Bushcraft in Sw Florida

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Drgnbckbshcrft, Jun 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Drgnbckbshcrft

Drgnbckbshcrft Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    New to this group and just needing some information about some of the stuff here. Camping here is kinda new to me, I am used to the Rocky & Appalachian mountains so you can only imagine what I am feeling. What I would like to know is what type of trees here provide the best tinder, where are some places that allow me the freedom to practice primitive methods of bushcraft? My location doesn't allow me such freedom... if anyone on here is from Florida, please help.

2. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Welcome from S. Carolina. Just go to the Pit in the main forum. Look for local groups and yhen Fla. You can probably find some local help there. joe

Broke likes this.
  3. polar bear

polar bear Scout

Blog Posts:
    Cecil Webb, Deep Creek Preserve, Myakka State Forest are good places to start.

NWPrimate likes this.
  4. DomC

DomC Retired Old Scrub Stomper

Blog Posts:
    The Sabal Palm aka Cabbage Palm is my go to tree for tinder. The reddish brown fiber under the frond boots is where you find it. It's also known as "Monkey Fur" here in Florida. Saw Palmetto is a close second and it contains Monkey Fur. Dead Longleaf Pine and Slash Pine straw makes for good tinder. You're blessed with an abundant source of fatwood also. You just have to learn how to find it in the woods. Go to the Fire forum and research the the threads there, as I and others have threads relating to Florida fire materials. Go to the INTRODUCTION forum & take a few moments to introduce yourself to our diverse community of fellow bushcrafters. We are here to help everyone who ask questions...
    Dom

5. polar bear

polar bear Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sorry for the confusion. I misread the question on my phone.

Pine and grasses are my favorite fire-starters, and then I build it up with broken palm stalks. They are full of wonderful oils that burn hot and fast. Once those are burning, I can throw on logs so wet that the water boils out of the ends.

6. Swampdog

Swampdog Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    There is a highly invasive tree that grows in your area called MELALEUCA, it has a paper-like bark that is good tinder for starting campfires; the state of Florida is trying to eradicate this tree.

polar bear and DomC like this.
  7. Tampajimmie

Tampajimmie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Fur from palm trees/bushes will catch a spark and produce flame very easily.
    Fat wood is fairly easy to find and harvest.

El Duderino and polar bear like this.
  8. Luzster

Luzster Of course your opinion matters, just not to me... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Stay away from State Parks....and state forests for that matter. Too many rules about cutting down deadfalls, branches, etc. National forests have some of the same basic rules but not enforced like the state level places. Best place is if you can find some private property that you can use with the owner's consent. Usually private property limits your ability to hike. However, the places that are great for hiking are the places with the stupidassed rules about trees and wood and where you can camp and where you cannot camp, etc etc etc. Florida does have some decent trails all over the state for hiking, but really limited on areas where you can really do bushcraft stuff.

Welcome to the site from NW Florida by the way.