me on BB XL

-the FB is great, but the crooked design looked like it was always warped which drove my OCD nuts.

19. Traditionalist

Traditionalist Scout

Blog Posts:
    The floodgates have opened..............OCD loves company!

20. Eric Westbrook

Eric Westbrook Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Guess I didn't notice it wasn't square, most things in my world are a little cockeyed so it seemed to fit right in.:4:

Oni, T. Pollock and JosephDurham like this.
  21. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I didn't notice it until I got it either. You don't notice it when using it, but that's not saying it doesn't bother me a little. Plus it can get a little puzzling inserting the ash catcher (for instance) to make sure the angles line up and whether to push it in left to right, or right to left, as being odd shaped (trapezoidal?) it will only go in one way.
    But the feature of the long cooking grate actually snapping into place leaves one less thing to worry about if your pots aren't perfectly centered.

T. Pollock and JosephDurham like this.
  22. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    So glad I'm not the lone ranger. :4:

Oni likes this.
  23. Judge

Judge Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Hi, my name's Chris...and, and I have OCD.
    I first noticed my condition shortly after I got married. It started simply enough. I recognized it when I started making sure that I did the dishes before the wife got a chance to.
    I mean, there is a logical way to load the dishwasher right? And, and when you put the knives in the block they all go in certain slots AND all the blades face right....I'm not crazy right?...

That being said I own 2 5" Fireboxes and a Nano. The simplicity of function and the fact that the stoves were purposely designed with their shape to allow them to fold, store and operate the way they do is what keeps my OCD from kicking in with them.