bushcraft meet for arkansas

Discussion in 'Arkansas' started by matthew6767, Dec 10, 2012.

1. matthew6767

matthew6767 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    just thinking of getting a meet going maybe once a month or every other month. Thinking january 19th just a day, anytime saturday. found a place on national forest between cedarville and rudy, all primative. Few rock fire rings thats it, let me know if you want to come out. Kind of a meet an greet i guess.

2. Ratwagen

Ratwagen Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Count me in...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

3. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'd be up for that. I'm looking at doing dayhikes with my boys and this spring/summer a few two day hikes on the Ozark Highlands Trail in NW Arkansas. Be nice to share a fire with some friendly faces.

Right now we hike in a park near Van Buren about twice a month, more when schedules permit.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  4. matthew6767

matthew6767 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    bushcraft meet

cool lol hope it doesnt snow, well at least to bad. trying to get things lined out for more outings. any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  5. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    I only know of the two afformentioned trails. I'd like to hear about any others round here. Need to hear everybody's suggestions and then we can take a poll on the one we can come to a concensus on.

6. matthew6767

matthew6767 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    can get to the national forest within a few miles from my house, plenty of undisturbed land to explore. primative camping allowed, fires allowed. the place we found isnt used alot, Can carry your pack and knife and not get looked at funny.

7. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    I talked to the park service and you can hunt there too. Thinking a 22 or pellet rifle might make its way into my pack for some small game camp fare!

8. whitewater4x4

whitewater4x4 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Have been looking for someplace to go over here near Rudy .

Money is almost non existent for me at the moment and I've been trying to find a place within about 10 miles that I can ride my bicycle to and camp . Do you have GPS coordinates for where you plan to meet up ?

9. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    I haven't had the gas to get anywhere but the reservoir park in mentioned. Wife wants to go camping soon so that may afford me time to scout a good spot. I don't want to be in a designated tent city in a park, too crowded. So I'll be hitting the Ozark national forest and Ozark Highlands Trail to find a spot. I'll let yall know when I intend to scout it out.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  10. whitewater4x4

whitewater4x4 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    SAK

I know what you mean about tent cities . It is nice to have safe treated water and bathroom facilities near camp but having a population density of more than where I live normally, sucks .

11. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    My wife's only stipulation is that we still have cell phone reception for emergencies. I want to be put of the park so I can go squirrel or rabbit hunting with my oldest song as well.
    If I have a weekday off it'll be easier for me to scout because it'll just be me. But if it's the weekend I'll have my boys, which isn't a bad thing.

If yall want to go for a dayhike let me know when your available. We'll see if we can arrange something.
    If any of yall do any geocaching let me know. I've been wanting to try it. I've registered at geocaching.com in just haven't went yet.

EDIT+ + + I'm off Sunday to Tuesday next week so I may go then if yall want to go.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  12. matthew6767

matthew6767 Tracker

Blog Posts:

13. Ratwagen

Ratwagen Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Whitewater i live in the rudy area and wouldnt mind to give ya a lift if u want

14. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    How far are you from Van Buren? If it's feasible I don't mind carpooling. I've got a big suv with lots of room for people and get gear.

I just found these topics maps of the Ozark Highlands Trail. This is where I intend to scout for a good camping spot to bring my family at a later date. Right now I'm planning to go tomorrow (Sunday 06Jan2013) or Monday. The top map titled Lake Fort Smith to Dockerys Gap is where we'll be. I'll be starting in the Lake Forth Smith State Park. I've talked to the park service there and they stated that as soon as you leave the park area and are on the OHT you are free to camp and hunt anywhere.

http://www.ouachitamaps.com/OHT.html

It's about half an hour drive from Van Buren so I don't think Biking there is feasible but I could pick you up if your close. Money's tight here too.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  15. whitewater4x4

whitewater4x4 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Will probably drive my samurai . Have been trying to talk this young girl I've been "kid sitting " into going . Don't know yet if she's up to it .
    I just found the coordinates on topo . I've been looking at the map and have been planning on trying to find a place to camp along the creek less than a mile down steam on west cedar creek . According to as near as I can figure it is about 11 miles to the gathering . I have been hibernating so I will have the fuel to make it .
    Where I'm staying at the moment is a couple miles south of Rudy on 348. There is a small used car dealership on the corner I can see from where I'm sitting .

16. Bellringer

Bellringer Tracker

Blog Posts:
  17. whitewater4x4

whitewater4x4 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Just went up to the coordinates today . There sure are some nice sites there . Drove from there straight to the place and it was 12.5 miles . That far and as steep as the roads are I think 'll hold off on the bicycle. I think if it wasn't so steep I could do it easy enough( not that it would be easy ).
    The girl said tonight she thinks she'll skip the get together . She's got several tough tests to study for .
    It started sprinkling after I got past the sites today . The loggers are cutting new road on past the sites . I am sure glad it didn't rain too much till after I got back out of that road . I was afraid that I wasn't going to make it back up the hills on past the gathering place . My front axle is locked up so no 4x4 . Had me concerned for a while .
    I am looking forward to meeting you guys .

18. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was out hiking the pine creek reservoir trails about the same time today when we started getting sprinkled on. My wife wants to go camping, but she won't get down with the bushcraft shelter. So we'll have a commercial tent for ourselves and our boys. I'm glad you found a place that can be driven at least close to. My wife recently had ankle surgery and could only do maybe a mile or two tops on foot. If everyone can agree on a date about two weeks out that'd be great. We both have to request those dates off work. We could do two days, much more than that really starts cutting into the paychecks.

What are the coordinates you're looking at for basecamp?

19. whitewater4x4

whitewater4x4 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    SAK the coordinates that matthew6767sent put me with my gps about 200or 300 yards on down the road from some real nice campsites . I'm even tempted to drag FUgly (my homemade camper ) up there . I have dragged it out before as a fallback incase the weather got bad while I was tarp camping . Ya know, scout moto - always prepared .
    I think Matthew has planned for a week from Sat . That is the 19th . I am planning on making it . My ward has decided that she needs to study instead of going camping . So I'll be solo.

20. whitewater4x4

whitewater4x4 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Oops

Sorry , forgot to list the coordinates I used . Here they are :
    N35 38.014' W094 19.775

21. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    My wife works nights and she's working that weekend. We can do 26-27th Jan.
    With her schedule we both have to be off to go. That would give me proper notice to request off work as well.

22. whitewater4x4

whitewater4x4 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    SAK I don't have any idea what my work situation . I am putting applications out . With luck I may have employment . If I don't have any work on that weekend I am game for it .

23. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    I completely understand friend. I only got this job a couple months ago after being laid off my overseas contract for disabilities that prevented me from continuing my job there. I hope you find a good job soon. If we miss this gathering with yall we'll just try to make it again sometime when everybody's schedules agree.

24. whitewater4x4

whitewater4x4 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If you can't make it to camp out maybe you can show up to visit for a bit . If not then will see ya when ever the schedules match .

25. treebreeze

treebreeze Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm new to this site, this seems like a great way to meet people with the same interest as yourself. I wish I was free the 19th, it sounds like a lot of fun. Please keep me updated on any future meets, I would love to come!

26. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    Will do trailbreeze.
    I might try to come out with my boys after work Saturday. I won't be able to stay unless I can get a ride. We only have one vehicle right now.

27. Ratwagen

Ratwagen Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Y'all just let me know i don't mind giving a ride.....

28. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    The main thing that I'm concerned about is my 3yo and 6yo and if it's wise to camp without a full tent in this weather. I have an Army poncho and a 12'x12' heavy tarp. We all have sleeping bags but they aren't rated for freezing. If it was just me I'd be there in a heartbeat, you can understand my fatherly concerns. I'll see about borrowing a tent for the weekend as we really want to attend. But at the very least we'd like to visit camp Saturday evening.

29. Ratwagen

Ratwagen Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Fully understand SAK im a parent as well. I will throw in my 4 man just in case you need it. Look forward to meeting yall.

30. Ratwagen

Ratwagen Tracker

Blog Posts:
    See y'all in the morning

31. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    See yall in the evening! I'm trying to get my jeep fixed by then so we can take it. Wish me luck...

32. Ratwagen

Ratwagen Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Good luck to you sak

33. whitewater4x4

whitewater4x4 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm going to try to get there by about 9. Hope everyone can make it . See you guys there .

34. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sorry I didn't make it guys. Got my jeep running, or so I thought, and it started acting up again when we headed out. I had to turn around.

35. Ratwagen

Ratwagen Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Sorry to hear that SAK hope u make it next time

36. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hopefully either it'll be fixed by then or it can be on a night my wife doesn't work. I'm taking my boys hiking at Lake Ft Smith/Ozark Highlands in the morning after she gets home (so I can steal her car). What time are yall breaking camp?

37. Ratwagen

Ratwagen Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Whitewater said he will be here for awhile none of us plannin on leavin way early

38. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    Is there some nice hiking where yall are at?

39. Ratwagen

Ratwagen Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Not real sure there r some trails just dont know how big

40. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well I used Google maps to take me to the coordinates listed. It took me to someone's property. I'm guessing Google just guessed on it. I plugged them into my garmin GPS but it wouldn't let me put in the last three 775. It made me put it in as 575 instead. What am I doing wrong and how did yall get there.

41. whitewater4x4

whitewater4x4 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    SAK it was a pretty good campout . We didn't stick purely to bushcrafting but it was enjoyable .
    The coordinates I had put me about 100 yards too short on the trail . I turned around after I passed them . As I got back to the coordinates I looked back the way I had just come and here came Ratwagen just a hoofing it . I had turned around about 15 yards short of seeing their vehicles .
    I'll try to post the photos I took . 100_2088.jpg 100_2090.jpg 100_2091.jpg 100_2092.jpg 100_2093.jpg
    Our vehicles were parked off the road on a 4wheeler trail . It was easy walking as far as I went (not far) after the rest left . Didn't see or hear a squirrel but I believe I heard a deer grunt .

42. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    How the heck is got where I was in don't know. I was probably close to yall. Saw some turkeys on whitewater road along the creek.

EDIT: Crap, I figured it out! There's a farm with a couple chicken houses up the road from the coordinates, that's where my GPS took me, lol. I turned around probably not more that a few hundred yards away from the coordinates. From there we just took the backroads to Lake Fort Smith State Park and hiked. We stopped at an old stone fireplace leftover from a log cabin along the trails and cooked up some grub amd hot chocolate.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  43. Ratwagen

Ratwagen Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Had a blast y'all. The weather was almost as good as the company. Really look forward to next time......

44. matthew6767

matthew6767 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    had a great time, will have to do again. Daughter was asking when we could go again, she told her mom it was cold but going next time. So even if weather isnt great may still do a day run. Sorry we missed you 4x4, hope to see you next time. Well been a long day drove over a 130 miles today, take care everyone. see you next time.

45. whitewater4x4

whitewater4x4 Tracker

Blog Posts:

Attached Files:

46. whitewater4x4

whitewater4x4 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hmm the pc is fighting me tonight . Doesn't seem to be posting multiple images for me . Here is father teaching daughter to make fire 100_2095.jpg

47. whitewater4x4

whitewater4x4 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Success ! The bundle just flared up and she pulled her hand back . 100_2100.jpg

48. whitewater4x4

whitewater4x4 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Ratwagen's debris shelter 100_2094.jpg 100_2098.jpg 100_2102.jpg

49. whitewater4x4

whitewater4x4 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Shooting the breeze around the fire 100_2105.jpg

50. whitewater4x4

whitewater4x4 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Good company and good times . Enjoyed it guys .