Bushbox vs Firebox

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by JosephDurham, Nov 13, 2017.

1. xCSSx

xCSSx Go outside! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I can only speak for the FireBox Nano Ti...but so far I am very pleased with it!

2. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:

Update... well after my long journey of indecision :3: and with many thanks to @bartman who was willing to do some trading with me I am now the proud owner of a folding 5" Firebox Gen 2 stove. I got a chance to try it out at last weekend's Dirt Time In TN meet that I hosted. I have to say the build quality is even greater than I expected (and I expected it to be pretty dang good) and the stove works great... burning clean, efficiently and down to nothing left but very fine ash. If you can't already tell, I'm very pleased! My OCD (about the wonky asymmetrical shape) will just have to get over itself. :dblthumb:

IMG_7574.JPG IMG_7575.JPG IMG_7576.JPG IMG_7577.JPG

3. bartman

bartman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @T.Pollock...im glad it worked for you.

GreySwampFox and T. Pollock like this.
  4. Eric Westbrook

Eric Westbrook Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Works pretty good for a crooked stove eh Tim ?...:4:

GreySwampFox and T. Pollock like this.
  5. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Yeah man! :dblthumb:

6. Foilist

Foilist Guide

Blog Posts:
    I picked up a Bushbox here from the Trade Blanket. Tried it for the first time today.

Pros: compact, versatile, does the job.

Cons: a little delicate. Small size means I have to feed it constantly.

Overall, I think I'll enjoy it but may move up to a larger version.

20180203_115354.jpg 20180203_113018.jpg

marokero likes this.
  7. JC1

JC1 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have the CORE firebox, I really like it except it can be a PITA to assemble. You guys have turned me on to some great looking folders so I will be upgrading soon

The cooking videos are great, keep'm com'n

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    xrayit, Phisikos and BalsamFur like this.
  8. Phisikos

Phisikos Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was going to throw that into the conversation, I use a CORE M4 (smaller version) and love it. Assembly can be a little tough at first but with a little usage I can have water boiling about as fast as my hiking comrads can using a fuel cell. (Ok I had to use a wetfire to start it in order to keep up!)

Great stove though, smart design, and as UL Ti stoves go it's cheap. Small company, website is very slow to load otherwise I'd link it... Check out MySurvivalPack.com if you have the patience!

9. JC1

JC1 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I ordered the 5" kit w/baking kit, has anyone else made this order and did it come in two packages?

10. AngryDaddyBird

AngryDaddyBird Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Both are similar but the gen 2 firebox has lots of options and upgrade from gen 1. Both heavy duty. You’ll be happy with either. I have both. My choice is either one. Meaning whichever I grab first.

11. JC1

JC1 Guide

Blog Posts:
    This may sound like a stupid question but how do I get the roof rack to stay on top of the 16cm pot that came with the 5" firebox??

12. AngryDaddyBird

Blog Posts:
    092BF7D4-A265-416F-8C20-4DA8DE36F3A4.jpeg
    The ends of the wire rack go into the zebrapots handle mount. Hope this helps. I’ll take pictures if you need it.

13. JC1

JC1 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I do that and it slides off to either side, does it snap in somehow?

EDIT: LOL, I had it upside-down :confused:

xrayit likes this.
  14. AngryDaddyBird

Blog Posts:
    Glad you got it working.

15. mountain joe

mountain joe Scout

Blog Posts:
    I own one of the Bushbox XL Stainless and I own two of the Firebox G2 5". Both brand stove are extremely well designed and well built. After owning and using both brands, My favorite is the Firebox G2. It just seems like a more rugged stove built to last a long time especially if you take care of it. I like the versatility of the Fb vs BBC. I like the fact that the Fb ash pan is removable so that it can be place down low to get your stove load of wood burning fast but then the ash pan can be moved up to just underneath the burn floor to cut off air flow from underneath to maximize stove fuel load burn time. The Fb has two small fuel feed holes which at first thought would seem not to work as well as the Bb single large feed hole but i have changed my mind and really appreciate the two smaller feedholes where they are placed. The Fb hole placement works very well for a more consistance fuel feed and burn rate by allowing long sticks to lay in place to be shoved in as they are consumed. The Fb also has a larger feed hole as well at the top of the stove. I like rhe design of the firestick trivets of the FB better than the multi slotted trivets of the Bb. The Bb trivets seem to get jammed up too easily and become difficult to remove or move. Below is a video that me and my wife just did where we baked yeast bread, moose steaks and boiled carrots on the two Fb stoves

16. marokero

marokero Tracker

Blog Posts:
    6E820B30-8EBF-47DA-8996-78D8F11E9A85.jpeg 25EC9F55-0C9D-4EB2-A6A7-11150D07D27D.jpeg I have yet to bring my Bushbox XL Titanium to camp, but I have grilled saussages in my backyard, and had a fire going for a few hours without warpage of any of the titanium plates. I thought about both bushbox or Firebox, but the deciding factor was definitely setup time. The Bushbox you basically shake to assemble, turn upside down and shake to disassemble.

JosephDurham likes this.
  17. Skruffy

Skruffy Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Most of the state parks I hike do not allow open fires outside of designated campsites/fire rings so I have a Bushbox Pocket that I use with a Trangia. It has worked great for me. Occasionally I get the chance to use the twig stove to have tea/coffee/cocoa while out on other trails. I have a Firebox Gen 2 5 in my shopping list that I'll buy after a I get a couple more knives. :4:

Bushbox Pocket Stove.jpg

marokero and JosephDurham like this.
  18. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I own a couple Core wood burners, nice stoves but ... Getting all of the afterburner pieces to fit is challenging at times.

JosephDurham likes this.
  19. marokero

marokero Tracker

Blog Posts:
    7C1ACFA3-9620-477A-8144-39488360099E.jpeg My first official camping with the Bushbox XL Titanium. Nothing unexpected, except the ease of finding readily available fallen branches. Made my morning much more enjoyable :)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  20. marokero

marokero Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Here's another one from another camping trip. Coffee always tastes best when done over an open fire, early in the morning, and before anyone else wakes up ;)

IMG_3731.JPG

GreySwampFox and JosephDurham like this.
  21. BalsamFur

BalsamFur Not a duck

Blog Posts:
    Quote of the week.

marokero and JosephDurham like this.
  22. charlesmc2

charlesmc2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    All the OCD remarks remind me of one of the all time great TV series, Monk. OCD. Obsessive compulsive detective. Far and away my favorite TV series in the last 25 years. Nothing bushcraft about him--nature is too, well, dirty.

Also reminds me of Virtuo Vice. Don't think he is OCD, but if I ever let someone else sharpen my knives he would be the guy. But he likes Firebox.

Sorry to bump an old thread. No, I guess not.

Traditionalist likes this.
  23. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If you missed it in another thread, I've got a Bushbox XL now.
    And I much prefer everything about the BB. It seemed to have a much nicer flame and was easier to bring back from near death.
    Well, if there's one fault with it, it's the way the "trivets" attach. After using the stove I had a heckuva time getting them snapped back into place. I'm sure that will fix itself with use.