Bushcraft and 4 wheelers

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by James of Arc, Aug 18, 2019.

1. James of Arc

James of Arc Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Who uses 4 wheelers to go into the woods to bushcaft or bug out?

How do you use them such as do you tie equipment to 4 wheeler racks or do you just wear backpack while riding?

Do they aid in anything?

What do you like to ride in the wilderness (such as Honda Recon, Kawasaki Bayou etc)?

Back50, buckfynn and Jim L. like this.
  2. crewhead05

crewhead05 caffeine, nicotine, knives and nature. Lifetime Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Great way to get farther back to remote places that fewer people go to. I had a yamaha grizzly while in alaska, had a bag on the back of the machine that held most everything i needed. I could still lash more gear to the front and wear a pack when necessary. Wish i still had it but other priorities are being filled right now.

dial1911, JasonJ, Back50 and 2 others like this.
  3. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use my Polaris 500 to scout hunting country, and to haul my camp into remote places down really crappy roads. Then I turn it off and don't turn it on again until it's time to go retrieve meat, or pack up and leave. Elk hate 4 wheelers, and when people are running around on them the elk leave the area. But for scouting and hauling in camp the 4 wheeler is great. I use ratchet straps and bungies to tie everything down tight. Be careful with bungies. If you are stretching one out and turn loose of it, it can whip around and blind you. I have a big flat cargo deck on the back of mine. I can put a lot of stuff back there when it's time to haul in camp. You need to keep things balanced , fore and aft, tho. Too much weight on the front will make it hard to steer, and too much on the back can make it prone to tipping over backwards when climbing steep hills. Try to keep the center of gravity as low as possible in steep country. I don't like to hang much weight on myself when I'm riding. I need to be able to move around, side to side, or stand up sometimes, to get the balance right on steep slopes. I just take off my pack and bungie it down on the front, usually. I've carried entire elk out on this thing in one load. I've also used it to get into the back country for shed hunting.

Here you aren't supposed to wander around off road on public land on a 4 wheeler. You are supposed to stay on existing roads. But some of those roads are so bad that a 4 wheeler is the best way to go. A full size vehicle will really get beat up.

upload_2019-8-18_20-32-57.jpeg

upload_2019-8-18_20-41-44.jpeg

IMG_0342.JPG

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  4. Howie

Howie Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    20170817_211900.jpg 20170817_160815.jpg

Mine get used mostly for nighttime hunting. Sometimes exploring. Street taged sometimes drive it to work

5. Back50

Back50 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use my Honda Foreman to transport larger items back to my lean to. Sometimes it just transports my lazy behind....
    DA0DEC98-2025-480B-9A9F-731139C35EBA.jpeg

JasonJ and crewhead05 like this.
  6. Daveboone

Daveboone Scout

Blog Posts:
    My Honda Rubicon is strictly a work horse. I use it (with a trailer) for hauling firewood / gravel, etc. at the camp, bringing deer out and like chores. We have extensive ATV trails right nearby, but I don't get any joy in just following someone elses path.

JasonJ likes this.
  7. Robedsubset

Robedsubset Scout

Blog Posts:
    I use it for ice fishing when there’s not enough snow for the sleds 607B94BB-8784-4899-ABD9-3D43D52595E0.jpeg

JasonJ and gila_dog like this.
  8. Chris4x4Gill2

Chris4x4Gill2 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Only way to realistically access my spot. We are a fairly long uphill walk from pavement. Yes, I've made the hike, but by time I get to the top and recover - its time to head back down.

We use a Kawi Teryx for most things. The bed is wonderful for hauling in gear. If its just me, I use a Honda Foreman. For quick scouting trips or just hiking, I'll just take a backpack and probably strap a small cooler to the back rack.

JasonJ likes this.
  9. JasonJ

JasonJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just trail riding for us... nothing terribly special, just a couple of Chinese quads. A Taotao 110 (actually a 120cc) and a random named "Dragon" 150 gy6 clone. Surprisingly capable machines. Making sure your bolts are always tight and that you change your fluids is the biggest thing on the generic Chinese brands.

The 150 is an awesome trail machine, climbs hills wonderfully. The 110 needs softer front shocks, stock are far too stiff and don't let the suspension articulate much. Could also use a bigger pad on the seat and one tooth smaller front sprocket. Planning to do all those upgrades and 2" rear wheel spacers for next spring. It is my 7yr old kids' quad afterall.

[​IMG]

The littlest one has already staked his claim...

[​IMG]

LED headlamp upgrade.

[​IMG]

Wyatt likes his covered in mud quote often....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. John from Alberta

John from Alberta Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If I had the money...and a truck...and a trailer...and somewhere to store it... :D

11. aklogcabindream

aklogcabindream Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have been using 3 and 4 wheelers for over 35 years . And they have allowed me to experience Alaska in many ways. And they are used daily around the house. I am currently going through a 1983 Honda 185 , 3 wheeler. Had to totally disassemble it to get into a 185 Cessna. My beautiful wife is painting a camo paint job on it. It will join a Suzuki king quad that was freighted out to the cabin a few winters ago . And I have a Polaris 6 x 6 that will be freighted out this winter. We always are careful to tread lightly.

crewhead05 likes this.
  12. Raymond Eisele

Raymond Eisele Scout

Blog Posts:
    We have a subaru powered utility vehicle on the farm. A two seater with a small bed. Very handy. The thought of hunting with one is appealing, on horse back even more so.

13. TRYKER

TRYKER Guide

Blog Posts:
    'cause of health reasons i can't get out there without mine, polaris 550 xp sportsman.

buckfynn likes this.
  14. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Lifetime Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I had the red Yamaha Big Bear from 2000 until 2016. It is only a 400 but had more than enough power for me. My border collie thought it was more hers than mine. By the time 2016 rolled around it was pretty much worn out. The tires were almost bald. I have no idea how many miles I put on it, but I definitely got my moneys worth out of it. I lost my border collie in 2015, somehow the four wheeler trips just weren't as much fun after she was gone.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Four wheelers are great for exploring on old logging roads.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If I were to get another four wheeler, it would probably be a Honda 400 or 500.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Back50 likes this.
  15. fixits

fixits Noble Savage Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    20151025_113435.jpg

Still have 4 wheelers for work around the ranch. Upgraded to a RZR for exploring deep into the back country and for a little fun too!

buckfynn likes this.