Bushcraft Gloves

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by Wasp, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Tell us about or post your favorite bushcraft gloves. Leather, wool, cloth, rubber, whatever and tell us why you like them. Pictures welcome.

goon, Toddg, Skeptiksks and 5 others like this.
  2. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    IMG_8205.JPG Well I forgot mine were new, left the other pair on the back of the truck.

These are cowhide but I want some deer. I like these because once they're broken in they fit really good.

I have some Mechanix gloves too but I go through them too quickly.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  3. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker LNR LB 42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    These were my favourites until they were shredded beyond repair. Leather, basic.
    I kept the less damaged left hander, and now use it as a carving glove (yes, with duct tape....) 20171019_090231.jpg

4. LostViking

LostViking Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Excellent topic at the perfect time. Most of my cold wather gloves have gone on to meet their maker.

I have basic leather gloves for rough work. Both fingered and fingerless. I like fingerless gloves for chainsaw work. Because the chips don't pile up in the finger ends.

And I have fingerless wool gloves for warmth and dexterity around the fire. Also a few old D3A liner pairs kicking around.

I would be happy to find a complete set of D3As again. I think they make a great all round woods glove. Liner or shell by themselves, or together for warmth.

5. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My 35+ year old deer/moose hide chopper mitts with hand knit wool liner mittens with a few hand stitched seam repairs over the years. Kept soft and water resistant with Vermont Bag Balm. They've seen me through many Maine winters of fire wood harvesting/chopping, ice fishing, snowmobiling/skiing, hunting and snow shoveling. I don't wear gloves. chopper mitts 001.JPG

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  6. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I always have a pair of Mechanix Wear gloves handy. They are pretty resistant to wear, lightweight, and fairly inexpensive. Great for all aroung bush work to prevent cuts and abraisions dealing with wood and fire prep and any other bushcraft task. They will save your hands. I carry a pair in my vehicle, just in case of a flat that needs fixing.

For cold weather, I use an old pair of leather motorcycle gloves with high gauntlets. I keep these well coated with SnoSeal or Pitch Blend leather sealant. These are usually worn with Thinsulate® glove liners. They work well down to around zero°f. Any colder than that and I'm still at home.

Steve

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    loveandall, Kreger, PERRO and 5 others like this.
  7. pfluggy

pfluggy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The bag balm work good , sure works good for cuts and stuff. Never thought of water proofing leather with it makes sense.

8. SAK_Survival

SAK_Survival Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    For heavy wood processing and bringing wood back to camp I use Mechanix Gloves.

apbtlvr, PMSteve, Kreger and 4 others like this.
  9. PAcanis

PAcanis Bushmaster Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like the deerskin gloves the local farmers co-op sells. I keep some in various locations and with different kits.
    But I am finding, as I cook more and more with camping type setups, that the soot that sticks to the glove is immediately transferred to anything else I touch while wearing the glove. I'm wondering if a Gortex type material might capture the soot better, yet still allow handling hot metals.

10. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Gloves? My grandfather would roll over in his grave...... He said a man with gloves took twice as long to get something done and that a man's hands were a sign of his work. He had huge hands, tough as nails, weathered and warn. I might wear a pair when it gets real cold, which rarely happens in GA. At 56, I am still working on my hands to look as rough as my grandfather's.

11. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    In rural New England bag balm always was and still is the standard household and farm leather preservative for harnesses, reins, saddles, boots, gloves, scabbards ect. as well first aide for cuts, rashes and preventing chapped hands/lips and of course excellent for milking the cows and goats.

12. crewhead05

crewhead05 caffeine, nicotine, knives and nature. Lifetime Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I always try to have leather gloves when working with fire. It just makes it so much easier dealing with hot pots, rocks, logs etc. For winter I have a pair that is a size larger so I can wear a wool glove underneath. This pair I keep lubed up with olbernaufs.

I used to think all leather gloves were more or less equal. Then one day I picked up a pair of Well Lamont leather gloves with hydrahyde treatment. They resist water, are stiched better, and last longer than the other gloves I have used.

13. Beach Hiker

Blog Posts:
    And remember. .. a gentleman removes his glove to shake hands.

14. LFowler

LFowler Scout

Blog Posts:
    most of the year it is a pair of nomex and leather pilots gloves; nice and thin, soft, and don't soak up as much water as an all leather glove. I don't care too much for the surplus ones, I usually get blackhawk! ones or outdoor research.

when it gets colder I use surplus wool knit liners in oversized, well waxed leather ropers.

when it gets real cold I go back to the nomex, but inside mitten shells with puffy liners. I use the UK surplus goretex shells and liners made from m-65 liners.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roamer, NevadaBlue, Danny Boy and 9 others like this.
  15. pfluggy

pfluggy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Nice thank you
    No cows or goats , but do have chickens

OneFoot, Winterhorse and Beach Hiker like this.
  16. pfluggy

pfluggy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You need to
    Go fishing twice as much at lest your thumb will be

17. badglide9705

badglide9705 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:

Winterhorse and Beach Hiker like this.
  18. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    Regular ol' "Costco" leather gloves (3 pak)

19. seasonofthewoods

seasonofthewoods Lost In the Woods Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I've been using my Hestra Falt Guide glove for outdoor winter and fall. Otherwise I just use a pair of Mechanix gloves I got from a local auto shop.

Winterhorse likes this.
  20. Scotchmon

Scotchmon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I find it pretty hard to beat the brown jersey gloves that one can buy in a six pair pack at Menards, etc . Colder temps? I double them up. They take up minimal space, and I can stuff a pair on my chest inside my clothing so I always have a dry, warm pair.
    For extreme cold I prefer mittens with my favorites being a 30 year old pair of Wintergreen over mitts with their double fleece mitten liners, or I’ll go with one liner and a pair of the brown jerseys. I also like my old pair of shearling lined leather choppers when it’s cold.
    I prefer to wear as light a glove as possible for dexterity, often tucking a disposable hand warmer inside my cuffs at the wrist. Generally speaking I find leather gloves to be cold.

Winterhorse likes this.
  21. SomeCallMeSquatch

SomeCallMeSquatch Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have some basic deer skin leather gloves for working with fire, some mechanix gloves for general use, and some Insulated Hestra leather gloves from Costco.

22. justinspicher

justinspicher Scout

Blog Posts:
    Most of the time I run a pair of nomex flight gloves. When I gets cold I switch to wool inserts under a pair of brown Jersey gloves. Recently I switched to a pair of Marmot pigskin gloves with a fleece liner. At work I used deerskin gloves.

23. PiterM

PiterM Scout

Blog Posts:
    Recently I've been using Hestra Skullman gloves, really good stuff:

[​IMG]

But I'm still using (hard) simple Hestra Work Gloves (deerskin) which I got in 2015, purchased locally in Sweden. After couple of years and many repairs (mostly due to small cuts with knife) that's what they look like... imho that's quite a cool look of REALLY working gloves:

[​IMG]

24. Beach Hiker

Blog Posts:
    Wore these today. Really like them. Do these have a name??
    Gloves:
    20180115_075130.jpg
    Turn into mittens:
    20180115_075140.jpg
    Nice and warm. Good to carve in.

25. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I would have to hang those up and get a new pair, they look great and almost have a patina wear. Lol

26. Nightflyer

Nightflyer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just ordered a pair of thinsulate lined elk skin gloves. They wear like iron.

27. PiterM

PiterM Scout

Blog Posts:
    Revently I realised I should find a replacement / backup for my short gloves. And this arrived on Friday... CRUD gloves from Sweden. So far I’m really delighted:

[​IMG]

28. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use many different kinds of gloves in the outdoors but for just woods bumming activities I usually wear Mechanics gloves or a thin pair of Coleman's unlined deerskin gloves, and when it's cold I wear elk skin choppers, or rag wool, fold over glomits.

29. Geezer Butler

Geezer Butler Tracker

Blog Posts:
    A pic of some of my gloves. I have been surprised by the Harbor Freight mechanix knockoffs. Their Hardy gloves work well for the price. I also use the Lamont leather gloves from Costco. My snowboard gloves are Kincos.

Attached Files:

Beach Hiker and rsnurkle like this.
  30. Loosearrow

Loosearrow Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have never heard of bag balm for leather. I suppose it is lanolin. I will try it on old stiff pair of gloves. Thanks

Beach Hiker likes this.
  31. mtnoutdoors

mtnoutdoors Prov 27:17

Blog Posts:
    I would have to say leather is what I use the most. At 1st I use to put BLO on my gloves but now I use Fix'n Wax that I make on them now it works out well.
    Prov 27 : 17

Beach Hiker likes this.
  32. jkfisher84

jkfisher84 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Saw a 3 pack of leather gloves at costco last night and was curious about them. Might have to scoop them up. For now tho I just use a pair of huskys from home depot. So far so good

33. Watcher of the Woods

Watcher of the Woods Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I just bought some Hestra Fall Line gloves and LOVE them.

rsnurkle likes this.
  34. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    plain old leather gloves that I cut the tip of the thumb and forefinger off of...

35. Brown85

Brown85 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a pair of Firm Grip general purpose gloves, they are similar to Mechanix. They reside in an outside pocket of my pack. I don't really use gloves much, I know I should, I'm trying to get better about putting them on.

36. curtiseddie

curtiseddie Scout

Blog Posts:
    These are my go-to gloves when crafting some bush. I liked them so much I bought another pair. However, in typical fashion, the leather is not as supple and the first pair. I guess they'll just need longer break in time.

gloves2.jpg

The Smartwool are my cold weather gloves. They were a bit costly, but they are super warm and comfortable.
    gloves1.jpg

37. Back Off

Back Off Scout

Blog Posts:
    Unless it is cold out, and I am from MN so I mean cold, I dont wear gloves.

38. Virgil Grey

Virgil Grey Tracker

Blog Posts:
    image.jpeg

$10 wells lamont

39. Malamute

Malamute Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a very hard time working in gloves, and I dislike wearing gloves very much. Hate may be too strong a word, but not by much.

I usually wear snug fitting deerskin gloves, they seem best for dexterity and protection when I was doing carpentry work, I could pull a single screw out of my nail bag, or load a Winchester rifle, whatever, but mostly just hugely dislike wearing gloves if it can be avoided at all. I dont even like wearing them when handling rough cut lumber. I didnt get many splinters, but if so, just pull it out with the tweezers or cut it open and scrape it out with the scissors in the swiss army knife and keep going.

I wore deerskin mittens with wool liners for hunting in the cold, I kept them on a cord eskimo style, with a sliding chest piece. If a shot presents itself, you pull the right mitten off with your teeth and drop it, the cord keeps it from getting lost, or just pull both off and let hang by the cord if you warm up. The cord gives you something to tie them up short and hang from your belt or a peg in the cabin when not needed.

Elk skin gloves are tougher then deerskin, but you lose feel and dexterity. Have some insulated deerskin also, OK for dog walking or whatever, but hard to work or function in otherwise. I grew to really hate doing carpentry work in cold weather that required gloves. I recall one day when it was a bit below zero, the air hose burst, we couldnt work at all then. Come to think of it, that strong dislike of winter and cold in general seems to be a predominating factor in life now. :)

Edit: forgot to add, the odd orange/yellow color that leather tanners or glove makers seem to think is a natural leather color always bothered me, they look much better after getting sun faded, dirty, and worn, the grain broken up so they look more like suede or brain tanned buckskin, and mellow out to the color of dead grass. I began taking my new gloves and leaving them on the dashboard in the sun a few weeks to get rid of the orange dye. Id go through 3 or 4 pairs of deerskin gloves each winter when doing construction work, but it was well worth it. They cost about $12/pr.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  40. Tor Helge

Tor Helge Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Only wear gloves when Cold.
    I still have and use the US army gloves I bought from a surplus store in the mid 80`s.
    Nowadays used With fleece inners.
    I have no idea where the original wool inners went (been missing at least 30 years).

Beach Hiker and mbiraman like this.
  41. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    Finding anything that fit's my big mitts is tough enough ,but I manage to find gloves for every different application one can think of.
    Nitrile and other synthetic gloves for working chemicals including grease and solvents as well as glues resins and acids .
    The is nothing like leather for working wood and handling trash and debris of unknown origin .
    I have goat skin gloves for driving and riding the motorcycle ,though smooth they have a good grip on things .
    I also have cotton/leather mittens for over the woolen gloves for severe wet cold slush.
    While in S&R I got chain mail (vinyl over stainless) filet gloves for handling torn fuselages and car's torn sheet metal .nothing like having the right tools for the job.
    And of course welding gloves ,separate ones for arc welding and dedicated gloved for TIG welding aluminum .
    In black smithing they teach not to wear gloves , and the right ways to handle the materials your working. (Tongs)

ReallyBigMonkey1 likes this.
  42. PiterM

PiterM Scout

Blog Posts:
    Crud -> Humvee of the world of gloves:

[​IMG]

43. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Stihl makes a good pair of deerskin work gloves. Cleared a lot of brush with them. Autumn olive, multiflora rose and blackberries. A few thorns get through, but the thick cowhide gloves don't have the feel and do make the work slower. All due respect to Riverpirate's grandfather, but I've had a desk job since 1986, and my hands will never be tough as leather.

Beach Hiker and OneFoot like this.
  44. MiketheKnife

MiketheKnife Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I wear a pug style glove for most work and a cold weather mechanix if I feel like I want something a little warmer.

Beach Hiker likes this.
  45. MaximIsayev

MaximIsayev Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ice Ninja gloves for winter, they’re fairly warm but not bulky, also nice and grippy. For the summer usually Mechanix, got a few pairs cause I go through them quickly.

Beach Hiker likes this.
  46. Skeptiksks

Skeptiksks Green Haired Weirdo Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a few pairs.

For general use I wear the magpul core gloves my wife bought me for my birthday, these are also my winter driving gloves.

15216549717131209274821.jpg 15216550285911880096639.jpg

Next we have some heavy leather gloves for gathering wood and clearing brush.

1521655101890852625219.jpg

And finally cut resistant gloves. Done slashing my hands up in the bush. Being one handed really, really sucks. This if for my off hand while splitting and doing fire prep. One is stainless mesh, the other is your standard cut resistant glove. Both are worn on the same hand with the stainless mesh on the outside.

1521655261950674862360.jpg

ReallyBigMonkey1 and gohammergo like this.
  47. Dubhelix

Dubhelix Guide

Blog Posts:
    I use two pair, depending.

For not-freezing weather I like the SKD Pig gloves. Kinda like mechanix gloves, but with improved dexterity (and the critical suede patch to wipe my nose. Lol)

In colder weather I use usgi wool fingerless gloves with synthetic over mitts.

48. DarrylM

DarrylM Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Most gloves fit me too poorly to be worthwhile. The loss of dexterityis flat miserable. At work, structural steel fabrication shop, I'm mostly barehanded.
    When the steel gets too hot or cold for my comfort, I will grab a set of brown jersey gloves, or a set of insulated gauntlets if I need to be under a welding hood at all.

A few winters ago, purchasing at the shop found some great wool fingerless gloves all size xl. Perfect for a liner. I still occasionally use the pair I was issued.

Mick Badgero likes this.
  49. nomad orphan

nomad orphan Scout

Blog Posts:
    After a touch of frostbite...
    Gloves are a fact of life.

At work I use frostbusters from shiptons...
    Go through them quick.

For ranch/ bushcraft I use leather gloves from the welding supply. Check quality and thickness carefully. Often not matched very well.

Also buy half a dozen pair of wool surplus gloves each year. #5. They are interchangeable if you wear out one side first.

If it's super cold I put ragwool mittens with fingerless tips into leather mittens.

Not feeling your hands is no fun.

goon likes this.
  50. Danny Boy

Danny Boy Tracker

Blog Posts: